Weather And Sweat

Millian

hi guys,

I was just pondering today why I sweated so much in SE Asia. Unfortunately I'm a pretty sweaty person as it goes (even back home in UK), so obviously when I was in the tropics it happened to me quite a blooming lot. I came to the assumption it was the hot weather mixed with the humidity. Although after traveling over to Australia i'im not so sure.

I'm living in Melbourne at the moment where we get a mixed back of weather, although today it reached 46.4c. Yes it was very bloody hot, but I didn't seem to be sweating as much as i did in SE Asia, so i thought the humidity was down, although when i checked it was at around 50%; which im pretty sure it was the same some days in SE Asia when I was there (i used to check weather every day), but it was never as hot over there, normally only around 32c.

So what else is there that made me sweat 24/7 over there? i used to sweat all day, then in the evenings too, sometimes even more so at night while just chilling on the beach on Ko Tao, when the temp had dropped a bit.

I know there is something called dew point that they show on the weather forecast; I don't have the foggiest what that is though.

ta

hi guys,

I was just pondering today why I sweated so much in SE Asia. Unfortunately I'm a pretty sweaty person as it goes (even back home in UK), so obviously when I was in the tropics it happened to me quite a blooming lot. I came to the assumption it was the hot weather mixed with the humidity. Although after traveling over to Australia i'im not so sure.

I'm living in Melbourne at the moment where we get a mixed back of weather, although today it reached 46.4c. Yes it was very bloody hot, but I didn't seem to be sweating as much as i did in SE Asia, so i thought the humidity was down, although when i checked it was at around 50%; which im pretty sure it was the same some days in SE Asia when I was there (i used to check weather every day), but it was never as hot over there, normally only around 32c.

So what else is there that made me sweat 24/7 over there? i used to sweat all day, then in the evenings too, sometimes even more so at night while just chilling on the beach on Ko Tao, when the temp had dropped a bit.

I know there is something called dew point that they show on the weather forecast; I don't have the foggiest what that is though.

ta

Maybe this is part of the answer

Bangkok is typically incredibly hot (usually in the 90's Fahrenheit) and is accompanied by humidity that is often in the upper 90's. Either humidity or heat by itself can be somewhat bearable but when you combine both together it becomes stifling, steamy and sweaty. It should be noted the following are places are where you can escape this heat and humidity, inside most of the taxis, the major shopping centers, the sky train, the ice arena in the Central World Center, inside some museums, restaurants (not all), hotels (not all) and inside the "godsend" that is available on almost every block called 7-Eleven. (well not quite on every block - but almost every one!) Sometimes you can find a breeze coming off of the Chao Phraya river, but usually it is not a cooling one.

Millia, there is heaps of information regarding dew point on the internet, I couldnt possible regurgitate all of it....google it, is quite interesting.

Whilst it is very hot in Melbourne and a few other areas of Australia at the moment, if you want to sweat, head up to Darwin or Cairns in the heat of summer.....then you will find out about sweating. :o

• 1 month later...
hi guys,

ta

HOT AND HUMID Newbie. Do not sweat it, shower often enjoy the ride :o:D :D

i found the Stop Sweating And Start Living

ebook here with 50% discount! stop sweating and start living

I didn't realise I wasn't living when I was sweating. You mean to say I've spent half my life dead? Can I get a tax rebate?

Been suffered the same symtom as the OP had stated, I blame it on the high humidity in this tropical heat weather. :D

The thing that while I was in Egypt, sightseeings on the ancient monuments....Pyramid in Giza, Kanak Temple, Luxor Temple, Valley of the Kings, Abu Simbel..etc, all done in outdoors under the hot glaring sun over 90F I felt fine, :D my body was still functioning normally.

But in Thailand, beside the effect on my eyes and throat, I also suffer extreme headache :o and lack of energy. :D

I'm looking to see if anyone here can point the way how to cope with this nasty muggy heat in LOS. Much appreciate your input.

I have noticed that as I have aged the heat and humidity effects me less.

First came to Thailand in 1983 when a young 22 year old and found the heat and humidity pretty uncomfortable. Now at 48 I don't think it effects me as much, actually the hotter the better now, maybe it is something about the blood getting thinner ??

Anybody else noticed any change as they have aged, or is it just me. :o:D

Best Regards

Mr Conrad

I also suffer extreme headache :o and lack of energy. :D

That sounds like dehydration setting in (or too much Beer Chang) :D

Drink more water, no that's not enough, more!!

Edited by Crossy

A while ago I have asked similar question bud did not get any responses. I believe that after few years of living in warm climate, your body will adjust, your blood will get thinner and you should be able to bear with heat. I'm not a medic but I think that Thais do not differ that much from us. Aren't we all humans ? :o

Here is a link to my post if anyone is interested.

HERE

Regards, Bartek.

I also suffer extreme headache :o and lack of energy. :D

That sounds like dehydration setting in (or too much Beer Chang) :D

Drink more water, no that's not enough, more!!

:D

The true is that I'm a non-drinker (not even wine). Whenever I'm in LOS, I drink coconut juice all the way, it's cheap, refleshing and can be found every street corner.

quoted.......I have noticed that as I have aged the heat and humidity effects me less..."

Mr.conrad, I think you're lucky to feel that way. I wish my body works that way too, but unfortunately it is not. In my case, each year passes, my body is less tolerent with the heat in LOS.

Every trip back home ( to BKK) in latest years, I feel the weather is getting hotter ( even though always pick to come home in December) each year. Complain to my childhood Thai friends.... Is it my body can't take the heat or is it BKK getting hotter ? :o They usually agree that the place is getting hotter. They said LOS has two seasons....hot and hotter.

I'm still searching for the cool ( I mean less hot) spot, has anyone found yet ?

The true is that I'm a non-drinker (not even wine). Whenever I'm in LOS, I drink coconut juice all the way, it's cheap, refleshing and can be found every street corner.

We can rule out the beer then :D

There are many 'scientific' theories about how much one should drink most of which are basically <deleted> :o

I was told when I started working in the tropics, that one should urinate every couple of hours and your pee should be golden yellow (whatever that means). If you don't need to pee, you're not drinking enough. If your urine is dark, you're not drinking enough. In fact, you're probably not drinking enough.

Even lounging at home I drink 3-4 litres of water a day. Much of my fluid intake is in the form of black, unsweetened tea (I'm a Brit, we drink tea). When gardening that consumption rises to a litre an hour.

Luckily, it's very difficult to drink too much water :D

The main culprit is the humidity in combination with the heat. If the humidity level is high (like it has recently), the chemical reaction (energy release - cooling effect) during evaporation of sweat does not occur as quickly / efficiently.

Cure: Don't sweat or stay in the aircon. :o

Sweating in your natural cooling system, you need to become acclimatised and staying in a A/C room will not help, drinking plenty of water at least 10 pints over the day will stop you becoming dehydrated as well as salt replacement tablets, sprinkle a little salt on your food/fruit.

A tip an old sailor told me, if your sweat tastes salty your ok if not you need salt

Sweating in your natural cooling system, you need to become acclimatised and staying in a A/C room will not help, drinking plenty of water at least 10 pints over the day will stop you becoming dehydrated as well as salt replacement tablets, sprinkle a little salt on your food/fruit.

A tip an old sailor told me, if your sweat tastes salty your ok if not you need salt

Seeing as most sailors spend the bulk of their time on the ocean, it's no wonder they taste salty - I will take your word for it :o