What Vehicle Is The Cheapest To Maintain In Good Working Order?

DONEWITHIT

If one wants to purchase a second hand vehicle(not a motorbike),forget about what it costs,once it's bought what would you consider the best vehicle to have in Thailand for availability and costs of parts,how quickly can you get the parts,work repairs and knowledge of the vehicle by Thai mechanics,time it takes for repairs to be done,cost of insurance,in otherwords lets make in easy for them to keep me on the road.What would you say?Truck?Car?Suv?What make?What model?What years?

Well for starters, I would probably look at one of the makes and models that was produced here in Thailand, for example I have noticed the servicing is cheaper on the Toyota than the Mazda.

You are asking a pretty wide type of question, don't you car what at least style of car here you want to drive?

I haven't driven anything but BMW's since 1988 the newest one I owned was a 2003 745IL which I left in the states due to the import tariff. Here I settled for a 1986 316i I favor the 3 series in the city and preferably the models built in Germany between 1985 and 1991, I find they can take any kind of punishment you can dish out. I paid 90,000B for my BMW here in Thailand it has more features "bells and whistles" if you will than a new Honda or Toyota not to mention it is built by German craftsmen with real steel designed to do 150 MPH on the Autobahn 2 hours a day. The only problem I have had since I bought the car 3 years ago was an alternator bolt fell out which cost me 50B to replace and I changed the A/C compressor because it was making an odd noise I didn't care for which set me back 4,000B.

I haven't driven anything but BMW's since 1988 the newest one I owned was a 2003 745IL which I left in the states due to the import tariff. Here I settled for a 1986 316i I favor the 3 series in the city and preferably the models built in Germany between 1985 and 1991, I find they can take any kind of punishment you can dish out. I paid 90,000B for my BMW here in Thailand it has more features "bells and whistles" if you will than a new Honda or Toyota not to mention it is built by German craftsmen with real steel designed to do 150 MPH on the Autobahn 2 hours a day. The only problem I have had since I bought the car 3 years ago was an alternator bolt fell out which cost me 50B to replace and I changed the A/C compressor because it was making an odd noise I didn't care for which set me back 4,000B.

:o I will have a stab at this that BMW will not be the cheapest vehicle to service here in LOS.

Edited by neverdie

Something Japanese, I suspect....parts are availible, both real and knock off, most of your common variety motor mechs can handle the repairs and maintenance and with all due repsect to german vehicles, they are very reliable and not that expensive for what you get..

:o I will have a stab at this that BMW will not be the cheapest vehicle to service here in LOS.

My point is they don't need to be repaired very often as far as maintaining a BMW it's just oil,filters, breaks and tires no different than anything else, I mean okay an air filter for a BMW, if you buy the original replacement filter will run you 500B whereas a Honda filter will be (I'm guessing) around 300B. My wife had a 2003 Honda Civic Vtie with less than 150,000 Km I put somewhere in the neighborhood of around 250,000B into it over a 5 year period, everything from the transaxels to the AC went bad. I asked the Honda dealer if this was normal wear and tear and they assured me it was. So, that was my point.

The cheapest and easiest to reapir are the Toyota Altis and the Isuzu pickups. Loads of spare parts around. mainly because of all the taxis. Isuzu pickups are relatively maintenance free. Just put gas in the car at that's about it. Oil changes were free at my dealer.

Japanese cars come tops in every reliability chart that I can find.

congratulations to the Honda Accord which ranked at number one, and to Honda, Nissan and Toyota who all managed two cars in the top 10. Thirdly, congratulations to the Japanese automotive industry which supplied every car in the Top 10, and an amazing 16 of the Top 20. The highest placed non-Japanese model was the British built Jaguar X-Type in 13th with the mighty German automotive industry first appearing at number 25.

That's from warranty direct.

http://www.gizmag.com/go/5657/

Stick with Japanese.

As for BMW, I had a 735i many years ago in UK, it was a great car to own, but when it did go wrong it was very expensive to repair, and I mean VERY expensive.

In Thailand I have owned Isuzu, Toyota and Nissan, and I'm amazed at the reliability.

Edited by Maigo6

congratulations to the Honda Accord which ranked at number one, and to Honda, Nissan and Toyota who all managed two cars in the top 10. Thirdly, congratulations to the Japanese automotive industry which supplied every car in the Top 10, and an amazing 16 of the Top 20. The highest placed non-Japanese model was the British built Jaguar X-Type in 13th with the mighty German automotive industry first appearing at number 25.

Stick with Japanese.

As for BMW, I had a 735i many years ago in UK, it was a great car to own, but when it did go wrong it was very expensive to repair, and I mean VERY expensive.

In Thailand I have owned Isuzu, Toyota and Nissan, and I'm amazed at the reliability.

Well that kind of sums it up nicely thankyou Maigo, be interesting to see what Mr Truama centre hero has to say about that....perhaps hes snuck off to one of his hi-so meetings or is out berating people in another thread :o .

Personally I would also look at one of the Japanese makes, paying particular attention to ones made in thailand.

Stick with Japanese.

NO NO,BMW are the cheapest cars to fix,anywhere in the world,just ask jungian..And my Honda Civic has 873,000 kms on it,never been serviced and best car i ever had. :o

Stick with Japanese.

To be honest mr magoo,i didn't think you would go so low class as to not own at least a Mercedes S500?You should try to save money by flying economy,then you too could afford a decent car... :o:D

NO NO,BMW are the cheapest cars to fix,anywhere in the world,just ask jungian..And my Honda Civic has 873,000 kms on it,never been serviced and best car i ever had. :o

Remind me not to buy your car then.. :D ...you mean you have never even changed oil or filters ???

Remind me not to buy your car then.. :D ...you mean you have never even changed oil or filters ???

Never even changed the tyres,you should see all the pretty sparks at night.... :D:D

The four mentioned Honda, Toyota and Nissan all have factories in Thailand. Honda in Ayutthaya, Toyota has a big complex in the Eastern Seaboard. Nissan I think is somewhere near BangNa. Isuzu is somewhere near Samrong.

Its nice to own any of these because spare parts are readily available and cheap and cars can be easily fixed. Lots of factory support.

I highly do not recommend owning an imported car. Especially without dealers.

My friend took hew BMW for a service interval at the dealer and the invoice was like 20,000 for oil change and some other usual stuff. Stay away from Yontrakit dealers. Like BMW, Audi and KIA.

To be honest mr magoo,i didn't think you would go so low class as to not own at least a Mercedes S500?You should try to save money by flying economy,then you too could afford a decent car... :o:D

After sampling Thai Business Class and actually paying instead of using Air Miles to upgrade, i wish I had flown Economy Class. :D

Merc in Thailand, out of my league.

I have to make do with a Fortuner. :D

Still, a Fortuner suits me, it does 300 Kph in reverse, has a Mach one top end and I tailgate everyone flashing my lights cos I have to be first, you know the score, typical Fortuner driver.........

I was thinking of having mine resprayed Black so I can really fit the profile of an FIF ( Farang In Fortuner ). I'm sure F I F can be arranged to make new words to describe Fortuner drivers, and no doubt they will be.

:D

Edited by Maigo6

Essentially if you stick to vehicles made in Thailand you will find the running costs lower.

Pick-ups being particularly simple in construction etc are cheap to repair.

You will also find that mechanics are more familiar with "local" models and don't waste time and money on unnecessary work because of product ignorance.

Diesels have lower fuel costs compared to petrol/gas counterparts - they also tend to be longer-lived

After sampling Thai Business Class and actually paying instead of using Air Miles to upgrade, i wish I had flown Economy Class. :D

I have to make do with a Fortuner. :P

Still, a Fortuner suits me, it does 300 Kph in reverse, has a Mach one top end and I tailgate everyone flashing my lights cos I have to be first, you know the score, typical Fortuner driver.........

I was thinking of having mine resprayed Black so I can really fit the profile of an FIF ( Farang In Fortuner ). I'm sure F I F can be arranged to make new words to describe Fortuner drivers, and no doubt they will be.

That would be matt black?Merc. prices are off the planet in Thailand,i know...I've got two :wai: Don't ask..... :D

I have to make do with a Fortuner. :wai:

Whats your frequent flyers upgrades got to do with cars Maigo. Interestingly, what do you use your points for if you don't upgrade with them....excess luggage? You are one bitter and twisted camper, arnt you. Ohh by the way, I paid for my last business class fare, but the one before that was an upgrade :D

A couple of members suggested the Toyota Soluna, which I would suggest as well. We just had our most expensive repair done (clutch replacement) at the best full service car shop in Chiang Mai. Total cost with a steering system check was 2500 baht. Included a car wash and tire treatment. There are so many Soluna's in Thailand that parts availability and mechanical knowledge is very high. They drive nicely as well.

Whats your frequent flyers upgrades got to do with cars Maigo. Interestingly, what do you use your points for if you don't upgrade with them....excess luggage? You are one bitter and twisted camper, arnt you. Ohh by the way, I paid for my last business class fare, but the one before that was an upgrade :o

Funnily enough my next flight will be an upgrade with miles. :D

Bitter and twisted ? LOL..........Yeah right. :D

Anyway, <deleted> has this got to do with motoring pal ? :D

If you ever see a silver Fortuner approaching you at 600 Mph, just move outta the way, alright !! Or I'll be picking bits of you outta my radiator for weeks , yukkkkkk, :D

Edited by Maigo6

Whats your frequent flyers upgrades got to do with cars Maigo. Interestingly, what do you use your points for if you don't upgrade with them....excess luggage? You are one bitter and twisted camper, arnt you. Ohh by the way, I paid for my last business class fare, but the one before that was an upgrade :o

If you ever see a silver Fortuner approaching you at 600 Mph, just move outta the way, alright !! Or I'll be picking bits of you outta my radiator for weeks , yukkkkkk, :D

I look forward to our meeting Maigo, I'm not sure if you will enjoy it as much as me though.....perhaps you might like to bring a jar when you come along. :wai:

It will also be your shout since you drive a silver thai merecedes (fortuner).

the newest one I owned was a 2003 745IL which I left in the states due to the import tariff. Here I settled for a 1986 316i

WOW! From a 2003 7 series to an 86 3 series with a piddly little engine! I take it you had a pretty lady to take your mind off that enormous downshift in your level of transportation? I think i would have stayed in the States myself. :o

Yep, I'll stand you a few beers no problem.... :D

By the way I was looking on the web today and saw that Brabus has the fastest off roader with a converted Mercedes will do 0-100 Kph in 4.2 seconds and 150 Mph cos it's restricted, shouldbe good for 180 Mph with restricer removed. :D

I'm gonna spend 400,000 Baht on my Fortuner and get about 1000 BHP, 60 Mph in 3 seconds and a 9 second 1/4 mile, like I told you, beware of the Silver Menace! :o And then I woke up................... :D

Although there was a link here once to a guy that has a 1000 BHP Fortuner, no Idea what the performance was, but it must have been shattering !!!! :D And really fawking scarey !

Edited by Maigo6

If you ever see a silver Fortuner approaching you at 600 Mph, just move outta the way, alright !! Or I'll be picking bits of you outta my radiator for weeks , yukkkkkk, :P

I look forward to our meeting Maigo, I'm not sure if you will enjoy it as much as me though.....perhaps you might like to bring a jar when you come along. :jerk:

Jeez,you guys make me laugh,I LOVE IT!!!! :D I want to start a thread just for Neverdead and Mr Magoo..........I reckon you guys could stop the whole forum,possibly pull the biggest numbers ever!!! :wai:

Yep, I'll stand you a few beers no problem.... :P

By the way I was looking on the web today and saw that Brabus has the fastest off roader with a converted Mercedes will do 0-100 Kph in 4.2 seconds and 150 Mph cos it's restricted, shouldbe good for 180 Mph with restricer removed. :D

I'm gonna spend 400,000 Baht on my Fortuner and get about 1000 BHP, 60 Mph in 3 seconds and a 9 second 1/4 mile, like I told you, beware of the Silver Menace! :D And then I woke up................... :D

Although there was a link here once to a guy that has a 1000 BHP Fortuner, no Idea what the performance was, but it must have been shattering !!!! :D And really fawking scarey !

Holy cow,a 1000BHP Fortuner??????????Where can i get one.... :o I'm not really big on Mercs myself,but the wife insists........ :wai: