Retirement Visa / Re-entry Query

Hi TV people,

My first question is: on a retirement visa, do I need exit / re-entry permits? I think I do but please read on.

Second question is: am I guilty of overstay?

I have held a retirement “extensions of stay" in Thailand for the past six years. Since then I have only left LOS once in 2004 until last year after a medical trauma. I was successfully treated in BKK and wheel-chaired through Swampi to UK with my daughter in attendance. I returned after three months (the last day my 3 mth airline ticket expired) and got back fine (through the diplomat’s line…good old wheelchair).

I simply cannot remember obtaining an exit / re-entry visa. It was definitely not at Soi Suan Plu. I was pretty much a basket case and my memory of most of that time period is blurred. The exit application may have been done at the airport, but I do not recall.

I am preparing to renew my retirement visa again, so I checked my passport closely.

It contains a TM.6 which is called a departure card dated 10 Aug 2008, but that was the day I arrived back in Thailand. The stamp alongside it says “admitted 10 Aug 2008” and then “admitted until 8 Sept 2008”. My passport however also contains my “retirement” stamp dated 8 May 2008 saying “extension of stay permitted until 9 May 2009”.

Mai khow chai, khrap. I hope you can enlighten me.

Thairet

Hi TV people,

My first question is: on a retirement visa, do I need exit / re-entry permits? I think I do but please read on.

Second question is: am I guilty of overstay?

I have held a retirement “extensions of stay" in Thailand for the past six years. Since then I have only left LOS once in 2004 until last year after a medical trauma. I was successfully treated in BKK and wheel-chaired through Swampi to UK with my daughter in attendance. I returned after three months (the last day my 3 mth airline ticket expired) and got back fine (through the diplomat’s line…good old wheelchair).

I simply cannot remember obtaining an exit / re-entry visa. It was definitely not at Soi Suan Plu. I was pretty much a basket case and my memory of most of that time period is blurred. The exit application may have been done at the airport, but I do not recall.

I am preparing to renew my retirement visa again, so I checked my passport closely.

It contains a TM.6 which is called a departure card dated 10 Aug 2008, but that was the day I arrived back in Thailand. The stamp alongside it says “admitted 10 Aug 2008” and then “admitted until 8 Sept 2008”. My passport however also contains my “retirement” stamp dated 8 May 2008 saying “extension of stay permitted until 9 May 2009”.

Mai khow chai, khrap. I hope you can enlighten me.

Thairet

It looks as though you have been on overstay since 9th September. You better go and get it sorted out before you get arrested put in jail and deported.

The fine is 20,000 Baht.

It may be the best to get a cheap international flight. Pay the fine at the airport when leaving and return. Or get a Visa from a Consulate and start the Retirement process all over again.

Are you sure that there is not a Re Entry Permit in your passport?. It takes up a whole page. You cannot miss it.

From the information given, you are on overstay since 9 September 2008. If I were you I'd go straight to the airport, pay the 20,000 Baht maximum overstay fine, and fly to Penang for a new visa. Take your bank book and pension confirmation letter, if applicable, to show them your financial means.

Edited by InterestedObserver

Thank-you all, looks like I really screwed up. A few more questions if I may:

1. If I pay the fine, get out for a few days on an exit visa and renew my entry visa outside LOS, is my current retirement extension still valid and renewable?

2. What do I do at Swampi to admit overstay and get a re-entry…is there a dedicated office? Or do I go to Soi Suan Pluh to get exit / re-entry and will they fine me there?

3. Should I play dumb, go for my retirement extension renewal with my normal paperwork at Soi Suan Pluh, fall on their mercy as they will no doubt discover overstay and just happen to have 20000 baht in my pocket?

Comments1. “Interested Observer”, did you mean go to Penang to apply for a new retirement visa? You said to take bank book etc. I thought one had to be in-Kingdom to apply for ret extension.

Comments2. “Lite Beer”, I cannot see a re-entry stamp.

Thanks, Thairet

You will need to leave the country and apply for a visa again. Just go to the airport and fly out to a neighbouring country. Immigration will notice the overstay and send you to another desk, where you have to pay your fine. Unlikely they will wave it.

Do as interested observer said and don't forget the documents to get a new visa abroad. You will apply for a non-immigrant "O" visa, based on retirement. (The first time you might had a a OA longstay visa, that one you can only get in your home country/country of residence. There is no problem getting a non-O)

You will need to leave the country and apply for a visa again. Just go to the airport and fly out to a neighbouring country. Immigration will notice the overstay and send you to another desk, where you have to pay your fine. Unlikely they will wave it.

Do as interested observer said and don't forget the documents to get a new visa abroad. You will apply for a non-immigrant "O" visa, based on retirement. (The first time you might had a a OA longstay visa, that one you can only get in your home country/country of residence. There is no problem getting a non-O)

Mario, thank you. Sorry to be pedantic but can you answer these two questions from my second post?

2. What do I do at Swampi to admit overstay and get a re-entry…is there a dedicated office? Or do I go to Soi Suan Pluh to get exit / re-entry and will they fine me there?

3. Should I play dumb, go for my retirement extension renewal with my normal paperwork at Soi Suan Pluh, fall on their mercy as they will no doubt discover overstay and just happen to have 20000 baht in my pocket?

Also, in 2002 I sent my passport with an agency and got a tourist visa from Penang without me having to leave LOS. Could an agency (the one I used has gone, but there are others) pay my fine on my behalf, renew my visa etc, so I can start my retirement extension application over again. The reason is I am still physically quite f****d up and both walking and travelling is a trial of pain.

Thanks, Thairet

Whatever you do don't go to Suan Phlu.

Just go through Immigration at the airport . They will see your overstay and point you in the right direction to pay.

What you did in 2002 is highly illegal and would get you arrested. Do not try that.

Go to the airport and pay the fine. Then iether come back and get a 30 day entry or go to a Consulate and get a Visa. Preferably a Non O Visa, but a Tourist Visa will do and start the retirement extension all over again when you return. Bearing in mind that the consulates will be closed for much of next week.

You are on overstay - you can not obtain a re-entry permit. As said you must exit the country and pay the overstay fine. Then it would be best to obtain a non immigrant O visa (on trip) to start your retirement application again (will not have to convert in country and have more time to get things ready).

Whatever you do don't go to Suan Phlu.

Just go through Immigration at the airport . They will see your overstay and point you in the right direction to pay.

What you did in 2002 is highly illegal and would get you arrested. Do not try that.

Go to the airport and pay the fine. Then iether come back and get a 30 day entry or go to a Consulate and get a Visa. Preferably a Non O Visa, but a Tourist Visa will do and start the retirement extension all over again when you return. Bearing in mind that the consulates will be closed for much of next week.

Thanks so much Lite Beer, I get the message (both). Muchos Gracias, Thairet

You are on overstay - you can not obtain a re-entry permit. As said you must exit the country and pay the overstay fine. Then it would be best to obtain a non immigrant O visa (on trip) to start your retirement application again (will not have to convert in country and have more time to get things ready).

Thanks Lopburi, will do in Penang, Thairet