Building A Swimming Pool In Pattaya

HOE

Am seeking some help or advice from anybody about the pitfalls of buliding a swimming pool in Pattaya, also which is best: Salt Water or Chlorine filtration.

Any help whether it be positive or negative will be a great help, I hope!!!

Also where is the best place to buy the equipment from?

I live in the Maprachan part of town and want a pool, about 10 x 5 m, with a standard depth of 1.2m.

Jacuzzi or not to Jacuzzi, that is another question!

Thanks in anticipation.......... :o

Good thread,who are the best installation company of pools for both cost & quality.

EPG

I have always found Home & Pool to be good quality with middle pricing. Always done a good job for me.

I had P & N Pools build my salt water chlorinated pool. They did a great job and Phil Gough the principal was super helpful with follow up service and advice for a newbie on how to manage the pool.

Phil also sells pool supplies at very good prices. One rip-off well advertised coy got me B800 for 50kgs of salt. Phil's price B350.

I don't think I can put his number in here because of forum rules but PM me if you wish.

The salt "chlorination" is the only way to go. I live in Florida. My sister has a medium sized pool with that system. No chlorine smells, stains or taste at all. No eye stinging. No skin issues. The salt concentration is below what you can taste or sense or feel. No pool slime or anything. It is stunning. I am an engineer and would swear by this system for any and all pools. Toss in that cheap bag of rock salt now and then and all is done. Would not even consider a standard chlorine and chemical pool like most hotels have in Pattaya. Eye gouging they are.

What is the advantage to Salt water chlorinated systems?

The huge advantage in having a clorinator is that it keeps the chlorine level constant, meaning pool stays clean, also you don't have to store chlorine at home, it really is quite a nasty chemical!

Maintenance of chlorinator is minimal, you need to clean the cell every six months or so, takes 15 minutes.

Hi HOE and others.

Im running a Fiberglass Factory near to Pattaya. I just had a jacuzzi built. Round with 3m diameter.

Sits 8 ppl and looks really cool. I have the mold already and can therefor make a very good prize on that

one. One mold i can pop out about 100 Jacuzzis. ;-)

Anybody interested pls message me private. I will supply pics and more infos.

By the way....we also produce superb sit on top Kayaks with detachable ice boxes which also can be used

for fishing in either fresh or salt water.

Regarding Pool company i think that Lunatec made a good impression to me.

Hi HOE and others.

Im running a Fiberglass Factory near to Pattaya. I just had a jacuzzi built. Round with 3m diameter.

Sits 8 ppl and looks really cool. I have the mold already and can therefor make a very good prize on that

By the way....we also produce superb sit on top Kayaks with detachable ice boxes which also can be used

I think you mean Lomatec, or maybe you were right first time going by their prices!!!

Hi HOE and others.

I think you mean Lomatec, or maybe you were right first time going by their prices!!!

Oh yes. Sorry for that and very funny Lenny you got a good sense of humor.

Im not sure about the prices of them against competitors but the quality seems to

be good. Tell me if i was wrong :-) eh....my jacuzzi is great ;-)

Good thread,who are the best installation company of pools for both cost & quality.

EPG

I have always found Home & Pool to be good quality with middle pricing. Always done a good job for me.

Thanks for the info, I will check them out.

I agree, the more ppl I speak to most seem to be going for the salt water system.

Thanks to the other replies for the help and info

• 2 weeks later...
mr bee ...recommend this thai guy to build you a pool...speaks english very well and good service and price 0817812719 ( no im not on commission)

Thank you all for the helpful info, I am going for a 10x4 pool with jacuzzi at one end and salt water .

In Lotus & Big C you can buy the 3,66m Pool for arround 6.500 Baht. I had bring one some years ago from germany to pattaya include a filtersystem for arround 3.000 Baht. The company INTEX is a Chinese/American Company with a factory in HongKong.

This is not even debatable. DO NOT get a salt water pool. They SUCK!

Are you comparing to normal chlorine pool or......?

I have had experience with both salt water and normal chlorine pool, the former being a lot less work. But in thailand, where you can pay someone to come and maintain, I guess it does not matter which system.

This is not even debatable. DO NOT get a salt water pool. They SUCK!

I have had a salt water\chlorine pool for 3 years now, with no problems, please enlighten us as to the problem with them?

The salt "chlorination" is the only way to go. I live in Florida. My sister has a medium sized pool with that system. No chlorine smells, stains or taste at all. No eye stinging. No skin issues. The salt concentration is below what you can taste or sense or feel. No pool slime or anything. It is stunning. I am an engineer and would swear by this system for any and all pools. Toss in that cheap bag of rock salt now and then and all is done. Would not even consider a standard chlorine and chemical pool like most hotels have in Pattaya. Eye gouging they are.

some engineers don't seem to know that there is no difference in required chlorine content between a "saltwater" pool and a regular chlorinated pool. the only difference is how chlorine is added to the pool water. a saltwater system generates chlorine from salt (NaCl = Potassium- respectively Natrium Chloride) by electrolysis whereas in a regular pool existing chlorine is added. as for the other chemicals needed, e.g. to decrease or increase pH, kill algae, coagulate tiny particles to be filtered out, etc. the demand for both pools is indentical assuming the same ambient conditions.

thanks for not listening and spreading fairy tales :o

I disagree. I use a saltwater pool at a friends house frequently and I would choose this over chlorine every time

faith can move mountains :o

Appears so, people tend to react long before there brain has engaged, or in some cases where they have no ides what they are talking about! :D

some engineers don't seem to know that there is no difference in required chlorine content between a "saltwater" pool and a regular chlorinated pool. the only difference is how chlorine is added to the pool water. a saltwater system generates chlorine from salt (NaCl = Potassium- respectively Natrium Chloride) by electrolysis whereas in a regular pool existing chlorine is added. as for the other chemicals needed, e.g. to decrease or increase pH, kill algae, coagulate tiny particles to be filtered out, etc. the demand for both pools is indentical assuming the same ambient conditions.

thanks for not listening and spreading fairy tales :o

I don't know if you were referring to me or not. Granted I did not explain how the chlorination works, or about the possible need for some other chemicals, but I am well aware of how the chlorination works in both systems and that was not the central topic of my post. The "Saltwater" system is enormously less painful on the eyes as that massive chlorine is NOT dumped into the pool water itself as in a regular chlorine pool.

I don't know if you were referring to me or not. Granted I did not explain how the chlorination works, or about the possible need for some other chemicals, but I am well aware of how the chlorination works in both systems and that was not the central topic of my post. The "Saltwater" system is enormously less painful on the eyes as that massive chlorine is NOT dumped into the pool water itself as in a regular chlorine pool.

only ignorants and thai pool service men (most of them are in my view complete ignorants) "dump massive amounts of Cl" into pools. the "regular" system is not painful at all if/when (and that is the normal case) the same free chlorine content is available in the water as in the "saltwater" pool. i don't know whether to blame pool builders or customers who do not offer, respectively demand that a rather cheap inline chlorinator is installed which (according to adjustment) sets the required amount of Cl to be added to the pool water. the problem is that the average pool builder and of course customer in Thailand have no freaking idea or think "why should i spend a few thousand Baht on a chlorinator when we are going to have a pool service?"

hotels generally go overboard with chemicals because they have to cater for an unknown number of guests who use, and therefore pollute, the hotel pools. a comparison hotel/private pool is therfore not warranted. by the way, in the 80s it was quite in fashion that hotels in Thailand sanitised their pools with hydrochloric acid which even now costs a fraction of chlorination. nobody cared a dàmn that, due to a pH of 5.5 or even less, pussies and clefts became raw, itching and hurting because it saved money. according to what i heard some hotels still follow that procedure.

disclaimer: technically there is nothing wrong with chlorinating a pool by generating chlorine out of salt by electrolysis. however, due to the high initial cost (exorbitant and inflated prices), there won't be any savings compared to pools in which the water is treated by a chlorinator or the pool service maintains the required ppm on a regular (at least weekly) basis.

this is what a chlorinator looks like:

Hydrotools-inline-Chlorinator.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have had a salt water system installed recently. But do you think I can find a Salt Meter to check the salt levels. Can I heck! Anyone know where I can get one as the salt keeps dropping with all this rain and I cannot monitor it! Hit & miss with adding additional bags of salt!