Police Tagging Farangs In Chiang Mai

sassienie

Funny ( ) that you actually went to the policestation to give them this information.

Would you have done this also in your home country? Or would you have politely told them to leave as its none of their business. Surely you would have told them to leave back home, so why didn't you do now? Because your foreign you accept everything?

MBL

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just wonder whether this was made as a requirement by the Police or whether information could be given on voluntary basis. I believe this is a serious invasion of privacy. Would like to hear what lawyers have to say about this.

The Thai constitution says this:

Section 34. A person's family rights, dignity, reputation or the right of privacy shall be protected.

The assertion or circulation of a statement or picture in any manner whatsoever to the public, which violates or affects a person's family rights, dignity, reputation or the right of privacy, shall not be made except for the case which is beneficial to the public.

There is also a provision under international human rights treaty, signed by Thailand.

except for the case which is beneficial to the public

See link to the excellent Chang Noi's website:

Visit My Website

Edited by seri thai

Since the USA supplies Thailand with the majority of its fire power (not that I agree or disagree I'm neutral) . . .

I find it intriguing that you take the trouble to explain that you are neutral about such a thing.

Edited by Rasseru

The story is very creepy and would make me uncomfortable. I would think that it is intended to assist in immigration related cases but who really knows. Having the Thai police interested in me like that would raise some concern.

Edited by Digitalman

I'm having trouble sensing fear and apprehension over this. If the cops stop by and politely drop off a form, I'll smile, engage in some chit chat, take the form, offer a glass of water, see them on their way, and just forget the whole thing. Maybe I'll fill in some of the info, maybe I won't. I doubt that some overseeing Thai bureaucratic central intelligence machine is smoothly coordinating a systematic review of my nose length, cross checked against my cell number, bank account, spending habits, hobbies, and ThaiVisa user name. I mean, seriously, this is a place that can't even manage to build sidewalks; I think 1984 is a long way off.

Can "Thaksin" now be used as a verb for running to the UK away from bail and criminal litigation?

eg. Giles did a Thaksin.

That seems odd. Is 'favour' being used as a verb in the expression 'to do someone a favour'? What about 'one's best' in 'to do one's best'?

Reckon he's got you there SJ---surely an adverb, but then I was s**t at grammar--see, I didn't go to a grammar school [ sorry, English joke]

Neither verb nor adverb but abstract noun, in grammatical terms; although of course nonexistent in the english language.

I'm having trouble sensing fear and apprehension over this. If the cops stop by and politely drop off a form, I'll smile, engage in some chit chat, take the form, offer a glass of water, see them on their way, and just forget the whole thing. Maybe I'll fill in some of the info, maybe I won't. I doubt that some overseeing Thai bureaucratic central intelligence machine is smoothly coordinating a systematic review of my nose length, cross checked against my cell number, bank account, spending habits, hobbies, and ThaiVisa user name. I mean, seriously, this is a place that can't even manage to build sidewalks; I think 1984 is a long way off.

you may be right about the sidewalks but they are pretty advanced in some other areas

they don't need orwell's book, thye could write a better one

2 days ago I was out shopping. When I arrived home my wife informed me that the local police had visited my home, some in plain clothes.

The plain clothes policemen asked some questions about me, left a form to fill in and requested that after I had completed the form, to either take to the local police station or the police will visit me again and collect the form.

We also discovered that the police had asked local people if they know of the addresses of other Farangs in the area.

All the questions on the form were in Thai and answers were expected to be written in Thai, so I asked my wife to assist me with the form.

Questions on the form included:

Width of forehead, colour of skin, size of nose, size of ears, any distinguishing marks on body, body size, pitch of voice, height, hobbies, occupation, passport details, telephone number, plus a photo of myself.

Yesterday my wife and I decided to take the completed form to the police station. Once there the policeman that previously visited my home took us into his office for an interview. He could speak passable English and explained that in Chiang Mai there has been a substantial increase in crime against Farangs, such as theft, murders, muggings and vehicle theft. He said that the police are now going to keep a regular watch and contact with Farangs in my area, (near Chom Thong) not only for my own protection but also as a deterrent to curb drug dealing and crime especially since there has been a large increase in the amount of Burmese moving into the area. He also described the situation that due to the economic crisis, many Thai people are becoming desperate to acquire money and Farangs are obvious targets for resentment and crime.

The policeman concluded by giving us advice on how to secure our home and gave his contact details if we required help from them.

Although the policeman was at all times courteous, friendly and polite, he did show me, without my asking, the personal details of other Farangs in the area that had submitting their forms, as if suggesting because I am a Farang, that I should know all the other Farangs in my area. I explained that I do not know them, but the policeman still described their details to me on the forms.

I do not know if this is happening in other areas of Thailand and interested if anyone has had any similar experiences recently?

Suggest one and all go to infowars.com and see what is happening in the US under the same flag of convenience... Scary! Last week it was discovered that Google were downloading all the photographs passing thru the internet and storing them for facial recognition...You know the kind of stuff where you go on holiday and send your mates your photos thru one of the services... This is me on the beach with Mick in Phuket etc!!! I think everybody is aware that computers and mobile phones are chipped so we can be easily tracked but what really did my head in was last week I was listening (on my computer) to a US Independent Radio Station discussing the Obama Deception when for no reason at all the camera on my Mac came on !!! And no matter what I did I could not turn it off ... The only possible way I can turn it on is by opening a particular prog and I didn't and rarely do but somebody else was able to. The big green light was on and Big Brother was watching me! It happened on two more occasions over the following 10 days....

i had a similar experience in the village where i live not far from roi-et they saw me sitting on the bench outside my wifes house asked me who i was what i was doing there i said having a beer and watching my wifes daughter play volleyball i did notice a thai who was a stranger checking me out a bit earleir maybe my army be careful nature kicked in but a bit weird the police turned up not long after he left

Suggest one and all go to infowars.com and see what is happening in the US under the same flag of convenience... Scary! Last week it was discovered that Google were downloading all the photographs passing thru the internet and storing them for facial recognition...You know the kind of stuff where you go on holiday and send your mates your photos thru one of the services... This is me on the beach with Mick in Phuket etc!!! I think everybody is aware that computers and mobile phones are chipped so we can be easily tracked but what really did my head in was last week I was listening (on my computer) to a US Independent Radio Station discussing the Obama Deception when for no reason at all the camera on my Mac came on !!! And no matter what I did I could not turn it off ... The only possible way I can turn it on is by opening a particular prog and I didn't and rarely do but somebody else was able to. The big green light was on and Big Brother was watching me! It happened on two more occasions over the following 10 days....

Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean people aren't watching you, but in this case there might be other explanations. A friend of mine conversant with Macs explains it this way:

there can be other reasons why the camera goes on.

If it is hooked up with iChat for example. The computer goes to sleep and is awaken. IChat turns on, connects with AIM or .Mac and camera becomes activated automatically so others can see to invite you to a video chat and not just an audio chat.

Under Sharing in System preferences, remote login and remote management and remote Apple Events would allow the open port for outsiders to get it with passwords, user names and the IP number of your computer and then try to get control to start a process or get control of the admin account.

It is also possible that a virus or rootkit was attached to something that was downloaded from the internet. The latest torrent available for pirated iWork or iLife software introduced an attempt of a script to do something like that.

Activity Monitor (in Applications->Utilities) will list the processes (applications) that are running. First check the ones in the sub menu called MyProcesses to identify everything that user clicked on.

Take a snapshot of running processes when it happened and I can go through them to eliminate some.

A thief of a Mac was identified by remotely taking his photo with laptop camera.

By god it's started! Under the guise of protecting us they are gathering information to one day soon round us all up and herd us into camps, flee now my brothers while you still can! Ok seriously, seems like a good idea I guess... but why does it make me my spider sense tingle thinking about the THAI mafia, er... police gathering information on me?

Since the USA 1. supplies Thailand with the majority of its fire power (not that I agree or disagree I'm neutral) and the USA serves as a deterrent to other nations that may have their eyes on Thailand I highly 2. doubt the Thais would start rounding up Westerners and herd us in to interment camps of any kind. Quite frankly to commit such an act would be the end of Thailand as Thais know it.

1. during the interim coup government there were no supplies from US, but thyere were supplies

2. so why are they so xenophobic to westerners

Quite popular in other 3rd world countries.

Other 3rd world countries????

Thailand is not a third world country.

can you explain?

The term was coined by Alfred Sauvy, a French economist. It was a reference to developing and under-developed countries that were aligned neither with the capitalist bloc (First World) nor with the communist bloc (Second World).

It seems to me that at that time Thailand was clearly aligned with the First World (especially the US).

Now that the Second World has vanished, the term is used to describe developing and under-developed countries.

Personally I don’t like it for 3 reasons:

It’s derogatory.

It’s stupid to have a First and a Third World without any second one.

It doesn’t make any sense to compare Thailand to Haiti or Sudan (for example).

I prefer the terms developed, developing and under-developed countries. They're more accurate.

• 2 weeks later...
Quite popular in other 3rd world countries.

Other 3rd world countries????

Thailand is not a third world country.

can you explain?

The term was coined by Alfred Sauvy, a French economist. It was a reference to developing and under-developed countries that were aligned neither with the capitalist bloc (First World) nor with the communist bloc (Second World).

It seems to me that at that time Thailand was clearly aligned with the First World (especially the US).

Now that the Second World has vanished, the term is used to describe developing and under-developed countries.

Personally I don't like it for 3 reasons:

It's derogatory.

It's stupid to have a First and a Third World without any second one.

It doesn't make any sense to compare Thailand to Haiti or Sudan (for example).

I prefer the terms developed, developing and under-developed countries. They're more accurate.

Good brief history of the term, "Third World."

For a number of years even your terms (developed, developing, and under-developed) have become insensitive or derogatory in many quarters, so many people try to clarify what they mean by preceding each with the term, "economically."

By god it's started! Under the guise of protecting us they are gathering information to one day soon round us all up and herd us into camps, flee now my brothers while you still can! Ok seriously, seems like a good idea I guess... but why does it make me my spider sense tingle thinking about the THAI mafia, er... police gathering information on me?

Since the USA 1. supplies Thailand with the majority of its fire power (not that I agree or disagree I'm neutral) and the USA serves as a deterrent to other nations that may have their eyes on Thailand I highly 2. doubt the Thais would start rounding up Westerners and herd us in to interment camps of any kind. Quite frankly to commit such an act would be the end of Thailand as Thais know it.

1. during the interim coup government there were no supplies from US, but thyere were supplies

Not xenophobic in my experience. But, looking around, one can see how the appearance, language, tone, and clothes of a lot of individual farang can be really off-putting. Add to that the tendency of many farang to go into " pub and club cantonment" mode and not really try to integrate themselves into Thai society and you certainly unimpress some people.

Edited by Mapguy

Looks like a no-win situation for the cops. If there is an increase in crime, which can be expected as the economy tanks, they will be asked why they aren't doing more to protect farangs. If they are proactive and engage in what appears to be a voluntary effort (if this is mandatory I stand corrected) everyone is all over them for violating personal privacy. If I was them I would feel like I would feel about some group of foreigners in my home country whining about some violation of their culture or life-styles. Which is to say, too dam_n bad.

Not xenophobic in my experience. But, looking around, one can see how the appearance, language, tone, and clothes of a lot of individual farang can be really off-putting. Add to that the tendency of many farang to go into " pub and club cantonment" mode and not really try to integrate themselves into Thai society and you certainly unimpress some people.

I am sure you may be right about some farang. And I respect your view that your experience is that they are not xenophobic

My point was why are they xenophobic given the aid received ( except during the coup government )

... snip ... My point was why are they xenophobic given the aid received ( except during the coup government )

Hi Khun Caf,

I would seriously question the generalization that Thais are xenophobic, at all. But, if by that question you are implying another question like : "how come they don't absolutely adore us Farang at all times no matter how dissolute, impolite, racist, and ignorant of a culture far older than America's, and treat us all like visiting poobahs ?," then I would have to start singing : "money can't buy me love" by The Beatles.

~o:37;

If this was for the purpose stated, great! But, it is making me think twice about being out in the sticks and/or buying a house (*). It was stated by the police officer that Burmese have moved into the region. I am assuming that this remark was meant to mean that Burmese people are dangerous and could be breaking in houses,... I am surprised to hear that just Burmese people break in and murder people in Thailand! I remember reading on TV that not just Burmese do this. However, we know that Burmese people are not usually wealthy (except the ones living in the new capital) and would be more likely to be desperate! I found it interesting that that crime and drugs seemed to go hand in hand. Perhaps legalization and regulation of drugs would remove these dangers.

* Yet another argument for not buying a house!

Appearance, language, tone, clothes of farangs? What do you mean? Do all Thai people dress, speak, and present themselves in a "proper" way all the time? Some tourists might not be aware of some rules BTW and farangs because they have hair on their body might not be able to endure pants and coats at midday in the sun. I have had a few experiences in many countries, incl. Thailand, where I felt I was targeted because I was not Thai, but then I also experienced gestures of kindness by many Thais too. At the end of the day, I think xenophobia is about a lack of education (awareness) and usually also about a low level of intelligence.

Edited by rethaired

What makes you think they are xenophobic, let's get that part out of the way first.. Most wouldn't agree with you that.

Actually I think most would, having read other threads and other topics on line.

I live here and like Thailand and its people (in the main) and have no problems just that i believe they are xenophobic from the evidence.

i'll start a poll

Then you will be free to discuss the levels of American aid and the reason for it and how it doesnt sit wekll with xenophobia

• 2 weeks later...
My landlord came to my door on behalf of the police, told me that they needed all farangs info within the building. Took copies of my passport and work permit...no head size or anything. This was last week. Apparently police went door to door earlier, but i was working. Even with nothing to hide...looking through my peep hole and seeing the BIB would frighten me.

In what city was this, if I may ask?

My address is in Nonthaburi...but it is basically Bangkok.

I have lived in Nonthaburi now for about 5 years and never been asked for this. My details are already with the local Government as I have my yellow book and a driving license, all issued in Nonthaburi.

I would not let them in the house or answer any questions. You cannot be sure what this is about. Here in the south, where I live, the police are running a scam on foreigners, going to foreigners houses and demanding to enter for "inspection." once inside they find all sorts of "violations" or "concerns" that require payment of money to resolve. This actually happened to me. I toldthe policeman he could not enter without a court order and he began to sream at me that I was a Farang, he is police, this is Thailand. I calmly told him I am Kon Farang, not farang, this is not Thailand it is my house, and if he is police he should be polite. Then he really went beserk. But he did not get in my house.

The police check points are also another concern for farangs; the police here are very active in extorting money from farang drivers at the checkpoints. Apparantly the breathalizer machines they use do not register lower than .05 under any circumstances. But, no worry, 20,000 or 40,000 baht can "fix." the problem. Up to 100,000 baht if you really are drunk. And they actaully let the drunk drive away.

Basically, there is no such thing as police in this country. Dont let them know anything about you if possible.

Now, it is true that crime is getting bad and is going to get worse. But I think the stories of everyone is going to be roudned up and deported back to Australia, or wherever, are exagerated.

The best means to protect your self here is

1 Learn to speak Thai very well.

2 Carefully choose where you live.

3 Treat everyone politely and watch your speech.

4 Dont back down from police but retmain polite if you are in the right.

5 Dont work in the bar or entertainment business; dont take business away from local Thais

6 Never react to a provication.

• 1 month later...
I just wonder whether this was made as a requirement by the Police or whether information could be given on voluntary basis. I believe this is a serious invasion of privacy. Would like to hear what lawyers have to say about this.

The Thai constitution says this:

Section 34. A person's family rights, dignity, reputation or the right of privacy shall be protected.

The assertion or circulation of a statement or picture in any manner whatsoever to the public, which violates or affects a person's family rights, dignity, reputation or the right of privacy, shall not be made except for the case which is beneficial to the public.

There is also a provision under international human rights treaty, signed by Thailand.

Is that in the current constitution? Where can we get a copy of the international human rights treaty with Thailand's signature?

Interesting thread. Funny that we have not had any "Thailand is great and if you don't like it, you can go home" type responses.

Anyway, I would not be bothered in the least if the police asked me for this information. As for standing on principle and tell ing them to <deleted> off, did anyone notice the recent Tak Bai court ruling? In the same vein, I doubt that the authorities would be very impressed with a foreign citizen quoting them their legal rights. But hey, I'm usually wrong so give it a try and let us knows how it goes :)

In six years I have been asked to show ID one time at a road block during New Years. No problems or a shake down for tea money, just a few laughs and I am on my way.

I do enjoy Thailand but I look in the mirror each day and I see the farang looking back at me. I am here at the pleasure of the Thai government and its people and that privledge can be revoked in a heart beat. No worries, I never bought anything here more expensive than my little Honda CZi Mini Beast :D so I can be outa here in a few hours with no regrets. I understand that some folks have put down more permanent roots and I can appreciate their anxiety, but our purchases here are voluntary. You pays your money and you takes your chances.

Now on the positive side, I seriously doubt that there is any official effort being made to gather data for the purposes of exploiting, abusing ordeporting foreigners. Yes, Immigration already has a lot of information on us but I doubt that there is much sharing of date between Thai government agencies. Its the same in the USA, most agencies jealously guard their turf and I doubt its any different here.

My hunch is that the Chiang Mai police kicked this around during a staff meeting (or the Top Dog decreed it himself) and decided that it was a good idea -or would appear as one- to be proactive and seen to be doing something to control crime. Time will tell and until then... Cheers and beers :D

Lance

An update to when I began this thread back in March:

As for my situation, have heard nothing since and all is quite on the Eastern front.

Did hear a rumour that a Canadian living in my area and was also visited by the police last March, was arrested because his visa had expired. The 63 year old guy was 18 days over due with his visa run.

He was arrested, imprisoned, fined than deported.

So any Farangs living here who are on the iffy side, keep looking over that shoulder, you may be next.

Living out in the sticks is no longer a surety that you wont be detected.

Edited by sassienie