Styrofoam Cooler Box - In Car Trunk

It's not unusual to find a styrofoam box in a person's car, to be used for long trips and to keep ice cold beer (yum!), etc.

However, isn't styrofoam supposed to be very flammable?

Moreover, in the upper part of your car trunk would be your car stereo's speaker wires and speakers.

If your car speakers/wires in the trunk were to "spark" for any reason (is that possible?), wouldn't the sparks fall to the styrofoam box, and easily/instantly ignite it thereby causing a dangerous fire?

Maybe our forum's electrical dudes like Crossy and others can give their opinions? :o

Edited by junkofdavid2

I think you'd have to be having the grand daddy of all bad days for an electrical fault of sufficient power to occur in the trunk and set fire to your styrofoam box. Theoretically possible of course but in probability terms up there with being struck by lightning. I guess a lot would depend on who done the wiring in the first place.

I really think you have too much free time on your hands to be worrying about something like this.

Those coolers are not highly inflammable anyway, it would take a lot more than a few sparks to light one. Seconded by the fact they are normally full of water and ice.

I really think you have too much free time on your hands to be worrying about something like this.

Those coolers are not highly inflammable anyway, it would take a lot more than a few sparks to light one. Seconded by the fact they are normally full of water and ice.

Or in the case of Aussies ice and beer.

It's not unusual to find a styrofoam box in a person's car, to be used for long trips and to keep ice cold beer (yum!), etc.

wouldn't the sparks fall to the styrofoam box, and easily/instantly ignite it thereby causing a dangerous fire?

Maybe that's what they mean with "to keep the contents cold or HOT" :o

But hang about a minute! Aren't there 12volt wires and connectors running close to the petrol tank and in the engine compartment where the petrol goes into the engine?

> I think it melted, evaporated, sublimed, or disappeared. Neither flammable nor inflammable.

Polystyrene is classified according to DIN4102 as a "B3" product, meaning highly flammable or "easily ignited." Source:Wikipedia

If you set light to expanded polystyrene (such as one of the cool boxes sold in Thailand) you will see it burns with a yellow/orange flame and gives of black carbon soot. Although an unlikely fire hazard if left in the car's truck alone, it will burn if encouraged.

In fact if you mix broken lumps of polystyrene with gasoline you will see that they dissolve - making a poor man's napalm (improved result if you add some benzene :o ).

The biggest problem the average person encounters with expanded polystyrene is the interaction encountered when electric cables (either for carrying power or those used for in car speakers for example) come into direct contect with polystryrene, this normally occurs when cables are shipped with polystryrene chips to prevent damage in transit. The polystyrene leeches chemicals (my chemistry classes were long ago - I forget the exact process) from the cables - resulting in brittle points or sections within the cable's outer layer.

Another good reason to encompass the expanded polystryrene cool box in duct tape or similar. Not sure if there is a reaction between the tape's adhesive and the EPS, but that does seem to be the popular local method to lengthen their working lives.

HTH

I have thrown bits of styrofoam into an open fire. I think it melted, evaporated, sublimed, or disappeared. Neither flammable nor inflammable.

But now you have a nasty hacking chesty cough that you can't get rid of right? :o

I think you'll find the most dangerous component in a motor car is most often the loose nut behind the wheel. :D

I think that the most dangerous component in a car is often the driver. :o

Same same :D

Wooosh.

That one went right over my head eh!