Looking For Work As A Farang Web Designer In Chiang Mai

teamamerica

Hi

I was wondering if there is any opportunity for a farang for work in web design in chiang mai? I have about 5 years experience and can make shopping carts and web sites for hotels and so no and so forth. I am here on holiday at the moment but am thinking of becoming an "expat"! How much could i earn around $2000 per month?

I was thinking of advertising in the bangkok post.

Thanks

Hi

I was wondering if there is any opportunity for a farang for work in web design in chiang mai? I have about 5 years experience and can make shopping carts and web sites for hotels and so no and so forth. I am here on holiday at the moment but am thinking of becoming an "expat"! How much could i earn around $2000 per month?

Thanks

Hello teamamerica

Although many webmasters, like myself, prefer to have 'real' contact with web designers/developers, many others aren't so fussy. It really is one of those jobs that you can do from anywhere for anyone. There are plenty of foreign web guys working from the comfort of home, some good, some useless, but almost all seem to have plenty of work on globally. Either that or they're just being lazy when they put you on a waiting list of days or weeks before work can commence :o

If you're not working legally in Thailand, you might want to keep a low profile from local publications and build up a clientèle online instead. Use your portfolio as a show-piece and let it be known you're open for business in forums such as this, Digital Point, the Warrier Forum, and Get a Freelancer dot com to name but a few.

How much can you expect to earn? Bit of a daft question really, as only you know how good you are. You can expect to earn the same in CM as you would do in Paris, London, or New York. After all, unless you're working for 'The Man' in Main Street, the virtual world is literally your oyster in this business.

Aitch

Hi

Thanks

had a few friends here tried the same, thai and falang

working for a company here, dont expect to make any more than around 25-30K THB, (and thats good), students now come out of the womb making shopping carts/flash blah blah blah in their sleep and do it for astoundingly low dosh. better money in bkk of course

go it alone, set up a company, put the man hours in getting the business and sure, the sky is the limit, reap what you sow. but then you might not have much of a social life for a few years... and some,

edit - as D-Aitch says, all depends where you clients are as to how much you can charge them!

Edited by Lobin

The one advantage you'll have over Thai website designers is English. Thais have the technical skills but unless the webmaster writes every piece of language on the site, Thais will make mistakes with syntax, spelling or tone. You'll also be able to liaise and discuss ideas more effectively because of your fluency in English. Few technical-minded Thais have strong English skills

Edited by Loaded

Hi

Thanks

As other posters said, you will have to compete with colleagues who are earning about 20-30 KBaht, when and if employed. You would like to earn 2000 $ per month? Simply stick to your old clients if they don't mind your physical absence.

Edit: Strong English skills might be helpful, but only when when it comes to directly treating with the english speaking customer, which is normally not the main job of a web designer in a localized and translated net-world. My tip: offer webdesign to your old clients and promote the business using cheaper colleagues here in Thailand.

Edited by TaiKai