Ext For Non Imm O (marriage)

Yesterday (9-4-2009) My wife and I traveled from Saraburi to Soi Suan Plu to submit my 14th application for extension of my Non-Imm O Visa, based on marriage to a Thai national.

Having read the relevant posts on TV, I took all the original documents and Photo copies that were required for a first time extension. On arrival I collected my ticket number and went to the ground floor office, The lady who we normally see gave us a Form headed 13 years (in Thai) and directed us upstairs to the 5th floor, room 509.

There it was explained that the Central districts other than Bangkok itself are now dealt with in that office, however while waiting I did overhear a couple of first time applicants being told to use their nearest Immigration office in those cases it was Ayuthaya. Other "regulars" were told they could use their nearest office or continue at Soi Suan Plu in room 509. The officer went through all the documents very carefully and asked for photo copies of both the Thai marriage documents. The marriage certificate "Kor Ror 3" and the accompanying details document "Kor Ror 2", which fortunately I took but haven't been asked for in the last 13 years!

Due to the falling value of the Pound sterling my pension income from the UK had also fallen just below the B40,000 level,

however the wife had made some phone calls and said providing we showed a certified bank balance of (in our case) B150,000 as well as the letter from the British Embassy certifying my UK pensions income there should not be a problem.

needless to say I was not my usual calm and collected self during the proceedings!

When all the documents had been inspected my wife was given the form headed "13 years" to sign, she noted that my income had been entered as B50,000 a month. My passport was stamped with the usual "application under consideration" and I have to return in Mid-May for the outcome (either refusal or Stamp).

Whether I have been "Grandfathered" in this case I don't know, Next year I'm also eligible for the UK State pension so hopefully I wont drop below the requisite B40,000 again!

I would however urge everybody to take all the required paperwork, Maps and photos, and be prepared to jump through the hoops with a smile on your face! Do that and you too may find the the hard pressed Immigration officers are not inflexible.

Other things of note on my visit to Soi Suan Plu, we sat next to Jonas (the singer) and his sister Christy in the waiting area, so even they don't get preferential treatment! Also we arrived at the Victory Monument for our return journey, just as the Red shirt Taxi drivers blockaded the roads there (No comment).

What is this '13 years' form? Never heard of this before!

No I have never seen anything similar before, the wife has had to sign a form every year to the effect that everything is OK on previous extensions but I would have noticed if it had been headed with the number of years!

In retrospect I suspect it may be some sort of "Handover certificate" from downstairs to room 509?

Nibor.

So, room 509 doesn't affect those who live in BKK city and extend at SS Plu?

Correct, those people who live in The Bangkok metropolitan area continue as before, as I said in my original post room 509 deals with the 7 or 8 Changwats of the central region as listed in Soi Suan Plu and various posts on TV.

Nibor.

• 1 month later...
Yesterday (9-4-2009) My wife and I traveled from Saraburi to Soi Suan Plu to submit my 14th application for extension of my Non-Imm O Visa, based on marriage to a Thai national.

Having read the relevant posts on TV, I took all the original documents and Photo copies that were required for a first time extension. On arrival I collected my ticket number and went to the ground floor office, The lady who we normally see gave us a Form headed 13 years (in Thai) and directed us upstairs to the 5th floor, room 509.

There it was explained that the Central districts other than Bangkok itself are now dealt with in that office, however while waiting I did overhear a couple of first time applicants being told to use their nearest Immigration office in those cases it was Ayuthaya. Other "regulars" were told they could use their nearest office or continue at Soi Suan Plu in room 509. The officer went through all the documents very carefully and asked for photo copies of both the Thai marriage documents. The marriage certificate "Kor Ror 3" and the accompanying details document "Kor Ror 2", which fortunately I took but haven't been asked for in the last 13 years!

Due to the falling value of the Pound sterling my pension income from the UK had also fallen just below the B40,000 level,

however the wife had made some phone calls and said providing we showed a certified bank balance of (in our case) B150,000 as well as the letter from the British Embassy certifying my UK pensions income there should not be a problem.

needless to say I was not my usual calm and collected self during the proceedings!

When all the documents had been inspected my wife was given the form headed "13 years" to sign, she noted that my income had been entered as B50,000 a month. My passport was stamped with the usual "application under consideration" and I have to return in Mid-May for the outcome (either refusal or Stamp).

Whether I have been "Grandfathered" in this case I don't know, Next year I'm also eligible for the UK State pension so hopefully I wont drop below the requisite B40,000 again!

I would however urge everybody to take all the required paperwork, Maps and photos, and be prepared to jump through the hoops with a smile on your face! Do that and you too may find the the hard pressed Immigration officers are not inflexible.

Other things of note on my visit to Soi Suan Plu, we sat next to Jonas (the singer) and his sister Christy in the waiting area, so even they don't get preferential treatment! Also we arrived at the Victory Monument for our return journey, just as the Red shirt Taxi drivers blockaded the roads there (No comment).

Hi. Just to let you know:

I have now received my extension stamp in my passport, I reported to Soi Suan Plu and was directed upstairs again to room 509. Presented my passport and received an extension stamp for 11 months as my passport expires next March!

For some reason I thought that having over 6 months validity to my passport would be OK, and that I could transfer the remainder to my new passport when I renewed this one. Not so, I learned to my cost. I was told that if I presented a new passport within the next 2 weeks I could have the extra month, but as the new date gets me clear of Songkran I'll leave it as it is.

So, it is possible to get a combination of the rule "or 40.000 income, or 400.000 in the bank"?

Or would this be 'not official policy'?

So, it is possible to get a combination of the rule "or 40.000 income, or 400.000 in the bank"?

It is not official policy. They may be using the flexability they have according to the rules to do it.

I don't think somebody that was doing their first extension would get it.

How long have you been getting extensions?

Never seen a combination before. The rule is 400,000 in the bank OR 40,000 a month. And it has to be your money.

This is the rule.

(6) In case of marriage with a Thai lady, the husband who is an alien must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit in a local Thai bank of not less than 400,000 baht for the past 2 months for expenses within a year.

The rule is 400,000 in the bank OR 40,000 a month.

The reality is whatever the immigration wants to enforce.

I had a few million baht in my Thai bank when applying for my first extention two years ago. The Nong Khai immigration guy asked for proof of working and I told him I didn't work -- I was retired. He said I wasn't old enough to retire as I was 42. I politely told him I was retired and received a monthly pension. He demanded I show him my proof of pension -- which I didn't have. I did have a pension statement, my retired ID card and other documents, but no letter from the Embassy as I understood the rule to beith either, or. I did show him my bank account and certified letter from my Thai bank showing the required deposits.

No proof of pension, no visa. I got a fifteen day extension -- go immediately to Embassy in BKK to get proof of pension.

Nothing OR about it. Sometimes it's AND.

Keep your expectations very low and you might not be disappointed.

Edited by Texpat

"3. Nong Khai is a notoriously unfriendly Immigration Office."

The post that generated this reply was something that happened two years ago.

Hopefully the posting from the last couple of months are showing a positive trend for the better.

My personal experience recently was also positive.

Being a glass half full kind of guy, I'd change that statement to;

Nong Khai WAS a notoriously unfriendly Immigration Office.

I hope time proves this out.

Nong Khai WAS a notoriously unfriendly Immigration Office.

I hope time proves this out.

I was there 2 weeks ago for the first time. I was only applying for a Re Entry Permit. While I had no problem with the officer who dealt with me, others were having all sorts of problems with this appalling woman who was barking orders at them.

Compared with Korat I found the atmosphere intimidating. I look forward to my next visit. :)

It is not official policy. They may be using the flexability they have according to the rules to do it.

I don't think somebody that was doing their first extension would get it.

How long have you been getting extensions?

It was my first extension. This probably explains it.

I had 400.000 in the bank but only 38.000/m salary so the officer told me there could be a problem re. my WP (he implied that I couldn't get an WP extension if earning less than 40.000), gave me 30 days under consideration and told me to come back in 2 weeks with more documents (letter from co. stating position, work period and salary).

After 2 weeks, he didn't really look at the new info (had no salary statement in letter), told me to wait and gave me 11 months more.

Today, I'm applying for 1 year WP.

It was my first extension. This probably explains it.

I had 400.000 in the bank but only 38.000/m salary so the officer told me there could be a problem re. my WP (he implied that I couldn't get an WP extension if earning less than 40.000), gave me 30 days under consideration and told me to come back in 2 weeks with more documents (letter from co. stating position, work period and salary).

If you had the 400K in the bank for the length of time required you did not need to show your salary. This was a case of providing to much information.

There is no minimum salary for the work permit that I know of. Immigration sets the minimum salary for employment extensions (but not teachers) and it varies (25K to 50K) by what country you are from.

I have read a report where a member from India had to use the employment extension instead of marriage because his salary was less than 40K.

I have read a report where a member from India had to use the employment extension instead of marriage because his salary was less than 40K.

My case was the opposite. I had to use the marriage extension because salary was below 40.000 and so could not get employment extension. The officer involved in my case stated that if you apply for a 1 year extension based on marriage while working, he still needed salary and function statements and P.NG.D.1, P.Ng.D.91

Maybe he was trying to tell me something (that I obviously didn't understand).

Anyway, got the extension and he even saved me 750 baht (for WP renewal) by awarding the 11 months long before the first 30 days (under consideration) expired.

BTW for the 1 year WP renewal (is extension the same?) you need:

- Form WP2

- Copy of company registration certificate, including objectives.

- Copy of shareholders list.

- Income year end report ( Por Ngor Dor.1,50,51 and 90,91 ) with payment slips

- Letter of employment

- Audited accounts

- Letter of power of attorney (not if you do it yourself, I guess)

- Work permit

- Copy of front page of passport and visa.

- The proof of payment paid toward the Social Security Fund.

- Organization chart

- Map of place of business.

Edited by ivowatson