Cctv Systems

JimmyGreaves

I am looking to buy a cctv system for my house.

Want at least 4 cameras (Not night time vision as expensive) Standalone DVR, ability to view via the web with decent software, ability to view on any TV's in my house, needs to be able to link into one of the dynamic dns servers as it's hard to get a fixed ip here.

Any suggestions of where to buy and ball park figure on cost?

If I buy one in the UK and cart it to los will it work through the electric system there and can I buy the wire in los to save me carting that.

type of system I'm looking at buying is here, system432 :

http://www.cricklewoodelectronics.com/Cricklewood/home.php

Edited by jflundy

I have paid my 4 waterproof infrared camera, dvr ability, 500 gb HDD, good software, mouse, linked to DNS server (I can see live from everywhere), installation, wiring, DNS, all setting, baht 28.000 (in Koh Phangan). I guess prices in Bkk cheaper.

Ah, made in China... 1 year warranty.

I'd say buy it from the UK! The current exchange rate of the pound makes everything from there very cheap!

If you want to buy in Thailand, have a look in the Ban Mo area (bangkok, next to Old Siam shopping mall). Loads and loads of cameras, DVR's and all cables, connectors, etc. And ehm....speak Thai as hardly any farang ever goes there.

There's also quite some stuff in Fortune. I wouldn't recommend Pantip, not a lot of choice there.

Recommended DVR: AverMedia

Edited by Prasert

I'd say buy it from the UK! The current exchange rate of the pound makes everything from there very cheap!

If you want to buy in Thailand, have a look in the Ban Mo area (bangkok, next to Old Siam shopping mall). Loads and loads of cameras, DVR's and all cables, connectors, etc. And ehm....speak Thai as hardly any farang ever goes there.

There's also quite some stuff in Fortune. I wouldn't recommend Pantip, not a lot of choice there.

Recommended DVR: AverMedia

AverMedia funny you should say that as I was checking them out here:

http://www.rfconcepts.co.uk/digital-record...nnel_MOBILE_DVR

the info below relates mainly to IP cams which give their output to ethernet LAN cable - the link you provided , the cams output is to co-axial cable to the DVR.

not sure where to buy in Thailand , but some things to decide.

camera image sensor - CMOS or CCD ? - CCD is more expensive but CMOS seems to be catching up for image quality.

compression codec - MJPEG or MPEG4 class 2 or MPEG4 class 10 (H264 ) - these compression codecs are important for how much bandwidth your cameras will be using when sending their video streams to your storage medium ( not so important with 4 cams on 10/100 ethernet ) . The worry you will have is storage of the video files as video at television resolution ( D1 or 4CIF ) and 25 frames per second can use up alot of space. H264 encoding adds to the price of the IP camera , but cuts down the space needed for storage. you need to calculate how much storage you will require for the amount of time you want to be keeping the recordings and high motion requires more space than a mainly static image - a basic free storage calculator here http://www.imakenews.com/kin2/e_article000...5FDQ,b25tl0b3,w

also what happens when the power is off ? unless you will have backup power at each cam ( and 12 VDC plugpacks are very inefficient ) you need to think about PoE ( power over ethernet ) routers connected to a decent UPS.

Infrared illumination on cheaper cameras may not be enough and you may need some extra IR lamps - though they are cheap.

resolution , camera placement and fps are very important as many times when the video footage is reviewed it turns out to be useless. there are some UK guidelines about what is required from video footage for it to be admissible in court ( sorry no link , needs googling :o ) - I realise this is not a setup for legal/insurance reasons and is in thailand , but they are good guidelines to be aware of.

last bit of ramble for this morning :D - internet security - I don't have my home IP cameras directly accessible via the internet as a brute force password attack is quite possible , I run an openVPN server which I connect to and then connect to the cams.

Hi everyone,

I do CCTV Cameras, installation and training. Please PM me for more information. I am based in Chiang Mai so any of you Chiang Mai'ers interested, do let me know.

I charge about 22k for everything included. 4 IR cameras, a standalone DVR with 320Gig HDD (4 channels), training, internet setup so that you can view your cams all over the world and full fledge training in English.

Many other packages included.

TB..

In addition to Stumonster comments:

My experience with an Avermedia box, 4 cams connected and a 320GB harddisk - Footage is stored for at least 4 days, in CIF4 format. I don't know if it's admissable as evidence in a UK court, but this is most certainly not the UK but Thailand.

From the footage, it's easy to recognize faces and tattoos if the person is less than 10 meters away from the camera. With IR light, this distance is only 5 meters. Additional IR lights would probably make a difference. A bigger problem is contrast: camera's pointed at open, sunny spaces will not properly record things in the foreground (which appear too dark on screen).

Camera's used are outdoor IR cams, priced around 2900baht each. 12V power supply, analog video output.

Bandwidth usage: watching the footage live over the network in full quality requires 1Mbps bandwidth. But in most cases, you'll want to search for specific footage after some incident and the easiest way to do that is at the DVR and television using the remote to search for specific images.

Cabling: coaxial cables from the cameras to the DVR can be quite long, 50 meter will not cause problems.

Electricity problems can be solved with a UPS and a separate electricity circuit for the power adapters of the camera. If the distances are not too big, one could make it a 12V circuit and connect all camera's to a single, efficient 12V power supply.

Hi everyone,

I do CCTV Cameras, installation and training. Please PM me for more information. I am based in Chiang Mai so any of you Chiang Mai'ers interested, do let me know.

I charge about 22k for everything included. 4 IR cameras, a standalone DVR with 320Gig HDD (4 channels), training, internet setup so that you can view your cams all over the world and full fledge training in English.

TB..

whose manufacturers equipment do you use and for that price what is the distance of the IR and how many leds on the cameras?

Cheers

In addition to Stumonster comments:

My experience with an Avermedia box, 4 cams connected and a 320GB harddisk - Footage is stored for at least 4 days, in CIF4 format. I don't know if it's admissable as evidence in a UK court, but this is most certainly not the UK but Thailand.

From the footage, it's easy to recognize faces and tattoos if the person is less than 10 meters away from the camera. With IR light, this distance is only 5 meters. Additional IR lights would probably make a difference. A bigger problem is contrast: camera's pointed at open, sunny spaces will not properly record things in the foreground (which appear too dark on screen).

Camera's used are outdoor IR cams, priced around 2900baht each. 12V power supply, analog video output.

Bandwidth usage: watching the footage live over the network in full quality requires 1Mbps bandwidth. But in most cases, you'll want to search for specific footage after some incident and the easiest way to do that is at the DVR and television using the remote to search for specific images.

Cabling: coaxial cables from the cameras to the DVR can be quite long, 50 meter will not cause problems.

Electricity problems can be solved with a UPS and a separate electricity circuit for the power adapters of the camera. If the distances are not too big, one could make it a 12V circuit and connect all camera's to a single, efficient 12V power supply.

Hi Prasert

What was the cost of your system and what model avermedia dvr and cameras did you purchase?

I don't know if it's admissable as evidence in a UK court, but this is most certainly not the UK but Thailand.

most times the footage is shown to the person and they then confess .

From the footage, it's easy to recognize faces and tattoos if the person is less than 10 meters away from the camera.

with well located D1/4CIF , I would say out to 15 metres - also think about the camera field of view and some cameras can be fitted with a wider angle lens , though that shortens the range.

A bigger problem is contrast: camera's pointed at open, sunny spaces will not properly record things in the foreground (which appear too dark on screen).

this is a very important issue with camera placement - a well lit background ( sun or floodlight ) will cause problems if the camera is not placed correctly

Paid about 15,000 Baht for a four camera system here in Pattaya, has software to allow remote control via a LAN, can burn off sections of interest to CD to be passed on to police etc. Better cameras were extra I recall. DIY HDD upgrades were the best route to update I recall. Programming wasn't easy but possible.

Hi everyone,

TB..

whose manufacturers equipment do you use and for that price what is the distance of the IR and how many leds on the cameras?

Cheers

35pcs LED's on the cam. IR is 20Metres. The brand is Topview. The DVR is AVTECH which I have a few clients using and very happy with. Its Taiwanese made. Anyone on a budget, you can't go wrong getting a set in your home or office or wherever. You can choose AVermedia if you prefer but I like AVTECH. Huge forum support as well.

Can always source out Samsung Cam's and DVR's if one is interested but for a lot more.

Edited by tigerbeer

I have a 4-camera system.

Brand is KPSec. I actually asked about this system in another thread about a month ago as I could not figure out some functionality (It's so secure that it has outsmarted it's own owner).

Records for 10 days, then erases and re-records. Power supply is totally separate from the house supply lines (this is where it outsmarted me... I wasn't around for the install, and hence had no <deleted> clue).

It's connected to all TV screens in my house, and probably accessible by internet, but again I can't be bothered...

Install was around 50K IIRC. Actually I think it was double that, but with other posters saying 30K, I'm not sure anymore. I just remember that I had a security issue once, and then called a friend who called a friend (who probably called a friend) and somebody came to install and later I paid the bill. No problems since - but I don't think the security cameras are the reason - either way, if something happens, I'll have a recording of it...

The remote control is ridiculous, though. Actually I can't even remember one of my passwords (there are 3, for various levels), so basically I can just watch the front of my house when I'm bored of UBC (which is equally boring nowadays).

Actually, one day (after watching the movie with Jude Law and that guy... hmm... what's his face - Batman's Butler) I figured I wanted interior security cameras as well, motion detection, etc... but that day passed and I just leave it as is - outdoor only. Now I think I made the right choice as I don't want to have recordings of some of the things I do in my house anyway :o

Just bought 4 cameras without the power supply units. Thinking of getting them in Thailand. What do you think. All the cctv cameras seem to have the same connection to the camera or should I just buy plug adapters?

12V PSU 1.25A 1000mA regulated (Must be regulated for IR LEDS)

Edited by jflundy

Hi everyone,

TB..

Topview Chiang Mai (Shop in Pantip Plaza and sales desks at Ikon square and elsewhere) offer a similar system for 15K at the moment, includes installation but excludes cable IIRC. How does what you offer compare with this? N.B. I'm not saying your price is expensive, the cameras included in the Topview package didn't seem that great. Just wanna understand what the comparative specs are.

Hi everyone,

TB..

Topview Chiang Mai (Shop in Pantip Plaza and sales desks at Ikon square and elsewhere) offer a similar system for 15K at the moment, includes installation but excludes cable IIRC. How does what you offer compare with this? N.B. I'm not saying your price is expensive, the cameras included in the Topview package didn't seem that great. Just wanna understand what the comparative specs are.

the cameras offered in their package is a 10M IR, 15 LED's I would give 30 LED's and 20M IR. Check with them on those prices and see how much difference it comes up to. They charge 15/metre of cable installation. Installation of machine and set up? Not sure. Mine includes up to 100Metres throughout for 4 cams. Not sure if their HDD is 250 or 320GB although its not really a big difference.

I also set up your networking with the machine and internet setup plus train you in English on how to use your system.

The topview package is basic and perfect for home or small shop/office use. The DVR machine is however AVTECH and the functions offered for the price if of excellent value. It is seriously a lot cheaper than other brand packages. If something else is required, we can always do a medium range such as those offered by Samsung or SHarp.

hi tigerbeer,

I had a quick look at the avtech website and there seems to be lots of variants. Which model of DVR and camera do you supply/fit for the price you quoted? Also, is it possible to use a PC rather than a dVR? Final question(!!) what's stopping the burglar just snipping the wire to the camera or nicking the dvr for that matter.

How long do you need for installation (sneaked that question in :o)

thanks

cromarty

• 2 weeks later...

Had to dig up this thread, having some huge problems coming up in a townhouse I own but don't live in.

I go to the house a few times a month, mostly to park one of my cars there. But I just heard last night that my neighbors on one side are moving out (well I knew that already) but that the new neighbors were going to be 7 FAMILIES, YES 7. And 5 TAXI DRIVERS, WITH 5 CARS. Now I freaked out, and asked the neighbors on the other side if it was true, and they said yeah, they saw 2 VANS of people coming to look at the house.... ridiculous. Now 2 houses down has already gone to shit as a taxi driver and his 15 'relatives' or whatever have moved in, making noise and I've never heard a 4 year old use some of these swear words that even I use rarely... now if I get another 7 <deleted> familes in next door and god knows how many people (20?!) I would die.

My house is just me when I'm there, nobody otherwise.

So I called the owner of that house and said <deleted> is going on, do you not care who moves in, the neighborhood is going to shit. She said the crew is coming in from Isaan, and they already paid deposit. I said, listen, I'll pay you full rent cash for the whole year and I will just park one of my cars there, I won't even use the <deleted> house - just please give it to me, for my sanity and the safety of my house. Long story short - already a long story - I think I'm gonna get the place, but now I'm afraid of retaliation (of some kind - since I did jack the house from 7 taxi drivers and their families)...

So A) I either have to stay in my own house and look after the other house also (and my cars).

Or :o Live in the detached house that I own that is not in this neighborhood, and leave the townhouses unattended (the one that I own and the one that I am renting just so nobody else can come rent it.

The owner thinks I'm nuts just to rent out the entire house and pay cash for basically nothing but a parking spot, but I'm a security nutcase and Thailand is going downhill fast.

Anyway, I want to set up cameras at the townhouses that I can view from my detached house as well, and from the townhouse itself. 2 cameras there should be sufficient, I think (one for the front of each townhouse - or should I put one way up on the 2nd floor?)

Question: I will leave the outdoor lights on 24/7, and I was wondering if I get infrared cameras, will the light from the lights outside interfere with the infrared at night? Should I just go with non-infrared since there will be lights on all of the time... but then I'm thinking someone can just break the lights and then I would need infrared.... but how can you identify anybody from an infrared cam anyway (it's not like I'm in the house to monitor)?

tigerbeer, do you have contacts in Bangkok? This is a serious pain in my ass and I need to sort it out ASAP. The guy who installed my 4-cam system is AWOL, can't find him - a friend of a friend of a friend kind of thing. I need someone I trust.