All Thai Males Must Become Soldier ?

TonySoprano

Short answer: yes

I've talked about this in the past on a thread you linked:

What is mandatory is that you make yourself eligble for conscription at age 17. Depending on the quota for that year in his district, there may not be any conscription, as volunteers take up all the spots. Most likely, it is a combination of the two. If there are vacant spots, balls are pulled out of the hat via a lottery system. Red ball = 2 years conscriptin, Black ball = released from all futher duties

There are many options:

- turn up for lottery taking the risk

- do 3 years of cadets while at high school. Relatively painless, gets you out of school one day per week. Legit option of choice for most people. I also understand cadets can be done while at university.

- defer lottery by undertaking unviersity education. Eventually though you'll have to show up for the lottery.

- Volunteer. For those who have a university education, people who volunteer during the call up period are only required to do 6 months of service. Those who do have a university degree, don't volunteer, and take their chances with the lottery, must do the full 2 years if the pick the red ball however.

- Move out of Thailand until 30, taking your name off the house registration book. Return to Thailand after 30. Those who then turn up for the lottery after 30 (ie those who have legally avoided their date with the conscription officer until this point) are exempted from service, even if they get the red ball. Instead, they are put into the Thai version of the Army reserves, which in Thailand is a non-active unit, and is only called up in times of national emergency (ie invasion by china). All Thai men between 18 and 45, if not in active service are technically members of the army reserves.

I've never been able to find the rules in English, but the whole kit and kaboodle is available on the Ministry of Defense website in Thai. While there are all sorts of exemptions, the above is a distilled version of the legit and above board ways of getting things done.

My case was the last dot point, though, in my case, I didn't officially move to Thailand till I was 30. A copy of my exemption letter can be found:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...t&p=1787279

Edited by samran

So did the PM get by on the "black ball" option or the 30yo one?

I think the official version is that he volunteered and did his service teaching at the military academy when he got back from his studies. The opposition makes alot of it, but apart from the words 'pot, kettle and black' (as well as 'smoke, fire') coming to mind, someone like Abhisit who come from families with some lineage and looking to get into politics usually do some sort of service as a matter of course. A number of friends of our family actually happily volunteer as a way of creating contacts and served for a time. Cause of who they are, they normally get plumb and safe postings anyway.

Personally I say it will do them the world of good to join. Free room and board and a wage to boot. The army holds onto half their pay and they get it back when they leave. Nice nest egg. Don't want to go? Dad has money? 50,000฿ and the problem goes away. :o

Yesterday I was told that it was 30,000 baht to avoid the ballot. This however has to be paid before the ballot. Once you have picked the wrong colour I think it may be too late (or too expensive?)

Is there an upper age limit at which National Service ceases to apply?

The year you turn 30, they can't touch you. Relevant clause in the regulations is quoted in the exemption letter I provide a link to above.

You still have to turn up, but you are immediately exempted.

I paid a small fine at the police station for not turning up before (fines had to be paid so that the military could issue the release documents). The fines ranged from 100 baht to 400 baht. I was fined 100 cause I made the effort to turn up eventually.

Personally I say it will do them the world of good to join. Free room and board and a wage to boot. The army holds onto half their pay and they get it back when they leave. Nice nest egg. Don't want to go? Dad has money? 50,000฿ and the problem goes away. :o

Prices have gone up rapidly. Used to be about 10,000.

Yesterday I was told that it was 30,000 baht to avoid the ballot. This however has to be paid before the ballot. Once you have picked the wrong colour I think it may be too late (or too expensive?)

I believe that was the problem in the case I was talking about. The lad got deferred for three years to finish uni and now it cost 50K. Having a farung stepfather adds to the cost I would suppose.

I also talked to one guy who was rejected by the military because his chest size was too small. So maybe this explains why many Thai guys obviously have little interest in working out. The ones that do can too easily become cannon fodder!

it was last year as my friend ask me to helped him avoid the army - he is tall and in good health and was sure they will pick him up - no red/black balls was used in 'ceremony' , officials had the amount they need to fill for that year to send to service from that area and they was short of boys - so need to hand over - well under - 27 000 THB and problem was solved. My opinion was opposite, it would made good for that guy to take the 2 years in service, he is soooo lazy :o

years and years ago 1984 or so in western calendar time, my friend ask me to send him 20 000 THB to do the same, not sure if that included some pocket money for him too but it has been well priced a long time ....

Not every male HAS to go. They all pick a ball out of a bucket (or whatever), if ball is red (I think red) you are ok, if it's black you have to join the army for 2 years. You also have the option of volunteering for 6 months, if you do this you don't have to risk the lottery. My employee just had to quit because he didnt want to risk it and volunteered. Another employee in the past did risk it and he got lucky and didnt have to go.

Correct.

Why should luek krung be exempt???

They are Thai citizens too.

If you have Thai passport, regardless of what other passport you have, it applies. Some here have told the rules as in you can get the color that says you don't have to join. Also, I had students who were in the military but it's not always a full-time thing. He only had to go on Tuesday afternoons and so missed my class only every Tuesday afternoon.

Edit: After reading Thithi's post, he was probably in Territorial Defense school so he did that instead of enlisting full time.

Yes, I experienced the same situation. I had a Thai teacher come to me one afternoon, whilst 5 lads were ending their English lesson. The Thai teacher advised me that the 5 students would be missing from class from that day, which was a Wednesday, as they had to go to Army classes, also on a Wednesdays.

Just asked my bf. He did army training in high school during his last 2 years, (kind of like boy scouts) It was every Wednesday afternoon for 2 years during the school year. Complete this and you don't have to go for the draft but must report by mail once a year. Not all high schools have this program but the better private ones in Bangkok do. He also said it not unusual to pay somebody off to get out of it as well. Middle and upper class normally avoid the draft with both these options.

Correct not one of my family went to the army, some followed military training during High school, others paid their way out. Its even possible to get somebody to replace you when you lose the lottery.

Its only the boy's from poor families who perform their military service.

I asked my 40-year old gay neighbor yesterday. He paid 20,000 baht to avoid having to draw the ball. He understands that long-haired big-breasted katoeys do not serve because they are declared mentally unfit. I knew other gay and bi Thais to go in the service, or buy their way out, or be cadets in high school. One of my best gay students elected out of cadets but had family who could have bought him out of the lottery.

I asked my 40-year old gay neighbor yesterday. He paid 20,000 baht to avoid having to draw the ball. He understands that long-haired big-breasted katoeys do not serve because they are declared mentally unfit. I knew other gay and bi Thais to go in the service, or buy their way out, or be cadets in high school. One of my best gay students elected out of cadets but had family who could have bought him out of the lottery.

Is there a hands-on test to see if they are real or just bra-padding?

Something seems unfair. My son, who is luk kreung, will have to enter the conscription lottery. That is, if unlucky he would be conscripted. However, if he wished to join the police and go to officer training school, he would be barred because of the very fact that he is luk kreung.

Something seems unfair. My son, who is luk kreung, will have to enter the conscription lottery. That is, if unlucky he would be conscripted. However, if he wished to join the police and go to officer training school, he would be barred because of the very fact that he is luk kreung.

I don't know where you get that idea from....is this just bar stool chat that he for some reason is inelgible to enter the police force because he has a foreign parent? I believe I've met a Thai/American police officer once.

However, if he wished to join the police and go to officer training school, he would be barred because of the very fact that he is luk kreung.

Are you sure? Sonchai Jitpieecheep from John Burdett's Bangkok 8 series of 'thrillers with attitude to spare' is a luk kreung and he seems to do all right as a cop.

Read this in the Bangkok Post about a month or so ago. It was in an article about entrance to the Police Cadet School in Sampran. The school's website seems to be down so am unable to reconfirm.

Not every male HAS to go. They all pick a ball out of a bucket (or whatever), if ball is red (I think red) you are ok, if it's black you have to join the army for 2 years. You also have the option of volunteering for 6 months, if you do this you don't have to risk the lottery. My employee just had to quit because he didnt want to risk it and volunteered. Another employee in the past did risk it and he got lucky and didnt have to go.

Correct.

dunno. with all the crazy nationalism here i thought maybe they didn't. plus, i mean, i know a couple, and there is no way in hel_l i could imagine any of them going through that hoopla.

Correct.

dunno. with all the crazy nationalism here i thought maybe they didn't. plus, i mean, i know a couple, and there is no way in hel_l i could imagine any of them going through that hoopla.

Crazy nationalism? Do explain....

Here is another way to avoid it.

:o

http://bangkokpost.newspaperdirect.com/epaper/viewer.aspx

you dnt have to be a soldier when you go to school, but you have to be anyway when you graduate.

er... I did say in my post above there IF you have a physical/mental problem of course with a note from doctor. like .. you have got too short-sighted, too skinny etc...

hmmmm not sure for religious one. I think some Muslims from the south have to be soldiers anyway cos they are in Thailand having Thai nationality.

the cover of the bangkok post today suggests that if you have tits, you are excused for chest disfigurement.

edit: dam_n, didn't see the post above.

Edited by t.s