Colon Cleansing Scams.

sceadugenga

My weight loss is on track with a good diet and increasing exercise but I saw something about the benefits of colon cleansing and Googled around until I came up with this.

Systematic Scare Tactics

Parasites. Toxins. Pounds of backed-up fecal matter stewing in your intestines. These are the common reasons the manufacturers of colon cleansers give you to buy their product. Is your fear justified? Or are you simply being manipulated?

Colon cleanse websites like Blessed Herbs, HPS Online, and Dr. Natura, which sells the popular "Colonix" product, contain photo galleries designed to panic the viewer. Accompanied by quotes like, "I can't believe this came out of me," these visual testimonials are some of the most effective advertising I've ever seen. But effective advertising doesn't necessarily indicate an effective product, as consumers too often forget.

Achieving Enlightenment

I agree, the prospects are frightening. But before you fork over hundreds of dollars and sacrifice countless hours with your behind glued to the toilet seat, think skeptically for a moment:

* I start taking this product.

* I start passing odd-looking stools.

The logician's immediate reaction would be, what you're putting in your body is, in fact, creating the foul bowel movements.

Browse those picture galleries one more time, then take a critical look at a diagram of your large intestine, such as the cross-section shown at right. The shape is remarkably similar. And since when did your stools have a consistancy that allowed them to be hooked over a newspaper or plastic spoon?

Before you write me off as a conspiracy theorist, try this experiment: Take a glass and fill it 1/4 full of water. Add several tablespoons of Metameucil powder, or several of their capsules. Stir and let sit for a day or two. The mixture will settle, then gradually begin to form into a gel, which takes the shape of the glass.

You know what's coming next. Check your favorite colon cleanse product's list of ingredients. More likely than not, one of the first on the list will be some form of psyllium husk, which is, you guessed it, the main component of Metameucil, and many other fiber supplements.

Link

• 4 weeks later...
My weight loss is on track with a good diet and increasing exercise but I saw something about the benefits of colon cleansing and Googled around until I came up with this.

Systematic Scare Tactics

Parasites. Toxins. Pounds of backed-up fecal matter stewing in your intestines. These are the common reasons the manufacturers of colon cleansers give you to buy their product. Is your fear justified? Or are you simply being manipulated?

Colon cleanse websites like Blessed Herbs, HPS Online, and Dr. Natura, which sells the popular "Colonix" product, contain photo galleries designed to panic the viewer. Accompanied by quotes like, "I can't believe this came out of me," these visual testimonials are some of the most effective advertising I've ever seen. But effective advertising doesn't necessarily indicate an effective product, as consumers too often for

Achieving Enlightenment

I agree, the prospects are frightening. But before you fork over hundreds of dollars and sacrifice countless hours with your behind glued to the toilet seat, think skeptically for a moment:

* I start taking this product.

* I start passing odd-looking stools.

The logician's immediate reaction would be, what you're putting in your body is, in fact, creating the foul bowel movements.

Browse those picture galleries one more time, then take a critical look at a diagram of your large intestine, such as the cross-section shown at right. The shape is remarkably similar. And since when did your stools have a consistancy that allowed them to be hooked over a newspaper or plastic spoon?

Before you write me off as a conspiracy theorist, try this experiment: Take a glass and fill it 1/4 full of water. Add several tablespoons of Metameucil powder, or several of their capsules. Stir and let sit for a day or two. The mixture will settle, then gradually begin to form into a gel, which takes the shape of the glass.

You know what's coming next. Check your favorite colon cleanse product's list of ingredients. More likely than not, one of the first on the list will be some form of psyllium husk, which is, you guessed it, the main component of Metameucil, and many other fiber supplements.

Link

Wow?? I am shocked and knocked my socks off. Let's educate each other and make our difference in our lives. if you are 50 years old then I urge you to check up your colon and you are alright..no junk and nonsense stuff. This is my take and personal opinion..Thanks for reading and I apreciate the ad but, no Thanks....

Colon cleansing has been around for a long time. John Kellogg used enemas to treat his patients long before he invented corn flakes. Just think enema when you hear Battlecreek.

Every few years they come back into vogue usually with some twist or another. Coffee enemas, detox fibre supplements. All supposed to clear the rotting meat and backed up crap from your colon.

It's all nonsense. Your healthy colon can take perfectly good care of itself. If it's not healthy, you should be seeking medical advice not listening to quacks.

By the way, the enemas in particular can be dangerous. The enema tube can puncture the wall or your electrolyte balance can be upset causing cardiac problems.

There are a couple of diseases that can be worsened by eating the wrong types of fibre.

It's quackery. pure and simple.

I have known thousands of people who have done enemas and colonics and never heard of one accident.

It is concievably possible to puncture the wall of your colon, but as long as you don't keep pushing the tube in when it hurts, you won't have a problem. Who would be that stupid anyway?

I am not sure that they make one any healthier, but I am sure that they cause very little harm as long as you clean the equipment and are reasonably careful.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

"Colon cleansing is one method of cleansing out toxins and unnecessary impacted waste gathered in the colon through the years of unhealthy diet."

"Unnecessary impacted waste", as compared to "necessary impacted waste"? Your post simply validates the scamming nature of the CC adverts. All colons contain fecal material and, except for the exceptional wallet-thinning properties, periodic colon cleansing has no benefit.

• 1 month later...

Well, the proof is in the pudding. Just do it a few times. Hold the coffee as long as possible, say 12 minutes.

Afterwards, I felt the digestive tract got a noticeable boost.

This won't cost you big bucks and pharmacies sell these enema kits.

I wouldn't slug it without having done it a dozen times. See for yourselves!

Chris

If I am a little constipated or flatulent, I simply eat a large dessert of papaya after a few meals. It's very cleansing and healing. And the Thai red variety is DELICIOUS, with a squeeze of lime juice.

If you value your colon health, what is more important if you are over 50 is to have a colonoscopy every 5 years. It's a simple procedure, and painless as they give you a very slight general anaesthetic. I had a good sleep ! Colon cancer is THE most preventable type of cancer, and is quite common in Western people, as they eat a lot of meat. It takes 10 years for a small polyp ( or growth on the colon wall ) to progress to a cancerous polyp.

The actress Elizabeth Montgomery ( Samantha from Bewitched ) died of bowel cancer, and only survived a few months after it was diagnosed.

If you ignore the anecdotal evidence from likely very gullible and suggestible people claiming to have had semi-religious experiences, there's no scientific or medical proof it has any benefit - and plenty of proof that it can be an extremely unpleasant, painful and/or embarrassing experience, possibly a dangerous, or even fatal one.

Placebo effect is likely to be very significant in people who have forked out silly money for a treatment, probably on the recommendation of other like-minded alternative medicine believers they unfortunately trust. And this is largely what sustains the whole crazy deluded industry. Of course negative reports are not going to be widely promoted, certainly not on the service providers' websites.

I really can't understand people whose idea of a good holiday, or even their idea of relaxation, is going to a tropical island, and then spending their time fasting, drinking dubious concoctions, and pumping water into their colons. Each to their own I guess.

http://www.quackwatch.com/01QuackeryRelate...ics/gastro.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enema

And the Thai red variety is DELICIOUS, with a squeeze of lime juice.

Amen to that.

• 2 months later...