Police Tagging Farangs In Chiang Mai

sassienie

I am afraid the officer is correct, things will get very bad for farang and thai alike as the global depression sets in.

He wants the photo and bodily dimensions for if a body turns up.

Lets hope kidnappings dont start. Quite popular in other 3rd world countries.

I wish we could legally carry a concealed pistol here.

i think you would be safer in your home country

I also think Thailand would be safer with him in his home country :o

Now I know why you choose your nickname with such a comment .... :D

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't think they can force us to fill in anything .

Should be on an voluntary bases , if indeed for our protection it should be my own choice .

And like some may agree with me , the best protection is to stay as far away from any police officer .

I don't need or want them near me , and thats not because I have something to hide , it is because you

don't know who can be trusted . If they cannot show a paper from the highest officer to fill in the form I will refuse ,

at least they should try to translate it in English , its total nonsense !

I must agree with 'tijnebijn' that they cannot force us to fill out anything. A voluntary program could be designed that would be a benefit to us and the police. Many such programs exist all over the world. To be useful the information would have to be in a database and secure. I don't think the BIB have the ability or inclination to do a proper job. This is one of the most corrupt police forces the world has ever seen. We would be better off leaving our personal information at the nearest Pizza Hut.

My landlord came to my door on behalf of the police, told me that they needed all farangs info within the building. Took copies of my passport and work permit...no head size or anything. This was last week. Apparently police went door to door earlier, but i was working. Even with nothing to hide...looking through my peep hole and seeing the BIB would frighten me.

My landlord came to my door on behalf of the police, told me that they needed all farangs info within the building. Took copies of my passport and work permit...no head size or anything. This was last week. Apparently police went door to door earlier, but i was working. Even with nothing to hide...looking through my peep hole and seeing the BIB would frighten me.

In what city was this, if I may ask?

My address is in Nonthaburi...but it is basically Bangkok.

Is it just a couple of detectives of does even the guys at the front desk know about these forms?

What is creepy about this is is makes a great mailing/hit list for criminals.

Here is a list of homes with probable valuables.

I would decline the registry for sure. They have all they need already with visa etc.

Is it just a couple of detectives of does even the guys at the front desk know about these forms?

I would decline the registry for sure. They have all they need already with visa etc.

first thing that came to mind.sell the list to criminals.

I told this story to my Thai wife & she said that is insane & none should turn it in.

Makes sense that it seems so much like a total set up. See the big gang on the news recently?

The ones that had all kind of inside info of large homes with large safes? They went in with cutting torches.

Now look at this list....Hobbies? As in what kind of stuff does he have?

Picture? Immigration has that. But how nice for a gang to sit outside with it & say yup there he goes house is empty. It could go on & on .....Paranoid? Maybe but I just cannot buy a plain cloths guy gathering info when info is already on file for every falang here. Walking the streets asking locals if any live here??? :o

I told this story to my Thai wife & she said that is insane & none should turn it in.

Makes sense that it seems so much like a total set up. See the big gang on the news recently?

The ones that had all kind of inside info of large homes with large safes? They went in with cutting torches.

Picture? Immigration has that. But how nice for a gang to sit outside with it & say yup there he goes house is empty. It could go on & on .....Paranoid? Maybe but I just cannot buy a plain cloths guy gathering info when info is already on file for every falang here. Walking the streets asking locals if any live here??? :o

well you and me both are suspicious bastards,but it pays to be, same as in the "financial crisis thread"

Could work in my favour as any would be burgulars would learn that I have nothing worth robbing.

No copper visits here but I live in the poor part of town. Chiang Mai. Kind of makes me feel un loved and uncared for. lol

I think I would have decline their invitation to fill out the form. The dog ate it. Can i have another and so on.

Firstly I would decline to fill in their form and I doubt they would ask me.

Going off on a tangent (its about personal details).

I was astounded to see this morning on the Thai news the case of an Irish man who was the victim of some sort of credit card fraud .

(I walked past the TV so only caught part of it). The piece I thought astounding, was when they showed both his credit card and passport in full screen view - all details easily viewed even for those with poor eyesight. There were all his personal details fully magnified for the whole of Thailand to copy down. I am sure if they missed a few they could tune in later and get a repeat view on the next news slot. Surprised they didn't turn over the card so people could see the security code!!!!

The OP situation has happened to me twice in 4 years. I say "me", but all other farangs living locally were contacted also. The police usually do it after some farang has been murdered and identity falls into question. I've even had them take photo's of where I live. Not a problem as I'm not worried about it.

The OP situation has happened to me twice in 4 years. I say "me", but all other farangs living locally were contacted also. The police usually do it after some farang has been murdered and identity falls into question. I've even had them take photo's of where I live.

It already happened 8 or 9 years ago in Chiang Mai, after the rape and murder of a young Welsh backpacker.

The OP situation has happened to me twice in 4 years. I say "me", but all other farangs living locally were contacted also. The police usually do it after some farang has been murdered and identity falls into question. I've even had them take photo's of where I live.

It already happened 8 or 9 years ago in Chiang Mai, after the rape and murder of a young Welsh backpacker.

I don't understand, did they not identify the backpacker? was he/she murdered by a farang in the area? Sorry, I don't see the connection or logic.

Well, they got me yesterday!

Actually, it was a very pleasant Lt. Colonel in plain clothes. Spoke passable English, and everything was done in good humour and without any hassle. I have to say that the idea of having the local police know a little about me, and being able to keep an eye out for me (especially should anything unpleasant happen to me) doesn't fill me with dread. In actual fact, everybody in my village (including the local uniform bib) knows who I am, who I'm living with and pretty well everything else, as would be the case with a foreigner living in a small village in the UK. (For the record, we are about 40km south of CM)

Just a footnote to our dear Mods, would this not be more relevent in the Chiang Mai forum, as I understand that this is very much a local initiative? At least our CM readers would have some prior info on what is likely to happen to them soon.

I don't understand, did they not identify the backpacker? was he/she murdered by a farang in the area? Sorry, I don't see the connection or logic.

They identified the backpacker, a young Welsh girl. The murderer is still on the run as far as I know (They thought the murderer was Irish or English. I don't remember his nationality. Eventually it turned out that the semen was of Asian origin)

Anyways, Farangs who at that time were running bars, guesthouses and maybe other businesses had to fill a form and they were photographed. I was one of them.

Edited by adjan jb

"Police are also asking Farangs to have their picture taken with white makeup on their faces and blue coloring on their lips to help the police identify them should they be found dead."

"It is being decided at this time weather or not we (police) will also require a picture of the Farang floating face down in a river said Police Chief Ayathu. The Chief also suggested that Farangs carry at least 100,000 baht on their person at all times."

Just a footnote to our dear Mods, would this not be more relevent in the Chiang Mai forum

I was considering it but thought it would be useful to see if it is more wide spread then Chiangmai. However, I believe it makes sense for the members it seems to be having an immediate effect on but will leave a link in General for others to find their way.

Should be on an voluntary bases , if indeed for our protection it should be my own choice .

And like some may agree with me , the best protection is to stay as far away from any police officer .

I don't need or want them near me , and thats not because I have something to hide , it is because you

don't know who can be trusted . If they cannot show a paper from the highest officer to fill in the form I will refuse ,

The police came knocking on every farang's door in Maesai back a couple of years ago. They wanted a copy of everyone's passport and took a photo there and then. Speaking to the main cop, he said it was as a result of the death of a Swedish guy a few weeks before. The Swede committed suicide and the police had trouble finding his passport and this caused them a great deal of extra work.

Nothing sinister!

Width of forehead, ......, size of nose, size of ears

Perhaps someone is setting up a motorcycle helmet shop and needs to know what to stock. :D

Actually I don't know how I would respond if they came to my door. There's a police booth at the entry to our moo bahn so easy for them to find me. From what my wife told me, seems everyone in the moo bahn already knows who I am - a bit disconcerting actually. :o

Could work in my favour as any would be burgulars would learn that I have nothing worth robbing.

obviously coming from Swindon you came on a limited budget :D

Is The Moonrakers still there, I lived just round the corner in Wheeler Avenue for 6 months about 20 years ago?

Width of forehead, ......, size of nose, size of ears

Perhaps someone is setting up a motorcycle helmet shop and needs to know what to stock. :D

Actually I don't know how I would respond if they came to my door. There's a police booth at the entry to our moo bahn so easy for them to find me. From what my wife told me, seems everyone in the moo bahn already knows who I am - a bit disconcerting actually. :o

Everything westeners/aliens do is noted by almost all Thais. It's almost a fixation.

Just a footnote to our dear Mods, would this not be more relevent in the Chiang Mai forum

I was considering it but thought it would be useful to see if it is more wide spread then Chiangmai. However, I believe it makes sense for the members it seems to be having an immediate effect on but will leave a link in General for others to find their way.

Good idea... it's pretty smoky and smoggy up there now...

cough2-main_Full.jpg

* cough.. cough... hack... hack *

and besides, those Chiang Mai-ites are forever getting easily lost along the way as it is even without it... :o

Seriously tho', I'm also interested in knowing if this is occurring in other places. Hopefully, it's not.

I agree. And showing you all the data of the others in your area is a total disgrace. The police and other authorities here have got almost all aliens (particularly the obvious white ones) here in Thailand positively s**t scared. It's sad and pathetic really. But almost all these aliens put up with it because they love it here and couldn't live anywhere else???

Next you'll be offerd numbered dog collars (for your own good of course). Many aliens would gleefully subject themselves to that humiliation too I'm sure.Anything to stay here.

Pure xenophobia.

Edited by barky