Recent Dining Experiences - Reviews

cochran

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ALOIS is a new restaurant at the bottom of Tapprayah road (next to ATV track). All are ex staff from Bruno's (yes another Wi's and Cherry's). The menu is pretty similar, the food good and prices are very reasonable. Sevice excellent.

No, haven't been there at all. The only German place on Beach Road I've tried is Hopf, and while their beer is okay, the menu isn't too hot (IMO). I'll try to check out the Brew Haus.

That's the place I meant...so you have tried it. I only go there to get my bacon pizza fix...so just wanted to put it out there if you hadn't tried it yet.

As to Alois, that's the 3rd place that I know of where staff has broken away from Bruno's. (I see from their website that the Captains are the same guys I knew from Brunos: http://aloispattaya.com/menu_page2.html ) This certainly goes a long way to explaining why Bruno's has been crap for years now! It's never really been the same since they moved from their original place in north Pattaya to Jomtien. I haven't been for years now as the food was clearly going down hill even then and a friend confirmed that it hasn't improved at all as they had a very disappointing meal there recently.

But we have almost the same food for less than half the price at Cherry's. Will have to give this Alois place a try.

Edited by MeetJohnDoe

Pizza Review:

Place: Nandas

Location: Jomtien Beach Road, near soi 8 and Jomtien Boathouse Hotel

Pizza sampled: Seafood Pizza

Cost: 250 Baht

Picture in menu vs. pizza: picture in menu showed abundant toppings, actual pizza sparse

Crust: Euro style, Thinnish crust, thicker at sides, on the crispy side, taste neutral and cardboard-like

Toppings: Cheese -- minimal, Seafood -- minimal, one small shrimp piece, mussel piece and squid piece on each slice, not very fresh, not rotten either, almost no taste of sea while eating, tomato sauce, minimal

Surprise: Sliced canned black olives on the seafood pizza, as nothing else tasted of anything that was the dominant flavor of the pizza

Tease: Big Picture on the wall of a pepperoni type pizza showing about five times the amount of toppings as on the actual pizza

Decor: Lovely, pleasant, outside tables with ocean view, not noisy or smelly

Service: Neutral but a tad bit on the surly side, general impression, we are surprised anyone is eating here

Drink prices: Soda Water 50 baht :)

Pizza on a 1 to 10 scale: 2

Value for money: below average

Overall impression: mildly ripped off, they gave the absolute minimum of what they could give without i nviting complaints or refused payments; sadly another tourist trap with no expectation of repeat visits

Would go again? NEVER

Caveat: I know some of you like thin tasteless crusts with minimalist toppings, this is your place!

Enjoy!

Edited by Jingthing

Pizza Review:

Place: Nandas

Location: Jomtien Beach Road, near soi 8 and Jomtien Boathouse Hotel

Pizza sampled: Seafood Pizza

Cost: 250 Baht

Picture in menu vs. pizza: picture in menu showed abundant toppings, actual pizza sparse

Overall impression: mildly ripped off, they gave the absolute minimum of what they could give without inviting complaints or refused payments; sadly another tourist trap with no expectation to repeat visits

Would go again? NEVER

That's too bad for you Jing...but thanks for guinea-pigging the place for the rest of us. If all their pizzas are that bad, the place won't be around long...not with all the good pizzas in Patters. Pan-Pan (original Jomtien location) has good pizzas if you like very thin crust ; also Gian's, right next to Brunos, is very good as well.

just to say that me and the wife went to simons fish and chips in jomtien and i would say its like the fish and chips back at home

Aww, It's a crying shame that a grown man has never had proper fish and chips!! :)

Is there anyplace around that does fried fish in the southern US style - with corn meal instead of a beer batter? You know, a very thin coating on the outside instead of very thick breading.

Food is great, the manager used to run two German restaurants in Bangkok before and they do have a German chef, too.

Saw that place recently...do they have a full a la carte German food menu or only limited selection of stuff to drink with beer like that roast pork knuckle and such?

they have the pork knuckle in both the cooked and fried variant.

Lots of sausage dishes (try the Thüringer!) coming with sauerkraut (above average and huge portion) and home fries.

As for the pork knuckle, they are ok, but not outstanding. The best ones are still at Bei Otto in Bangkok, but they also come at a price. Considering that I paid last November in Munich in a traditional Brauhaus the equivalent of 320 Baht for a pork Knuckle (and it was a benchmark knuckle!) I wonder how Otto and others can rectify asking MORE money for the same product at LESS raw material and production costs.

Cherry's Friday all you can eat BBQ ribs nite.

Which Cherry's?

opposite Xzite disco on 3rd Road

went to Cherrys for the ribs last night

it was excellent as usual

lots of promotions going on there on different nights

there were about 40 people in there at 7-30

they deserve their success.

Is there anyplace around that does fried fish in the southern US style - with corn meal instead of a beer batter? You know, a very thin coating on the outside instead of very thick breading.

I believe I saw a sign outside of Sportsman offering either way. Also Seaside 2 and Sailor have fish breaded with bread crumbs not corn meal @ B120 for complete meal, it is Tilapia though not Cod.

Another couple of new places:

Thursday night (I think) we went in search of the restaurant that had been mentioned here earlier, Alois. We didn't find it (wait, more on that later) and so were cruising around aimlessly and found ourselves over on the southern end. We drove along the beach at Jomtien and didn't want to wait any longer for dinner - it was already quite late - so stopped in at Holland House.

In a word...don't. The menu is not very impressive, very standard fare in my opinion. I ordered the inevitable onion soup, and found it to be quite average. I tried to order salmon as my entree, but they were out and I didn't have an appetite for anything else on the menu. My girlfriend had the minestrone, I think, and wasn't too impressed. She also had baked fish with a small salad and french fries - a swing and a miss. Not too much to recommend here.

Of course, on the way home, we drove right past Alois! Total Homer Simpson, smack-myself-on-the-forehead, doh!! moment.

So last night we retraced our steps and had dinner at Alois. First impressions: this was a larger and nicer restaurant than I was expecting. I keyed in on the comments of "...another Cherry's or Wii's...", and while this is not an inaccurate statement, it led to a surprise when I walked into the quite well-appointed dining room at Alois.

The service here is the equal of anything I've had in Thailand. Very professional staff, management on the floor, available but not obtrusive...you couldn't ask for anything more. I ordered a Tom Collins to start, and it was really excellent - cold, refreshing, not too sweet, but just right. This cocktail was easily the equal of Mantra, which is my baseline for this particular drink. I was pleased. We also ordered a bottle of wine, a 2006 cabernet sauvignon. I forget the name, but its number 446 on the menu (and I have NO IDEA why that stuck in my head!). This was not a great wine, but they have a good selection, so go for something different. It wasn't actively distasteful, but I just didn't think there was much going on in the flavors. Great aroma, good texture, but one-dimensional in taste. (As a side note, Beefeater's current wine of the month is a pretty good Shiraz - very good flavors, just a little sweet though, and only 950 thb/bottle).

The appetizers - french onion soup for me (I know, I know) and minestrone for her. These were not standout dishes. I think the onion soup at Casa Pascal is still the gold standard for me, and the fisherman's soup at La Notte for her. They were tasty, more than adequate, but not awesome.

A bread basket was served, with a good selection on hand and decent quality. The "mouth cleanser" was a peppermint sherbet. I wasn't a fan of this one.

Entrees were a different story. She ordered baked sea bass, served with roasted potatoes and onions. The onions were a little underdone and difficult to handle - you try to stick the fork in and it rolls away. Made for some entertaining table antics, but tough on the eating. I didn't sample the fish, but she liked it a lot and finished it off. She left the potatoes unmolested, but they sure looked good.

My entree was pan-fried chicken breast stuffed with spinach and cream cheese, served with gratinated potatoes with leeks, and a brown gravy on the side. Good portion size on everything. The chicken was a large, boneless breast. The filling looked a little sparse, but as you work on this dish you realize that anything more would be a logistical challenge. This had just enough filling so that everything stayed together instead of sliding apart as you cut it. The potatoes had an amazingly good flavor. The leek flavor was pronounced, but that's okay with me. The consistency of the dish was nice - firm potatoes, with a creamy sauce. Potatoes could have done with five more minutes cook time, I believe. Otherwise, very nice dish. I don't know what cheese was used, but it was a good choice - mild enough to melt well, and not overwhelming the dish, but working well with the leek flavor.

I tried the dark chocolate mousse with mango sauce for dessert. The mousse was okay, but the sauce on top was excellent. I ate the sauce and left the mousse.

I'll say this restaurant is good, but maybe not on par with Bruno's/Manhattan's/mata Hari. All the ingredients are in place, but there are a few touches here and there that need to be worked out to make this a truly great restaurant (keep the excellent service and broad wine list and good bartender, but work on soups, check the doneness of vegetables, and do away with pepper mint sherbet). i will say that I think the ingredient quality is a touch above what is on offer at Cherry's, but the prices are a little higher here as well.

The place near Tukcom with the laughably minimalist goulash soup and pasta is called LOUNGE. Avoid unless you savor throwing money down a rathole. Best to help them die a quick death rather than a prolonged one so maybe the next batter up in this jinxed location decides to do it RIGHT for a change.

The Lounge, now OUT OF BUSINESS.

Business owners, let this be a lesson.

If you cut too many corners you are cutting your own throat.

RIP The Lounge ...

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...t&p=2598314

Edited by Jingthing

The place near Tukcom with the laughably minimalist goulash soup and pasta is called LOUNGE. Avoid unless you savor throwing money down a rathole. Best to help them die a quick death rather than a prolonged one so maybe the next batter up in this jinxed location decides to do it RIGHT for a change.

The Lounge, now OUT OF BUSINESS.

Business owners, let this be a lesson.

If you cut too many corners you are cutting your own throat.

RIP The Lounge ...

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...t&p=2598314

:) I friend told about the new Admirals pub and restautant in Jomtien. Can anybody give a report on this new pub and restaurant?

As previously mentioned, Friday night we went to s.e.a. Restaurant at the Dusit Thani d2 baraquda hotel on 2nd road. This is the hotel just beside the Avenue, on the same end as Au Bon Pain. To reach the restaurant, you go in through the lobby, then straight through and past the pool area, and the restaurant is on your right.

We arrived at around 7:30 pm. Atmosphere-wise, I really liked the place as soon as we got there. Seating is very comfortable, with some sofa-style seating around the walls and very comfortable chairs elsewhere. There is an upstairs area in the place, which was not in use as there was only one other occupied table in the restaurant. We spent right at two hours here, enjoying a liesurely dinner and bottle of wine, and there wasn't a lot of traffic overall. I think there was one other table seated while we were there, and then a large group of six to eight came in right before we left.

The bar was able to serve up a decent Tom Collins - not quite as good as at Alois, but very drinkable. We also ordered a bottle of wine that is their current feature, a Nero d'Avolo (if memory serves) that was quite good and sold for 1400 baht.

The restaurant puts out a bread basket with some of the best wheat bread I've had around. Great texture, and served with an aioli style dip (mayo, garlic, chilies) that was simply outstanding. The cool from the mayo cuts the heat from the chilies so that its quite enjoyable.

My girlfriend ordered bruschetta as an appetizer. This is a four-slice serving topped with chopped tomato, white prawns and salmon. While I didn't try this directly, it was not considered a hit. She was of the opinion that the ingredients hadn't had time to share their flavors, and that they just didn't work well together.

My main course was the "Get Club'd" club sandwich, with sliced chicken breast, parma ham, chive frittata, and rocket lettuce, with french fries and marinated cherry tomatoes on the side. Small portion of fries, but very tasty, and frankly enough of a portion given the generous size of the sandwich. There was a strong taste of blue cheese to this sandwich, and it was a little dry. An application of the aforementioned dip smoothed things out. I finished about half of it, as I wanted to see what was on the dessert tray and didn't want to overdo. Note that this sandwich is only shown on their lunch menu, but they will be glad to serve you from the lunch menu during dinner.

Her main course was the seabass, and this was where things really brightened up. The filet is served over a bed of vegetables (roasted onion, potato, etc.). The skin lifts off in one piece, and the perfectly cooked meat might be the best piece of fish I've had. It was not overseasoned, incredibly moist and tender. There is a black sauce drizzled artistically over the plate, which I took to be soy, but was actually black chinese vinegar mixed with oyster sauce. Really, really good dish.

Desert was okay. The menu is somewhat limited in this respect. I had the banana glazed with palm sugar and dark chocolate mousse. The mousse was good, the palm sugar was very very sweet. The dessert was average.

The chef, Allan, came out and introduced himself and discussed the meal a little. He seems like a very nice guy, and if the seabass is an indication, also a talented chef. We will likely return here for another meal.

On Sunday night, we hit My Way, over on Soi Diana near Beefeater. This was our first visit to this one as well.

We ordered chicken noodle soup for her appetizer and vegetable for mine. Note that the vegetable has beef in it, and I don't think this is mentioned on the menu. No problem for me, but if you're vegetarian, be warned. The soups were quite good, with my girlfriend informing me that the chicken noodle was as good as homemade. The vegetable beef was good, with the broth being just a touch oily for my taste, though well seasoned.

Main course for me was goulash with home fried potatoes. Very tender beef in a rich sauce, excellent flavors. Too much food to finish, for sure. She ordered the beef filet with mushroom sauce and home fried potatoes. She didn't touch the salad that came alongside, or the potatoes, because the serving size of the beef dish was HUGE!! The flavor was excellent. I normally am very picky about beef here as we all have our own horror stories about lack of quality, but this was very tender and flavorful meat. I'm sure its local stock, based on the price and the portion size, but I have to say this was the best non-imported beef I've had in Thailand. Two thick filets were provided, covered in a brown mushroom gravy that would have been excellent over some fresh mashed potatoes. This was also a win for us, with two minor complaints:

1. Service could use some improvement. The staff did not seem overjoyed to be there, and had to be reminded about refills.

2. Cost of pineapple juice - 120 baht for a small glass of pineapple juice over ice. I'm not usually one to complain about prices, but OUCH!

The quality of the food will bring us back. The menu shows an endive and mashed potato hotpot with meatball that looks really good...

• 3 weeks later...

Firstly thank-you for the informative posts, hopefully this thread will continue to provide us all with the "where" to spend.

Does anyone now the history / ownership of the Rimini Italian restaurant on Jomtein beach? I would love to speak to the owner regarding our dining 'experience' Sunday PM. Completely indifferent staff, portion control that would make an annorexic proud and a hefty bill that sucked up the weekend's eating out budget in one hit. On the upside easy parking and no wait for a table(!) Not an experience I would wish to repeat, would be interested if it was just 'us' or have others experienced the same??

Sotsira,

If you're coming from the direction of Pattaya Klang toward Pattaya Nua on Sukhumvit, go on past Pattaya Nua and look for a triangular pink and green neon sign in Thai (two triangles nested, pointing up). It will be on the left. This is the sign for Mum Aroy. Take the left at the sign, go down to the dead end and turn right. Restaurant will be on your left, parking on the right.

There is also a Mum Aroy in Central Pattaya. It's on Third road on the southwestern corner at the stop light between North and Central Pattaya roads. (There's one in Sri Racha also.)

Visit My Website Website Directions to Mum Aroy

Edited by Pongpat

Firstly thank-you for the informative posts, hopefully this thread will continue to provide us all with the "where" to spend.

Does anyone now the history / ownership of the Rimini Italian restaurant on Jomtein beach? I would love to speak to the owner regarding our dining 'experience' Sunday PM. Completely indifferent staff, portion control that would make an annorexic proud and a hefty bill that sucked up the weekend's eating out budget in one hit. On the upside easy parking and no wait for a table(!) Not an experience I would wish to repeat, would be interested if it was just 'us' or have others experienced the same??

Same ownership as Gian's in the Chateau Dale plaza

One thing is for sure, WOW (Waiter on Wheels) has gone downhill big time. I have ordered with them many times over the last few years (and was always impressed) but I have noticed a change in the last few months. I ordered something tonight and what I actually received was wrong. I called them and explained their error and they told me it was MY fault. No refund and I couldn't eat what they sent me...

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, has it really been so long since I posted? Sorry!! Work has really cranked up lately, and been eating more at home and revisiting a few favorites.

I do have two updates, though.

Had some colleagues in from out of town last week and took them out for the obligatory tour of Walking Street. We had dinner at Sea Zone, previously reported as the home of the best Irish coffee ever (true!!). This was my first meal there, and let's just say that I have a new favorite place for Thai food, displacing Mum Aroy.

My colleagues ordered the grilled giant prawns with shrimp fried rice. We also had tom kha gai, fried fish with three flavor sauce, khao pad gai, and squid with curry. I won't say the tom kha gai was the best ever, but is definitely tied for first. On the fish, Leng Kee on Pattaya Klang does this really well, but I think Sea Zone is an improvement over that one. It was really that good. My colleagues were well satisfied. We left without the Irish coffee, as there were more venues ahead, and we were full!! The menu is quite extensive, and the beverage selection includes Erdinger and Federbrau beers. The cocktails are quite good as well. If you haven't been here yet, give it a try.

This weekend we stopped in at Golf Bar on Soi LK Metro, after reading recommendations from this site. You were right - good food and good value. We checked the tables inside, but then decided to eat outside. Good choice, as there was a good little crowd there bantering back and forth to provide entertainment. We felt totally at home there. For dinner, my girl ordered the open faced roast beef sandwich, served with peas and a nice gravy. She enjoyed everything except the peas, but given the size of the serving on the beef and bread she still had enough food. I ordered the grilled chicken pita with english-style chips. The sandwich was great - bread was fresh, the tzatziki-style sauce was cool and refreshing, and the chicken tasted like it had just come off a hot charcoal grill. The chips were a little overcooked, but not burned. There were so many things on the menu that looked great...we'll be back!! I hope that on our return, there's another friendly crowd there drinking and watching cricket.

I'll continue to post updates, but running out of new places. Jingthing, i still haven't made it to the places you've recommended in Jomtien Complex or Soi Tukcom or Soi Daynight (hope I don't have you mixed up with another poster on some of these), and I'm looking forward to trying Cafe des Amis and Rich Man Poor Man on my next few adventures. Open to new suggestions!!

OK, I will relate an experience that to me is another example that you can't really trust the food reviews in the local press. Is there any place they don't love?

Here is the rave review:

http://www.pattayatoday.net/index.php?acti...ews&id=6404

Anyway, in this case I did see merit in the place but there was no way I would rave. In fact, I probably won't be back.

It is Natans on Thappraya Road Jomtien near the Monkey statue. It is a frou frou open air trendy place attracting mostly trendy Eurogays often with Thai boy toys in tow. That is my observation anyway from several walks by the joint.

I just needed a light meal so went for two tapas and a beer. Had the Spanish omelette (Tortillas Espanol) 100 baht and the garlic squid 120 baht. The beers are overpriced for the neighborhood, at 90 baht for a Chang and 110 baht for a San Miguel.

The Spanish Omellete was cooked individually as opposed to a slice of a large pie as you would get in a real Spanish tapas bar. That said, it was a good portion and done decently. However, the cardinal sin it was very BUTTERY without any hint of olive oil. That is all wrong. The dish is a classic and supposed to be done in OLIVE OIL. That ruined it for me and it was also annoying. If you are going to present yourself as a sophisticated European restaurant, why can't you do the basic research and get the basics right on a classic dish like that? What they did was like serving borscht with carrots instead of beets. It is OK to do that but it is not OK to not tell the customer you are doing that on the menu, especially for a classic dish.

Anyway, the squid was very odd. It was a tapas so expected a small portion but it was about half the size I expected for the price, even for a tapas. It was cooked in butter which I thought was OK but the garlic was exactly the kind of garlic you get with a Thai garlic dish. Also it was room temperature. Maybe that was intentional but I found it odd. Overall, I thought the dish very poor value.

Admittedly a very small sample of a fair sized menu, but I can't really forgive the buttery Spanish omelette.

That said, many of you may love this place, it wouldn't surprise me if there are really good things on the menu (take a chance?) and it does have a following but I think it is more of a scene place than a serious gourmet experience ...

OLIVE OIL!!!!

http://www.euroresidentes.com/euroresiuk/R...sh_omelette.htm

Edited by Jingthing

It is Natans on Thappraya Road Jomtien near the Monkey statue. It is a frou frou open air trendy place attracting mostly trendy Eurogays often with Thai boy toys in tow. That is my observation anyway from several walks by the joint.

Every place on restaurant row fits this description to a T - Bruno's takes the cake for sure.....

Every place on restaurant row fits this description to a T - Bruno's takes the cake for sure.....

Perhaps. I am gay but not trendy. I don't like frou frou places in general but if the food is good, I will dine with Al Queda ... In the US I never liked "gay" restaurants because they were more about the scene than the food and I am all about the food!

Edited by Jingthing

PIZZA COMPANY...TESCO LOTUS,SOUTH PATTAYA

I was shopping there recently and went to grab a bite there.I decided to not have a pizza but focused on some non-pizza items.

I had one of the set-specials...which was spaghetti in a creamy tomato sauce with a large Pepsi(89 baht). I took the extra option of

unlimited Pepsi-refills for an extra 16 baht. So it was the Spaghetti dish with unlimited Pepsi for 105 baht.The spaghetti also had

prawns in it, and quite a lot of them.

I also got the Garlic Bread for 49 baht...really good value I felt as it was a good big portion(about 7 slices) and the garlic bread

really complemented the spaghetti well as I unashamedly mopped up the creamy sauce on my plate with the garlic bread.

All-in-all at 154 baht it was excellent value I thought.The menu isn't huge here and is mainly focused on Pizza's of course..........

which I think are a bit on the overly-pricey side.

But the particular food-combo I picked, I feel is good bang-for-your-buck and I will certainly be back to eat it.

Take Care all.

Edited by lalana

Hot dining tip! Many of you know the quaint Volterra Tuscan style Italian restaurant with the real Italian chef located not too far from Sunee Plaza in South Pattaya (Soi Yensabai). Well now they have a pizza oven and are doing PIZZAS. And guess what, they are good!

http://ristorantevolterra.tk/

http://revver.com/video/1245595/volterra-i...aurant-pattaya/

Edited by Jingthing

Having recently heard about Rich Man Poor Man serving American food, I had to go and try it. Its not too difficult to find, just off Jomtien Beach Road at soi 9.

When we arrived, I was honestly quite apprehensive. The place doesn't look like much. When we went inside, we found ourselves in a low-ceilinged room, with little in the way of decoration, and the aroma of fried food in the air. If you've been in a Waffle House or Huddle House in the US, you know what I mean. There is no drink list available, and there are no cocktails available. They have the standard local selections of beer - Singha, Chang, Tiger, Leo, and Heineken, and a decent selection of liquor behind the bar. There does not seem to be any aircon, but the fans kept it quite comfortable.

For appetizers, we ordered tomato soup for her and chicken fingers for me. When it arrived, the tomato soup was hot and thick and creamy, but tasted very much like ketchup, and the crackers on the side were stale. Fortunately, this would prove to be the only real misstep here. My chicken fingers were hot and crisp on the outside, but not overdone, and tasted like real, handcut chicken breast, sliced a little thin, and served with a sweet and hot sauce. Tasty.

Entrees - meatballs for her, and meatloaf for me, both served with mashed potatoes, steamed veg, and plenty of brown gravy. The meatballs here are a little better than the ones at Beefeaters. These had a better texture - a little more coarse grind to the beef, I think, and they tasted a little better seasoned as well. Of course at Beefeaters you get the lingonberries alongside, and RMPM doesn't have these. The meatloaf is served in a large, thin slice, with bacon on top. It was really good meatloaf! I would've liked a larger serving of the meat, but at the price, I can't complain. If I have to give up serving size to keep quality, okay.

All told, we had two entrees, two appetizers, one small Singha for me and two shots of Kahlua for her. We were out of there for right around 800 baht, and well satisfied. The menu is attractive enough that we'll be back to sample burgers, philly sandwiches, pork chops, and so on.

One word of advice: choose a table outside. When we left, we could still smell the aroma of fried food on our clothes and etc.

Give this place a shot. Don't judge on appearance - wait for the food.