Which Mo -cy Would You Buy

phutoie2

Reluctantly I have decided to purchase another motor-cycle scooter due to never seeming to get on the one I bought for TW - its never there when I want to use it -(main reason), though its usually myself who has to run it up to the pumps when its on its last gasps. Anyone else ever notice that!.

We have a Honda Click at the moment and totally reliable for last 2 years, I was thinking of a Suzuki, from my youth, I was a GSXR-750 owner and thought Suzuki engines tough, I certainly use to hammer mine!.

I am a fairly hefty sort of chap - 110kgs, would one with twin coiled suspension re- the Honda air blade be more suitable as opposed to the mono-shocks??. Also I would consider a non-automatic as in these troubled times price is everything!

Appreciate comments!

PT2

One good way to keep half the population off your bike is by buying a 'manual' bike so to speak, one with a clutch.

If you like Suzuki have a look around for a second hand Suzuki Raider 150. They have a six speed gearbox, fun little bike, will cope with your weight, although an old worn suspension might need just a couple of thousand spent on a new rear gas shock & then you will be in business. They are more powerful than most the autos & if your an old biker, then you will enjoy having a clutch and some gear to play with.

You should be able to pick up a decent one, low miles etc for 20k give or take 5k, depending on condition.

ps: An alternate but similar type of bike to the Raider is a much more commonly seen bike the Honda Sonic 125, with a 5 speed gear box, which you could buy new (the raider has stopped in production) or the sonics are everywhere second hand.)

Edited by neverdie

if you want a scooter type, i'd definately back up neverdies remarks about the raider...hot little bike, the transmission and powerband are race quality.

besides, since its a manual, your wife probably wont want to touch it.

most all thai bikes with mono shock rear suspension can have the spring adjusted by turning the tensioning nut located at the end of the spring to adjust for ride height and saddle sag.

Edited by Vato

My wife and I lived in Jomtien but she has a house in Loei province. We kept a Honda Wave in Jomtien and a Suzuki Best in Loei. When we finally made the move to Loei, we took the Honda with us. We decided then that there was no need to keep both bikes. The Honda was cold blooded and needed the choke played with to keep it running until it warmed up. Both bikes had less than 8,000 kilometers so obviously not worn out. The Suzuki was one kick, no choke at all and off you go. The Honda seat was more comfortable for me but the Suzuki engine made selling the Honda a no brainer. The Suzuki also has a lot more power.

I bought a Honda CZi 110 last Sep. Very happy with it, 60+ km/L on gasohol 91 or E20, always starts first kick. I've also heard very good reports on the small manual and semi manual (no clutch) Yamahas and Suzukis

Anything with a clutch and belt drive is appealing. A big Suzuki in good condition sounds appealing too. I've had 10 big Suzies so maybe I am a little biased. :o

PS: A big Kwaka would be good to.

Edited by BSJ

My wife and I lived in Jomtien but she has a house in Loei province. We kept a Honda Wave in Jomtien and a Suzuki Best in Loei. When we finally made the move to Loei, we took the Honda with us. We decided then that there was no need to keep both bikes. The Honda was cold blooded and needed the choke played with to keep it running until it warmed up. Both bikes had less than 8,000 kilometers so obviously not worn out. The Suzuki was one kick, no choke at all and off you go. The Honda seat was more comfortable for me but the Suzuki engine made selling the Honda a no brainer. The Suzuki also has a lot more power.

GaryA, I absolutely luv ur posts, they are always entertaining. THANKYOU!

I'd go for the sonic.

JK, why would you go for a sonic, because they still make them?? or another reason. I have ridden the sonic, drives me nuts because its only got a 5 speed box & I always feel the need to change up. I would of thought you would of suggested cbr150?

Maybe the OP should be talkin to crobiker....just go hel_l for leather and buy a 1400 :o

GaryA, I absolutely luv ur posts, they are always entertaining. THANKYOU!

I'd go for the sonic.

JK, why would you go for a sonic, because they still make them?? or another reason. I have ridden the sonic, drives me nuts because its only got a 5 speed box & I always feel the need to change up. I would of thought you would of suggested cbr150?

Maybe the OP should be talkin to crobiker....just go hel_l for leather and buy a 1400 :o

Because I thought he was after a scooterish bike, not a sports one.

In which case, if he's got the money, ought to get himself an R1 rocket bike :D

:o Thanks all for the replies, yes it is a scooter I am after as I do not travel great distances in this town in Petchabun. Up to the ATM and the Post Office & market are about my limits, but the main reason as I stated was to have a second bike around when the Honda Click is not about.

We have a Nissan Pick-up for traveling longer distances.

All the main dealers have shops here so I will do a little shopping but you know when a 'farang' walks in, the locals all think we have bags of money, so not too much fun.

Clutch and gears ! yes I do recall those, I gave up full time biking in the UK a few years ago, a combination of bad back and the roads being too busy, the introduction of mobile phones seemed to nail it for me, everyone was on one when approaching roundabouts etc, surprised when they sighted a motor-cyclist.

Last machine was a Honda Firestorm which carried myself easily enough, so could I squeeze myself onto one of those Raiders ???? :D

My top 3 of silly bikes, is First the Honda Wave 125i, Second place the good old, with new technology Honda Wave 110i and taking the 3th place is the Honda CZ-110i. Hmm all Honda's, if you want to go with a CVT I would also be looking at Honda for a AirBlade or a Click-i, the Suzuki Skydrive 125i is currently the strongest CVT scooter available.

For none fuel-injection you should also look at the Kawasaki Kaze series, they have a friendly price and are remarkable good to ride. I personal would not buy any other Honda models, at the moment, as all none fuel-injection models will either be upgraded to fuel-injection or be discontinued.

Fuel injection is the future, it is really remarkable how smooth and powerful the new bikes ride, considering they have tiny engines. For myself the looks of a smaller bike is not that important, I'm 195cm/100kg so I look silly on any smaller bike.

Edited by Richard-BKK

:o Thanks all for the replies, yes it is a scooter I am after as I do not travel great distances in this town in Petchabun. Up to the ATM and the Post Office & market are about my limits, but the main reason as I stated was to have a second bike around when the Honda Click is not about.

We have a Nissan Pick-up for traveling longer distances.

All the main dealers have shops here so I will do a little shopping but you know when a 'farang' walks in, the locals all think we have bags of money, so not too much fun.

Clutch and gears ! yes I do recall those, I gave up full time biking in the UK a few years ago, a combination of bad back and the roads being too busy, the introduction of mobile phones seemed to nail it for me, everyone was on one when approaching roundabouts etc, surprised when they sighted a motor-cyclist.

Last machine was a Honda Firestorm which carried myself easily enough, so could I squeeze myself onto one of those Raiders ???? :D

OP, If your squeezing ur oversized backside onto a honda click, then it will definately fit onto a raider....the raider is virtually the same as the sonic but has a bit more herbs to carry ur 110kg around. The other reason I suggested the raider was it has gears and should keep a few of those sheilas & male shielas who like to ride the autos off ur bike.

The firestorm was a good thing.

Richard-Bkk needs to give himself an uppercut for recommending one of those Honda Waves, theyre bloody aweful things.....anybike with two gearsticks (one for up change & one for down) has got to be a crappy thing. :D

:o Hihihi as I said Neverdie, I would look silly on all small bikes, so my definition of a good bike is more concentrated on reliability. I know people who bough 2 to 3 little motorcycles in the 10 years that I'm in Thailand.

I ever donated a Honda Wave to a family member upcountry, and after all this time he still commutes on that historical bike, so plastic part are so much exposed to the sun that they have no color what so ever, some plastic part are damaged ... as the bike is also used as some sort of off-road vehicle...

Second the problem Phutoie2 has with his first motorcycle is that it looks cool, therefore, buying another "even more" cool motorcycle means the bike is still not available when needed. No teenager takes a Honda Wave if a Honda Airblade is available.... (And the Honda Wave 125i is much faster and more powerful then a Airblade)

Edited by Richard-BKK

My top 3 of silly bikes, is First the Honda Wave 125i, Second place the good old, with new technology Honda Wave 110i and taking the 3th place is the Honda CZ-110i. Hmm all Honda's, if you want to go with a CVT I would also be looking at Honda for a AirBlade or a Click-i, the Suzuki Skydrive 125i is currently the strongest CVT scooter available.

For none fuel-injection you should also look at the Kawasaki Kaze series, they have a friendly price and are remarkable good to ride. I personal would not buy any other Honda models, at the moment, as all none fuel-injection models will either be upgraded to fuel-injection or be discontinued.

Fuel injection is the future, it is really remarkable how smooth and powerful the new bikes ride, considering they have tiny engines. For myself the looks of a smaller bike is not that important, I'm 195cm/100kg so I look silly on any smaller bike.

Fuel injection for the Hondas should be a great improvement. Over the years here in Thailand I have had two Honda Dreams and a Wave. All were cold blooded. The dealers say that is normal. The Suzuki Best is smoother and has more power. Fuel injection may be a minor improvement but it is definitely not needed. After 18,000 kilometers on the Suzuki, it still runs like a new one and has never had a problem.

In recent years the boyfriend and his many sisters have gone through a Tiger Joker (they considered it the worst), several Yamaha 135's, Honda Phantom 200, a Click-i 110 automatic, an X-1R Yamaha, etc. The Click spoiled the bf into preferring automatics. So when one sister got the X-1R, he just got himself a Yamaha Nuovo Elegance. Great bike, and classy, and automatic. But if you want to shift gears, I really enjoyed the X-1R when my CBR150 was in the shop.