Burmese Workers Suspected Of Raping And Murdering Thai University Student In Chiang Mai

sriracha john

Surely, a girls dorm is one place which should have CCTV's and security. I bet it did have security guards. But in Thailand like many things, its just about presentation. Everyone watches the guards saluting and shouting some kind of allegiance at change of shift and then they just spend their time observing, or sleeping.

If it was some university campus dorm I'd agree, but I understand this was a standard peanuts a month thai rooming house, of the type that young peope of both sexes wander in an out at all hours of the day and night, especially on a weekend, and many of whom are likely to be illegals with no ID. And, its another case where it doesn't suit the press to tell the full story.

the photo looks like a normal student dorm to me, no need to be disparaging

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I witnessed the arrests of probably 30-40 construction workers on Tuesday.

It happened just behind my house not 30 metres away from my balcony on the Land & House development.

There were plenty of troops around as well as immigration officials, but I saw no sign of any weapons and certainly no sign of any violence towards the workers.

Some were sealed in twos, not with handcuffs, only one guy was put in proper handcuffs and he was taken up the road to another vechile by the scruff of his neck, don't know why they could not have taken his arm instead?, but I would not call it a violent action.

Many women were also taken away, but many of them were laughing as they were sat waiting in the trucks to be taken to the Immigration Centre.

So to say the Thais acted violenty towards their captors, from what I saw it did not happen. The immigration officials seemed to be very polite towards them.

Ive deleted a couple of humorous posts

out of respect for the victim, Im going to ask people to save their sense of humour (perhaps with your good intent to lighten up the seriousness of the discussion?) for other threads.

mind you, Im not suggesting people need to argue and fight either

but lets keep this civil and respectful please?

The recent murder of a foreign resident blamed on Shan. This unfortunate murder, blamed on Shan. Do the police have DNA? Surely they have confessions, that's the easy part. Read this http://www.chiangmainews.com/ecmn/viewfa.php?id=2019

We have no idea what happened in both crimes, but it might be prudent not to cast stones. The RTP are notoriously criminal and lacking in integrity, how is it they wrap up murders faster than any western police force? Something rotten or Burmese migrant murders really do commit the majority of serious crimes?

dam_n, the media here is becoming more and more like the German ones.... only reporting crimes if there' a chance they were committed by a foreigner.

Wash your mouth 3 times with soap for making such senseless remarks

Why would i?

I read them every day (because i am German) and the only times some smaller crime (like theft, robbery, rape etc) is reported is when the criminal was (or is suspected to be) a Turk, Russian, Asian, African, whatever.

It's the same and even worse in Austria. You should read some of the cr@p there.

Regards

Thanh

Ive deleted a couple of humorous posts

out of respect for the victim, Im going to ask people to save their sense of humour (perhaps with your good intent to lighten up the seriousness of the discussion?) for other threads.

mind you, Im not suggesting people need to argue and fight either

but lets keep this civil and respectful please?

i agree but can there ever be an excuse to have a good intent to lighten up the seriousness

and thanks to mods for taking out some very offensive posts

The murder of David Crisp, and now this murder have significantly increased police activity.

A Thai had his neighbour blown away due to a construction issue last week in Land & houses, too, and now the Mae Jo thing... all getting a bit close. :o

It's a shame that most of the replies on this thread are made up of all the idiots commenting on the nationality of the suspects. Typical really, any opportunity that allows foreigners to bash Thais, the same members crawl out like cockroaches.

Remember, you have no real information on the crime, only newspaper articles, you are in no position to state what is rubbish and who the "real" criminals are.

I'm reading this from a computer in Burma. Am sad to hear of such a heinous & cowardly act.

Let's hope the Thai detectives do an uncharacteristically thorough investigation - DNA, hair, and as much scientific analysis as reasonably possible - in an objective manner.

I'm reading this from Taiwan (biz-trip). Sad to hear what happened to the girl but equally sad that a whole group of people instantly gets clamped together with the few rotten apples there are.

Not really surprising thou', as long as one knows what the agenda is one can read the news without getting too infected by the prejudice-bug...

I don't know if the arrested did the crime or not. How can we know this in Thailand? In Thailand, people arrested can be subject to forced confessions and those crime reenactments are also forced. When a crime with a crime reenactment goes to trial, conviction is guaranteed. That was you in the picture reenacting the crime, wasn't it?

Edited by Jingthing

What a hideous and callous crime against this young woman. Condolences to her family and friends.

The ethnicity of the perpetrator is irrelevant and sheeting the blame home to a Burmese illegal immigrant is a typically racist response. If the perpetrator were a Thai, his/her ethnicity would not be considered an issue worthy of mention.

You are absolutely right, but isn't this the case in any other country around the world ? If what the article in the newspaper says is right, then there should be payed some attention to the fact that the other students at the campus pointed the finger to the Burmese workers.

The fact that they are Burmese has got nothing to do with it. They could have been Laos or Cambodian or even Eskimos for that matter.

Edited by marioDC

What a hideous and callous crime against this young woman. Condolences to her family and friends.

The ethnicity of the perpetrator is irrelevant and sheeting the blame home to a Burmese illegal immigrant is a typically racist response. If the perpetrator were a Thai, his/her ethnicity would not be considered an issue worthy of mention.

You are absolutely right, but isn't this the case in any other country around the world ? If what the article in the newspaper says is right, then there should be payed some attention to the fact that the other students at the campus pointed the finger to the Burmese workers.

The fact that they are Burmese has got nothing to do with it. They could have been Laos or Cambodian or even Eskimos for that matter.

Yes, racism in the media and among the general population is a global phenomenon, certainly not limited to Thailand. And it may well be that the rapist and murderer is in fact Shan or Burmese. The point of my post is that to name and draw attention to a particular ethnic (or religious) group when a crime has been committed has the effect of encouraging the media audience to demonize or scapegoat a minority - to pile the blame onto THEM, as opposed to US, rather than to focus on the horrific nature of the crime and its wider social context.

and u believe the media.? my posts have been based on my personal knowledge only.

It's a shame that most of the replies on this thread are made up of all the idiots commenting on the nationality of the suspects. Typical really, any opportunity that allows foreigners to bash Thais, the same members crawl out like cockroaches.

Remember, you have no real information on the crime, only newspaper articles, you are in no position to state what is rubbish and who the "real" criminals are.

read my posts again. they are not based on media articles and i refer to the thais being compassionate. they don't necessarily agree with the propsitions being officially put forward hence the student demo.

and u believe the media.? my posts have been based on my personal knowledge only.

Nope, wouldn't believe the media, but I do believe my Tai Yai friends who live in the same place and know what happened. They were sure the guys arrested were responsible. I know it's very common to use the Tai Yai's as scape goats (and I'm the first to condem it when it happens), but I don't think it is the case this time. Of course, the media aren't telling the full story, that is certain :o

Student’s Murder Leads to Migrant Roundup

Hundreds of Burmese migrants have been arrested in and around Chiang Mai as a result of an investigation that has led to the arrests of two Burmese migrant workers in connection with the rape and murder of a Mae Jo University student.

Police arrested a 22-year-old Burmese man, named Chai, earlier this week. A second Burmese man, named Nui, was arrested on Thursday.

The crackdown began following the murder of a 22-year-old student who was a business major at the university. She was found dead in her dormitory room on Sunday.

Police said she had been raped and murdered on Saturday.

The police roundup took place in different locations where Burmese migrants, legal and illegal, work and live, said Thai human rights groups.

A member of the Thai Human Rights and Development Foundation, based in Chiang Mai, said the roundup may have been prompted by a letter written by Mae Jo university students who urged authorities to take more aggressive action to crackdown on illegal Burmese migrants.

Some students have called for authorities to demolish camps where many Burmese migrants live near the university.

An unknown number of Burmese who live near the university were arrested on Wednesday.

“It’s a very dangerous time for Burmese migrants now,” said Jackie Pollock, a founding member of the Chiang Mai-based Migrant Assistance Program (MAP).

“They are scapegoats of the anger. It is not logical to turn anger against a whole nationality, because it is only two men [who are suspects].

Police also carried out raids on Thai restaurants in Chiang Mai on Wednesday, where many Burmese migrants work.

According to a source who works with Burmese migrants in Chiang Mai, the police have scheduled a meeting with apartment owners and managers around the university in San Sai District to inquire about illegal migrant residents.

Police also told some employers that migrant worker camps will be checked.

One source said that migrants who live in camps in San Sai and San Kampang districts were told by some employers to disappear from the camps for a few days, and many migrants have slept in the jungle at night.

It’s estimated that 80,000 Burmese migrants, the majority Shan, work, legally and illegally, in the Chiang Mai area.

The Irrawaddy / 2009-02-12

Sorry about the victim, but

How convenient that the culprits are Burmese, pity though that they are not Rohingyas??

Exactly my first thought too. How convenient for the government to find a scapegoat and legitimize their abominable treatment of the Burmese refugees.

Whom in most cases are not even Burmese ethnicly but mostly Karens and and Shans. Shans and Thais sharing a very similar language.. :o

Thais have a conditioned view of the Burmese, which I am sure is 'drilled' into them from an early age. My wife will not hire a Burmese maid because 'they will kill us while we sleep and steal all the gold'. She is absolutely terrified of them.

I tell her it's not rational and the vast majority of Burmese are the same as her or me, but the conditioning is in there too deep.

Raids follow rape case

Chiang Mai (Mizzima / 12 February 2009) – Authorities in Chiang Mai in northern Thailand raided the work sites of Burmese migrant workers and arrested them following the rape and killing of a Thai university student recently.

After the news spread that two Burmese migrant workers allegedly raped and killed a Thai university student on February 7, Thai police and Immigration officers raided places where Burmese migrant workers live in groups and made more arrests.

"After the rape case news spread, the police have been continuously arresting the Burmese and the number of arrests has touched over 200. I heard that in some places in the city, notices were pasted saying not to employ Burmese workers in restaurants and at home or else their houses will be set on fire," Sai Khro Pha from Thai based 'SHAN' news agency said.

Most of the persons arrested are from Kanjanood workers quarter No. 2 and 4 in Doi Saket and Huay Sai, Mae Jo.

The Thai police arrested two Burmese migrant workers as suspects in connection with the rape and murder case.

The Thai language newspaper 'Chiang Mai News' reported on its internet website that a 22 year old Thai student was raped and murdered and then the perpetrators fled with her hand phone and cash. She was studying in the 3rd year as an Accounting major at Mae Jo University in Chiang Mai, Thailand.

Outraged students from Mae Jo University sent a letter to the university administrator demanding resolving the Burmese migrant workers issue by expelling them from Chiang Mai.

Moreover they accused Burmese migrant workers of committing similar crimes which occurred on January 22 and February 3 respectively. In the first case, a foreigner was killed in Lek Len village in Chiang Mai and his belongings were looted. In the second case an 82 year old Thai lady was allegedly killed and her jewellery was stolen.

"After the rape case news spread, the police have been continuously arresting the Burmese and the number of arrests has touched over 200. I heard that in some places in the city, notices were pasted saying not to employ Burmese workers in restaurants and at home or else their houses will be set on fire," Sai Khro Pha from Thai based 'SHAN' news agency said.

Sure brings back memories of people in white robes carrying flammable large wooden garden ornaments helping spreading the community awareness back in the days... :o

I would like to protest against those protesting against the posting of that image, as it was from a Thai Newspaper.

I don't think this forum needs to adopt some specific western 'media stance' on images as it is a forum meant for everyone, interested or living in Thailand. So surely being more close to the Thai media-stance than say the British is far more logical...

I would like to protest against those protesting against the posting of that image, as it was from a Thai Newspaper.

I don't think this forum needs to adopt some specific western 'media stance' on images as it is a forum meant for everyone, interested or living in Thailand. So surely being more close to the Thai media-stance than say the British is far more logical...

There is a certain logic to that...

Forget how the thai media handle things. Few people would condone that - thai or faramg - How do you think the average thai feels when they see a family member or friend in photos like that and with coverage of a speculative nature.