Villa Market In Phuket

thaigerd

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can get gammon steahs in Makro and v nice they are too

I shall take a look - thanks. Not been in Makro for quite a long while.

To HDRider - I don't think most people spend all day and every day traipsing round supermarkets. I certainly don't.

Solid white honey

not liquid which runs off your toast.

Have you tried "Vejpong Natural Honey"? It needs to be kept at near freezing as it's the runny sort, but it's nice and tasty.

...Sure i have seen honey in Deli Patong, dont eat it so???

:D Patong Deli??? You must be joking - the biggest rip-off shop in Phuket.

So what about crumpets? Seen them anywhere in Phuket recently? :o

Hi

I am not joking, if you dont like the price stay away, but they have a lot of Farang stuff and i dont care about price if i want something, it will cost more money to travel around looking for a cheaper place, my time is money :o:D:D

Forgot: i dont even know what crumpets are.....

Edited by HDRIDER

Thank you for the English lesson "teacher" I will look forward to picking holes in your English in the future.

By jove you are an impudent one. Pugnacious too.

You did write "Looks like you have not been around much. Try reading the dictionary sometime."

Instead of being gracious when caught out, you just had to get in the last word, didn't you? As I wrote, if you want to rip into people, come prepared. This was too easy for me as it was like challenging a legless man to a footrace.

(Plus their fresh food will be 850 km and 12 hours older.)

Same situation applies for the food at the other big retailers and I still buy it. :o

Fresh fruits, fresh Vegetables from Local people and Thai price for everyone would be nice. :D

If only...........

And crumpets!

What he said too!

Yeah crumpets!!

They used to stock them in Villa BKK so I hope we'll see them here.

I have seen them in Carrefour (Jungceylon) in the baked goods section. Last time they were on the other side of the boxed pastries in front of the table with the croissants.

Solid white honey

Have you tried "Vejpong Natural Honey"? It needs to be kept at near freezing as it's the runny sort, but it's nice and tasty.

We get honey, wild, from a friend in Ko Samui, and eat a spoonful every morning; delicious musty flavour. comes in a big tall bottle.

we have seen solid honey, from New Zealand I think, in Central, Marks and Spencers, but at 400 bht a jar it's a bit beyond reason.

Maybe Villa will have some

Keep hoping!

Hi

A crumpet is a savoury/sweet bread snack made from flour and yeast. It is eaten mainly in the United Kingdom, but also in the nations of the Commonwealth.

Thats why i dont know what it is or eat them, i am not from UK or a Commonwealth country

Hi

A crumpet is a savoury/sweet bread snack made from flour and yeast. It is eaten mainly in the United Kingdom, but also in the nations of the Commonwealth.

Thats why i dont know what it is or eat them, i am not from UK or a Commonwealth country

A crumpet should be toasted both sides in front of a blazing log fire and then soaked in butter and eaten dripping down ones chin

Therefore not likely to be found or enjoyed properly in the tropics

OR

a crumpet is a little piece of skirt

Depends on your culture :o

Solid white honey

Actually your right.. Deli has a selection of expensive honeys of different wildflower sources.. Or they used to anyway.

Crumpets.. We can but dream..

Kippers.. Ditto.. Tho separate !! Kippers on crumpets is too many desires at once..

i will look for you next time in Tops because i am sure i have seen gammon steak there

Oh thank you young man. I'm going in there myself tomorrow so I'll take another look. I do find though that I have to rush through the meat and fish sections of Tops to avoid hypothermia.

Hi

I am not joking, if you dont like the price stay away, but they have a lot of Farang stuff and i dont care about price if i want something, it will cost more money to travel around looking for a cheaper place, my time is money :o:D:D

Forgot: i dont even know what crumpets are.....

:wai: If I ever find the recipe and manage to make some, I'll give you a couple. :D

...Crumpets.. We can but dream...

Ditto! :D

Edited by JetsetBkk

Woo-hoo!

Homemade crumpets by Jo Pratt

Ingredients

450g/1lb plain flour, sifted

½ tsp salt

1 tsp sugar

2 tsp/1x7g sachet fast-action dried yeast

300ml/½ pint warm milk

300ml /½ pint warm water

vegetable oil

4 crumpet rings or 7.5cm/3in plain pastry cutters, greased

Method

1. Place the flour and salt into a large bowl and stir in the sugar and yeast making a well in the centre. Pour in the warm milk and water and mix to give quite a thick batter. Beat well until completely combined and cover with a tea towel or cling film.

2. Leave in a warm place to rise for about an hour until it's a light, spongy texture. Stir well to knock out any air and pour into a large jug.

3. Heat a non-stick frying pan over a very low heat with a drop of oil. Wipe the pan with kitchen paper to remove excess oil. Sit the greased crumpet rings in the pan and leave to heat up for a couple of minutes.

4. Pour in enough mixture to fill the rings just over halfway up the sides. Leave to cook until plenty of small holes appear on the surface and the batter has just dried out. This will take about 8-10 minutes.

5. Remove the rings and turn over the crumpets to cook for a further minute or two on the other side. Sit the first batch of crumpets on a wire rack while continuing to cook the remaining mixture.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database...ets_70053.shtml

Hmm, now what's the Thai for "fast-action dried yeast"? :o

I love crumpets from the UK but in Australia not so good,i like them grilled till burnt nearly then some lurpak butter sensational.

Yes, they have to be nearly black and soaked in butter and honey, or with butter and a fried egg on top. drool.gif

HI

Plenty of gammon steak in Tops

LOS.... They have English kippers as well, did not see them but was told by a friend today

We found the ham steaks the other day. They're a bit on the small side and hidden away in the cooked/processed meats section. I guess I wasn't thinking of them being processed meats but I suppose they are :o

HI

Plenty of gammon steak in Tops

LOS.... They have English kippers as well, did not see them but was told by a friend today

We found the ham steaks the other day. They're a bit on the small side and hidden away in the cooked/processed meats section.

I guess I wasn't thinking of them being processed meats but I suppose they are :o

Should be fresh meat ,like ham off the bone, which can be had at Carrefour and is delicious.

I love crumpets from the UK but in Australia not so good,i like them grilled till burnt nearly then some lurpak butter sensational.

Yes, they have to be nearly black and soaked in butter and honey, or with butter and a fried egg on top. drool.gif

The best way to make crumpets black is to lather them with Marmite or Vegemite, then ya have crumpets from heaven.

If they do it just like Bkk we'll be just fine....its better then all others IMHO after 22 years here 17 in Pkt.....but as an old timer ,some may call me, I still drop in to Sin&Lee to buy at the original farang store in Pkt.as a way to say thanks for those early days.....Villa's owner once ran the US EMBASSY Commissary in Bkk.....BB

A crumpet should be toasted both sides in front of a blazing log fire and then soaked in butter and eaten dripping down one's chin.
This is correct. Like this:

post-17533-1236488309_thumb.jpg

Therefore not likely to be found or enjoyed properly in the tropics

OR

a crumpet is a little piece of skirt

Which, as we all know, is much more likely to be found, and indeed, enjoyed properly, in the tropics.

You must provide your own photographs to illustrate the latter definition.

Hi

Just saw some big ones frozen in Makro a few hours ago (Gammon Steak)

Does frozen gammon steaks sound correct? :D Usually salted/cured aren't they? Anyhow, found a nice big gammon joint in Makro, just cooked it and it is Superb. Now what to do with all that gammon stock - I'll move on to the foodie sub-forum :o

Villa Market In Phuket, What do you expect?

Marmite and Branston Pickle!

And crumpets!

I know, zero chance of that. :o

Villa has a great range of Western delights, including Marmite, Vegemite, Bakery and Australian and New Zealand Meats. (Not sure bout the 'Crumpets'.) :D

Does anyone have a recipe?