Do You Have Freedom?

Neeranam

Are you free?  

95 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

As far as the driving, my wife has her own car and a driver's license. I would walk rather than have her drive. As far as the bank, she does her banking and I do mine. She pays all the utilities and does all the shopping. One of my happiest days was when she passed her test for her driver's license. I can come and go as I please. She has that same freedom.

I'll have to get my wife to do her driving test - that would give me a lot more freedom I think :o .

I gave my wife two lessons and quickly decided I didn't have the patience. Her nephew took over and after a couple of weeks, he took her for her driver's test. Yes, it makes everything go a LOT smoother.

ADDED- I insisted that she learn with a standard transmission.

Edited by Gary A

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am free, but apparently have different interests than you. I rarely went to Thai banks at all unless she needed to do an errand in one while we were out. My wife mostly drove in TH, and I drove in the US, to prevent either of us frequently switching between left-hand to right-hand drive. We went to Suan Phlu together every year, for the "Thai wife" extension process. She often went along for other non-essential trips like re-entry permits too, as we established a favorite lunch stop on the way home from there.

For the most part, I was exhausted whenever I got to TH, and she did most errands by herself on the way to or from work (same as when I was away), while I enjoyed our house like my private R&R. Then I turned around and headed back out on business trips, living out of hotels and such. Now I'm on my last few visits, working a new permanent job in the US while she finishes up her job and we arrange her immigration.

I'm too lazy to post again in your other thread, so I'll say I tried learning Thai for a while when we moved here, but eventually stopped bothering. She was already westernized and fluent in English when we met in the US, and I never had any immersion in Thai at home nor with work. After a while I realized I wouldn't be happy here long term, so I focused on my work and future career options to relocate again (to anywhere more western and less tropical), and eventually a new opportunity presented itself back where we started...

I'll have to get my wife to do her driving test - that would give me a lot more freedom I think :D .

Then buy her a 4WD pick up, as you drive a girls car, maybe she'll wanna drive a mans car. :o

Countless threads i catch you two bickering about something or other to do with the cars you drive. What's the history with you guys? Did one of you shag the other one's wife or something? :D

Personally I like being driven around, I get to see more of the countryside but I usually end up driving myself.

I had gout last year and wifey had to drive me Mae Sai immigration and even though I've driven that route fifty times I saw heaps of stuff I'd never noticed before.

One of the unforseen consequences of the 'jet age' is that it enables people that are ill-suited for international travel to easily fly to destinations that were once out of their reach.

These sorts of middle aged farangs, who still need to hold their mother's hand on a daytrip to Skegness, can be seen with monotonous regularity being coached through the most mundane of day to day tasks by their little brown surrogates. Ill-equiped to face the most basic of life's challenges in their home country, whilst in Thailand they lurch from bank to ATM, with the demeanor of confused buffaloes. :o

I'll have to get my wife to do her driving test - that would give me a lot more freedom I think :D .

Then buy her a 4WD pick up, as you drive a girls car, maybe she'll wanna drive a mans car. :D

Countless threads i catch you two bickering about something or other to do with the cars you drive. What's the history with you guys? Did one of you shag the other one's wife or something? :D

It's Neeranams hatred of anything with 4WD of anything with a high centre of gravity such as an SUV or top end Pick ups that provokes such banter, as for your comments about wives, I wouldn't think so.

My wife has taste. :o

Then buy her a 4WD pick up, as you drive a girls car, maybe she'll wanna drive a mans car. :D

It's Neeranams hatred of anything with 4WD of anything with a high centre of gravity such as an SUV or top end Pick ups that provokes such banter, as for your comments about wives, I wouldn't think so.

Your wife is a pretty lady, BUT, her taste is questionable. :D

Then buy her a 4WD pick up, as you drive a girls car, maybe she'll wanna drive a mans car. :o

I'm not into those 'country' girls. Maigo6 is jealous that I drive a Japanese sports car and his wife made him buy a big truck thing to drive localy and to hold large amounts of buffalo feed :D

Whilst in the main bank in town today, I had to wait 2 hours. I watched 8 "whities" walk in to do their banking. Every single one, however, needed their Thai partners to do the talking. I could understand if they were newcomers but some weren't.

I'd go crazy if I had to take my wife everywhere - to the bank/garage/barbers/immigration/restaurant etc.

My wife couldn't speak any English when we got married so there never was any need.

How about you?

I've also noticed this when I'm staying in Khon Kaen but not so much when I'm in Bangkok or Pattaya. I guess the KK girls know that there are a lot of other fish in the sea waiting to jump on there old mans hook so consequently they stick to them like glue.

...I never had to wait for 2 hours in my bank as one English speaking Thai always pulled me out of the que and dealt with me and I was out in a couple of minutes...

Quite embarrassing for me was the time when the too helpful lady (who I've seen for the last 5 years because she speaks English) made me sit down in front of her desk, thereby jumping the queue. I don't know if she realised it, but a Thai man waiting to be served got quite upset and came and sat next to me and slammed his papers down. I let him get served first. :o

But then, she wanted to email me a copy of a document - foreign exchange transfer record - rather than photocopying it, so I was asked to sit next to her at another desk and use the computer there to access my email to check that it had arrived OK. It took another couple of staff to get the WWW access working and I felt I was monopolising too many resources for my small request. And all the time I had a row of Thais facing me wondering what the h3ll I was doing behind the desk. :D

Next time I'll insist on the photocopy. :D

Sounds like the guys that have their gf do all the driving in the new VIGO. These guys are late 50's early 60's been driving in their country for 40 yrs. and let the gf drive with no experience other than a small mc. Need a 2nd mother. Not to slag the Brits but most are.

Not to slag off people who can't put a sentence together but they are usually not speakers of English.

I'm in my early 60's and I drive the car, my wife doesn't. I drive from Bangkok to Chiang Rai only stop to take diesel and have some small lunch.

Making trips of more than 700-800k in one day is not exceptional at all for me. Every time my wife noticed I start to be restless, she tell its time you make trip somewhere and enjoy yourself for a week. While I'm away she visit the children or her sister who live not so far away. Its her relaxing time also, not have somebody hanging around all day. She only ask to phone her once in a while to see if I'm still OK and have no accident. When I come back home she just ask me "did you enjoy yourself"

My answer is always the same " not too bad, next time we go together".

You young lads of have no clue how active old geezers of 60 and even 70 still are. Maybe its because a kind of "joie de vivre" that you youngsters still have to learn.

Like 'PeaceBlondie' said...." We are partners, not a conjoined twin."... :o

Heartfully agree. :D

Being growing up in all girls boarding school for 12 years ( from pratom 1 through muttayom 8, that was they called those days). I long for having my privacy and I always treasure freedom.

With that I carry into my marriage life.

When our Thai elder relatives came to visit and staying with us in our home, they were appalled at how we live our lifestyle: his and her bedrooms, his and her cars, hubby and me just do things separate way, we both usually just take off without dragging another one along. We can come and go anytime as we please. We only do things together on entertaining guests or relatives at holidays time. Other than that we enjoy our freedom immensely since we pursue different interests.

Quite content with my life. :D

Neeranam has a general hatred/nastiness about most things, I strongly suspect this is reserved just for the forum, as I can't imagine anyone being like that in 'real life' and having any friends. Best to just ignore.

As for the topic matter, well each to their own.. some people are out of their comfort zone when dealing with matters that require them to do something a little bit 'foreign' to them. Not everyone can be adventurous independent go getters.. doesn't affect my life so I couldn't care.

As for me, I am quite capable of carrying out most tasks by myself, bit more often than not my wife accompanies me, simply because we like spending time together

Totster :D

...I never had to wait for 2 hours in my bank as one English speaking Thai always pulled me out of the que and dealt with me and I was out in a couple of minutes...

Quite embarrassing for me was the time when the too helpful lady (who I've seen for the last 5 years because she speaks English) made me sit down in front of her desk, thereby jumping the queue. I don't know if she realised it, but a Thai man waiting to be served got quite upset and came and sat next to me and slammed his papers down. I let him get served first. :o

But then, she wanted to email me a copy of a document - foreign exchange transfer record - rather than photocopying it, so I was asked to sit next to her at another desk and use the computer there to access my email to check that it had arrived OK. It took another couple of staff to get the WWW access working and I felt I was monopolising too many resources for my small request. And all the time I had a row of Thais facing me wondering what the h3ll I was doing behind the desk. :D

Next time I'll insist on the photocopy. :D

At what point in your life did you lose your perception of WHEN YOU ARE SERIOUSLY BEING HIT ON BY A WOMAN?

When my wife and I lived in the USA for 8 plus years I took care of all of the bills, auto insurance/maintenance/ inspection and the like just because it was easier for me to get in a pissing contest if the need arose. Here in Thailand my wife takes care of all of those things because it is easier for her than it is for me. I'm fortunate in the respect that my wife speaks fluent English (I wouldn't have it any other way, that is to have a common language so there is no misunderstanding) but she is quite efficient in getting everything done in a timely and proper manner. As far as being able to do as I please sure with in reason if I want to go out any time of day or night for what ever reason there is no problem why should there be, my wife trusts me and I trust her.

As far as the driving, my wife has her own car and a driver's license. I would walk rather than have her drive. As far as the bank, she does her banking and I do mine. She pays all the utilities and does all the shopping. One of my happiest days was when she passed her test for her driver's license. I can come and go as I please. She has that same freedom.

I'll have to get my wife to do her driving test - that would give me a lot more freedom I think :o .

Aha! Now we have the crux of the matter. Our worthy OP is actually one of those heavily apron-stringed elderly Khon Kaen farang residents, publicly joined-at-the-hip with his tilac and is just fishing to see if he actually looks as pathetic to others as he feels to himself.

Come up to Udon mate, your types are most welcome here and you will blend right in.

Whilst in the main bank in town today, I had to wait 2 hours. I watched 8 "whities" walk in to do their banking. Every single one, however, needed their Thai partners to do the talking. I could understand if they were newcomers but some weren't.

I'd go crazy if I had to take my wife everywhere - to the bank/garage/barbers/immigration/restaurant etc.

My wife couldn't speak any English when we got married so there never was any need.

How about you?

Maybe if you had dragged your better half along, you could have been in-and-out of the bank just as fast as those eight other "whities" you so despise.

Just a thought.

It's Neeranams hatred of anything with 4WD of anything with a high centre of gravity such as an SUV or top end Pick ups that provokes such banter

Yeah, I've noticed that, bit of an insecurity problem. Sort of like using the baby's bath water to wash the clothes with after, or is that a sweaty sock thing :D

Anyway, what a <deleted> thread. Who really cares if people need their other half with them everywhere. Personally, I've always been independent but don't have a problem with those who aren't.

Neeranam has a general hatred/nastiness about most things, I strongly suspect this is reserved just for the forum, as I can't imagine anyone being like that in 'real life' and having any friends. Best to just ignore.

what rubbish, couldn't be farther from the truth

?? someone got out the wrong side of bed today

Totster, you were't that English guy in the bank the other day were you? I did suspect. :o

Edited by Neeranam

Anyway, what a <deleted> thread. Who really cares if people need their other half with them everywhere. Personally, I've always been independent but don't have a problem with those who aren't.

well stay out it then

I couldn't stand it if my other half tagged along everywhere I went. We usually run our own errands and I like it that way. She's happy wandering around the market for 3 hours, whereas I like to go, knowing what I want, buy it and go home.

I hereby join the chorus of henryalterman, guesthouse, and Al. I have the freedom to jump on my bike and go where I want. I used to go to the bank for all the transactions, shop, pay the bills at 7-11, etc. But the partner now makes the ATM withdrawals, pays utility bills, registers the vehicles, buys the groceries, cooks non-spicy food for me, sweeps the house, takes care of laundry, etc. I decide who I vote for, where to go to church, how to solve the financial condom - I mean conundrum, Nepalese politics, the price of coffee in Mexico - the really important stuff. We often go to parties together, but not always. We are partners, not conjoined twins.

You must be the breadwinner and your husband is getting a free ride. :o

Like 'PeaceBlondie' said...." We are partners, not a conjoined twin."... :o

Heartfully agree. :D

Being growing up in all girls boarding school for 12 years ( from pratom 1 through muttayom 8, that was they called those days). I long for having my privacy and I always treasure freedom.

With that I carry into my marriage life.

When our Thai elder relatives came to visit and staying with us in our home, they were appalled at how we live our lifestyle: his and her bedrooms, his and her cars, hubby and me just do things separate way, we both usually just take off without dragging another one along. We can come and go anytime as we please. We only do things together on entertaining guests or relatives at holidays time. Other than that we enjoy our freedom immensely since we pursue different interests.

Quite content with my life. :D

So are may wife and me, I can not imaging any other way, It worked well for us the last 33 years. The first thing my wife said to me was, you are not my father and I'm not your mother.

BTW I dislike those obedient and docile wives, who are more a house maid than a partner, I prefer the spunky and independent ones who can make up their own mind and stand up for their idea's.

How about you?

Newbies and guys putting money into the partners account - or transferring back home to care for the sick buffalo.... or , ...... or ....... could be a million and one reasons why but an inability to communicate in Thai would be a pretty consistant link between them all I would have thought.

How about you?

Newbies and guys putting money into the partners account - or transferring back home to care for the sick buffalo.... or , ...... or ....... could be a million and one reasons why but an inability to communicate in Thai would be a pretty consistant link between them all I would have thought.

Thai partners putting money into Farang accounts - or transferring to the parents of the Farangs to care for the sick cows.... or , ...... or ....... could be a million and one reasons why...

Why is it that on internet forums people assume so much ?

We have guys on here that are willing to judge a Thai women by the colour of her skin, if she's white shes good, if she isn't she isn't.

Do they guage their own miserable lives and come to the conclusion that 9/10 other guys must live the same sorry lives?

Neeranam, I can't afford a Japanese sports Car, thats why i don't have one.

To the guys that continually bleat on about sick buffalo, you know what, in 18 years + in Thailand I have never come across this, so what am I missing ?

Maybe I'm young and good looking and don't have the same relationships you guys have, and to others maybe I'm a guy on a retirement Visa that has a few quid and that pizzes you off, but whatever your grievances are, for christs sake keep it real.

What the F%^$ does it matter to you what I or anybody else does ?

Before judging others, take a good look at yourselves.

Yes the internet is a place to lay down a few whines and a few moans, but many of you guys abuse the privilage.

:o

Edited by Maigo6

Why is it that on internet forums people assume so much ?

We have guys on here that are willing to judge a Thai women by the colour of her skin, if she's white shes good, if she isn't she isn't.

Do they guage their own miserable lives and come to the conclusion that 9/10 other guys must live the same sorry lives?

Neeranam, I can't afford a Japanese sports Car, thats why i don't have one.

To the guys that continually bleat on about sick buffalo, you know what, in 18 years + in Thailand I have never come across this, so what am I missing ?

Maybe I'm young and good looking and don't have the same relationships you guys have, and to others maybe I'm a guy on a retirement Visa that has a few quid and that pizzes you off, but whatever your grievances are, for christs sake keep it real.

What the F%^$ does it matter to you what I or anybody else does ?

Before judging others, take a good look at yourselves.

Yes the internet is a place to lay down a few whines and a few moans, but many of you guys abuse the privilage.

:o

A totally counterproductive posting.