Ed Visa 9 Mths Or 1 Yr?

Just a question, let's say i sign up for an 180 hour (1 year Ed visa) to learn Thai, and i study 6 hours a week.

After 7.5 months, i will complete the 180 hours.

In the 9th month, will i be really be given documents by the school for an extension, since i am no longer studying at the school?

Or will i be left stranded & be forced to leave Thailand for a tourist visa instead??

Just a question, let's say i sign up for an 180 hour (1 year Ed visa) to learn Thai, and i study 6 hours a week.

In the 9th month, will i be really be given documents by the school for an extension, since i am no longer studying at the school?

Or will i be left stranded & be forced to leave Thailand for a tourist visa instead??

Where are you going to take classes? Most Thai schools offer 4 hours a week with a variety of schedules. This would put you around 45 weeks to complete the course. You also have to allow for school holidays, whether they observe international holidays. thai holidays are always observed. This would increase the number of weeks potentially that you wont have classes, thus increasing the length of classes by weeks. So, give or take a few weeks in case of this. I know of 3 schools in Bangkok that have it set for 4 hours a week. This is the minimum to obtain the 1-year ED Visa. Even if you finish the course early or late, you will still have your ED Visa and they will give you the paperwork every 90 days to submit. Just be sure to check with the particular school, whether they submit the paperwork for you or if you have to submit it yourself.

Where are you going to take classes? Most Thai schools offer 4 hours a week with a variety of schedules. This would put you around 45 weeks to complete the course. You also have to allow for school holidays, whether they observe international holidays. thai holidays are always observed. This would increase the number of weeks potentially that you wont have classes, thus increasing the length of classes by weeks. So, give or take a few weeks in case of this. I know of 3 schools in Bangkok that have it set for 4 hours a week. This is the minimum to obtain the 1-year ED Visa. Even if you finish the course early or late, you will still have your ED Visa and they will give you the paperwork every 90 days to submit. Just be sure to check with the particular school, whether they submit the paperwork for you or if you have to submit it yourself.

Let's consider the site sponsors Walen & ProL first. Their websites states that "a letter allows you to make 90 day extensions at the local immigration office for the duration of the course", "The school will prepare all the documents from the Ministry of Education for the students to have the Visa issued from a Thai Embassy and to get it extended at the Immigration on Sathorn road in Bangkok ".

I understand the minimum schedule is 4 hours weekly (45 weeks), but let's say i choose to study 6 hours weekly (30 weeks/ 7.5 months).

So if i finish the course earlier before the 9th month, will the school REALLY provide documents for me to submit to Immigration for the final 3 mths extension, since i am no longer studying(finished studying) at the school? Or do i have to sign up & pay for another 180 hour course??

Any comments?

You can take breaks between courses to revise what you have learned. Also you can change your schedule as higher books are more difficult. I cannot comment on other schools but Walen school will take good care of their students. None of our students had a problem with extensions through our school. On a side note we already have found a place in Chaing Mai so in addition to Bangkok and Pattaya students will have also Chiang Mai as additional choice of location for their studies.

Walen, www.thaiwalen.com

You can take breaks between courses to revise what you have learned. Also you can change your schedule as higher books are more difficult. I cannot comment on other schools but Walen school will take good care of their students. None of our students had a problem with extensions through our school. On a side note we already have found a place in Chaing Mai so in addition to Bangkok and Pattaya students will have also Chiang Mai as additional choice of location for their studies.

Walen, www.thaiwalen.com

Sounds encouraging. Instead of the minimum 4 lessons a week, can an Ed Visa student enrol for the schedule of 6 or 9 lessons a week?

For the schedule of 9 lessons a week, the student will complete the 180 lessons in 20 weeks/5 months without taking any breaks or changing the schedule.

Will Walen sch still take care of the student's extension by providing a letter for the 90 day extensions in the 6th & 9th month when he/she is no longer studying(finished studying) at the school?

btw, can i ask when will your school in Chiang Mai be opened & the location, pls?

Thank you.

Nokia, I have a feeling that for a special situation like yours it would be better for you to make an individual arrangement with the school rather than ask the school to commit itself on a public forum.

--

Maestro

Nokia, I have a feeling that for a special situation like yours it would be better for you to make an individual arrangement with the school rather than ask the school to commit itself on a public forum.

--

Maestro

Thanks Maestro, i understand what u mean.

Just concerned whether a school will backtrack on "it's no problem" after you pay the fees.

After all, this is Thailand. :o

--

Maestro

Maestro, i think you are right.

Maybe it's not wise for me to ask such a question on a public forum.

Kindly remove this thread. Thank you.

No need to remove this thread, but while “this is Thailand” I happen to know that MacWalen school is managed by a European gentleman and their service is not TIT but of European quality. If you are in Bangkok, go for a free trial lesson and if you like it ask to speak to the farang boss (I don’t know his name but they will know to whom they need to refer you to)

--

Maestro