Burgalars And House Breakers

GuestHouse

Burglary in Thailand  

68 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Since arriving back in Thailand my wife and I have been told time and time again that Burglaries (house breakins) have become something of a plague - numerous friends have reported their own experiences - But is Burglary such a problem in Thailand these days?

---

Let's see if we can keep this Thailand without wandering off into a discussion about everywhere else on the planet.

Edited by GuestHouse

There are indeed some bad boys running around the land of smiles, in need of money to support their Ya Baa habit, most of our homes are easy targets, some people have turn to guard dogs, windows bars, among other things, all of which have an up and down side. I would suggest don't keep anything of great value in the home i.e., cash(bt10000 and up) Gold Chain/Necklace, if you must do not display it. Case in point the lady four houses from us HAD a ten baht gold chain she always wore, she were spotted by three ya baa heads at a nearby Wat follow home and rob of not only the 10 baht chain but about Bt150,000 in cash plus other valuables. :o:D

First house I rented was broken into one night but as luck would have it I quit the bar early and interrupted them and, fortunately for me, they fled. But that was a rented house with next to no security (back yard was open and nicely secluded especially at night).

The house I had was like a <deleted>' fortress, cage over the back yard and strong steel grillage over the windows. But that was the doing of the missus and for good reason as, at that time, it was just empty scrubland behind. But ultimately they could have used the rear yard cage to climb onto the roof and get in that way. If burblar Bill is determined enough he will get in but we have to make his life as difficult as possible.

So once is my answer but a few colleagues also got done, but I'm talking 1992-2004, apparently things have got worse.

I guess if you want a definitive impression just go look at the security arrangements around the average house. People don't spend that kind of money unnecessarily.

Never.

While living in Koh Phangan (5 years), I was renting from the Phu Yai Baan: no problem!

Now, back to Bangkok, I am living in a Moo Baan (gated community). Sounds weird for some people, but it is the only way to have peace of life in a clean, secure and nice surrounding. Also, nice neighbors with the same social and educational background.

Actually once, we organized a party and I noticed that one pen (Montblanc) disappeared. We found it later on in the pocket of one of our farang guest...

I used to share a house behind Central Silom, great place 4 beds, reception room, carport for two cars, all for the princely sum of 25,000 split three ways!

However this was a house in a public soi, we were broken into 4 times in one year. This was despite installing alarms (the type which call through to a central monitoring station) and motion sensitive security lights after the first event. Police reports were made... but .. well you can guess the rest...

However, I have never had a problem whilst living in a condominium, or since moving to a house in a gated community. I honestly believe the difference is made by security guards. Not that they do much per se, but so long as they patrol, take names, and id cards, they can serve as a good deterrent.

Edited by quiksilva

From my own experience, I don't worry much about being burglarized, rather I worry about people being a sneak thief when coming around our house. Prying eyes can cataloger everything in a house very easily. They take a portion of what you have , and seem to think you will not miss it. It is like adding insult to injury, very hard to deal with. Makes me sad to think people you know will do that, but it is a fact. The bad part of it , it makes you distrust people unjustly, that is why I really hate sneaks.

Warnings are something I get a lot of to take care of my property as I am told theft is on the increase.

No problems here for me personally with the house but as I have said previously the ex had a satellite dish stolen from her roof recently. Two of her dogs have died in suspicious circumstances the last 3 months or so - believed poisoned. The mother had her engineer husband fit a special lock to the car. All the m/c are now kept inside the house due to several recent thefts of those also.

I have had property taken from the car when left with mechanics. Nothing ever done about it. Apparently too many people had access to the car!

I used to share a house behind Central Silom, great place 4 beds, reception room, carport for two cars, all for the princely sum of 25,000 split three ways!

However this was a house in a public soi, we were broken into 4 times in one year. This was despite installing alarms (the type which call through to a central monitoring station) and motion sensitive security lights after the first event. Police reports were made... but .. well you can guess the rest...

However, I have never had a problem whilst living in a condominium, or since moving to a house in a gated community. I honestly believe the difference is made by security guards. Not that they do much per se, but so long as they patrol, take names, and id cards, they can serve as a good deterrent.

We live in remote but gated community in Chiang Mai. Last year, there were 3 or 4 break-ins perpetuated by two sets of burglars. The first burglary was at an upscale home owned by a Japanese ex-pat and his Thai wife. The rear of the home is situated on a small man-made lake and there is no rear security wall. The perps arrived by wading to the rear of the home at something like 3 AM, broke into a room that is a separate wing of the home, also immediately adjacent to the lake, and stole a large flat panel TV. They literally floated it off by also stealing seat cushions from a couch located in the same room! In this instance, there was no apparent security barriers that the crooks were required to overcome and it was simply a matter of being stealthy. I do not know the eventual outcome of the case and if the goods were ever recovered.

In the other, more bizarre episodes, a perp broke in 2 or 3 homes and actually climbed in bed with a Farang's wife and attempted to rape her. The Farang apparently had a night job and was gone. The lady screamed and threw the man off of her and he fled. The same perp also broke into a nearby Thai neighbor's home and tried to rape the owner's daughter, who maintains a bedroom in a rear wing of the home. She screamed and scared him off. as well. The same perp tried it again another night, but the owner heard the break-in and fired warning shots; the fellow was able to flee. The curious part of these latter incidents was that the perp was none other than a 20-year old security guard employed by the moobaan to protect its inhabitants and their property! He had been casing various targets for months, building up a testosterone-fired need in a young man with no morals and no regard for consequences. He was later identified and caught, but I believe he was simply allowed to walk away free by the BiB, albeit no longer an employee of the security force.

We had a 'town hall' meeting of most residents after these incidents; management reluctantly agreed to setting up night-time security roadblocks at two key road intersections inside the moobaan, in addition to the already-manned main gate. We discovered that there were roughly 30 guards in employ, but that they were not unified into a single force. They were being separately managed by three different entities. The question then became: "who is watching the watchers?"

Some jittery residents have added expensive electronic surveillance systems, perimeter security/privacy walls, and perhaps their own private night-time guard. I am beginning to think that the best solution is probably a couple of dogs plus turning on a bunch of lights outside. The idea is making it unattractive to a would-be perp so he travels on to someone else's home.

The moral of this story: If you give a man a gun, you'd better watch him!

I am convinced that detached houses are the target-of-choice for burglars and robbers. My experience in well-managed condos has been trouble free and I know of no break-ins in the buildings I've lived in. I would not choose to live in a house unless there was someone at home watching all the time and a few good guard dogs. My Thai in-laws live in both Bangkok and some rural areas as well and they are always vigilant, especially making sure someone is always in the house every day around the clock.

My home is real safe i got iron everywhere and i got 2 dogs that scare the shit out of most Thais (just because they are Bangkaew). I make it a point to show the neigbourhood my dogs are good dogs and not dangerous but they keep saying all bangkaew are bad (i was tempted a few times to say are all thai girls bad too then ?)

Anyway there are no windoes they could come through easy because of steel bars, and its a gated community with a security force (not the best one i must admit). My neighbours are middle class Thais (not hi so) and its a bit out of the way its in BKK. Breakins do occur in our village however.

An added option in the poll for attempted break-ins would have been good.

In the past 12 months we’ve had a walk in daytime sneak theft, an attempt to break in through the roof in the middle of the night and another try to remove the security grills at sunset. All while people were in the shophouses.

We’ve been lucky. In the same period, the neighbours either side of us have been burgled, one of them twice.

The solution (which works for me), is to look and actually be as poor as a church mouse...

I leave the gates wide open all night and never had a problem cos there is b*gger all to steal....

The rottweiler dog also helps a bit :o

Simon

my experiences.

High end condo on BTS line. lots of posters/warning signs about thefts from rooms.

Normal condo in Thai area. Personally never a problem

Living in a soi normal house = DVD player stolen overnight . doors not locked overnight - was sleeping at time

Friend living in a soi = some weird/not socially aware Thai bloke trying to break in - told to <deleted> off and did....

did lose some money last week from wallet - returned to store and the shop keeper happily said no he had not seen any extra money--- oh well..

I guess most robberies from condos are from known/related people to the place = security / visitors / friends

Keep doors locked and door chains on and be paranoid like in the West..... should keep you safe tonight...

I live on the outskirts of Bangkok (Samrong Nua - belongs to Samut Prakarn) in a large Condo. I never heard much about burglary here however 2 weeks ago someone broke into the room whilst I was sleeping Yes I and my friend were sleeping in the room. The walked passed the bed which is literally 2 cm next to the door (It is a small room and a large bed) walked to the desk took my iPhone , my Chanel ceramic watch, a cheap watch from the night market, my friends wallet with just under 10,000 THB and his watch. Fortunately they left my camera and the 2 laptop computers. They didn't search through any drawers or cupboards. Just scary that they are so cheeky to do it while you are in the room.

Only 2 months ago in Chinatown I had my wallet pick-pocketed, all my credit cards and driving license stolen. It is making me feel unsafe in Thailand these days.

I've had 2 x MP3 players, 1 x mobile phone, 1 x GPS, stolen.

Wifes sister had her phone stolen,

Daughter had her phone stolen.

All by my wifes 15yr old son!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He was able to do it all, without breaking in.

My home is real safe i got iron everywhere and i got 2 dogs that scare the shit out of most Thais (just because they are Bangkaew). I make it a point to show the neigbourhood my dogs are good dogs and not dangerous but they keep saying all bangkaew are bad (i was tempted a few times to say are all thai girls bad too then ?)

Anyway there are no windoes they could come through easy because of steel bars, and its a gated community with a security force (not the best one i must admit). My neighbours are middle class Thais (not hi so) and its a bit out of the way its in BKK. Breakins do occur in our village however.

Thats what burgerlars go for,middle class thais and farangs.Do you think they go for poor thais????

just had a steal door put on at the front of the house to protect the wooden door,which has glass in it.My house is totaly secure now and with my sword,baseball bat and stun gun i feel very safe.

Even my 4 cats run to the window or door if anybody is walking by,or the bins are being emptied.

just had a steal door put on at the front of the house to protect the wooden door,which has glass in it.My house is totaly secure now and with my sword,baseball bat and stun gun i feel very safe.

Even my 4 cats run to the window or door if anybody is walking by,or the bins are being emptied.

as the name says... this will be the first item they steal :o

Never, but they are getting slightly more creative (which basically means they are copying scams they were doing in America years and sometimes decades ago).

Hearing more and more about sketchy calls trying to suss out the number of folks in a household and income levels, pretending to be ABAC poll, A.C. Nielsen, etc. All semi-professional sounding, along the lines of the scams that you see on the news of gangs pretending to be the tax revenue department but tricking idiots into transferring cash to them via atm.

:o

Thats what burgerlars go for,middle class thais and farangs.Do you think they go for poor thais????

I thought id mention it because most Thai visa members seem to live in HISO area's and i thought buglars would target those more as there is more money to make. Ok tougher security but who knows.

The rottweiler dog also helps a bit :D

Simon

I can't remember if I read or heard it but a guy was saying "I don't have much trouble with tresspassers since I got me a couple of them long nosed, short legged, long tail terriers. They don't make a lot of noise but people seem wary of them. I think some folks call them alligators". :o

No house burglaries in some 15+ years. Have had a pda stolen in a coffee shop once, and a shove/unsuccessful attempted grab for my handbag on the BTS stairs, but that's the limit of any problems I've had here. Feel pretty lucky in this area.