Top Posters In This Topic

FYI......Villa was started by the former

US EMBASSY COMMISARY Thai manager , in the 80's

he learned what American families couldn't get , even in their own commisary,

he learned about Euopean tastes too...geez ,I was just remembering

when Belucky was about the only company around with deli meats

some really good, some ok overall....matter of fact, I think Thai sausage was

around too...they had the best bacon & salami in those days...still good

Interesting stuff, WoRnR, but I must disagree about "BeLucky" bacon. I remember the name as a brand to avoid because I know that I'd be lucky if I got a good packet. I much prefer TGM bacon.

A real muffin, AKA a 'english muffin' is not too wildly far from a crumpet.. Not the same I admit, but fits the toasting fork / butter examples.. An american muffin is just a type of cup cake..

For the avoidance of doubt, this is what "crumpets" look like: :o

gallery_35489_952_30016.jpggallery_35489_952_40208.jpg

gallery_35489_952_29793.jpggallery_35489_952_54438.jpg

gallery_35489_952_20800.jpggallery_35489_952_19075.jpg

gallery_35489_952_87111.jpggallery_35489_952_62160.jpg

I actually like 'em toasted/grilled a lot darker than in those pictures, and with honey s5oeat.gif or cheese f080.gif or fried egg on top...10.gif

Edited by JetsetBkk

Just went today and even though I did find a couple of things I haven't seen in Phuket before (except in the Deli on occasion) I still miss: Tahina (have gotten used to making it myself but it really is quite the mess to make); Preserved Lemons (guess I'll still have to make those myself, too); Chipotle Chilies, both dry and in tomato sauce; Clamatto Juice; Danish/German Rye Bread; more vegetarian options in general (was happy to see the veggie burgers they used to have in Tops, though); larger spice selection - I'm thinking of the otherwise hard to find items like Curry leaves and Fenugreek;

I live up by the airport, so won't be going that often, but had to check it out since I used to live a five minute walk from Villa in Sukhumvit Soi 33 and have been missing it even since. Was happily surprised by the wine section, by the way. Now that the rest of the island's wine outlets seems to have practically "banned" Australian Chardonnays I was very, very happy to see a large selection of those wines at all prices. Also a decent selection of South African wines.The beer section leaves a bit to be desired - it is basically "the usual suspects".

Gerd - there are 3 things I would like to see at Villa Market

1. Bramleys Apple sauce

2. Colemans packets of bread sauce

3. Haloumi cheese from Middle East (not the insipid stuff from Australia)

Cannot get these in BKK from Villa and as I will be moving to HKT it would be nice to find them in Chalong

1. Bramleys Apple sauce

Cannot get these in BKK from Villa and as I will be moving to HKT it would be nice to find them in Chalong

AND

please , Gerd, get the boss to import SET Honey,not the liquid we can buy everywhere.

Wow I must say I am really surprised at the demand (by expats) and supply of some of the most unhealthy foods!

Dr Pepper? Frozen Dinners? Muffins? .............

No wonder there are so many fat expats! Look at the diet? Does anyone not have a clue about nutrition? About the empty calories in white flour? about Sodium and MSG in Frozen dinners?

on a happier note I did here that in the future a Raw Food Cafe and detox was going to open in nai harn!! Yipee!

1. Bramleys Apple sauce

AND

please , Gerd, get the boss to import SET Honey,not the liquid we can buy everywhere.

You'll get your requested walnut oil next week, it;s on the way to Phuket.

Gerd

Wow I must say I am really surprised at the demand (by expats) and supply of some of the most unhealthy foods!

No wonder there are so many fat expats! ...

I don't think any expat could afford to buy enough of that stuff from Villa to get fat! :o

No wonder there are so many fat expats! Look at the diet? Does anyone not have a clue about nutrition? About the empty calories in white flour? about Sodium and MSG in Frozen dinners?

Mother ?? is that you ??

on a happier note I did here that in the future a Raw Food Cafe and detox was going to open in nai harn!! Yipee!

ohh bundle of laughs..

Well, I'll be buying several packs of crumpets and the best butter money can buy to go with them. Haven't had them in years.

The missus wants me to get fat so that other women won't look at me because I'm so incredibly handsome.

I know this is true as all the girls in Soi Bangla say so.

Most people die from something totally unrelated to diet, so, why deny yourself the good things in life?

Tofu? Raw veggies? Detox?

Spare me, I don't want to be the healthiest person in the grave-yard. Life's too short.

Edited by Sir Burr

Went in there last night. Nice to see Lucky Charms. I have not had them in a very long time. And they had Life cereal. But at well over 220b a box, a bit too dear for me. But nice to know they are there.

I did not see any jars of Indian curry or spices. Did I miss something?

Went away for work just before it opened but went in as soon as I got back the other day. Very excited and ready to roll naked through the isles in a state of euphoria.......

Butcher - great;

Deli - great;

Wine centre - great selection (bought a cask of the good old aussie stanley "renepogel" which now sits proudly in my booze fridge);

BUT: wheres my VEGEMITE and where are my "Villis" PIES (only ladypies and I can get them anywhere here).

Dissapointed, I put my clothes back on and bought 3 packs of crumpets and 2 48 inch thick T-bones for the barbie.

Nice to have you in town Villa but please fix my gripes above. Get Bangkok to send em down.

Am I the only one that thinks TOPS is better?? :D:o:D

Once, only once, I had a browse about TOPS.... and I've never been back.... :D I really don't know why many folks rave about. It has quite a small floor area, limited choice, does not open until 11.00, and I thought expensive for like-for-like products in Makro/Big C/Lotus/Carrefour... At least Villa has items you can't get elsewhere, so you can't even begin to compare prices...

Am I the only one that thinks TOPS is better?? :D:o:D

Once, only once, I had a browse about TOPS.... and I've never been back.... :D I really don't know why many folks rave about. It has quite a small floor area, limited choice, does not open until 11.00, and I thought expensive for like-for-like products in Makro/Big C/Lotus/Carrefour... At least Villa has items you can't get elsewhere, so you can't even begin to compare prices...

They open at 9am went many times for shopping, only the other stores in Central open 11am.

Gerd

wants[/i] me to get fat so that other women won't look at me because I'm so incredibly handsome.

Bah, they say that to anyone that is ambulatory. As long as your Depends diapers aren't leaking you are a prospective date. :o

wants[/i] me to get fat so that other women won't look at me because I'm so incredibly handsome.

Bah, they say that to anyone that is ambulatory. As long as your Depends diapers aren't leaking you are a prospective date. :o

Really? (where's the rolling eyes smiley when you need one?)

You didn't happen to hear a loud whooshing noise somewhere above you perchance?

Edited by Sir Burr

They open at 9am went many times for shopping, only the other stores in Central open 11am.

Really .... have they a separate door? I've often arrived a bit early (for the mall), all the mall doors are locked, and I needed to wait until 11.00.

Definatly open at 9am. If you drive you can come up from the carpark and walk straight in.

Also it is bigger than Villa and I don't think as expensive, Villa on somethings are just plain crazy.....

I can find more things I want in TOPs than in Villa, where it looks like I am only going to go and buy crumpets and bacon....

1. Bramleys Apple sauce

AND

You'll get your requested walnut oil next week, it;s on the way to Phuket.

Gerd

I am most grateful for your efforts

would have said so personally but your phone doesn't pickup.