Working Abroad While On Retirement Extention

My neighbor is enamored with the idea of a retirement visa now that he is over 50.

He works 30 days overseas and stays in Thailand for thirty days in rotation.

He is married to a Thai lady.

When I suggested that he save money and go the supporting a Thai wife route, he said it took longer and was more of a hassle.

When I thought of the no work requirement of the retirment extention, I couldn't recall if it was limited to work in Thailand or any work whatsoever.

My guess is Thai immigration's true interest is no work in Thailand, however, do any of the gurus know how broadly the limitation against work is enforced, or has been interepreted by regulation or implementation to include work overseas?

Actually with a schedule like that he probably would not have any trouble with just a multi entry O visa every 15 months. That would be a lot cheaper. But guess with his work cost is not really a factor.

Am sure immigration has no interest in his activities overseas as long as he brings in money for the retirement extension.

Actually with a schedule like that he probably would not have any trouble with just a multi entry O visa every 15 months.  That would be a lot cheaper.  But guess with his work cost is not really a factor.

Am sure immigration has no interest in his activities overseas as long as he brings in money for the retirement extension.

I will conclude from lopburi3's usual pithy response that in his opinion it is not illegal.

His response did get me to thinking regarding the guy's costs. If he needs to get re-entry permits, six a year, I gues a multiple re-entry permit will do it. Do they cover six re-entries a year?

I agree with Lopburi. I don't believe that the Thai authorities are interested in work done outside of Thailand. After all, the purpose of the regulation is probably to protect Thai jobs, i.e you shouldn't be earning money in Thailand doing a job that could be done by a Thai national.

A related matter, in which I am interested, is the possibility of earning money via the internet while being resident in Thailand. I have the possibility of working remotely and getting the cash paid into an off-shore account. Thus, I would not be depriving a Thai of a job but I would be resident in Thailand while working. I'm currently here on an A-O 'retirement' basis.

Any thoughts on how the authorities might view this one?

DM :o

"What the eye does not see, the heart does not grieve about".

As long as he has the money at the end of each year, no one will ask where it comes from.

Part time work helps keep the brain working and outside Thailand is a good place to go once in a while.

Stops one getting stir crazy!!

Enjoy it while you can and save your nest egg money for later.

If he gets married the yearly amount is 400K, not 800K as for retired.

A related matter, in which I am interested, is the possibility of earning money via the internet while being resident in Thailand.  I have the possibility of working remotely and getting the cash paid into an off-shore account.  Thus, I would not be depriving a Thai of a job but I would be resident in Thailand while working.  I'm currently here on an A-O 'retirement' basis.

I've been wondering the same thing, as I'm 51 and have an internet based business. So technically I could work anywhere that provides decent internet access,

Does anyone know what the rules and/or restrictions are in such cases?

I've been wondering the same thing, as I'm 51 and have an internet based business. So technically I could work anywhere that provides decent internet access,

Does anyone know what the rules and/or restrictions are in such cases?

As long as you are over 51 you can apply for the retirement visa, then no-one cares what you do, as long as you have the 800K in the bank at the start of each year.

anywhere that provides decent internet access

This will be the crux of the problem for you!!