Best Gym In Chiang Mai?

yeehi

In the big hotel/appartments basically. There's a good one above a supermarket on Chotana Road going north of the city from the centre of the outside of the moat (between 8-10,000 a year though). Personally, I think the gyms in Chiang Mai are a real let down. Used to live in Songkhla and there were some great ones there and really cheap. Even the really cheap ones here are crap and they're four times more expensive!

Been trying, in vain, to find a moderate one with a bit of everything (cv, individual machines [no multi gyms] and free weights) that doesn't attract beef-cakes and school kids, but no luck. Oh well, I'll just continue getting fatter and won't worry about the extra beer.

If anyone knows of a half-decent one on the Phrao/Mae Jo Road (northeast of town) or outside the Super Highway, let me know :o

What is it?

Where is it?

How much is it?

I'm using one at Hillside 4 (two blocs W from Kad Suan Kyao). Open 9-9, great selection of all kinds of machines, (almost) never crowded (the exception is late afternoon until 6-7). Patrons are mostly farangs, their Thai GF's, and some young Thai regulars.

The walk-in rate is 100Bt, annual membership is 8,000Bt.

I checked out a new gym a couple of weeks ago upstairs at Lotus Hang Dong.

It wasn't huge but it had a lot of good equipment. they give out Polar heart rate monitors for peopleto use when doing cardio. I think it was 900B a month, but don't quote me on that. It's called Leaders Fitness.

The only thing people might not like is the front and side is glass and the people sitting in the food court can see you exercising in some parts of the gym. Bit off putting, I reckon.

Worth checking out though!

Beanster 1

Not particularly fond of gyms in hotels (overpriced). Try World Club in Hang Dong (spelling?). They also just opened up another fitness place adjacent to the airport (Body and Soul?--don't remember exact name). Cost I believe is around 5-6000 baht per year, or daily/monthly rates. Haven't checked there in awhile so it might have changed. Both have treadmills, weights, etc. Not huge facilities, but should accommodate your fitness requirements.

I checked out 2 of those gyms.

The one by tesco lotus is glitzy and has lots of equipment but is 400 baht a visit! Its better if you pay for a year.

Hillside 4 is up nearish central, from the north west of the moat head north west out of town. It is up there on the right hand side.

It works out at 100 baht a visit. Great equipment and spacious and has a pool and sauna. I thought that was the best though there are gonna be less chicks there :o

• 13 years later...

For anyone interested, I have checked out pretty much all gyms in Chiang Mai, and IMHO, there are 4 stand outs if your criteria is good equipment, fair cost, and no frills.  Of course it all depends on your specific goals. Personally I don’t care for machines, preferring free weights so my choices are biased on that.  My top 4 in no particular order are:

* Golds Hillside gym (in neihmann area)

* Go Gym 

* CM Crossfit

*  TM Muscle gym (near Promenada mall)

these four our gyms have fair pricing though CrossFit is expensive (but worth it if you are into CrossFit).  They are gyms intended for those that are serious about having a good, effective workout.  They are not fancy “health club” type gyms.

really good reviews of all gyms in CM by “ChrisTheFreelancer”. Google it.

• Like 1

The very best???  If you are mobile, nearby, or dont mind driving/riding then the newly opened gym at Central Festival Mall is light years ahead of anything else in Chiang Mai.  Opens at 7 a.m. and closes at 11 p.m.  A full range of equipment, four sections with various machines, weights dedicated to that section.  The locker room and showering facilities are the best I have seen by far.  Great staff, great choice of individual programs.  The kicker???  It aint cheap but as they say you get what you pay for.  High 2K baht to 3K plus per month, there are yearly memberships available that reduce your fees with automatic deduction from your bank account. Once you go there to check it out you will be blown away.

8 hours ago, idman said:

The very best???  If you are mobile, nearby, or dont mind driving/riding then the newly opened gym at Central Festival Mall is light years ahead of anything else in Chiang Mai.  Opens at 7 a.m. and closes at 11 p.m.  A full range of equipment, four sections with various machines, weights dedicated to that section.  The locker room and showering facilities are the best I have seen by far.  Great staff, great choice of individual programs.  The kicker???  It aint cheap but as they say you get what you pay for.  High 2K baht to 3K plus per month, there are yearly memberships available that reduce your fees with automatic deduction from your bank account. Once you go there to check it out you will be blown away.

I considered Virgin but they are incredibly overpriced.  While their facilities are superb and they offer a huge array of classes, you end up paying for a lot of stuff you don’t really need.  I mean, a good healthy workout in a gym should consists of only a one hour strength workout, pumping some iron, several times a week, and some cardio on alternate days.  You can get that at any of the gyms I mentioned for far less money.  It’s true Virgin has the “latest and greatest” equipment but that’s not really important.  The best strength workout for anybody is free-weights (barbell and dumb bell).  Machines are ok as a supplementary approach but all the bells and whistles of the “latest and greatest” are just nonsense IMO.  As for classes, sure, Virgin offers many but the schedule isn’t very flexible, and with so many offerings I have to wonder about quality of instruction.  I mean, if I want Yoga, I’d rather get instruction from someone who specializes in Yoga and is dedicated to it.

i understand the appeal of a “mega-gym” with everything under one roof but I just don’t think you get the best bang for your buck at one.

Everything in CM relates to access and location for me and I think that’s pretty closely connected to whether you drive a car or a bike.

There are two different worlds here...one for car people and one for bike people.

2 hours ago, mikey88 said:

Everything in CM relates to access and location for me and I think that’s pretty closely connected to whether you drive a car or a bike.

There are two different worlds here...one for car people and one for bike people.

Well I ride a bike and don't mind riding it to get to things, or when I do, there's Grab...best of both worlds ?

Seriously though, there are so many gyms in CM and they are all spread throughout the city pretty much.  I lived over by CMU and so gyms in the Neimann area like Gold Hillside weren't that far away. 

Speaking of CMU, most Farangs would be surprised to know the University has a lot of recreational options available on campus to us, the best and least known is the outstanding Olympic swimming pool that's open to all!

Now I live over in WatKet section on the Ping River by the Holiday Inn, and I found a great gym just a 15 minute bike to ride away (TM Muscle).

Edited by Kohsamida

2 hours ago, mikey88 said:

Yeh those people who walk, ride the bus or ride song taews are just imaginary, they really do not exist.

Always snippy answers on this forum....amazing.

Hardly ever pleasant and polite.

If  you walk or ride a bike well that’s great ...I’m very happy for you.

I just don’t know anybody who lives here who does that. So I’m sorry if I offended you.

The point I was trying to make was that the location of a gym is important (for some people) when they are choosing one.

Going all across town in Chiang Mai is difficult in traffic and parking when you get there can be difficult too. And if you drive a car it can be more difficult than a bike.

So if you’re looking for a gym it would make sense (to me) to have one with easy access.

• Like 1

There is so many gyms in Chiang Mai, I have noticed 3 new gyms opened just in my area last months !
Tell me your workout type and where you live and I will try to recommend something.

From my experience, the best gym is always the one closest to you.
Just off the hat - I can recommend Speed gym (new gym on Canal Road near Star Hill condo), Go Gym, Fitness Thailand... really depends what type of workout you do - weight lifting ? mostly cardio ? maybe cross fit ? need A/C ?