Rentry Permit Only At Specific Sites: Is This A Joke?

I first stated some weeks back and I'll repeat it again.

"This re-entry matter is big, very big and will affect many and has not as yet really hit home"

I feel this post is on-topic and valid as we are already seeing emotional responses about the subject.

At least one very senior member is on-side and feels if enough "noise" is made about the issue, that maybe it will be changed. I would love to share his opinion, but as T.V. is not in any way an action group as stated in another thread, I don't think so.

Do any of the sponsor bodies who have contact from time with the authorities have any way of passing on concerns which are raised as genuine concerns?

It's all very well for some members who perhaps have readily available transport means or are not located very far from their 'new' local office to pass this off as not very important. But there are now a significant number of us who are located very inconveniently to access our new office and will have to go to extra expense and time to do what should be a simple procedure.

What is "area dependent" about a re-entry permit, the actual extension of stay date should be the key factor here.

There are those also who think that it is a small amount, 3800B, to pay for a "maybe" multiple. Sorry, I can afford it but I don't want to afford it for "maybe" trips outside.

Significantly 'many' in retirement status just may have lost a big hunk of their funds recently due to........ you know what!

If you know that you are going to make one or more trips outside, by all means it makes a lot of sense to do the re-entry thing, but for those that don't know at extension time, why throw money down the drain pipe.

I'm sure like me that there is a significant number of members who have family or close friends not present here and there may be times where an unplanned trip is needed. Yes, I know it has been said that in an emergency, one MAY get a permit at the airport, yes MAY.

Oh yes there are those that will say, forget your extension status and start the process afresh when you return. All for what, a simple procedure that should never have been taken away.

Even if they wanted to save a few Baht by closing the airport desk, re-entry should be easy and available at any Immigration Office.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I first stated some weeks back and I'll repeat it again.

"This re-entry matter is big, very big and will affect many and has not as yet really hit home"

I feel this post is on-topic and valid as we are already seeing emotional responses about the subject.

At least one very senior member is on-side and feels if enough "noise" is made about the issue, that maybe it will be changed. I would love to share his opinion, but as T.V. is not in any way an action group as stated in another thread, I don't think so.

Do any of the sponsor bodies who have contact from time with the authorities have any way of passing on concerns which are raised as genuine concerns?

It's all very well for some members who perhaps have readily available transport means or are not located very far from their 'new' local office to pass this off as not very important. But there are now a significant number of us who are located very inconveniently to access our new office and will have to go to extra expense and time to do what should be a simple procedure.

What is "area dependent" about a re-entry permit, the actual extension of stay date should be the key factor here.

There are those also who think that it is a small amount, 3800B, to pay for a "maybe" multiple. Sorry, I can afford it but I don't want to afford it for "maybe" trips outside.

Significantly 'many' in retirement status just may have lost a big hunk of their funds recently due to........ you know what!

If you know that you are going to make one or more trips outside, by all means it makes a lot of sense to do the re-entry thing, but for those that don't know at extension time, why throw money down the drain pipe.

I'm sure like me that there is a significant number of members who have family or close friends not present here and there may be times where an unplanned trip is needed. Yes, I know it has been said that in an emergency, one MAY get a permit at the airport, yes MAY.

Oh yes there are those that will say, forget your extension status and start the process afresh when you return. All for what, a simple procedure that should never have been taken away.

Even if they wanted to save a few Baht by closing the airport desk, re-entry should be easy and available at any Immigration Office.

Thank you.........well said.

No one really loves Thai Immigration..you just have to make the best of it..or leave..simple as that..sorry.

Exactly.

I've done my share of fuming after encounters, but in all fairness, nobody loves immigration departments anywhere in the world. Not if they are on the "immigrant" side of the equation, anyhow.

I'm from the US and whenever Thai Immigration rules, procedures or personnel get my blood boiling I just remind myself of the considerable hassles foreigners coming to or trying to stay in my home country face.

That's true Sheryl they have to go through some hassles at the U.S. embassy to get a visa, but once they do when they visit, or live in the states they don't have all this 90 day reporting, constant changin of visa rules and on & on. Several of my thai friends have 10 year visas for the U.S. and after getting it, it's pretty much come and go as they please......no hassles.

beachbunny

Actually in another thread he appears to say he as a multi entry non immigrant O visa and makes 90 day stays so he does not even need re-entry permits.

Please clarify - do you exit country every 90 days and return for a new permitted to stay stamp? Or were you referring to 90 day address reporting in the other thread.

I was talking about reporting every 90 days. My extension of stay is permitted up to Jan. 2010. I have to notify immigration of my address every 90 days (90 day reporting).

All of this started with a non-O visa.....then I went with my wife for the "interrogation." Then there was a waiting period during which my application for extension of stay was under consideration (stamped Thai wife).

Clear?

On another thread......the one about the airport in the swamp.......a person posted a sign that was posted at the airport and it states that reentry permits can be obtained at any immigration checkpoint (except the airport).

Somebody from immigration needs to go over there and read that sign. Do they not mean what they say?

Logic will not help this thread. Most convoluted questions AND answers I've read on this site...and there have been dillies. Good luck, for that is what it will take to sort through all this gibberish. Sorry I cannot be of help.

"As for the (single-multiple) re-entry permit is an extra complication and money maker invented by Thai authorities certainly not intended to make life easier for us, non-immigrants amplified by changing rules not in our favour once more."

Whoever wrote the above hasn't been around much-Re-Entry Permits are most countries. If you are a visitor on whatever visa then, when you leave a country, to return you need another visa, hence the system of getting a re-entry permit which avoids the need to renew your visa-simple logic, not 'invented' by Thai Immigration.

As many have said above, the simple way is to get a re-entry permit while you are renewing, or extending your visa, then you're not caught with your trousers down in an emergency. Q.E.D.

Simply get your reentry permit with your annual visit to your visa office.

Send your 90 day reports in by EMS - couldn't be easier no need to actually visit immigration.

Some Immigration Offices do not accept reports by post. So some are faced with a long journey every 3 months.

If they happen to be in another part of Thailand for whatever reason at reporting time they are going to have a very long journey.

Actually in another thread he appears to say he as a multi entry non immigrant O visa and makes 90 day stays so he does not even need re-entry permits.

Please clarify - do you exit country every 90 days and return for a new permitted to stay stamp? Or were you referring to 90 day address reporting in the other thread.

I was talking about reporting every 90 days. My extension of stay is permitted up to Jan. 2010. I have to notify immigration of my address every 90 days (90 day reporting).

All of this started with a non-O visa.....then I went with my wife for the "interrogation." Then there was a waiting period during which my application for extension of stay was under consideration (stamped Thai wife).

Clear?

On another thread......the one about the airport in the swamp.......a person posted a sign that was posted at the airport and it states that reentry permits can be obtained at any immigration checkpoint (except the airport).

Somebody from immigration needs to go over there and read that sign. Do they not mean what they say?

Logic will not help this thread. Most convoluted questions AND answers I've read on this site...and there have been dillies. Good luck, for that is what it will take to sort through all this gibberish. Sorry I cannot be of help.

I take that back. It might be of help to briefly outline the working logic of Thai Immigration and provincial police with respect to the change of "local reporting," which include applications for re-entry.

The Thai national and local police, as well as Immigration Police are organized for the most part at Provincial levels, and less frequently by larger municipalities. From the standpoint of being able to more readily "track" foreigners, especially those who have broken Thai laws, it is almost a necessity to have incriminating evidence, or the evidence of LOCAL ongoing investigations immediately at hand. It has thus been deemed appropriate to change reporting and application laws and venues to facilitate locating and apprehending possible offenders. Much can happen within a three month period, and not all reporting of residences by foreigners is true and accurate. Immigration authroities do not have the resources to verify each and every 90-day report by visitors or long-time residence of Thailand. While it may pose an added burden to foreigners living in remote areas of provinces, in the long the new laws are protecting you, as much as you might feel them an inconvenience. I know, as a husband of a Thai National and the father of two children, that I would want local authorities to have at their immediate disposal any and all information regarding a foreigner who might be under investigation for child abuse, or as a potential preditor...as one example. The obvious threat of terrorism is another. It is quite conceivable that a foreign offender could go "underground" during any 90-day reporting period, and successfully evade apprehension until perhaps he or she needed a re-entry permit or decided to leave the country for good. Thai law has been tightened on many "fronts" at the increased pressure from foreign governments. Thai law is designed, as it should be, to protect Thai citizens first. We are guests here, and should act accordingly. When residing in the US, my Thai wife, and I as her spouse were required to report to immigration all changes of address. This has been more rigorously enforced since 911. Many immigration laws have changed since then at the prompting of the US and other European nations. I hope this windy attempt at Thai immigration logic might make sense within the narrow confines of this thread. Again, good luck.

While recognising the unfairness racism and time wasting nature of Immi

Compare to Lunar House Croydon (with illegal immigrant cleaners!)

Oz or US immigration etc

We all have better things t spend on but if you really cannot afford 1000baht

which is what breakfast in London a cab from Sydney airport to CBD etc I suggest you plan for a real medical divorce need to fly at last moment scenario.

Nobody has too buy or remain

I know you will lose the visa but no one is trapped if you really had an overseas family emergency funeral etc is maintaining 5700 bahts worth of visa a top priority?

Perhaps I am wrong but I feel there are many people feeling the pinch due to livingof Thai or remitted devalued cash

The Thai economy is heading S and I dont mean Malaysia

Chok Dee

While recognising the unfairness racism and time wasting nature of Immi

Compare to Lunar House Croydon (with illegal immigrant cleaners!)

Oz or US immigration etc

We all have better things t spend on but if you really cannot afford 1000baht

which is what breakfast in London a cab from Sydney airport to CBD etc I suggest you plan for a real medical divorce need to fly at last moment scenario.

Nobody has too buy or remain

I know you will lose the visa but no one is trapped if you really had an overseas family emergency funeral etc is maintaining 5700 bahts worth of visa a top priority?

Perhaps I am wrong but I feel there are many people feeling the pinch due to livingof Thai or remitted devalued cash

The Thai economy is heading S and I dont mean Malaysia

Chok Dee

Well said, this should be moved to "i have the money but want it all free" forum.

Whilst Cambodia is a more difficult country to live in than Thailand, one of the things that keep me here is the freedom from the time-consuming & expensive Thai visa regulations.

One annual fee (for a year's visa), & no leaving the country. Not even a form to fill in. After 18 months here I am still grateful - & keenly remember those needless border runs etc when I lived In Thailand, & all the days wasted in doing them.

I have posted before about renewing my passport, going to Suan Phlu to get the chops restamped in my new passport. They refused to transfer my multi re entry saying that as it was issuied at Swampy it would have to be transferred there BUT no one could tell me where. Last friday I went to swampy and found that the old re entry office was manned but not open. a rather flustered lady told me to go to Samat Prakarn to get it done and after being told to leave I found another immigration Officer wandering around. Told him my problem and he said not a problem, just travel with two passports and use the original valid re entry permit. I explained that the passport holding that re entry permit was cancelled. He simply said no problem Permit is still valid. somehow I dont think I should hold my breath. Will query again at immigration when I depart on tuesday.

What a mess !!

IMHO Thailand's "Laws" have served the "Kingdom" very well.

The whole Visa management issue is NON-SENSE.

Why on Earth any, be it a male or a female who marries a Thai National

is not granted an Automatic Thai Passport is beyond me.

I can understand that there may be situations where marriage is abused

as a means of "living in Thailand"......SIMPLE.....the Thai passport is SURRENDERED.

End of dual Passports.

So all logic is defied, as the benefits that " ex-pats" bring to Thailand monetarily

is phenomenal.

But as many have said, if you dont like what you need to put up with, dont do it.

I love Thailand, as I love my Thai "GF" of 2 years. But we havent married....not yet.

Best wishes to you all, and thanks for your posts which are invaluable.

Is it true that a holder of non-O visa (I have a non-O Thai wife visa) can only get a reentry permit at the immigration office that serves the province he lives in? :D

If true, this will severely impact the ability of resident expats to travel freely at a moments notice. :o

In my case, given that my province does not have an immigration office, it means a 1200 km round trip journey to a city in northern Thailand. :D

If true, it represents yet another "expat unfriendly" immigration rule change. :D

You guys comments about Thai immigration makes me wonder if you have ever lived anywhere else. have you ever tried getting a visa to take your Thai wife abroad? The Austrian Embassy here was the worst followed closely by the Australian Embassy both here and New Zealand where the Australian Consul was a Greek and was abusive when I tried to get an extension for a Thai relative of my wife.

I almost never had problems with immigration in the 45 years I have lived in Thailand.

Visa fees must be the lowest in the world and you pay no income tax. Whereas in most countries if you stay more than 6 months in any year you have to pay tax on your world income.

Simply get your reentry permit with your annual visit to your visa office.

Send your 90 day reports in by EMS - couldn't be easier no need to actually visit immigration.

Some Immigration Offices do not accept reports by post. So some are faced with a long journey every 3 months.

If they happen to be in another part of Thailand for whatever reason at reporting time they are going to have a very long journey.

Actually, I think that you simply need to be proactive. Polite and firm.

You should be able to do mail ins anywhere

As an example I recently moved from Korat to Bangkok. In Korat no problem mail in for 90 day reports.

In Bangkok at Suanplu I was told that it was not possible and that I must come in or have someone come in for me.

I told them that the website said that it was ok and and they then said ok and gave me a printed list of what they wanted in terms of copies. Note they had the printed list all the time they just were reluctant to give it to me.

Is it true that a holder of non-O visa (I have a non-O Thai wife visa) can only get a reentry permit at the immigration office that serves the province he lives in? :D

If true, this will severely impact the ability of resident expats to travel freely at a moments notice. :o

In my case, given that my province does not have an immigration office, it means a 1200 km round trip journey to a city in northern Thailand. :D

If true, it represents yet another "expat unfriendly" immigration rule change. :D

It is true, at least what I experienced. You can also not make the re-entry permit at the airport - which I used to do before. Due to the new regulation and the lack of information given I had to cancel my flight and go to the immigration the day after.

Funny enough, I renewed my visa on the 10th of January. There was no notification given to the change of the regulation on that occasion. On the 15th of January the new regulation came into place. I would have made my re-entry permit if they had told me. Thanks Bangkok Authorities for making a mess out of a perfectly working system.

I guess you're even more F%**& in case your residence is not in Bangkok.

For everybody who needs a re-entry permit: TAKE CARE OF IT BEFORE YOU TRY AND LEAVE THAILAND!!!!

It is true, at least what I experienced. You can also not make the re-entry permit at the airport - which I used to do before. Due to the new regulation and the lack of information given I had to cancel my flight and go to the immigration the day after.

Funny enough, I renewed my visa on the 10th of January. There was no notification given to the change of the regulation on that occasion. On the 15th of January the new regulation came into place. I would have made my re-entry permit if they had told me. Thanks Bangkok Authorities for making a mess out of a perfectly working system.

I guess you're even more F%**& in case your residence is not in Bangkok.

For everybody who needs a re-entry permit: TAKE CARE OF IT BEFORE YOU TRY AND LEAVE THAILAND!!!!

Thanks for letting us know how the rule has caused you a problem (and the airline that you were going to travel on...........and the ticket agent who sold you the ticket in the first place).

I wish people would stop using the word "simple" when talking about a solution to this problem. Many of us have no simple solution to this problem because of where we live and when we renewed our visas.

And don't forget that the vast majority of expats in Thailand probably don't even visit ThaiVisa. They have no idea about what they are going to face when trying to leave the country.

Think about how many times the scenario you just described is about to be played out at the airport in the swamp. Think about the anger and frustration..........and the complaints that will follow.

Maybe we should all complain to the person in charge. Who might that be? Larry? Moe? Curley? Shemp?

You guys comments about Thai immigration makes me wonder if you have ever lived anywhere else. have you ever tried getting a visa to take your Thai wife abroad? The Austrian Embassy here was the worst followed closely by the Australian Embassy both here and New Zealand where the Australian Consul was a Greek and was abusive when I tried to get an extension for a Thai relative of my wife.

I almost never had problems with immigration in the 45 years I have lived in Thailand.

Visa fees must be the lowest in the world and you pay no income tax. Whereas in most countries if you stay more than 6 months in any year you have to pay tax on your world income.

You were lucky.  The Australian Consul was an Indian when my Thai brother in law was refused a tourist visa to Australia 6 years ago.  He had no chance even though he is 50 y.o.and has never been married, has 3 houses in Thailand, no criminal record and a stack of money in the bank.  Never had any trouble with Thai immigration in my 20 years coming and living here.

who marries a Thai National

is not granted an Automatic Thai Passport is beyond me.

A very simplistic comment.....once you have a passport of any country you are a citizen of that particular country and very very difficult to revoke, so thats the reason why anybody who marries a Thai national is not granted an automatic passport.

Does a Thai national marrying a UK citizen automatically get a British passport...like h*ll they do..

Each September me and a friend go to Suan Phlu to get an extension of our retirement visas. We've been on the same cycle for years. I buy a multiple re-entry permit every time and so did he. This time he tells me that if he leaves the country he will just get one at the airport. Of course last week when he is leaving he has a flight Monday at 12:30 PM and says he will get his re-entry permit before takeoff. Obviously he didn't get the memo and I told him about the change last January. An early visit to Suan Phlu is no way to start the day but he had to do it. Needless to say he will be getting the re-entry permit every year when he goes for his retirement visa extension.

Everyone should get at least buy one re-entry in case of an emergency. Common sense.

I went to Ayuttaya immigration today for a re-entry permit. The man gave me one but not before telling me I should go to Nong Khai for my next one as you must get all your re-entry permits at the place in which you got your visa extension, the place where they have you on file. Yes, the simple solution is to purchase a multi-entry visa when I extend next month, which I will do; however, it appears this new procedure is inconvenient and expensive.

Why oh why did they shut down the airport office???

So with more and more technology and even some people who know how to use them, the Thais have once again managed to screw up a system which worked and turn it into one which works less well.

Why all this cannot be handled by local plod I do not know.

I went to Ayuttaya immigration today for a re-entry permit. The man gave me one but not before telling me I should go to Nong Khai for my next one as you must get all your re-entry permits at the place in which you got your visa extension, the place where they have you on file. Yes, the simple solution is to purchase a multi-entry visa when I extend next month, which I will do; however, it appears this new procedure is inconvenient and expensive.

Why oh why did they shut down the airport office???

U just said something interesting, if true: "...not before telling me...........you must get all your re-entry permits at the place in which you got your visa extension."

So, moderators, which statement is correct?

1) Re-entry permits are issued only at the place in which you got your last visa extension

2) Re-entry permits are issued only at the immigration office serving your province

If #1 is true, I am "saved" because I got my last visa extension in Bangkok right before these changes happened (but I don't live in the area).

If #2 is true, I am screwed.........1200 km round trip to the moon to get the permit.......along with wasting money and two days (extremely inconvenient).

I'm no expert, but the immigration officer said he didn't have my file. According to what I was told, you must go to the office where your file is located, meaning where you did all your visa paperwork. Maybe immigration is assuming you will do that in the province where you live or in the province where nearest you live.

...So, moderators, which statement is correct?

1) Re-entry permits are issued only at the place in which you got your last visa extension

2) Re-entry permits are issued only at the immigration office serving your province

If #1 is true, I am "saved" because I got my last visa extension in Bangkok right before these changes happened (but I don't live in the area).

If #2 is true, I am screwed.........1200 km round trip to the moon to get the permit.......along with wasting money and two days (extremely inconvenient).

You are supposed to apply at the immigration office designated for the area where you live on the day of you application. If you moved address since you last got your extension of stay, you apply where you live now, not where you lived in the past when you got your extension.

Is the immigration office for the area where you live now really 1,200 km from your residence?

--

Maestro

Funny thing about your file supposedly being sent from your original office to the newly designated office.

I did my first extension at Thali in February this year after being granted Retirement Status at Korat in March last year.

I noticed during this procedure in Thali that the officer did not have any previous file or correspondence about me whatsoever.

When I asked if anything had been sent from Korat, she said we don't really need it to do an extension?

Whole thing was done very quickly and just as friendly as Korat.

Begs the question then what is so important as to needing an area dependent office to do re-entry's!

...So, moderators, which statement is correct?

You are supposed to apply at the immigration office designated for the area where you live on the day of you application. If you moved address since you last got your extension of stay, you apply where you live now, not where you lived in the past when you got your extension.

Is the immigration office for the area where you live now really 1,200 km from your residence?

--

Maestro

With regard to your question: I don't know precisely how far it is......but looking at the map my guess is that it is 500 to 600 km (one way) from where we live.

We live a few hours north of Bangkok.....not far from Saraburi. If they allowed us to do so, we could take a short trip to Ayuthaya Immigration Office.

But no......we have to travel all the way to the northern border with Myanmar for a permit........by bus it will likely take 10-18 hours depending on the number of stops.

My case aside, the fact remains that many expats are in a similar position. Consider yourself lucky if your assigned immigration office is near you.l

Thank you for the explanation. I didn’t realise that one’s assigned immigration office could be so far. It really makes no sense to make people travel such distances.

I can’t even find Saraburi and Ayudhya mentioned in the translation of Order 38/2552 of the Immigration Bureau. That list, and presumably also the original Thai text, seems to be useless to some extent.

--

Maestro

Thank you for the explanation. I didn’t realise that one’s assigned immigration office could be so far. It really makes no sense to make people travel such distances.

I can’t even find Saraburi and Ayudhya mentioned in the translation of Order 38/2552 of the Immigration Bureau. That list, and presumably also the original Thai text, seems to be useless to some extent.

--

Maestro

Ayuthaya.........think I have it right now. I just found a site allows people to calculate driving distance between cities in Thailand.

I live close to Lopburi and will have to go to a destination northeast of Chiang Rai to get a permit....near the Myanmar border.

The calculated distance is about 554 km, one way.

So I will have to travel a distance of 1108 km just for a reentry permit.

I think there is an immigration office in Ayuthaya.....much closer to Lopburi.

This is so convenient! "No problem farang." :o