Police Tagging Farangs In Chiang Mai

sassienie

2 days ago I was out shopping. When I arrived home my wife informed me that the local police had visited my home, some in plain clothes.

The plain clothes policemen asked some questions about me, left a form to fill in and requested that after I had completed the form, to either take to the local police station or the police will visit me again and collect the form.

We also discovered that the police had asked local people if they know of the addresses of other Farangs in the area.

All the questions on the form were in Thai and answers were expected to be written in Thai, so I asked my wife to assist me with the form.

Questions on the form included:

Width of forehead, colour of skin, size of nose, size of ears, any distinguishing marks on body, body size, pitch of voice, height, hobbies, occupation, passport details, telephone number, plus a photo of myself.

Yesterday my wife and I decided to take the completed form to the police station. Once there the policeman that previously visited my home took us into his office for an interview. He could speak passable English and explained that in Chiang Mai there has been a substantial increase in crime against Farangs, such as theft, murders, muggings and vehicle theft. He said that the police are now going to keep a regular watch and contact with Farangs in my area, (near Chom Thong) not only for my own protection but also as a deterrent to curb drug dealing and crime especially since there has been a large increase in the amount of Burmese moving into the area. He also described the situation that due to the economic crisis, many Thai people are becoming desperate to acquire money and Farangs are obvious targets for resentment and crime.

The policeman concluded by giving us advice on how to secure our home and gave his contact details if we required help from them.

Although the policeman was at all times courteous, friendly and polite, he did show me, without my asking, the personal details of other Farangs in the area that had submitting their forms, as if suggesting because I am a Farang, that I should know all the other Farangs in my area. I explained that I do not know them, but the policeman still described their details to me on the forms.

I do not know if this is happening in other areas of Thailand and interested if anyone has had any similar experiences recently?

Edited by sassienie

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am afraid the officer is correct, things will get very bad for farang and thai alike as the global depression sets in.

He wants the photo and bodily dimensions for if a body turns up.

Lets hope kidnappings dont start. Quite popular in other 3rd world countries.

I wish we could legally carry a concealed pistol here.

By god it's started! Under the guise of protecting us they are gathering information to one day soon round us all up and herd us into camps, flee now my brothers while you still can! Ok seriously, seems like a good idea I guess... but why does it make me my spider sense tingle thinking about the THAI mafia, er... police gathering information on me?

This is one of this creepiest Thai news items I have ever read but there is a certain logic to it, assuming you can accept the total loss of privacy (which is both shocking and creepy). Also enjoyed the anecdote about the silly assumption that farangs all know each other.

Edited by Jingthing

Width of forehead, colour of skin, size of nose, size of ears, any distinguishing marks on body, body size, pitch of voice, height, hobbies, occupation, passport details, telephone number, plus a photo of myself.

I'm not a policeman..but isn't this what fingerprints are for...they do it at the US border.

Hobbies ....haha...we have found a dead body in the canal, we think he was into knitting.

Maybe the Chiang Mai police are "old school"...haha.

What if there are no hands to fingerprint when they find the body? They collected information on every part of the people so that if any part is found, they can identify who it is. You know Thais like to cut people up.

DNA cheek swab then.

Anyone charged with an offence, in the UK, and maybe other countries also, have a DNA swab taken at the time of being charged.

Do the BiB do this? If so, then there should be a database of individual DNA

Edited by TEFLMike

Width of forehead, colour of skin, size of nose, size of ears......

Maybe they are using phrenolgy to determine whether you have any criminal tendencies. :D

.... he did show me, without my asking, the personal details of other Farangs in the area that had submitting their forms, as if suggesting because I am a Farang, that I should know all the other Farangs in my area. I explained that I do not know them, but the policeman still described their details to me on the forms.

Perfect opportunity for you to use your skills in this field to determine the character flaws of your farang neighbours & thus make an informed decision as whether to socialize or not.

People with a high 'Width of forehead/nose size' ratio coupled with 'prolific TV poster' (from hobbies section) are probably best avoided. :o

This is one of this creepiest Thai news items I have ever read but there is a certain logic to it, assuming you can accept the total loss of privacy (which is both shocking and creepy).

Agreed.

If they knock on my door, I'll be polite and take the form but I won't bring it back to the police station. By not returning the form, I don't think I'll be breaking any law.

I'm surprised they didn't ask for the size of your penis.

This data collection format had no associated national press release from the RTP or the MoI. Is this something strictly local since I am unaware of the activity. I wouldn't be surprised if this was a field test for profiling. As we all know, certain jobs in Thailand can attract undesirables. By studying ages, hobbies etc., one can see if the subject fits the profile. It would certainly produce some interesting results.

Not reassuring and very big brotherish.

2 days ago I was out shopping. When I arrived home my wife informed me that the local police had visited my home, some in plain clothes.

The plain clothes policemen asked some questions about me, left a form to fill in and requested that after I had completed the form, to either take to the local police station or the police will visit me again and collect the form.

We also discovered that the police had asked local people if they know of the addresses of other Farangs in the area.

All the questions on the form were in Thai and answers were expected to be written in Thai, so I asked my wife to assist me with the form.

Yesterday my wife and I decided to take the completed form to the police station. Once there the policeman that previously visited my home took us into his office for an interview. He could speak passable English and explained that in Chiang Mai there has been a substantial increase in crime against Farangs, such as theft, murders, muggings and vehicle theft. He said that the police are now going to keep a regular watch and contact with Farangs in my area, (near Chom Thong) not only for my own protection but also as a deterrent to curb drug dealing and crime especially since there has been a large increase in the amount of Burmese moving into the area. He also described the situation that due to the economic crisis, many Thai people are becoming desperate to acquire money and Farangs are obvious targets for resentment and crime.

The policeman concluded by giving us advice on how to secure our home and gave his contact details if we required help from them.

Although the policeman was at all times courteous, friendly and polite, he did show me, without my asking, the personal details of other Farangs in the area that had submitting their forms, as if suggesting because I am a Farang, that I should know all the other Farangs in my area. I explained that I do not know them, but the policeman still described their details to me on the forms.

I do not know if this is happening in other areas of Thailand and interested if anyone has had any similar experiences recently?

Truthfully this scares the hel_l out of me.

Agree with previous poster. VERY Big Brotherish.

If they knock on my door I may not answer

Seems very very odd to me. It would also seem evident that the Authorities already have most of this information, they have your passport details, picture of your face at the airport, notification of you address, its already all done. Very strange. Very Thailand.

I just wonder whether this was made as a requirement by the Police or whether information could be given on voluntary basis. I believe this is a serious invasion of privacy. Would like to hear what lawyers have to say about this.

There have been a number of posts from members over the past couple of years reporting the same thing.

2 weeks ago I had to provide the same information and a photo to the brother in law who is a local cop. He said the police are required to keep a register of all Farangs living in their area. The information is linked to the information you provide to immigration regarding your address whilst in Thailand.

Agreed, very very strange

Why would they bother driving around the suburbs visiting people when they could just get immigration to hand out the forms (plus explanatory cover letter) at the immigration office?

Why would they waste time asking neighbours about the addresses of farang unless this was about visa overstayers? And I can't imagine they care that much about the welfare of overstayers?

Why wouldn't they do a media release in the cnx paper, citylife, etc to explain what this is about and to ask for co-operation? Also in the Thai papers - as a possible deterrent to the bad guys?

If I thought they could ever locate the records again in their office (let alone have a functional computer database) it would be very big brother-ish. More likely though just a misguided 'initiative' on the part of some be-medalled dude angling for a promotion.

Maybe someone could contact the citylife editor and they could interview the cops about this for the april mag?

This is one of this creepiest Thai news items I have ever read but there is a certain logic to it, assuming you can accept the total loss of privacy (which is both shocking and creepy).

Agreed.

If they knock on my door, I'll be polite and take the form but I won't bring it back to the police station. By not returning the form, I don't think I'll be breaking any law.

No need.. Every Thai already knows that all farangs are hung like donkeys :o

I live in Nakorn Sri Thammarat and was asked to fill this form out recently by the local police. I think it is so that the local police have a record of you. Yes, immigration have your passport details and photo already but the local police do not. Different department and they want some info on you too. Some of the information they wanted was quite funny, but i have to say the whole form filling out process didn't take to much out my day and i learnt a few new words as well. Thailand - Big Brother ha ha, i think if you read the book you would know that advanced technology and good organisation were just a couple of things required, something lacking here. My favourite part was the bit where the monkey drives the car :o

Agreed.

No need.. Every Thai already knows that all farangs are hung like donkeys :D

lol :o sounds creepy though alright that they want this knid on info

Edited by barrybike

I just wonder whether this was made as a requirement by the Police or whether information could be given on voluntary basis. I believe this is a serious invasion of privacy. Would like to hear what lawyers have to say about this.

The Thai constitution says this:

Section 34. A person's family rights, dignity, reputation or the right of privacy shall be protected.

The assertion or circulation of a statement or picture in any manner whatsoever to the public, which violates or affects a person's family rights, dignity, reputation or the right of privacy, shall not be made except for the case which is beneficial to the public.

There is also a provision under international human rights treaty, signed by Thailand.

This is one of this creepiest Thai news items I have ever read but there is a certain logic to it, assuming you can accept the total loss of privacy (which is both shocking and creepy). Also enjoyed the anecdote about the silly assumption that farangs all know each other.

Thais seem to have little concept of privacy of information.. My brother applying for a UK visa for his missus had that VFS crowd show him other applicants forms including other guys bank account infos.. Major car dealers selling thier customers contact info and purchase records.. etc etc

I am afraid the officer is correct, things will get very bad for farang and thai alike as the global depression sets in.

i think you would be safer in your home country

Agreed.

admit it, you slipped this in there because you want to know.

Don't think they can force us to fill in anything .

Should be on an voluntary bases , if indeed for our protection it should be my own choice .

And like some may agree with me , the best protection is to stay as far away from any police officer .

I don't need or want them near me , and thats not because I have something to hide , it is because you

don't know who can be trusted . If they cannot show a paper from the highest officer to fill in the form I will refuse ,

at least they should try to translate it in English , its total nonsense !

This sounds very unusual and there might be some other motive like scanning your picture into a police data base using face detection technology to search for persons of interest. What does your embassy say about this?

Crime is a lot worse in Mexico now.... sometimes with police involvement else they will become victims too.

Drug violence claimed 6,290 people last year, double the previous year, and more than 1,000 in the first eight weeks of 2009.

The US state department travel alert reads in part: "The greatest increase in violence has occurred near the US border. However, US citizens travelling throughout Mexico should exercise caution in unfamiliar areas and be aware of their surroundings at all times.

Mexican and foreign bystanders have been injured or killed in violent attacks in cities across the country, demonstrating the heightened risk of violence in public places. In recent years, dozens of US citizens have been kidnapped across Mexico."

U.S. student spring break vacations to Mexico are being canceled and taken elsewhere. See

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/mar/1...o-drug-violence

Something vaguely similar happened at least once in Bangkok in the 1980s. The police came to my apartment block and asked the manager for the details of all foreigners living there. There was no interview and we never found out what it was all about.

i think you would be safer in your home country

I also think Thailand would be safer with him in his home country :o

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai