Simons For Sale?

Lost in LOS

got this from another site. Add for sale.

This one maybe Simons ?

Located close to Jomtien Beach, in Pattaya, this Traditional British Fish and Chip Shop can seat 34 customers, but benefits from extensive takeaway trade. The shop sits on the ground floor of a four storey building with 130 square metres of floor space, with the top three storeys currently unutilised. Around 1,800,000 baht was spent on assets and leasehold improvements when the shop was opened almost three years ago, and the kitchen is fitted with good quality stainless steel equipment. The owner, who is a member of the National Federation of Fish Friers in the United Kingdom, will provide training, and is prepared to listen to every serious offer. In the last financial year the shop saw receipts of approximately 4,500,000 baht yield net profits of roughly 2,000,000 baht after the deduction of all expenses, and cash flow continues to rise. The major overheads, after food and beverage costs, are monthly rent of 18,900 baht, and monthly salaries totalling 30,000 baht for four full time employees. Asking price: 3,900,000 baht.

This is a great opportunity for Jinthing to take over or at least be able to go again :o

The owner, who is a member of the National Federation of Fish Friers in the United Kingdom, will provide training,

I don't beleive that for a single second, the crap he was serving up I doubt if he had fried a fish in his life before coming to Thailand. He did admit on one Pattaya website that his job in the UK was something to do with Airlines or airports, from memory in a customer service role. Anyway if someone does buy it, I hope they decline the offer of training :o

If it should remain a fish & chip shop I hope the new owners know how to MAKE fish and chips as the present incumbents are clueless, probably why its up for sale.

I can still see the oily batter and cold, soggy chips. Yuk.

Asking price: 3,900,000 baht.

With coupon, 39,000 baht?

This is Simon's place for certain.

How did they last three years, that is the question? I am sure the free publicity I gave them was good for two of those three years, two years of painful decline that is.

Hopefully the next tenant will be someplace I both WANT TO go to and CAN go to. Next ... !!!

Good things come to those who wait.

A good chippie would be nice but what Jomtien (and Pattaya) REALLY needs is a good California style burrito/taqueria joint similar to Sunrise in Bangkok. There is a newish Mexican place in Jomtien but sorry it does not rate (I wish it did).

Moral to merchants. HONOR YOUR DISCOUNT COUPONS!

post-37101-1237304414_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jingthing

Simon's has been on the market for at least six months. I don't know what his plans are after he sells it, as I stopped going there last year, got fed up of his undercooked chips, and cod with the texture of a doormat.

I am sure the books are 100 percent accurate.

The fact that the place is usually empty is purely situational. :o

I agree I never see many customers when I pass. On the other hand, 4,500,000 THB/annum gross only equates to filling each of his seats once/day (I think) which even Simon's might achieve. Presumably those will be the numbers he paid tax on :D

If someone could actually put things right it could be a very good business opportunity at <4m THB(3 year lease?) and 3 floors unutilised? There's certainly scope for improvement but that would have to include dropping the prices in favour of more bums on seats. Despite everything that's been said here, it does somehow seem to have a good reputation with a lot of visitors and has been well "sold" in tourist guides etc.as the best fish and chips in Pattaya/Jomtiem regardless.

Perhaps at least a better bet than a beer bar for someone.

why do we always call it fish and chips, cant it be chips and fish? :D

neverdie, go and wash your mouth out !

This is a British traditional food that will ALWAYS be FISH & CHIPS.

post-62645-1237417744.jpg

I guess coming from your crappy part of the world you would proudly walk around displaying pictures of such crappy food.... :o

In far North Queensland we prefer our 'barra' cooked this way

barrai.th.jpg

but hey someones gotta eat the crappy fish, shark & other &lt;deleted&gt; out of the ocean.....bon appetite :D

Sounds like he has been cooking the books with those financial figures :D . but seriously i was there with my family last week and to be fair it was ok although as another poster noted the chips were undercooked slightly,.i think hes just had enough and hasnt taken well to constructive criticism,there are signs all over the walls justifying the prices etc,..a bit of a depressed basil fawlty id say,. :o

When I saw the tile of this thread I thought it was Simon's Cabaret. I thought Jing was going to do a turn on stage :o

Not Simon's but on my first trip to Pattaya over ten years ago I was called onto the stage of the Alkazar!

there are signs all over the walls justifying the prices

That is truly a pathetic gesture.

Edited by Jingthing

why do we always call it fish and chips, cant it be chips and fish? :o

Careful with insulting the English national dish or you mightget a BATTERING :D

Take the piss and pass the vinegar!

You don't have to be British to love fish & chips ...

Edited by Jingthing

I guess coming from your crappy part of the world you would proudly walk around displaying pictures of such crappy food.... :o

barrai.th.jpg

but hey someones gotta eat the crappy fish, shark & other &lt;deleted&gt; out of the ocean.....bon appetite :D

Hi neverdie I could't agree with you more :D:D:wai: this is sirious food

barrai.th.jpg

Hi neverdie I could't agree with you more :D:wai::P this is sirious food

I would give a XXXX for that :D

Some of the best fish and chips in Thailand, I've had at this place. Unfortunately, the worst fish and chips in Thailand I've also had at this place. Their English breakfast isn't bad though.

They are usually fairly busy in the daytimes that I've been there. Given the pricing, the numbers don't seem to be too far off...

^Seriously I love a good piece of fish but this crap battered & drowned in oil and served with soggy chips YUKK, Get serious. Some of my days in the far north we would battle the crocs all day to drag a couple of decent barra out of the river, then cook them within hours over hot coals using all sorts of herbs and spices OR PERHAPS none at all & nothing comes second to that, not even the best english crap fish and chips :o ...or should i say shark and chips.

Having said that crappy fish n chips was possible one of the better things to come out of the uk in recent times :D

^Seriously I love a good piece of fish but this crap battered & drowned in oil and served with soggy chips YUKK, Get serious..........Having said that crappy fish n chips was possible one of the better things to come out of the uk in recent times :D

Now what was the name of that bar on the Perth quayside offering the "best fish & chips in Australia" at £9 (no mushy peas) and same same another one in Freemantle? - methinks you speak jibberlish sir :o

• 2 weeks later...

The best Fish & Chips I have had in Jomtien is at Maggie Mays on Soi Watboon. 190 baht for a Very Large fish, or 110 baht for a smaller one.

No connection with the bar, apart from being a customer, but the food is good.

Chris

There's only one way to serve fish and chips...the right way!

People who portray themselves as some sort of expert chippy, but fail to deliver the goods should be dragged into the street and flogged! Unless they enjoy that sort of thing, then they should be dragged into the street and........sh1t, I don't know! :o How about made to eat there own sh1t!

I am really passionate about my take away tucker! :D

The best Fish & Chips I have had in Jomtien is at Maggie Mays on Soi Watboon. 190 baht for a Very Large fish, or 110 baht for a smaller one.

No connection with the bar, apart from being a customer, but the food is good.

Chris

I stopped by to try the fish & chips last month. Not bad, but the fish is not cod, it's some locally-caught fish, I believe.

Also, was there around noon with a friend, and we both decided to sit outdoors to eat as the enclosed indoors area smelt like an ashtray. I didn't see anybody smoking at the time, but it seemed that smoking is permitted there.

Most businesses put up loony prices and if you ask the agents then they say that they just put up anything the owner says. As per the MD of Sunbelt Asia when I asked him how you could have sales of 4m, costs of 3m and make 2m profit ? Clueless.

Selling 4.5m is about 13,000 a day over 345 trading days a year or about 15,000 a day if open 300 days a year (approx 1 day closed a week).

Rent is 226k

Salaries are 360k

No mention of key money

Thus you have 4.5m-600k-COGS and utilities=2m. &lt;deleted&gt;.

The 1.8m spent is just another mickey mouse number. Where is the owner's salary ? where is his missus' salary, where is depreciation, insurance, bills, advertising ?

Even on 4.5m I doubt it makes 1.5 and nearer 1m. Worth about 1-1.5m if the lease is good.

Also, you cannot get 4 quality staff for 30k so you can add in another 30k a month at least for proper service and decent cooks.

If he makes crap fish and chips then he probably is in this Fish friers institute thingy as pretty much all fish and chip shops in England offer vile greasy chips and that thick disgusting batter that ruins the taste of the fish.

Best fish and chips ive ever had was in the main bar past the market and by the river in Phnom Penh, i forget the name.

Edited by sanmiguel

"Most businesses put up loony prices ..."

Not oly businisses..there is a price of FOURTEEN POINT SEVEN MILLION baht on 3 terraces, adjoining the end of an appallng row of slums, on the road to Phoenix Golf Course.

Sorry can't comment on the food, I never eat out..something to do with the provenance of the ingredients and hygiene.

why do we always call it fish and chips, cant it be chips and fish? :o

Careful with insulting the English national dish or you mightget a BATTERING :D

You must mean curry and chips then - no fish left around the British Isles, the Spanish have fished the area to extinction.

Most businesses put up loony prices and if you ask the agents then they say that they just put up anything the owner says. As per the MD of Sunbelt Asia when I asked him how you could have sales of 4m, costs of 3m and make 2m profit ? Clueless.

I actually sent the same type of question to one of the agents. The numbers did not add up as above with Gross revenue - expenses given NOT equaling the annual profit number. You know what the answer was??? No reply. :o

Maybe the agents take a hands off approach as they do not want to be liable(?) for the numbers given. But they should at least give the books a once over to ensure that the numbers given do true up.

TheWalkingMan