How Badly Don't You Want To Move Back To Your Home Country?

Jingthing

How badly don't you want to move back to your home country?  

317 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Many of us whinge about life in Thailand, but things are not so good all over, and I think most of us would rather stay here rather than move back to our home countries. How about it?

Some poll details:

-- non-expats not covered

-- people with unusual life histories, never lived in home country, having no nationality, having ten passports, extraterestial beings, etc. all not covered

-- I thought of adding the option "I am a wanted criminal in my home country" but thought the better of it because such people will tend to be paranoid, and with good reason

Edited by Jingthing

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Many of us whinge about life in Thailand, but things are not so good all over, and I think most of us would rather stay here rather than move back to our home countries. How about it?

I extremely want to move back. But it will take a long time before we can make the move unless i leave my family - which i won't.

Its a good and thought provoking post. Sometimes it depends on how much road rage, corruption rage, immigration rage, and cultural differences rage I'm having. Sometimes I miss a lot - services, tools, systems that all work. I miss beautiful countryside -there's not really that much here. I miss informed conversation, political awareness, and western music. I miss clean air. I could go on. But for all that, I'm never bored here, people are fascinating, Thais are a real challenge to understand, as they're so full of contradictions. There are regulations for everything, but no one takes any notice. I kind of like that.(when it suits me) As farlang we are always going to be expoited for our money and naivete - if we don't speak Thai. Do I want to go home? No - sometimes only to be closer to family. But they come here anyway. So the answer - only a bit (at present).

I extremely want to move back. But it will take a long time before we can make the move unless i leave my family - which i won't.

Its a good and thought provoking post. Sometimes it depends on how much road rage, corruption rage, immigration rage, and cultural differences rage I'm having. Sometimes I miss a lot - services, tools, systems that all work. I miss beautiful countryside -there's not really that much here. I miss informed conversation, political awareness, and western music. I miss clean air. I could go on. But for all that, I'm never bored here, people are fascinating, Thais are a real challenge to understand, as they're so full of contradictions. There are regulations for everything, but no one takes any notice. I kind of like that.(when it suits me) As farlang we are always going to be expoited for our money and naivete - if we don't speak Thai. Do I want to go home? No - sometimes only to be closer to family. But they come here anyway. So the answer - only a bit (at present).

Good post, pretty much sums up my thoughts and feelings. Might add that I also miss the history, cultural and old architecture side of things - I don't have any family ties to speak of back home but the desire to be there sometimes is quite strong. I'd move back there with Mrs CM but mostly I think that would be unfair on her by exposing her to a host of issues that have taken me a life time to understand.

So far I'm only expatriated as far as Munich, but having been out of the UK since 81 and having a Thai wife for 10 years with numerous trips to LOS, plus fully expecting to have retirement visa / extension by this time next year...

I think I'm qualified to vote: death rather than the miserable alternative of repatriation :o

I feel very lucky to be an Australian citizen.

I was living in Dubai recently and late last year the financial slowdown really started to kick into the expat population. The Brits where absolutely terrified of the thought of having to go back to pommy land. I was really suprised at how scared they were!

When I am living in another country and it's time to go home I think about what the worst can happen. Like...

Live back on the Gold Coast

Go surfing and fishing everyday

Go on the dole for a while untill I got a job (with a wife and kid it's more than enough to live a comfortable life) :D

Perfect weather, wide open spaces....

The Brits on the other hand. :o

I would bet a pound to a penny that everyone of them that voted "extremely would'nt go back" or "I'd rather die than go back" are English.

Poor buggers, they even feel a shack in the back of Issan is better than where they come from. :D

Yep...it's good to be Aussie. :D

YES!!! I extremely want to move back to my own country and once I move back to my own country I would rather die than move back to THE UK! (Hopefully, it'll be next year.)

Nice one :o

YES!!! I extremely want to move back to my own country and once I move back to my own country I would rather die than move back to THE UK! (Hopefully, it'll be next year.)

Umm, does that mean that you concider Thailand to be your own country? :o

Dear Livinginexile,

I am a little Thai lady living in the cold and wet country and looking forward to moving back to the sunshine. :D

Nice one :o

Thanks mahtin,

thanks God that my husband is retiring soon, can't imagine if I married a young gentleman and had to live here anothere 20 years!

Umm, does that mean that you concider Thailand to be your own country? :o

Dear Livinginexile,

I am a little Thai lady living in the cold and wet country and looking forward to moving back to the sunshine. :D

Who can blame you? That goes for most of northern europe as well. But I would be happy to move to California or Australia, even Japan.

I want that my son can go to a free school in a country with almost equal opportunities. Here i would need to pay a fortune that i do not have for semi-decent schooling, and would have to bear that he will get politicized (and that also in a direction that i do not support) from an early age on.

I do like it here, and i do like it in the west.

But this here is not a place to bring a child up, and prepare him for a good future.

I want that my son can go to a free school in a country with almost equal opportunities. Here i would need to pay a fortune that i do not have for semi-decent schooling, and would have to bear that he will get politicized (and that also in a direction that i do not support) from an early age on.

But this here is not a place to bring a child up, and prepare him for a good future.

And the UK is such a Nirvana?

He wants to send his son to Eton and Oxford, so he can come back as PM some day.

Poor buggers, they even feel a shack in the back of Issan is better than where they come from. :o
My sentiments exactly. I'm from the UK and I'd rather go to jail than return to the UK. The place is a <deleted> and has been since dear old Maggie got the boot. God bless her.

Not every westerner is from the UK or the states. Farangland does consist of many varied nations and cultures. We also have a plethora of different languages, not just "speak-farang". :o

Personally, I think that people who spent such an inordinate amount of time trashing their home country, should lose their citizenship!

Those that spend too much time trashing their host country should lose their visa.

Those that do both should......

Back to some of the suicide threads, I guess.

Personally, I think that people who spent such an inordinate amount of time trashing their home country, should lose their citizenship!

Those that spend too much time trashing their host country should lose their visa.

Those that do both should......

Back to some of the suicide threads, I guess.

Perhaps there's an alternative ?

Since I work offshore spend 80% of my leave in Thailand. Go back to the UK for a few nights to see my son's, 22 & 24.

Going back so regularykeeps me aware of the pros and cons for both countries. At the moment, cannot imagine ever leaving Thailand and my Thai GF for life back in the UK.

Okay the UK has order, and higher standards of competency (Banks, Politicians, maybe I err) but the taxes, weather, peoples manners and etiquitte put me off.

Already have a stage by stage plan for retirement and it's here in Thailand.

I very much do not want to move back but as things stand I have almost 1 year to the end of my current stay and if things do not improve on quite a few different fronts I may have to move back. But I have time enough to see improvements before making the final decision.