Taking Meat Into Thailand

johnathome

Hi guys,

First post although i've been reading for a couple of weeks.

I'm coming to CM in a couple of weeks to visit a friend who lives in Doi Saket(?), he's picking me up from the airport so actual address i don't need to know at the mo.

He tells me he's missing sausages and bacon as there not the same over there.

I was going to bring some in with me but looking at Thai custom info no meat products are allowed in from any EU countries. Is this still valid does anyone know?

I understand meat from New Zealand is ok, so do you think it would be ok if i found some that said 'packaged in NZ' on the label??

I realise the penaltys are quite bad for 'smuggling', i don't want to risk a big fine or worse case scenario, be refused entry.

Is there anywhere to buy proper english sausages and bacon over there and do they taste the same as stuff in Blighty.

Sorry for all the questions on my first post.

Regards

John

I wouldn't risk it. You could never bring enough over to be of much use anyway. There are a few high end grocery stores that import goods from all around the globe. It's more expensive than home though.

I wouldn't risk it. You could never bring enough over to be of much use anyway. There are a few high end grocery stores that import goods from all around the globe. It's more expensive than home though.

Try MAKRO wholesale supermarket. Imported meat about same price back home also great sausages

I have allways bacon, sausages and cheese with me from Sweden, and never had a problem, I bring a lot of difrent food, like dried mushroms etc.and no one cares.quote name='johnathome' date='2009-04-08 00:22:57' post='2647359']

Hi guys,

First post although i've been reading for a couple of weeks.

I'm coming to CM in a couple of weeks to visit a friend who lives in Doi Saket(?), he's picking me up from the airport so actual address i don't need to know at the mo.

He tells me he's missing sausages and bacon as there not the same over there.

I was going to bring some in with me but looking at Thai custom info no meat products are allowed in from any EU countries. Is this still valid does anyone know?

I understand meat from New Zealand is ok, so do you think it would be ok if i found some that said 'packaged in NZ' on the label??

I realise the penaltys are quite bad for 'smuggling', i don't want to risk a big fine or worse case scenario, be refused entry.

Is there anywhere to buy proper english sausages and bacon over there and do they taste the same as stuff in Blighty.

Sorry for all the questions on my first post.

Regards

John

Yes you can now buy decent sausages and bacon here.Rimping chain of supermarkets sell a brand called Sausage King.Also Tuskers have started to sell their products as well.The bacon and sausages are as good as you will buy back in UK.When my children fly over here to see me they always bring a selection of fresh foods with them.No too sure if it is legal.

Quite frankly I would do it (bring in meat & sausage etc)

Thailand is not really at the cutting edge of agricultural bovine technology or excellence (is it)

It is not as if you were taking the same products into NZ, Australia, Argentina, US of A, Canada, UK, is it.

And have you ever seen someone remotely looking like a MAF (ministry of ag & fish) with sniffer dog at any of Thailand's airports.

In fact I have never seen a dog of any description checking incoming baggage.

Most of the bad stuff (drugs etc) are being exported aren't they.

Edited by john b good

Thanks for the replies.

Two say yes do it, one says no.

Hmmm not sure what to do now, could risk it and go through the green channel i guess, just wondering what the penalty would be if i got caught. Customs info says up to 10 years in jail and a 40,000 Baht fine.

If i can buy him some imported stuff thats as good i might do that. At the end of the day it's up to me i guess.

Could always put it in the wifes case and deny all knowledge :o (jk)