Why's He Stalled In Chiangmai?

EgbertNosh

My business partner from the UK was on a few months trip around the Pacific and Far East.

After NZ, Aus, Fiji, Bali and Singapore he got to Chiang Mai and stopped.

I will have to buy him out or see if he'll come back.

With this in mind I'll fly out to Thailand at the end of April.

Is Chiangmai really that good?

My business partner from the UK was on a few months trip around the Pacific and Far East.

I fear when you turn up in Chiang Mai at the end of April, there'll be NO partners left in your business.

No it definitely isn't, you'll probably find that he's been hospitalized because of the pollution. As for coming at the end of April, I wouldn't bother, save your money and spend a couple of weeks down in Devon or Cornwall, you'll find it far more satisfying. :o

yes - I came, I saw, I stayed

yes - I came, I saw, I stayed

Quite warm that time of year - April - but if you don't mind heat - then go for it. The best time for me is Nov. - Feb. As far as the trappings are concerned, if you have never been to Thailand, there is no describing it - especially for someone who is single. I moved here almost 2 years ago - and I hate the heat - so figure it out.

Yes I can understand why you look like loosing your partner to beautiful Chiangmai, I did the same thing many years ago. Except for a few old Fugidudies - who like anywhere in the world today are always complaining – Chiangmai is a wonderful, charming, laid back, friendly place to live.

Reminds me of Captain Willard's journey to see what became of Colonel Kurtz. Stay off the river boats!

LOL, I hope he's not totally insane. I'll keep in the boat.

If he really loves it in Chiangmai then we'll sort out an arrangement. I will find out what paperwork he needs for the best and easiest Visa solution and help.

Who knows, if it's that good I might buy a place in CM myself (although I do like my home in the Lake District, cold rain/wind/ImustBeMad).

Funny, my story was the opposite. I came to Chiang Mai and ended up buying out my business partner. He has visited a number of times (though not in April) and understands my affection for the city, though I think he's left a fair amount of his profits from the sale at some little fishing village south of here with a name that begins with a P.

Chiang Mai is generally boring and so is the cliquey expat social setup. Expect typical darts matches, bridge evenings, pubby clubby stuff, wine tastings, Xmas parties etc - take a look at the social scene pages of Chiang Mai mail to get the general drift - lots of cocktail dresses and fat smug grins - just like back home - nothing at all to do with Thailand.

EgbertNosh,

Chiang Mai is an attractive place to visit, sojourn, or live full-time.

I have lived here about 3 years continuously, but first visited in 1975 as a young backpacker type.

In 1975 it just happened to be Songkran week.

No major mayhem, but even in that laid-back era, it was a wild party nonetheless.

Check CM out, and if you like it and stay- Welcome to you!

Chiang Mai is generally boring and so is the cliquey expat social setup. Expect typical darts matches, bridge evenings, pubby clubby stuff, wine tastings, Xmas parties etc - take a look at the social scene pages of Chiang Mai mail to get the general drift - lots of cocktail dresses and fat smug grins - just like back home - nothing at all to do with Thailand.

I have no interest in any of that and don't know anyone that does. It is VERY easy to avoid.

There is plenty of stuff to do in Chiang Mai whether you are a loner or a socialite.

I have no interest in any of that and don't know anyone that does. It is VERY easy to avoid.

There is plenty of stuff to do in Chiang Mai whether you are a loner or a socialite.

Ten years ago, before we were all used to internet forums, a statement like Tykes would have upset people. Now I just see it as the post of; a troll, a drunk, a bored loner, an old git or a failed Jimmy Tarbuck.