Police Tagging Farangs In Chiang Mai

sassienie

it sounds like the sort of issue which should be dealt with by the immigration authorities rather than the police force. i'd certainly politely decline to fill in any forms which weren't linked to visa or immigration issues.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'barky'[/color] date='2009-03-12 16:00:27' post='2591699']

Next you'll be offerd numbered dog collars (for your own good of course). Many aliens would gleefully subject themselves to that humiliation too I'm sure.Anything to stay here.

Pretty strange you should mention this....

it sounds like the sort of issue which should be dealt with by the immigration authorities rather than the police force. i'd certainly politely decline to fill in any forms which weren't linked to visa or immigration issues.

I wager that most ex-pats when asked to comply with a police request to complete a form, will oblige and do so.

This is Thailand and as we know, the authorities can make things pretty inconvenient for those here who wish to stand by their rights, as we don’t have any, only privileges.

For those who are bordering on the legit or into anything dodgy, now is the time to get your affairs in order.

I've had the police show up at my door several times. Luckly they were looking for Indians in one case and Burmese in the other case. In both cases I was asked to show my WP and passport. If you don't have the right paperwork you will be <deleted>..

I'm not quite sure of how long time ago it was a live thread nor in which forum it was running - but this thread could actually be nothing but an automatically "modified" version of another thread on some TV-forum about two years ago. About same OP which triggered the same replies which, although slightly different in choice of words and apostrophes, doesn't give anything new to me and probably similarly not to anyone else familiar with TV-history.

Put in short: nothing to see here - just business as usual.

Quite popular in other 3rd world countries.

Other 3rd world countries????

Thailand is not a third world country.

No :o

I tend to agree with you though. Thailand has not yet been elevated to the rank of 3rd (world countries)

Edited by john b good

2 days ago I was out shopping. When I arrived home my wife informed me that the local police had visited my home, some in plain clothes.

The plain clothes policemen asked some questions about me, left a form to fill in and requested that after I had completed the form, to either take to the local police station or the police will visit me again and collect the form.

Something vaguely similar happened at least once in Bangkok in the 1980s. The police came to my apartment block and asked the manager for the details of all foreigners living there. There was no interview and we never found out what it was all about.

Condo and apartment managers have to supply details on a regular basis of expats residing in their buildings .

Not sure how it's done for the moo baans.

The OP situation has happened to me twice in 4 years. I say "me", but all other farangs living locally were contacted also. The police usually do it after some farang has been murdered and identity falls into question. I've even had them take photo's of where I live.

It already happened 8 or 9 years ago in Chiang Mai, after the rape and murder of a young Welsh backpacker.

I don't understand, did they not identify the backpacker? was he/she murdered by a farang in the area? Sorry, I don't see the connection or logic.

They identified the backpacker, a young Welsh girl. The murderer is still on the run as far as I know (They thought the murderer was Irish or English. I don't remember his nationality. Eventually it turned out that the semen was of Asian origin)

Anyways, Farangs who at that time were running bars, guesthouses and maybe other businesses had to fill a form and they were photographed. I was one of them.

"They thought the murderer was Irish or English. I don't remember his nationality" English by the name of Andy Gill (leastaways that what he was known as)

Edited by john b good

I am afraid the officer is correct, things will get very bad for farang and thai alike as the global depression sets in.

He wants the photo and bodily dimensions for if a body turns up.

Lets hope kidnappings dont start. Quite popular in other 3rd world countries.

I wish we could legally carry a concealed pistol here.

Yikes and with a user name like that! Please don't take up "hunting" in the sois of Chiang Mai.

The OP situation has happened to me twice in 4 years. I say "me", but all other farangs living locally were contacted also. The police usually do it after some farang has been murdered and identity falls into question. I've even had them take photo's of where I live.

It already happened 8 or 9 years ago in Chiang Mai, after the rape and murder of a young Welsh backpacker.

I don't understand, did they not identify the backpacker? was he/she murdered by a farang in the area? Sorry, I don't see the connection or logic.

They identified the backpacker, a young Welsh girl. The murderer is still on the run as far as I know (They thought the murderer was Irish or English. I don't remember his nationality. Eventually it turned out that the semen was of Asian origin)

Anyways, Farangs who at that time were running bars, guesthouses and maybe other businesses had to fill a form and they were photographed. I was one of them.

The culprit was never caught and much evidence was regarded as suspect, some leads were never followed up

Quite popular in other 3rd world countries.

Other 3rd world countries????

Thailand is not a third world country.

No :o

I tend to agree with you though. Thailand has not yet been elevated to the rank of 3rd (world countries)

Good point. This is not the place to define democracy, but it is good that rights of free speech, free press an independent judiciary, being able to question an elected government etc etc are being considered i defining 3rd or 4th world countries.

Well if they come round my gaff I will do a Burrows and tell them to f off!

and yet another new verb form is created... well done... :o

eg. jackr did a Burrows

Can "Thaksin" now be used as a verb for running to the UK away from bail and criminal litigation?

eg. Giles did a Thaksin.

and what would happen if you poiltely decline?

and how exactly do you politely decline a thai official with a gun in his belt and no redress to the courts

eg. jackr did a Burrows

Can "Thaksin" now be used as a verb for running to the UK away from bail and criminal litigation?

eg. Giles did a Thaksin.

That seems odd. Is 'favour' being used as a verb in the expression 'to do someone a favour'? What about 'one's best' in 'to do one's best'?

and how exactly do you politely decline a thai official with a gun in his belt and no redress to the courts

You tell him to f off :o

I hear all these stories and I don't doubt them for one minute. From reading various threads it seems that there are very many people that are the target of the police or immigration. I am now in my 13th year and I have never had a 'strange' experience with either the police or immigration - except once stupidly without my seatbelt on and that was a 400 baht ticket 'for driving without a helmet' lol.

Do they target certain areas of Chiangmai or do they go through a list alphabetically.....what do you think their criteria is? I'm near the river less than 10 minutes from the night bazaar, Thapae etc, and would be about 7th alphabetically - quite local for both police and immigration.

Seems strange that I've never had a visit or a problem in all this time.

eg. jackr did a Burrows

eg. Giles did a Thaksin.

That seems odd. Is 'favour' being used as a verb in the expression 'to do someone a favour'? What about 'one's best' in 'to do one's best'?

Reckon he's got you there SJ---surely an adverb, but then I was s**t at grammar--see, I didn't go to a grammar school [ sorry, English joke]

By smiling, thanking him for the visit and saying you'll fill it in, and then don't.

In the unlikely event you get a reminder you basically repeat, make up an excuse and then again don't do anything. Repeat as needed.

Most Thais are familiar with the concept. :o

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

By smiling, thanking him for the visit and saying you'll fill it in, and then don't.

In the unlikely event you get a reminder you basically repeat, make up an excuse and then again don't do anything. Repeat as needed.

Most Thais are familiar with the concept. :o

Yes I understand. It works for Thais but would it work for farang. And what if the second visit he is more persistent and takes you off to the station.

Tell the nice policeman you can't read or write -- and you'll require some assistance -- from a translation company -- sometime next week.

Surely that works for millions of Thais that don't want anything to do with the Royal Thai police. If you can come up with a way to make the cops think or do work, they're off like scalded dogs.

Tomartoh has it right. Thai cops do nothing unless there's something in it for them.

You could always tell them the same thing poor old Simon told them :o

By god it's started! Under the guise of protecting us they are gathering information to one day soon round us all up and herd us into camps, flee now my brothers while you still can! Ok seriously, seems like a good idea I guess... but why does it make me my spider sense tingle thinking about the THAI mafia, er... police gathering information on me?

Since the USA supplies Thailand with the majority of its fire power (not that I agree or disagree I'm neutral) and the USA serves as a deterrent to other nations that may have their eyes on Thailand I highly doubt the Thais would start rounding up Westerners and herd us in to interment camps of any kind. Quite frankly to commit such an act would be the end of Thailand as Thais know it.