Police Tagging Farangs In Chiang Mai

sassienie

An update to when I began this thread back in March:

As for my situation, have heard nothing since and all is quite on the Eastern front.

Did hear a rumour that a Canadian living in my area and was also visited by the police last March, was arrested because his visa had expired. The 63 year old guy was 18 days over due with his visa run.

He was arrested, imprisoned, fined than deported.

So any Farangs living here who are on the iffy side, keep looking over that shoulder, you may be next.

Living out in the sticks is no longer a surety that you wont be detected.

Police are busy on the outskirts of Korat trying to get farang to supply pics, copy of passport. I was also told they want to take my fingerprints.

They have already got all the details of a neighbour that is here on a retirement visa.

I No problems with all this except: 1/ I am in thailand on a current tourist visa. 2/ I have not got a criminal record and have never had to supply finger prints in my own country (new zealand)

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What if there are no hands to fingerprint when they find the body? They collected information on every part of the people so that if any part is found, they can identify who it is. You know Thais like to cut people up.

DNA, dental records, fingerprints, missing persons reports.

I would not let them in the house or answer any questions. You cannot be sure what this is about. Here in the south, where I live, the police are running a scam on foreigners, going to foreigners houses and demanding to enter for "inspection." once inside they find all sorts of "violations" or "concerns" that require payment of money to resolve. This actually happened to me. I toldthe policeman he could not enter without a court order and he began to sream at me that I was a Farang, he is police, this is Thailand. I calmly told him I am Kon Farang, not farang, this is not Thailand it is my house, and if he is police he should be polite. Then he really went beserk. But he did not get in my house.

The police check points are also another concern for farangs; the police here are very active in extorting money from farang drivers at the checkpoints. Apparantly the breathalizer machines they use do not register lower than .05 under any circumstances. But, no worry, 20,000 or 40,000 baht can "fix." the problem. Up to 100,000 baht if you really are drunk. And they actaully let the drunk drive away.

Basically, there is no such thing as police in this country. Dont let them know anything about you if possible.

Now, it is true that crime is getting bad and is going to get worse. But I think the stories of everyone is going to be roudned up and deported back to Australia, or wherever, are exagerated.

The best means to protect your self here is

1 Learn to speak Thai very well.

2 Carefully choose where you live.

3 Treat everyone politely and watch your speech.

4 Dont back down from police but retmain polite if you are in the right.

5 Dont work in the bar or entertainment business; dont take business away from local Thais

6 Never react to a provication.

Great points. This sounds more like an excuse to search for visa violations or questionable sources of income. What happens if one lets them in, takes the form and never returns it? Do you think they'd actually follow up? Did the mention a penalty for not returning the form? I believe in compliance but this sounds quite odd. Why not also go to each Thai home and document who is living there to track possible victims or criminals? Once again the Burmese have been brought into the equation. Interesting.

Interesting thread. Funny that we have not had any "Thailand is great and if you don't like it, you can go home" type responses.

Anyway, I would not be bothered in the least if the police asked me for this information. As for standing on principle and tell ing them to <deleted> off, did anyone notice the recent Tak Bai court ruling? In the same vein, I doubt that the authorities would be very impressed with a foreign citizen quoting them their legal rights. But hey, I'm usually wrong so give it a try and let us knows how it goes :)

In six years I have been asked to show ID one time at a road block during New Years. No problems or a shake down for tea money, just a few laughs and I am on my way.

I do enjoy Thailand but I look in the mirror each day and I see the farang looking back at me. I am here at the pleasure of the Thai government and its people and that privledge can be revoked in a heart beat. No worries, I never bought anything here more expensive than my little Honda CZi Mini Beast :D so I can be outa here in a few hours with no regrets. I understand that some folks have put down more permanent roots and I can appreciate their anxiety, but our purchases here are voluntary. You pays your money and you takes your chances.

Now on the positive side, I seriously doubt that there is any official effort being made to gather data for the purposes of exploiting, abusing ordeporting foreigners. Yes, Immigration already has a lot of information on us but I doubt that there is much sharing of date between Thai government agencies. Its the same in the USA, most agencies jealously guard their turf and I doubt its any different here.

My hunch is that the Chiang Mai police kicked this around during a staff meeting (or the Top Dog decreed it himself) and decided that it was a good idea -or would appear as one- to be proactive and seen to be doing something to control crime. Time will tell and until then... Cheers and beers :D

Lance

Good attitude. Some excellent points.

Soon the Burmese will be blamed by the Thai's for putting Thailand at No.3 for gun related deaths in the world per capita, only behind Columbia and South Africa.....this despite the fact that most Burmese can't afford food let alone guns!

"I do enjoy Thailand but I look in the mirror each day and I see the farang looking back at me. I am here at the pleasure of the Thai government and its people and that privledge can be revoked in a heart beat. No worries, I never bought anything here more expensive than my little Honda CZi Mini Beast :) so I can be outa here in a few hours with no regrets. I understand that some folks have put down more permanent roots and I can appreciate their anxiety, but our purchases here are voluntary. You pays your money and you takes your chances."

Yes this is a very healthy attitude. Unfortunately very rare among westerners in Asia.

I'll give you the contrast. I lived in both HK & SG for more than 5 years each. Both are full of arrogant Brits who get their visas grandfathered in (HK), and treat the locals like absolute shit. Seen it countless times. Also have known more than a couple who've come to Thailand and thrown forth the same attitude only to have their noses literally broken on the floor.

Went to police station today... gave the pass port to copy and a couple of photos.

When they said they wanted my finger prints, I showed them again my tourist visa (2 month multi entry) "Í am tourist... I dont work here; am not marrired to a Thai; not retired here!!! Only criminal in New Zealand give fingerprint and I am not criminal there or here... so I dont do them now! OK?"

Cop grumbled a bit then said: ''OK, all finish, you go now'' :)

Went to police station today... gave the pass port to copy and a couple of photos.

When they said they wanted my finger prints, I showed them again my tourist visa (2 month multi entry) "Í am tourist... I dont work here; am not marrired to a Thai; not retired here!!! Only criminal in New Zealand give fingerprint and I am not criminal there or here... so I dont do them now! OK?"

Cop grumbled a bit then said: ''OK, all finish, you go now'' :D

Police State = ISOC/PAD :)

Cop grumbled a bit then said: ''OK, all finish, you go now'' :D

Police State = ISOC/PAD :)

You got it backwards, the police are behind their colonel T, and it was he who got the ball rolling by replacing the army with the police down south, stiffening immigration policy, denying all permanent residency permits the first two years he was in office, etc. The police want him back, and are taking their ire out on everyone now. :D

• 4 weeks later...

Fingerprints... as a point of reference, US Immigration (Homeland Security) began collecting electronic fingerprints (two fingers) several years ago for all foreign visitors above 14 years of age. About 18 months ago, Chicago O'Hare and a few other US airports started collecting ten fingerprints. I have very mixed feelings about the process. Personal privacy is extremely important, yet I guess it will keep out any known undesireables. The US policy also is an attempt to identify previous visa violators which may be part of the Thai motive.

Cop grumbled a bit then said: ''OK, all finish, you go now'' :)

For what reason did you do this?

I am afraid the officer is correct, things will get very bad for farang and thai alike as the global depression sets in.

He wants the photo and bodily dimensions for if a body turns up.

Lets hope kidnappings dont start. Quite popular in other 3rd world countries.

I wish we could legally carry a concealed pistol here.

I thought this was a bit OTT until I noticed your member  (if that's the correct word? - maybe it is) name , and your location. :)

I am afraid the officer is correct, things will get very bad for farang and thai alike as the global depression sets in.

He wants the photo and bodily dimensions for if a body turns up.

Lets hope kidnappings dont start. Quite popular in other 3rd world countries.

I wish we could legally carry a concealed pistol here.

I thought this was a bit OTT until I noticed your member (if that's the correct word? - maybe it is) name , and your location. :)

:D it took me a while

Could be worse, in the U.K. you are photographed an average of 37 times on your way to work. Over 5 million DNA samples are held by the police including a million of proven innocent people and 400,000 children, garbage is rifled through by the local government inspectors and helicopters hover above your house if you use a hosepipe in the summer, with a fine landing on your doorstep a few days later.....of course for foreigners that are there, this dosnt apply, only to the unfortunate indigenous population.....

Width of forehead, ......, size of nose, size of ears

Perhaps someone is setting up a motorcycle helmet shop and needs to know what to stock. :D

Actually I don't know how I would respond if they came to my door. There's a police booth at the entry to our moo bahn so easy for them to find me. From what my wife told me, seems everyone in the moo bahn already knows who I am - a bit disconcerting actually. :)

Everything westeners/aliens do is noted by almost all Thais. It's almost a fixation.

Keenly, the fascination with foreign devils and barbarian-types as always had a Pan-Asian fixation. The oddities are obvious.

This topic has reached it's expiry date having been taken off course with no common denominator anymore. If there is any "current" news in Chiang Mai of requiring information of foreigners to be on file then a new topic, without the "noise" can be started. I haven't been asked to supply any information myself.

//Closed//