Do You Hate Songkran?

Neeranam

Songkran if for idiots with no brains.

It's senseless, idiotic and hypocritical. Thais hate also it but won't admit it.

All the positive comments come from tourists and suckers.

That includes the poor suckers that go back home to Issan to pay and support "Mama/Papa" and money for the buffaloe!

I hate it, hate it and hate it.

278 people dead and over 3000 severely injured, now what kind of celebration is that?

To all the suckers that pay 120 baht a warm beer on walking street...? Enjoy,and make sure to give your "honey" some money for her grandmother's heart operation! And maybe also buy some watches, flowers and sculptures while you're at it!

Songkran Sucks!

Cheers!

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's senseless, idiotic and hypocritical. Thais hate also it but won't admit it.

That includes the poor suckers that go back home to Issan to pay and support "Mama/Papa" and money for the buffaloe!

278 people dead and over 3000 severely injured, now what kind of celebration is that?

To all the suckers that pay 120 baht a warm beer on walking street...? Enjoy,and make sure to give your "honey" some money for her grandmother's heart operation! And maybe also buy some watches, flowers and sculptures while you're at it!

Songkran Sucks!

Cheers!

Another bitter half falang, born in the red light district. :o

I volunteered to work with the mayors office as a volunteer and was given the job of keeping farangs off of the thae pae gate (they didn't want anyone to be higher than the monks), farangs would come by and aim high powered water pistols at my eyes and on the way to my post ice water was poured (with the ice) on my open air vehicle. If I had a gun I would have put these drunken asses out of their misery. Instead I left Thailand early this year and had a pleasant weekend figuring out my taxes for my uncle sam and experiencing the cold wet weather of early spring in New York. It has turned into a celebration of mean spirited people and an excuse to get stinking stupid drunk and drive your motorcycle into a wall. :o

I can't help but notice how good for the community and ultimately unifying it all seems, i mean in terms of everyone coming together and enjoying it locally it makes a lot of sense to me.

I guess it would become something very different if you were to travel somewhere like silom or khao san road to play with people you have never seen before and are unlikely to see again.

Coming from London a place where any real sense of community went out of window ages ago and a place where a festival of this nature would never ever work ( it would very quickly turn into violence ) i can't help but be charmed by the celebration and marvel at the good nature of it all. On that level i could never hate it!

Whether i enjoy the physical act of pouring water on people and being soaked in return for three bloody days is beside the point really as this is a Thai festival for Thai people and i'm not Thai.

I suppose the festival has been exploited and turned into something it's not really supposed to be so that people can make money from it in one form or another and this is where things become distorted but this sadly seems to be a sign of the times we live in.

God, i sound like my Dad.

I "like" it becuase Bangkok empties and places are nice and quiet. Department stores, roads and even Siam Square.

I dislike getting wet especially with dirty water but I've now had 4 dry songkrans on the trot and I do go out. I just Ninja train for a month or two prior to April.

Other than that I'm baffled at how a place as teaming with people as Khaosan Road can be seen as enjoyable. It's just a mass of katoey's bearing their fake breasts whilst looking for Farangs.

I suppose the festival has been exploited and turned into something it's not really supposed to be so that people can make money from it in one form or another and this is where things become distorted but this sadly seems to be a sign of the times we live in.

God, i sound like my Dad.

Take it easy: we don't get younger :o . What is wrong? If people can accept Santa Coca Cola as a Christmas detail, then Songkran is not really a perversion.

I like to watch it, but participating has lost its luster for me.

I find that if I dress like a Farang Puu Yai, look really serious, and take a car (or taxi) everywhere, I stay dry. The only ones I need to watch out for are the drunk farangs here on holiday, the Thais respect image.

It is amusing to watch though, find a place with a second floor balcony near any of the crazy spots in BKK, and watch everyone go bonkers.

Songkran Sucks!

Cheers!

Another bitter half falang, born in the red light district. :D

I don't understand the Westerner who lives in a large brothel like Pattaya, then complains that there are people ripping him off. :o