Best Place To Watch Flower Festival Parade Saturday

NancyL

This is our first time to enjoy the Flower Festival this weekend. It's my understanding that the parade starts on Saturday around 9 am from the CM Governor's Residence, at the Narawat Bridge, goes west down Thapae Rd, turns left at the moat and follows the moat south and west to the park in the SW corner of the old city. Is my understanding of the time and route correct?

Where are some good places to enjoy the parade? We're on walking, so parking isn't a concern, but we don't have lawn chairs so it would to find someplace where we can sit, maybe to enjoy brunch. It would be nice if that place were in the shade, too. Any recommendations?

i wish these flowers would keep their sordid lifestyle choices to themselves without ramming their petally beauty and enticing smells into normal people's faces. i mean it's not like plants and trees are clamouring for their own parades is it?

Edited by StevieH

i wish these flowers would keep their sordid lifestyle choices to themselves without ramming their petally beauty and enticing smells into normal people's faces. i mean it's not like plants and trees are clamouring for their own parades is it?

Tres witty mon ami :D

Hi Nancy

Sorry to say that I think it is highly unlikely that you will be able to find a spot and gently watch the parade go by in quiet serenity. The entire route (and your understanding of it is correct) is likely to be thronged with people. You shouldn't let that put you off though, it is a great spectacle and you are sure to enjoy it. Find a shady spot where you will be as comfortable as possible and have a bottle of water with you. You can always grab some brunch afterwards.

Enjoy :o

I quite agree, Stevie. Should blossoms be on the march, thrusting their stamens and sepals with abandon around the moat?

Never before heard of flowers on parade. What colour are they? Are they being paid?

I think they should keep to their beds and borders.

I think there are a couple of places with roof terraces at the junction of Thapae Road and the moat where you could sit and watch. Just remember though that like almost every parade in Asia it goes on for about twice as long as any normal human can stand.

Tres. tres witty! :o

Greenside, thanks for the reminder about some places near Thapae gate that have second and third floor terrace dining. I suspected the parade would last a long time, that's why the need for refreshment, chairs, shade and access to reasonably clean toilets. Of course, we expect to spend some money on the refreshment; we know you can't expect this comfort for free.

I guess I'm going to have to get around much, much earlier in the day than I'd like to stake a claim. I rode by part of the festival today in a song taew and realized it was a much bigger event than I'd first anticipated.

Someone told us to go to the railway station...is that where is starts? Maybe it's where the floats get put together? Anyway we're going there very early in the morning... 8am... to have a look... :o

Setup (and usually the more interesting pictures) between about 7 and 10.30 along the stretch from the station to the bridge.