Condominium Ownership In Thailand/legal Issues

Dear friends. Does anybody know details of Condominiums Laws in Thailand, including the latest amendments of 2008? Do thais have the laws protecting the members of condo community against unscrupulous owners trying to use their property for short term rentals?

In the western countries you find a range of types of accomodation,- from hotels (on daily basis), to serviced apartments (weekly, monthly rates), to residential condominiums with no renting, or renting limited to minimum 12 months. To my dismay I have discovered that management of our residential condo

does not recognise the rights of some owners by allowing short term tourist visitors. As usual, these buggers will sell you anything for a commission.

Anybody with knowledge on this subject, please respond. :D:D:o

They don't recognise "your rights" in this respect because you have none. The owners of an individual unit are entitled to lease it on whatever duration they like. Although terms longer than 3 years must be registered at the land department and can not exceed 30 years etc. Even if condo rules forbade the practice (and I have never heard of a single project in Thailand which follows this practice) I think they could be challenged so long as nothing illegal is going on.

Look on the bright side, at least they are not letting the rooms out by the hour...

"To my dismay I have discovered that management of our residential condo does not recognise the rights of some owners by allowing short term tourist visitors."

Why do you believe that the short-term rentals affects the rights of some owners, and not the others? Have you actually spoken to someone in the condo office regarding the condo bylaws of your condo? What are the problems with the "tourist visitors"?

The condo laws of Thailand do not prohibit renting out individual condo units. Your condo might have bylaws to address the problems that you're envisioning.

Look on the bright side, at least they are not letting the rooms out by the hour...

A day may come...that this is true...

I know that some penthouses are being rented out by the night...rented by companies to entertain VIP guest(s). I have not witness the activites carried out in there, but I have a bright imagination...

Edited by trogers