Retirement Visa To Marriage Visa

I have been legally married to a Thai for a 10 years and there was no reason to apply for a marriage visa as i was working abroad on a 28/28 rotation and at that time the 30 day visa on arrival was all I required to legally enter the country .

I have now been retired for three years and during that period I have always applied for the B.800.000 money in the bank retirement visa as I had heard it's difficult to obtain the marriage visa for B.400.000 even though I qualified i.e over 60 years old and money in the bank etc.

Last year as money became tight, I decided to apply for the marriage visa and arrived at the immigration with all the necessary paperwork neatly stacked in a folder.

When the immigration opened the folder and saw the Thai marriage certificate, without even asking any questions he literally tossed it across the table and told me that it was not possible even if I have 20 million in the bank "cannot do" I needed to show proof of income. Needless to say he was very impolite and very unhelpful. When I attempted to explain my situation he again barked at me "cannot do"

As I could see this was going nowhere I had no option but to go back to the retirement visa for B.800.000.

My visa if due again in a couple of months and intend to pay a law firm to apply for the marriage visa for me.

Now IF I am allowed the marriage visa, apart from the obvious advantage of requiring less money in the bank are there any disadvantages along the way that I need to know. Has anybody else been in a similar situation that could advise me please.

Thanks.

You are entitled to apply for the Marriage Extension. The law changed last November. you can use the 400,000 Baht in the bank.

You have to use your designated Immigration Office. You do not need a law firm.

The downside is if you got divorced or your Wife passed away you would lose your extension.

This is the law.

(6) In case of marriage with a Thai lady, the husband who is an alien must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit in a local Thai bank of not less than 400,000 baht for the past 2 months for expenses within a year.

Last year you could not do with 400k bank account - it had to be income. The officer was right. This has changed and the 400k bank option is again available. Must be in account 2 or 3 months prior to application. You do not need any law firm to do this for you. They can do nothing but hold your hand in any case. You and wife must apply and present the paperwork. Passbook/copies, bank letter, marriage certificate copy, home register of wife, copy id card of wife, passport copies, departure card copies, photos together in home, of marriage, in front of house with number showing, current 4x6cm photo of you, TM.7 and 1,900 baht.

You have to make at least two trips for marriage as you will get one month extension be told to come back in one month.

Last year you could not do with 400k bank account - it had to be income. The officer was right. This has changed and the 400k bank option is again available. Must be in account 2 or 3 months prior to application. You do not need any law firm to do this for you. They can do nothing but hold your hand in any case. You and wife must apply and present the paperwork. Passbook/copies, bank letter, marriage certificate copy, home register of wife, copy id card of wife, passport copies, departure card copies, photos together in home, of marriage, in front of house with number showing, current 4x6cm photo of you, TM.7 and 1,900 baht.

You have to make at least two trips for marriage as you will get one month extension be told to come back in one month.

Many thanks to you all for the help, it's a lot clearer now.

You are entitled to apply for the Marriage Extension. The law changed last November. you can use the 400,000 Baht in the bank.

You have to use your designated Immigration Office. You do not need a law firm.

The downside is if you got divorced or your Wife passed away you would lose your extension.

This is the law.

(6) In case of marriage with a Thai lady, the husband who is an alien must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit in a local Thai bank of not less than 400,000 baht for the past 2 months for expenses within a year.

If the worst should happen, and I lose my extension (under Thai law) can i then apply for the normal Retirement visa that requires the B.800.000.

Thanks.

This may serve as a guide for documentation needed. Be aware that different offices MAY require different paperwork.

TM7 application form & photo

B1,900 fee

Passport & Arrival Card (TM6)

Signed copy of passport & TM6

Marriage certificate

Signed copy of marriage cert

Tabien Baan

Signed copy of Tabien Baan

ID card

Signed copy of ID card

Signed copy of wife's passport

Bank letter stating B400K has been in the bank for at least 3 months

Savings book showing exactly samae balance as above

Signed copy of savings book

Signed map of address

Photos of house

This may serve as a guide for documentation needed. Be aware that different offices MAY require different paperwork.

B1,900 fee

Marriage certificate

Tabien Baan

ID card

Signed copy of ID card

Signed map of address

Photos of house

In another thread I told my experience of changing from retirement (not requested by me) to marriage again.

Most Offices don't like it,extra work?Or,possibly because the decisions are made in Bangkok and not locally? :o

If they ask for the Tabien Ban it should be your wife's.

The wife Passport is NOT a request.

400K Baht or confirmed income(Embassy letter).

House Map and photos at the discretion of the IO.Some understand that after a 10 years marriage........

^^^^^

Yes, as I said, it is only a guideline. Better too much than to run back home, kick yourself and return later with what you thought would never be asked for and start all the crap over again!!

Edited by jamesjdaly

• 2 months later...

I went in today to do all of this (above)

I had asked about 2 months ago when i last did the 90 day reporting if i could do it now or must wait, they said no problem, do it anytime.

So, today i went in with everything.

Immedietly the guy said the money hadn't been in the bank long enough. (i showed him that they money had been in there for 2 years)

He then said: You can only do this 40 days before your present visa expires.

I pointed out i would be out of the country at that time and had asked last time and they said i could do it anytime.

He said: "rules have changed" and turned to the guy behind me and said "next!"

So, now i am worrying that next time i go, if they don't feel like doing any work that day, they will just make up some other BS and tell me i can't get it. At that time, it'll be too late.

So, i guess i'll have to just keep the 800k in the bank another year.

Edited by fiddlehead

I had asked about 2 months ago when i last did the 90 day reporting if i could do it now or must wait, they said no problem, do it anytime.

Immedietly the guy said the money hadn't been in the bank long enough. (i showed him that they money had been in there for 2 years)

I pointed out i would be out of the country at that time and had asked last time and they said i could do it anytime.

So, now i am worrying that next time i go, if they don't feel like doing any work that day, they will just make up some other BS and tell me i can't get it. At that time, it'll be too late.

Wait a few days and try again Maybe you will be lucky and get a different officer.

Or try to talk to a supervisor.

Wait a few days and try again Maybe you will be lucky and get a different officer.

Or try to talk to a supervisor.

Talk to the boss!They are normally less stressed,and less fearful of losing face.

Explain to your wife the situation,so that she may be of more help if necessary. :)

I would also advise printing out your Plane tickets to show them... this may help

• 3 weeks later...

B1,900 fee

Marriage certificate

Tabien Baan

ID card

Signed copy of ID card

Signed map of address

Photos of house

In another thread I told my experience of changing from retirement (not requested by me) to marriage again.

Most Offices don't like it,extra work?Or,possibly because the decisions are made in Bangkok and not locally? :)

If they ask for the Tabien Ban it should be your wife's.

The wife Passport is NOT a request.

400K Baht or confirmed income(Embassy letter).

House Map and photos at the discretion of the IO.Some understand that after a 10 years marriage........

I have my annual extension renewal next month - groan - based on marriage to Thai wife. Just checking the latest list and I see I only need 1 photo this year. Last year I needed photo of my wife and me in the house and another in fornt of a wardrobe with clothes in it. Can you please conform thats no longer needed.

Thanks for your help

I have my annual extension renewal next month - groan - based on marriage to Thai wife. Just checking the latest list and I see I only need 1 photo this year. Last year I needed photo of my wife and me in the house and another in fornt of a wardrobe with clothes in it. Can you please conform thats no longer needed.

Thanks for your help

That would also be depending on which office you use. But I would always take some pic's with me, just in case.

Thanks for your help

That would also be depending on which office you use. But I would always take some pic's with me, just in case.

Thanks for the quick feedback -you are right of course - I will take photos of everything with me - just in case...

B1,900 fee

Marriage certificate

Tabien Baan

ID card

Signed copy of ID card

Signed map of address

Photos of house

JD.. Thanks for this informative post... makes for a great checklist. I might be going through this later this year as well. Very helpful.

Agreed thanks to James for the checklist, I used it to to apply for a change from retirement to marriage. It is under 30 days consideration now from the office in Nan. They say they are going to do a home visit and also ask 2 of my wifes family to sign an additional form. Will keep you posted on the outcome.

Chris Aitch

Edited by aitch52

A thank you to jamesjdaly as well for the checklist. Very useful. One other thing I found useful from this thread was that comment about going to renew a visa up to 40 days before it expires. I am renewing an extension based on marriage that expires on August 30th. I usually go to Jomtien abot 10 days before. Could I go even earlier than this???

Thanks for the advice.

Most Offices like you to do it about 30 days before. Reports suggest that Jontiem will do it even earlier.

Thanks for the quick reply Lite Beer. I may head down there next week then - get the 'painful' procedure under way :)

Useful thread. Thanks guys.

Will the marriage extention work with a rented house in my name on the agreement.

Or must the agreement be changed to her name

Thanks

Useful thread. Thanks guys.

Will the marriage extention work with a rented house in my name on the agreement.

Or must the agreement be changed to her name

Thanks

It should work. But it also depends on your immigration office. Nan immigration insists that you and your wife live together on the adress where the misses is registered on the houshold registration. But that is the only one I know of.