Obtain Driving License On Samui

As Goldfish stated, head towards Nathon from Lamai end, turn left at Raja ferry sign, continue straight down towards the sea,road veers to left, past some hotels on your right, the Transport Department sits on your left, well back from the road.

Was wondering if its possible to do the renewal of my thai car license the same day as I will try to get a bike license ( I already have bike international license ) Is there enough time to do both ? actually , what do I need to bring for a renewal ??

:)

The first think you will do, is the bike licence. You will have to do your reaction & visual tests. They are normally done around 9am.

Your car licence renewal can be done at any time during the day.So once you presented your paper work for bike & waiting for licence, just walk to other window & present your renewal.

What paper work is needed? The same as when you procured your car licence.You will need 2 copies.

Check here

As Goldfish stated, head towards Nathon from Lamai end, turn left at Raja ferry sign, continue straight down towards the sea,road veers to left, past some hotels on your right, the Transport Department sits on your left, well back from the road.

Was wondering if its possible to do the renewal of my thai car license the same day as I will try to get a bike license ( I already have bike international license ) Is there enough time to do both ? actually , what do I need to bring for a renewal ??

Yes you can, and i think you bring the same documents as for your original license.

The first think you will do, is the bike licence. You will have to do your reaction & visual tests. They are normally done around 9am.

Your car licence renewal can be done at any time during the day.So once you presented your paper work for bike & waiting for licence, just walk to other window & present your renewal.

What paper work is needed? The same as when you procured your car licence.You will need 2 copies.

Check here

OK, thanks

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I have one year driver license (both motorcycle and car), expiring in 1 month.

I will have in 1-2 month 1 year ED visa, so, after my driver licenses expired.

If I go now, will I have 1 or 5 year (I have only tourist visa so far)?

What papers are needed? I'm in Chaweng and Nathon is far, I'd prefer to go only one time :)

Thanks

Thanks,

So, when I get ED Visa, I should get 5 years?

Also, are you SURE I can (have to) go after it expired?

I remind I have a TEMPORARY license, valid 1 year.

I think I'll have my ED Visa about 1-2 months after expiration.

Thanks

Thanks,

So, when I get ED Visa, I should get 5 years?

Also, are you SURE I can (have to) go after it expired?

I remind I have a TEMPORARY license, valid 1 year.

I think I'll have my ED Visa about 1-2 months after expiration.

Thanks

Ok I'm getting a bit confused after reading another thread saying you can renew it 2 months prior. That aside with your situation, it mentions that you can have up to 12 months , in which you can renew .

You can find more info here towards the last pages, or use the search option : http://www.thaivisa....s/page__st__675

Ok I'm getting a bit confused after reading another thread saying you can renew it 2 months prior. That aside with your situation, it mentions that you can have up to 12 months , in which you can renew .

You can find more info here towards the last pages, or use the search option : http://www.thaivisa....s/page__st__675

Hi Rooo, you're right, it is a bit confusing.

I mean, my license expires in 2 months.

First I didn't know if I had to renew it before, ou after expiration.

But then I learnt with an ED Visa I could get a 5 years license. So, if I can renew it after expiration, and if I get ED visa, I'd better to wait to get 5 years license.

Hope now you understand better :)

I wasn't confused by your situation, I was confused by the fact that they said you can renew a licence 2 months prior to expiry, I was under the impression you had to wait till it expires.

As the other thread advises, you have up to 12 months to renew your licence after expiration , so you have no real problems, just wait for your ED visa then get your 5 years.

I wasn't confused by your situation, I was confused by the fact that they said you can renew a licence 2 months prior to expiry, I was under the impression you had to wait till it expires.

As the other thread advises, you have up to 12 months to renew your licence after expiration , so you have no real problems, just wait for your ED visa then get your 5 years.

The last time that I renewed my driving licence I went to the office on the Friday - the licence expired on the Saturday!

I was sent aware as being 'too early' (one day).

The lovely old girl was amazed that I was concerned that I would be returning whilst driving with an expired licence! :blink:

The last time that I renewed my driving licence I went to the office on the Friday - the licence expired on the Saturday!

I was sent aware as being 'too early' (one day).

The lovely old girl was amazed that I was concerned that I would be returning whilst driving with an expired licence! :blink:

Yes I am aware of this smile.gif it's just in that link I gave to the motoring forum, one poster says that you can renew 2 months in advance, really confusing.

Ok, sounds very clear now, thanks.

I will have my ED visa in 1-3 weeks, so before expiration of my two 1yr licences. So I'll wait expiration, then try to get 5 years licenses.

Hope to go there only one time with all necessary papers... :)

Thanks all !

• 3 weeks later...

Got both Thai car and motorbike licences today. Took two copies of everything just to make sure, including UK driving licence, International driving permit, visa and house paper from Immigration.

Saw the doctor in Nathon at 8am for check up. Was in Samui Licence centre by 8:30.

Everything stamped at counter 1 with a smile. Pretty girl in quite a good mood and a very short skirt, took all us farangs through the tests upstairs, (colour, reaction time, depth perception, and peripheral vision), explaining everything, and only one guy got the evil eye, and a telling off for arriving in shorts.

All processed and out by 10:30. Quite a pleasant experience, and not at all what I was expecting. :-)

• Like 1

Wow, do people actually have drivers licences in Thailand!!!

I really would like to sit a test, the never look or give away to right rule....I have never worked that one out.

Because we drive on left side in Thailand so give away to left rule works. :ermm:

• Like 1

There is no give way to right rule if you are on a main road lol. The only time that applies is at roundabouts.

Haha, those of us who took the new roundabout (first one on the island?) at Chaweng Lake, will know that there is a difference between rules on paper and what everyone is doing... I tried to adhere to all the rules, and even took the time to read the entire trafficlaw of Thailand, but when 99% of the foreigners do not even know all the rules (some major rules as well), albeit claiming they know it all, then who am I to disagree? Please know that Thai traffic laws are much more similar to New Zealand rules than to UK ones...

There is no give way to right rule if you are on a main road lol. The only time that applies is at roundabouts.

Haha, those of us who took the new roundabout (first one on the island?) at Chaweng Lake, will know that there is a difference between rules on paper and what everyone is doing... I tried to adhere to all the rules, and even took the time to read the entire trafficlaw of Thailand, but when 99% of the foreigners do not even know all the rules (some major rules as well), albeit claiming they know it all, then who am I to disagree? Please know that Thai traffic laws are much more similar to New Zealand rules than to UK ones...

First roundabout was at Tesco methinks - otherwise - good post :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Renewed my 5 year car licence this week.

Required letter from Immigration (Baht 500)

Copy of Passport

Copy of Visa page

Old licence

Arrive no later than 09.00

Window 1 - give papers to girl

Go upstairs to first floor and wait.

Take eye tests - colour, peripheral vision, reaction test, coordination test.

Assuming you passed all, take papers to Window 2.

Pay Baht 655

Wait a few minutes

Have photo taken

Wait a few minutes

Get new licence

Painless really

Renewed my 5 year car licence this week.

Required letter from Immigration (Baht 500)

Copy of Passport

Copy of Visa page

Old licence

Arrive no later than 09.00

Window 1 - give papers to girl

Go upstairs to first floor and wait.

Take eye tests - colour, peripheral vision, reaction test, coordination test.

Assuming you passed all, take papers to Window 2.

Pay Baht 655

Wait a few minutes

Have photo taken

Wait a few minutes

Get new licence

Painless really

All correct but also worth saying, wear a proper shirt as its a government office and don't go there looking like you've just strolled off the beach.

• 2 months later...