Skytrain To Connect With Thonburi On May 15

sriracha john

I am with many here, my cheerfulness is limited. 3 stations isn't really an accomplishment in 10 years. Especially when there are a zillion BMW's and Mercedes and now Toyota SUV's running around.

Edited by exexpat

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

so when is morchit going to be extended to rangsit ? and a line from minburi to pak kret , interchange at lak si ?

tens of thousands of govt workers are going to be moved to chang wattana road soon , and all they build is a couple of dinky sapan leks.

bah

agreed. they need to extend the morchit line.

10 years ago the skytrian thing was a good idea - but most cities keep expanding their lines, while bangkok just let it version 1.0 sit there with no improvement in the infrastructure (ok, MRT, but let's be honest, the routes on that just suck). I never ride either, but I would be dam_n happy if bkk could get more people on the public transportation so I can drive the roads!!!!!!!!!!!!! muahahhahha

The stations have been done forever. Last I recall reading in-depth, there was some kind of dispute about the control system or the rolling stock or something? I didn't ever feel like it was fully explained, but it sounded like a political issue. The timing has been ridiculous, but what else would one really expect in this ramshackle city. The funny part about this is that in the time it's taken to bicker about this extension, the entire airport link has been built and will almost be open (early next year, I read). That's a pretty striking indictment - or it would be if anyone in government cared about this kind of thing here, heh.

In any case, this is good news as the simple act of getting over the river solves a huge traffic impasse (bridge traffic) that you could only get around before by getting off and taking a ferry ride.

Airport link is some two years behind the schedule.

Delays are political, true.

BTS management is seen as allied with Democrats, thus no extension during Thaksin time. MRT bosses are close to Thaksin's party, so lots of talk about red lines and blue lines and taking over BTS. After the coup everything pretty much stalled for the lack of funds.

Airport link is a central govt project, BTS extension is financed by the city. Maybe that explains the difference in speed.

The stations have been done forever. Last I recall reading in-depth, there was some kind of dispute about the control system or the rolling stock or something? I didn't ever feel like it was fully explained, but it sounded like a political issue. The timing has been ridiculous, but what else would one really expect in this ramshackle city. The funny part about this is that in the time it's taken to bicker about this extension, the entire airport link has been built and will almost be open (early next year, I read). That's a pretty striking indictment - or it would be if anyone in government cared about this kind of thing here, heh.

In any case, this is good news as the simple act of getting over the river solves a huge traffic impasse (bridge traffic) that you could only get around before by getting off and taking a ferry ride.

They bought different trains than the ones used now (Siemens?). Now that's plain stupid but these guys don't care if they work or not as long as they receive their kick backs.

Naturally the new trains did not work in existing control system and another way around. Don't know if they have solved that, before it was reported that in case they use these different trains, only way to go is that you need to change the train in Saphan Thaksin.

This extension has been more or less finished for years but has been prevented from opening by political bickering. 2bangkok.com has a whole section on the saga.

This is a quote from their site.

The TRT government prevented the Skytrain from expanding its lines since 2001. This was essentially because the Skytrain company is owned by allies of the rival Democrat Party. Thai political parties have always been associated with business groups and these groups prosper depending on the fortunes of political parties. Beyond this, the TRT party and the power brokers it absorbed into its ranks from other parties are heavy with vested interests in automobile and road businesses and are antithetical to mass transit.

After the Democrats won the Bangkok governor's post, it became even more important to halt Democrat-linked initiatives to prevent Democrats from taking credit for mass transit schemes. Technicalities were also used to successfully delay Bangkok Governor Apirak's BRT (Bus Rapid Transit) project. (It should be noted however that the city government and central government tend to be at odds even when the governor would be assumed to be sympathetic to the ruling party.)

Edited by whimsy

This is progress - a 2 year project that is only 5 years late.

Unfortunately the stations are in the middle of nowhere with no parking. Originally the first station was going to be in Charoen Nakorn Road but I guess that was too handy.

The line extends many km past Wong Wian Yai so give them another few years to add more stations.

I believe the the airport line will interconnect with the BTS Sukhumvit line in one location and then the MRT subway system at another location -- but not directly with the BTS Silom line.

I believe the airport line originates near Phayathai, which has a BTS Sukhmumvit line station, and then continues out toward the airport with a station near Makasan, which is close to the MRT Rama IX station.

I believe the the airport line will interconnect with the BTS Sukhumvit line in one location and then the MRT subway system at another location -- but not directly with the BTS Silom line.

I believe the airport line originates near Phayathai, which has a BTS Sukhmumvit line station, and then continues out toward the airport with a station near Makasan, which is close to the MRT Rama IX station.

You'll still need to change trains as the two lines are different train systems altogether.

The only integration between the systems will be a dedicated walkway between the BTS and Airport link stations.

"Ten years for a three km extension, not too much progress."

In ten years, the US reached the moon.

In ten years China built the world's largest dam and hydroelectric power generation facility.

In ten years Bangkok extended its Skytrain 3 km.

In ten years China built the world's largest dam and hydroelectric power generation facility.

Priceless!

When is it due to link up to the airport?

It doesn't. That is a separate project with a different type of trains.

yes, it's veering off-topic rail specificity a smidgen, but the airport rail link has had its own "special problems" :o

supposedly it was supposed to open this year in 2009... but I have my doubts...

Railway authority to extend Airport Link construction contract

Despite criticism about the current constructor of the airport link, the Railway Authority of Thailand is likely to extend the contract with the current company.

Moreover, the new contractor would likely absorb additional operation costs of around 8 billion baht for the delayed project. Therefore, he is afraid no other company would be interested in inheriting the burden.

- Thailand Outlook

Deputy rail boss must face charge

The Assets Scrutiny Committee (ASC) yesterday turned down a proposal by its sub-committee on the Suvarnabhumi Airport Rail Link that a deputy governor of the State Railway of Thailand (SRT) be exempted from charges. The fact-finding team, headed by Kaewsan Atipho, proposed that deputy governor Yutthana Thapcharoen be made a key witness in the corruption case and that he be spared the malfeasance charges the ASC would press against senior SRT officers. The ASC source said that the commitee disagreed with the sub-panel's recommendation and suggested that all officers allegedly involved in graft should face charges. The rail link, estimated to cost 26 billion baht, will run between inner Bangkok and Suvarnabhumi airport, and was initiated by the ousted Thaksin Shinawatra government.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/19Sep2007_news02.php

UPDATE

Transport Ministry Extends Airport Link Construction Period for 370 Days

The Transport Ministry allowed the contractor of the new airport electric train project to extend its construction period for a year after a delay in handover of land by the railways authority. The signing of the renewal contract is expected to be done by January next year.

Inspector of the Transport Ministry Supoj Saplom says the ministry's committee has resolved to prolong the construction period of the sky-train project between Bangkok downtown and Suvarnabhumi Airport or the Airport Rail Link for 370 days starting from August 7 this year.

The permission was granted due to the delay in handover of a construction site by the State Railway of Thailand (SRT).

However, the civil construction, signaling system installment and the test run are expected to be complete by November 2008 and the train service will commence one month later.

Currently, the project is 79% complete.

In January next year, Siemens company will deliver 4 electric train cars to Thailand, while the draft renewal contract will be submitted to the SRT and the Attorney-General for further consideration before signing in December or January next year.

The SRT Chief Financial Officer Arak Rartboriharn says the details of the construction payments and the time schedule of the Airport Rail Link project will be passed to Cabinet for approval on December 4.

- Thailand Outlook

In 10 years Germany started and lost a Worldwar

Whatever news there is we have to be negative.nag nag nag.

Sure.

But you probably don't know the story about this 2,2 km extension... So before to criticize the critics, you should get an update...

Signing the contract with STECON for the Taksin Extension - translated and summarized by Wisarut Bholsithi from Bangkok Biznews, November 11, 2005

STECON has signed the contract with BMA to handle the Taksin extension of 2.2 km with a price tag of 1.033877909 billion baht with witnesses from the BMA Traffic Bureau and BMA City Clerk. The construction of Taksin extension has to be done in 300 days.

The construction will start in December 2005 and the late fine would be applied at 0.2% of 1.033877909 billion baht/day -> 2.067755 million baht/day.

(the whole saga is there)

So let me rephrase : 2,2 km of skytrain... in 3 and half years.

:D

Anything else ? :o

Edited by cclub75

30095106-01.jpg

Bangkok Governor M.R. Sukhumbhand Paribatra inspects the skytrain extension for Silom line at the Wong Wian Yai Station yesterday.

The Nation

Is this a crime re-enactment, done in advance?

:o

Troubleshooting - "Is it on? Touch it there!!!" :D

They bought different trains than the ones used now (Siemens?). Now that's plain stupid but these guys don't care if they work or not as long as they receive their kick backs.

Naturally the new trains did not work in existing control system and another way around. Don't know if they have solved that, before it was reported that in case they use these different trains, only way to go is that you need to change the train in Saphan Thaksin.

This shows the brilliant Thai thinking:

So you want a ride from Siam station to Thonburi and you need to change trains at Saphan Thaksin, right?

Would you also need to buy a second ticket? :o Hope not...

Am I right to think there is only one track on the bridge? (haven't been there for a long time, don't live near Bangkok)

Edit to previous posters:

could you please be so nice to NOT repeat at infinitum that picture of Bangkok Governor What's his Name?

To see it once will do fine, thanks

Edited by tartempion

Guest Bellini
...Unfortunately the stations are in the middle of nowhere with no parking. Originally the first station was going to be in Charoen Nakorn Road but I guess that was too handy...

I have been in Charoen Nakorn Road at the point where the bridge crosses it and for people arriving by bus it would certainly have been ideal if a station could have been built there. Since BTS is profit-oriented I assume they would have built it there if it had been possible. There is no road direcly below the bridge.

Link to Google map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=13....mp;t=h&z=16

I have walked from Charoen Nakorn Road to the Charoen Nakorn BTS station. There are at least six condominium projects within 200 metres from a stairway to the station. One of them is already complete and people started moving in last December. Walking through the south-side Krung Thonburi Road to the station the shops did look a lot like upcountry, very few pedestrians, a far cry from the bustle of Silom Road. This will probably change once the BTS station is open.

post-59279-1234309785_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bellini

I wonder how the extension across the Chao Phraya to Thonburi will affect the overall efficiency of the Silom line. The Saphan Taksin station, through which both uptown and downtown trains must transit, apparently will remain a single-track station. With the frequent trains during rush hours (every three minutes, each direction, ISTR?), the timing will need to be quite accurate to avoid backups, no?

Guest Bellini

I was wondering the same. Coming from Silom, immediately before Saphan Takisin station the two track merge into one for the station, immediately after the station there are two tracks again. Weird, but when they originally built it they probably did not plan for the Thonburi extension. Lack of foresight.

• 1 month later...