Big 'c'

I had a little bit of difficulty swalling food on occaisions, so I went to the local Hospital for a check up. They did a Bariam Swallow on me, and the result came back " Probable Cancer" After that I had an Endoscope plus Biopsy with the ensuing result 80% probability of Cancer. I will get the result in a few days. They have told me that to cure it, it is quite a difficult operation, where they cut the bad bit out, then lift your stomach to meet the windpipe( I can't spell osofogus)

The funny thing is, I am in no pain except for occaisional heartburn, and I have put on three kilos in a week.

Has anybody out there had this? What is the success rate? Should I go to Bangkok to have the op?

Any Doctors on board, I would like your opinions. Cheers.

You should definitely go to Bangkok, if for no other reason than to get a second opinion.

If the initial diagnosis is correct, this is a very serious matter and you shouldn't mess around at a provincial hospital.

It will be a very expensive operation, so unless you have health insurance, or a big bank account, you might want to think about returning to your home country for treatment.

But initially get a second opinion at one of the top hospitals in Bangkok - Bumrungrad, Samitivej, BNH, Bangkok Hospital etc. Also get an estimate of the operation costs.

There are also some very good teaching hospital in Bangkok, such as Chula, where the top doctors also practise. If you can get into one of these it would be a lot cheaper.

Good luck.

Hi, some years ago I got talking to a guy who had just had a full Gastrectomy , and he gave a Newspaper article

about another guy in the UK who had gone through the same, May be this is not fully related to your problem, but it may be of interest, the newspaper article headlines are .. I had my stomach removed - but I can still eat like a king , published in the Daily Mail on August 9 2005, ive had an operation for '' Silent Reflux '' called a Laparoscopic Nissen Fundoplication which turned out well. ive attached the newspaper article which ive kept all this time . Good Luck

post-37178-1236743621_thumb.jpg

The treatment depends on the location of the tumour and type. If surgery is the option, it may either be a resection of the lesion and re-joining the esofagus or, if it is lower and an agressive type of cancer, it may involve a "two hole" operation. This is where the stomach is drawn up into the chest cavity after that part of the esofagus is removed.

The mobilisation of the stomach takes place through an upper abdominal incision but the removal of the affected part of the esofagus and the re-joining on the two, is byan approach through the chest.

This is the more severe of the two options and not required that often on caucasians with this kind of cancer.

Please get a very accurate diagnosis here from both the nature of the cancer as well as the exact location and be sure that you are comfortable that the treating surgeon has considered all treatment options and discussed them with you. The "80%" option is not good enough.

The prognosis depends on the type and staging of the cancer. In other words, has it penetrated through all the layers of the esofagus or just local.

My suggestion is to get to the best facility in BKK and/or consider to go back to your home country as suggested by Mobi above. This can be very expensive if the major surgery needs to be performed.

Best of luck!

Thanks everybody. What with Tendonitus, a huge boil on my back and now this, I am really feeling my lifes caught up with me. The doctor did tell me about drawing the stomach up,but with my fat stomach , where are they going to put it?

If the worse is realised on Friday, then I will go for a second opinion at the training collage in BKK, or Bumrumgrad, but to be honest,I think this is a storm in a teacup. Lets think it over.

a) I am not in any pain, except when I do not chew properly, then I get mild heartburn

:o I am putting on weight, not losing it

c) Most of my food goes down ok, just the odd time when it sticks in my gullet.

d) There is no sign of any bleeding.

I honestly think I have nothing more than a couple of duodenal ulcers

Also I did go to two doctors in the hospital here, the first one said I had nothing wrong with me. When I said I had trouble eating meat, he said " Eat rice then"

The second one referred me to a Barium Swallow then just handed me the sheet of paper which had " CANCER" written on it.

Full of tact, I guess in America I could have sued them for causing distress. Well, thanks again lads. I'll keep this page updated.

And thanks to George for ringing me last night to make sure I was OK.

The blunt approach of the hospital is surely regrettable but you have some of the "danger" symptoms. Difficulty in swallowing meat especially. This alone, however, does NOT mean cancer.

Just narrowing of the esofagus at the lower end after long years of heartburn etc can cause this or even a condition known as "esofageal spasm" or "Barret's esofagitis" which is a pre-cancerous condition. The treatment of Barrets is not surgery.

The Barium swallow picture can be diagnostic if it is a classic presentation but an endoscopy with biopsy should be performed to make the final diagnosis.

Weight loss and bleeding (black stools) are very late signs for this type of cancer and is not significant now.

IF you have a worst case scenario (cancer) it is very early and the best time to deal with it and the best chance of a good outcome with minimal intervention.

Get a good second opinion in BKK!!

The blunt approach of the hospital is surely regrettable but you have some of the "danger" symptoms. Difficulty in swallowing meat especially. This alone, however, does NOT mean cancer.

Just narrowing of the esofagus at the lower end after long years of heartburn etc can cause this or even a condition known as "esofageal spasm" or "Barret's esofagitis" which is a pre-cancerous condition. The treatment of Barrets is not surgery.

The Barium swallow picture can be diagnostic if it is a classic presentation but an endoscopy with biopsy should be performed to make the final diagnosis.

Weight loss and bleeding (black stools) are very late signs for this type of cancer and is not significant now.

IF you have a worst case scenario (cancer) it is very early and the best time to deal with it and the best chance of a good outcome with minimal intervention.

Get a good second opinion in BKK!!

I had my endosopy and biopsy yesterday. Just waiting now.

As FBN and Mobi have said, you should come to BKK withyout delay for a second opinion. Bring the biopsy report with you as well as all the other test results, including CD of the endoscopy.

If it is cancer, recent studies suggest that a combination of radiation and chemo prior to surgery improves outcome. . Hence it is important to be treated at a state of the art, large hospital with access to adjunctive therapies.

Suggestions re doctors in Bangkok:

Bumrungrad:

Dr. Asada Methasate

Speciality: Surgery, General Surgery

Language: Spoken: Japanese,Thai

Qualifications: Medical School:

- M.D.Tokyo Medical and Dental University, Japan, 1989

Board Certifications:

- General Surgery, Japan, 1994

Sub-board of GI tract surgery, Japan, 1996

Fellowships: Surgical Endoscopy, 1998

Academic Appointments : Lecturer, Mahidol University, Siriraj Hospital

Special Clinical Interests: Esophageal & Gastric surgery, Surgical endoscopy

This doctor does not currently schedule regular clinic hours.

Appointments may be made upon request, depending on availability

Dr. Kris Chatamra

Speciality: Surgery, General Surgery

Language: Spoken: English,Thai

Qualifications: Medical School:

- M.D. University of London at Westminster Hospital, 1969

Board Certifications:

- FRCS, UK, 1975

- MD Thesis, UK, 1982

Associate Professor, Chulalongkorn University

Fellowships: General Surgery & Oncology, 1979

Special Clinical Interests: General Surgery; Oncology,

Breast and Upper Gastrointestinal Surgery.

Day Time Location

Mon 17:00 - 20:00 NS 16C (Surgical/Breast)

Wed 17:00 - 20:00 NS 16C (Surgical/Breast)

Sat 08:00 - 12:00 NS 16C (Surgical/Breast)

Bangkok Hospital

Dr. Chanchai Nimitravanich

1997 SAGES (Fellow of Society of American Gastrointestinal Surgery)

1986 FICS (Fellow of International College of Surgeon)

1975 Medical Doctor Siriraj Hospital Mahidol University

Schedule : Monday 08:00 - 12:00

Tuesday 17:00 - 20:00

Wednesday 08:00 - 17:00

Thursday 13:00 - 20:00

Good luck and keep us posted!

I had a little bit of difficulty swalling food on occaisions, so I went to the local Hospital for a check up. They did a Bariam Swallow on me, and the result came back " Probable Cancer" After that I had an Endoscope plus Biopsy with the ensuing result 80% probability of Cancer. I will get the result in a few days. They have told me that to cure it, it is quite a difficult operation, where they cut the bad bit out, then lift your stomach to meet the windpipe( I can't spell osofogus)

The funny thing is, I am in no pain except for occaisional heartburn, and I have put on three kilos in a week.

Has anybody out there had this? What is the success rate? Should I go to Bangkok to have the op?

Any Doctors on board, I would like your opinions. Cheers.

I had exact same problem,opted for surg very difilcult long recovery,but i am alive and geting along ok I personaly FELT I had no choice CANCER HAD TO GO. had surg at bph very expensive and was in intensive care for 17 days surgical team of five with lead surg dr chockchi you will surive but this is huge dicision i am 72 looking back i would do the same thing again but get many opions(please excuse spelling)

Results in : Whoopee, Iv'e made it into the Big C league. Next stop Big Mango. I've been referred to the training hospital near Lumpini park, to let a team of apprentices learn their trade on me. If they can fix my body, then they've got a great chance in the outside World. Thanks again for all your help and advice. If I pull through this one, open day at the Farang Connection when I get out. Cheers.

Here is the report

post-27891-1236903864_thumb.jpg

Edited by farangconnection

Sorry to hear this news Martin, :o

I can't offer much advice except as has been said before go to Bumrungrad (don't let the trainees decend on you)...most of the Doctors there are very very good. They certainly sorted my problems out, although they were nothing like as serious as yours.

Good Luck Mate

Paul

I'll echo ThaiPauly, if you (or your insurance) can afford it, Bumrungrad!

Good luck and a speedy recovery. The Big-C is nowhere near as disasterous as it was even 10 year ago (my ex had cancer of the adrenal gland, now fully recovered) !!

Edited by Crossy

Thanks everybody. What with Tendonitus, a huge boil on my back and now this, I am really feeling my lifes caught up with me. The doctor did tell me about drawing the stomach up,but with my fat stomach , where are they going to put it?

If the worse is realised on Friday, then I will go for a second opinion at the training collage in BKK, or Bumrumgrad, but to be honest,I think this is a storm in a teacup. Lets think it over.

a) I am not in any pain, except when I do not chew properly, then I get mild heartburn

:o I am putting on weight, not losing it

c) Most of my food goes down ok, just the odd time when it sticks in my gullet.

d) There is no sign of any bleeding.

I honestly think I have nothing more than a couple of duodenal ulcers

Also I did go to two doctors in the hospital here, the first one said I had nothing wrong with me. When I said I had trouble eating meat, he said " Eat rice then"

The second one referred me to a Barium Swallow then just handed me the sheet of paper which had " CANCER" written on it.

Full of tact, I guess in America I could have sued them for causing distress. Well, thanks again lads. I'll keep this page updated.

And thanks to George for ringing me last night to make sure I was OK.

Just for our information. Around 4 years ago I collapsed whilst working in India. I was lucky to have colleagues with me who immediately arranged for me to go to the local hospital. Following an X ray they found a large abscess in my right lung and prescribed anti biotic to reduce it in size and eventually cure the condition. To cut a long story short they did not work and my temperature went through the roof. I returned to Bangkok and my wife immediately took me to Bangkok hospital where they did the usual tests and of course an X ray. They confirmed the abscess and said that they would have to operate immediately or I may lose my lung. I was delirious at the time so my wife did most of the talking. They quoted a fee for the operation that was way beyond my means, so I decided to go back to England. The trip was not easy believe me but I had no choice. My sister took me to the GP who arranged admission to the local hospital. They again went through the tests and confirmed the ulcer. I was put in an isolation ward due to the nature of the disease and also the fact that I was living in Asia. They tested me for everything including SARS, HIV and many more. I was clear on all counts thank God. OK here is the sting. I stayed in hospital for 10 days hooked up to a drip and I was given large doses of strong anti biotic over the course of my stay. It was never mentioned in India or in Bangkok that I had double pneumonia that was caused by the abbcess.Hence the very high temperature. The anti biotic worked and I am now fit as a fiddle. Needless to say that I have lost my faith in the medical profession in Thailand, because I went from nearly losing my lung to a course of antibiotics. I was panic stricken at the thought of the first diagnosis. Go home and get it checked out by professionals that are not driven by the dollar.

Cheers, Rick

Just for our information. Around 4 years ago I collapsed whilst working in India. I was lucky to have colleagues with me who immediately arranged for me to go to the local hospital. Following an X ray they found a large abscess in my right lung and prescribed anti biotic to reduce it in size and eventually cure the condition. To cut a long story short they did not work and my temperature went through the roof. I returned to Bangkok and my wife immediately took me to Bangkok hospital where they did the usual tests and of course an X ray. They confirmed the abscess and said that they would have to operate immediately or I may lose my lung. I was delirious at the time so my wife did most of the talking. They quoted a fee for the operation that was way beyond my means, so I decided to go back to England. The trip was not easy believe me but I had no choice. My sister took me to the GP who arranged admission to the local hospital. They again went through the tests and confirmed the ulcer. I was put in an isolation ward due to the nature of the disease and also the fact that I was living in Asia. They tested me for everything including SARS, HIV and many more. I was clear on all counts thank God. OK here is the sting. I stayed in hospital for 10 days hooked up to a drip and I was given large doses of strong anti biotic over the course of my stay. It was never mentioned in India or in Bangkok that I had double pneumonia that was caused by the abbcess.Hence the very high temperature. The anti biotic worked and I am now fit as a fiddle. Needless to say that I have lost my faith in the medical profession in Thailand, because I went from nearly losing my lung to a course of antibiotics. I was panic stricken at the thought of the first diagnosis. Go home and get it checked out by professionals that are not driven by the dollar.

Cheers, Rick

^^ WOW! Very scary indeed. Happy for the outcome though.

Fingers crossed your story Martin has an ending like that. Do keep us posted mate.

Cheers, Rick

Not so easy for some of the people living outside of the Europe Community a lot of people are not covered in the UK any more it seems like if you are out of the country for any length of time and do not have a residence in the UK you are not covered by the NHS even if you still pay UK taxes

I had absolutely no problem at all with the National health service and have lived in Bangkok for nearly 10 years. I do retain a UK address if that makes any difference, but i don't pay tax just NI.

Cheers, Rick

If you check this link http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Healthcare/Entitle...sable/DH_074386 and can make heads or tails of it I think it says that after 3 months you may not be covered

I had absolutely no problem at all with the National health service and have lived in Bangkok for nearly 10 years. I do retain a UK address if that makes any difference, but i don't pay tax just NI.

Cheers, Rick

If you check this link http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Healthcare/Entitle...sable/DH_074386 and can make heads or tails of it I think it says that after 3 months you may not be covered

Thanks Offset it looks like you are correct. Maybe i was just lucky, but following that incident i now have full medical insurance.

Cheers, Rick

Cheers, Rick

You are (unfortunatley) correct. If you do not live in the UK you do not qualify for treatment, as you rightly say,even if you are only away for just 3 months a year.....unebelieveable.

However, if you own property in the UK and move back into it you are covered from the date you return (or as I read it, I suppose there is nothing to stop you renting something, as long as you have a permanant address), as long as you tell them you have returned to the UK for good.

I also suppose that there is nothing to stop you leaving again when you are better.

Once again good luck Martin

However, if you own property in the UK and move back into it you are covered from the date you return (or as I read it, I suppose there is nothing to stop you renting something, as long as you have a permanant address), as long as you tell them you have returned to the UK for good.

I also suppose that there is nothing to stop you leaving again when you are better.

Once again good luck Martin

I have since found this quoted from the CAB site http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/family...from_abroad.htm if correct it may help the older section that have trouble affording health insurance that becomes very expensive when you are over 65

Visitors who can receive NHS hospital treatment free of charge

You and your dependants are entitled to free NHS hospital treatment if your need for it arose during your visit to the UK. A medical opinion may be needed in order to decide if treatment should be provided free of charge. You have the right to free NHS hospital treatment if:-

• you are a national of an European Economic Area (EEA) country, living in an EEA state or Switzerland, or a refugee or stateless person living in an EEA state or Switzerland, or you are a non-EEA national who lives in an EU state and pays national insurance contributions there
  • you normally live abroad, and are receiving a UK state pension, and have lived in the UK in the past for at least ten years
  • you have lived in the UK for at least ten years in the past, but now live in an EEA state, or in a non-EEA state with which the UK has a reciprocal agreement
  • you are a national, or a resident of certain non-EEA countries, with which the UK has a reciprocal agreement.

• 3 months later...

Visitors who can receive NHS hospital treatment free of charge

You and your dependants are entitled to free NHS hospital treatment if your need for it arose during your visit to the UK. A medical opinion may be needed in order to decide if treatment should be provided free of charge. You have the right to free NHS hospital treatment if:-

• you are a national of an European Economic Area (EEA) country, living in an EEA state or Switzerland, or a refugee or stateless person living in an EEA state or Switzerland, or you are a non-EEA national who lives in an EU state and pays national insurance contributions there
  • you normally live abroad, and are receiving a UK state pension, and have lived in the UK in the past for at least ten years
  • you have lived in the UK for at least ten years in the past, but now live in an EEA state, or in a non-EEA state with which the UK has a reciprocal agreement
  • you are a national, or a resident of certain non-EEA countries, with which the UK has a reciprocal agreement

• OFFSET :D

• This only applies if the illness started during your visit to the UK. A doctor would decide if the illness started before your visit, if so you would be denied all but emergency treatment.
    Just being an OAP and ex resident of UK would not qualify you for treatment. :)

Please try some Essic tea, it has great results of putting cancer into remission, and can be used along with all modern cancer treatments, this confirmed by a doctor of a family member who had cancer.

http://www.essiacproducts.com/?gclid=COemu...CFUwwpAodbmhvKA

Best of luck

This might be the tea my herbal doc is treating me with, comes from a certain area in Cambodia