Thai Banks To Start Charging For Atm Withdrawals ...

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the first time that this has been reported for Bangkok Bank, they were one of the first to give the 150 THB warning

Unfortunately since you did not give us the amount your took out there is no way for us to be sure whether or not the charge was "hidden" in

the exchange rate, but it sounds like it since the dollar usually only drops or rises a couple of santangs (sic) a day

"Charge 150" clearly shown on Bangkok Bank ATM receipt and added to amount withdrawn.

Edited by InterestedObserver

1816pm. all's well. same banks are charging, same banks not charging. that is all. carry on.

Getting off topic, i.e., leaving the ATM machine for an alternative solution, the counter:

In over-the-counter transactions, Kasikorn is free but limited to 20k, SCB is free and limited to 200-250k and Ayudhya add a swingeing 3% cut and limited to 100k.

If we're talking SCB = Siam Commercial Bank (and not Siam City Bank), you pay nearly 4% to use their over the counter feature, as was discussed early in this thread.

More input on over the counter comparisons would be enlightening, I believe, as the real meaning of this thread should be: avoiding the 150 bt ATM fee.

That is all.

The Mrs bumped into the postman today he told her he as mail from the UK for her as she wasn't in Saturday so i should be able to post confirmation of a possible 4th bank to the fee free list.

Anyone know how to get their Logo i can only see it on the Tab button when on their website be handy to post this so as to recognise it.

For those who missed the post about this bank its name is Bank for Agriculture and Agricultural Cooperatives

http://www.baac.or.th/baac_en/index.php

1816pm. all's well. same banks are charging, same banks not charging. that is all. carry on.

Getting off topic, i.e., leaving the ATM machine for an alternative solution, the counter:

In over-the-counter transactions, Kasikorn is free but limited to 20k, SCB is free and limited to 200-250k and Ayudhya add a swingeing 3% cut and limited to 100k.

If we're talking SCB = Siam Commercial Bank (and not Siam City Bank), you pay nearly 4% to use their over the counter feature, as was discussed early in this thread.

More input on over the counter comparisons would be enlightening, I believe, as the real meaning of this thread should be: avoiding the 150 bt ATM fee.

That is all.

Why is posting about alternative ideas to the use of ATM off topic isn't that the point of a tread like this? think some on here like to much control. :) best to ignore them.

I personally have found some very good advise from this thread like how to save fee's in the UK on swift transfers i'm sure others agree.

Nationwide will start to pass on visa's 0.84% fee from June 1st 2009 and then from July 1st 2009 this will increase to 1%.

As mentioned many time's in this tread there is no charge if you apply for or have the Nationwide Flexaccount CASH CARD using the cirrus (Mastercard) network,not the Visa debit card, its Visa that charge this 1% fee & Nationwide have decided to pass it on.

You cannot get a Nationwide Cash Card if you already have a Flexaccount - see their web site.

Nationwide will start to pass on visa's 0.84% fee from June 1st 2009 and then from July 1st 2009 this will increase to 1%.

As mentioned many time's in this tread there is no charge if you apply for or have the Nationwide Flexaccount CASH CARD using the cirrus (Mastercard) network,not the Visa debit card, its Visa that charge this 1% fee & Nationwide have decided to pass it on.

You cannot get a Nationwide Cash Card if you already have a Flexaccount - see their web site.

Others have posted on here that they have successfully applied for a 2nd even a 3rd account.

Also my post regard a good family member opening the cash card for you like my Daughter did for me.

CHASE already charges me $3 USD per withdraw from here, now add 150 baht on top of that... So I'm hit with roughly $7 USD per ATM withdraw. I usually do one large withdraw a week so that adds $16 a month, $192 or so per year to my budget.

It's not the end of the world but dam_n. :)

It's still cheaper than an international wire transfer. :D

CHASE already charges me $3 USD per withdraw from here, now add 150 baht on top of that... So I'm hit with roughly $7 USD per ATM withdraw. I usually do one large withdraw a week so that adds $16 a month, $192 or so per year to my budget.

It's not the end of the world but dam_n. :)

It's still cheaper than an international wire transfer. :D

But there are many Free ATM's all over Thailand at the moment just read over the last few pages to confirm the Banks in question. :D

For those who aren't into reading all the posts that get put up here... here's the simple bottom line...

YOU DON'T NEED TO PAY 150 BAHT EVERY TIME YOU USE A NON-THAI ATM CARD TO WITHDRAW FUNDS IN THAILAND

Thus far, Kasikorn Bank (green), Bank of Ayudhya (yellow) and Government Savings Bank (pink) all remain fee-free, along with possibly some other smaller bank companies.

Just took 20k from kasikorn bank , still no fee ....

But the thing now is which of the banks give anually the best exchange rate ?

Kasikorn or Ayudhya ?

Probably very similar , but before Siam and Bangkok Bank gave a better exchange rate then the former mentioned ,

thats why perhaps they don't feel to charge the extra fee , especially on a larger amount ...

Edited by tijnebijn

In all the controlled tests that I have done all banks have given the same rate for the same card, the difference appears to be at the "home" bank and the rate they give

This then disproves the theory that Kasikorn, Government Savings Bank, and Bank of Ayudhya are making up the fee based upon the rates that they give

Yes she should be able to recognise that sign thanks, I'll let her no straight away, the post I replied to was on page 2, there were 25 pages at the time which is prity time consuming to read, my reply just happened to drop below the post stating which banks are not charging still, so thanks for your sarcastic reply, you have been very helpfull my friend, its obvious you are a Barclays Banker youself :D:):D:D

fp - apologies for any sarcasm :D

I must have been drinking :D - and yes, I was/have been/am a "banker" most of my life :D

to anyone who has posted on this topic.

im sorry but i can not believe that people can get 26 pages of comments in nearly a month over loosing a MEASLY 150 baht ( 3 quid english about 6 dollars US ) on an ATM withdrawall

i always draw 10.000 baht every time i want any money ( about 3 / 4 times a month ) and the last time i looked it was around 200 quid !

so now i will get about 197 quid !

i cant and dont see how so many people can get so excited about loosing the aproximate cost of ONE ferang meal.

if loosing 3 quid is so much of a problem to so many ? .... cambodias much cheaper to live in than thailand : )

enjoy ..... dave2

The following is the Nationwide's response to two questions.

1. Can I increase the card withdrawal limit from GBP 300 to GBP 500.

2. Can I have a 'cash card' rather than a debit card.

Thank you for your message.

I confirm that we are unable to offer you an increased card limit on your ATM withdrawals.

We do not offer a Mastercard, however we do offer a cash card FlexAccount which has the Cirrus logo. If you no longer wish to have the VISA Debit card, you can arrange at your local branch to have your account downgraded.

However, I must bring to your attention, that if you were to downgrade your account, you would no longer be able to have an overdraft facility and the card could not be used to make VISA purchases.

In all the controlled tests that I have done all banks have given the same rate for the same card, the difference appears to be at the "home" bank and the rate they give

This then disproves the theory that Kasikorn, Government Savings Bank, and Bank of Ayudhya are making up the fee based upon the rates that they give

Ah well then this theory falls out , I only looked at the exchange rates given at the counter ,

they are for cash and traveller cheques apparently and only .

I'm not using visa but Maestro and thought I saw a difference in the past taking money

out at two different banks the same day , but I might be mistaken , cause of different circumstances .

to anyone who has posted on this topic.

im sorry but i can not believe that people can get 26 pages of comments in nearly a month over loosing a MEASLY 150 baht ( 3 quid english about 6 dollars US ) on an ATM withdrawall

i always draw 10.000 baht every time i want any money ( about 3 / 4 times a month ) and the last time i looked it was around 200 quid !

so now i will get about 197 quid !

i cant and dont see how so many people can get so excited about loosing the aproximate cost of ONE ferang meal.

if loosing 3 quid is so much of a problem to so many ? .... cambodias much cheaper to live in than thailand : )

enjoy ..... dave2

It is because 150 Baht is an excessive charge in a country where so many people only earn that much in a day.

Many people, quite sensibly, do not want to carry too much cash and prefer to withdraw smaller amounts. If someone withdraws 2000 Baht, they would be charged 7.5%.

Tell me, if the banks had introduced a scheme that a foreigner had to pay 7,000 Baht per year to allow them to use their card in a Thai ATM, would you say, "It's only a measly 7,000 baht" and happily hand it over?

If you make 4 withdrawals per month, you will be throwing away over 7,000 Baht in a year

Edited by loong

Problem found with the New 150THB ATM Fee: All of the Kasikorn ATMs are running out of cash! It appears they can't refill the Farang Friendly ATMs fast enough leaving many with the inability to withdrawal fee-free. Yesterday I experienced 3 K-Bank ATMs all out of cash, never before have I seen this. Even went to a shabby looking Ayudha ATM and it too was out. :)

Problem found with the New 150THB ATM Fee: All of the Kasikorn ATMs are running out of cash! It appears they can't refill the Farang Friendly ATMs fast enough leaving many with the inability to withdrawal fee-free. Yesterday I experienced 3 K-Bank ATMs all out of cash, never before have I seen this. Even went to a shabby looking Ayudha ATM and it too was out. :)

Thank goodness my in-laws are in the predominently farang free zone of Phatthalung.

Just incase no one reads the Bangkok Post..from today...someone speak with forked tongue...

Banks asked to cut foreigners' ATM fees

By: SOMRUEDI BANCHONGDUANG

Published: 4/05/2009 at 12:00 AM

Newspaper section: BusinessThe Thai Bankers' Association will ask local banks to cut fee charges for foreign cardholders using local ATMs, according to association secretary-general Twatchai Yongkittikul.

He said the TBA would hold talks among its members about current fees.

But he cautioned that any cuts would likely be marginal, as most of the fees represented charges imposed for international network access and simply passed on to end-users.

Since mid-April, foreign cardholders withdrawing funds from local ATMs have been charged 150 baht per transaction.

Dr Twatchai said the fee largely came from new transaction charges imposed by international service providers MasterCard Worldwide and Visa Worldwide to cover interchange network costs.

Local banks, which had previously absorbed the expenses, are now looking to pass on their own operating expenses to customers, arguing that the fees charged in Thailand are in line with expenses charged for cross-border ATM transactions in other countries.

Dr Twatchai acknowledged that a number of foreign tourists and expatriates had complained about the added fees.

At a minimum, he said, local banks should communicate better with customers about the expenses banks incur for processing international transactions.

"Local banks should give more information about fees on the ATM screen, and then customers can make their own choice about whether to continue with the transaction," Dr Twatchai said.

"The TBA will try to raise awareness about the issue. Unfortunately, right now many foreign customers have a negative view of local banks due to the fee issue."

But a MasterCard spokesman denied that the 150-baht ATM access fee imposed by many Thai banks stemmed from any recent fee change or initiative by the company. The spokesman said MasterCard last notified member banks in October 2007 about a 0.2-percentage-point increase in fees effective from January 2008 under cross-border agreements. Since then, no other fee increases have been made related to ATM charges.

There are a few of things to consider here though:

- It was a Sunday which is normally a very busy banking day for most.

- Payday was on the 1st for most Thai Salaried employees so ATMs are used more frequently.

- There are 2 holidays this week (Coronation Day and Visahka Bucha).

- These ATMs were located in a Central shopping center.

However even before this weekend, I have steadily noticed an increase in K-Bank ATMs running out or low on cash. More so then before the ATM fee went into affect. :)

Thanks John45 for being the eagle eye and reporting the Bangkok Post story

Interesting that only NOW, over two weeks since the fee went into effect is the Bangkok Post reporting it

khunjake once again thank you for you report and insight. It will be interesting to see what this week brings

loong

i see your point but .

quote 1 ..... It is because 150 Baht is an excessive charge in a country where so many people only earn that much in a day.

quote 1 .... so many people only earn that much in a day ... aggreed ... thais ....

but im not thai and i dont earn anything a day and never will again.

to me 150 baht is the cost of one meal which is no great loss.

quote 2 .... Many people, quite sensibly, do not want to carry too much cash and prefer to withdraw smaller amounts.

Many people, quite sensibly ......quite sensibly ... ughhh ?....,. what ?

in thailand you could probably carry fifty thousand baht around every day for a year and NEVER EVER be threatend or risk being mugged by a thai ( by a ferang with a my atm card has died can you lend me some money untill monday story ? ) YES ... but a thai .... NEVER !

quote3 .... Many people, quite sensibly, do not want to carry too much cash !

in england i would aggree with that 100 % today .

but in thailand having 10.000 baht in your pocket day or night 24 / 7 ANYWHERE in thailand im 99 % sure it is NEVER going to leave your pocket untill you spend it !

with respect for your opinion ...... but im still not getting excited about loosing 150 baht and if im not eating 3 or 4 times a month i might loose some weight :)

the smokings gone after 45 years .... now for some weight : )

dave2

Withdrew cash from a UOB ATM yesterday with my HSBC (MC/Cirrus) Singapore card and it's still fee-free, as I reported before, so there are four banks, not three, which do not charge. Still allows THB 30,000 per transaction too; more than any other bank afaik. Not a particularly small bank either: at least four branches in Chiangmai.

CMMCB