Water Filters For City Water Service

MeetJohnDoe

I have two of small wall-mounted water canisters I want to mount in sequince to filter my Pattaya municipal water service. These are sediiment and particulate filters and not potoble water filters. My current set-up is the city water main runs into a 1500 litre SS storage tank and then a pump sends the water on through the house.

My question has 2 parts: First, does it make any difference if I place the filters in front of the SS holding tank (so the water in the tank is clean) or after the holding tank? The benefit I can see to mounting them after the holding tank is that the filters won't clog so quickly as some of the heavier sediment will settle to the bottom of the tank and not clog the filters when water is sent from the tank to the house.

Secondly, if I place the filters after the holding tank, I assume it would be better to place them between the tank and the water pump. In that way, the pump would receive cleaner water and less chance of clogging-up with sediments and maybe last longer. Am I correct in this? Or does it make any difference...as the current pipe configuration would make it easiest to place the filters after the water pump and just before the water enters the house's pipe system.

IMHO I would put the dirt filters before the tank and pump. In this way you're pumping only clean water and it keeps you're tank clean also.

Yeah ^^^.

I'd have a coarse particulate filter on the incoming supply to keep the really crunchy bits out of the tank. Final filter on the outlet of the tank (before or after the pump, I don't think it makes much odds).

Make sure you can isolate the filters with valves to change the elements without water going everywhere :o

I live in Pattaya also and have used the city water service for the past 5 years.

The first place I lived for 1 year, I had 2, catridge water filters. They were placed after the pump. The problem was that the water in the tank over time, 2 months or so, caused the filters to turn green. I started adding 2 oz. of bleach to the tank every week. This helped, but did not eliminate it.

The place I live now, for the past 4 years, has an underground water tank. I have no filters and use the water for all household uses except drinking. I cook with it and also make iced tea with it. So far no problems. Out of sight, out of mind. :o:D