Do You Hate Songkran?

Neeranam

Indifferent. No one splashes me unless they are familiar with me or asks my permission first. As for traffic, I just don't venture out for a couple of days, or only go out late at night.

:o

You really believe your own shit smells like roses! So the Thais drench the ploice and whoever they choose but they ask your permission.

Deluded to the extreme

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Indifferent. No one splashes me unless they are familiar with me or asks my permission first. As for traffic, I just don't venture out for a couple of days, or only go out late at night.

You really believe your own shit smells like roses! So the Thais drench the ploice and whoever they choose but they ask your permission.

Deluded to the extreme

LOLZ, angry much?

Not quite sure about the scent, but if you can't handle it, you shouldn't have taken the job.

Friends and family at our place do a bit of splashing (but it's light and mostly of the traditional jasmine water with jasmine flowers variety according to age... young to old), but we don't exactly hang out roadside nor do we generally go out anywhere that serious partying is going on. If we're in front of one of our places of business people will indeed usually ask permission first. Plenty of places to go to get messy, I just prefer not to go to those places.

:D

Jesus H Christ,

This forum is apparantley filled with ex members of the CIA, Green Berets, SAS, FBI...etc etc etc, who all married Thai Chinese women from rich and influential families,.....................................

now your whining like little girls cos your gonna get wet...........Pathetic, come round to where I live and I'll give you you a cuddle, you poor things.

<deleted>!!!!

Did you ever imagine that you would become so miserable, c'mon, be serious, you never thought you would become the miserable old git that you once laughed at did you ?

It's a freekin' joke, what a load of nancies, ohhh, I'm gonna get wet and I don't like it ! haha, get real <deleted>!!!!!!

Just stay at home, then tell all of your overseas friends how you love living in Thailand !

Pathetic.

So you think it's pathetic that people complain about something that they don't enjoy.

What about you with your anti-farang tirades. Don' you realise that you yourself are constantly whinging?

Most people enjoy the idea of Songkran, It can be such a lot of fun. If one day of mayhem, it's great.

But you seem to think that people should enjoy all aspects of a celebration that is totally out of control.

So you enjoy...

Being blasted with water whilst riding a motorbike - that's not dangerous at all

Unexpectedly being doused in ice cold water, even if you are holding a young child that has no idea what is going on and is screaming with fright

Being blasted in the eyes with a high pressure water cannon

Not being able to go anywhere with air conditioning for days on end, because you'll freeze your b's off

... then get out there and enjoy

hmmmm.....let me see......drunk chaos in the back of pickups and on motorcycles while other drunks attempt to spray, paste, and otherwise successfully knock them into oblivion while thai authorities do nothing

oh,...and unless i go outside the country, my kids and family can't go anywhere in thailand during this time due to traffic and safety issues

work comes to a complete halt as all life is put on hold

storming like hel_l now

add me to the "yes, i hate songkran" ballot

Jesus H Christ,

This forum is apparantley filled with ex members of the CIA, Green Berets, SAS, FBI...etc etc etc, who all married Thai Chinese women from rich and influential families,.....................................

now your whining like little girls cos your gonna get wet...........Pathetic, come round to where I live and I'll give you you a cuddle, you poor things.

<deleted>!!!!

Did you ever imagine that you would become so miserable, c'mon, be serious, you never thought you would become the miserable old git that you once laughed at did you ?

It's a freekin' joke, what a load of nancies, ohhh, I'm gonna get wet and I don't like it ! haha, get real <deleted>!!!!!!

Just stay at home, then tell all of your overseas friends how you love living in Thailand !

Pathetic.

Your comments just go to prove the mentality of those ferangs who like this mayhem. You however, will sit outside your east pattaya shop house, drinking cheap piss, imagining you look like your avator.

Pathetic

I love songkran still. I like going to the local temple and pouring the water into the older folks hands and then having them dribble it over my head and showing respect for them/their age.

I like seeing all the people laughing and tossing water on others, I rarely see it get out of hand but then I am in Chiang Rai where the civilized folks live, mostly anyway. Many many times i have indicated that I didn't want to be splashed, both walking and riding, and the kids were cool with that. I like seeing the beautiful girls in wet t shirts, etc. Maybe that needs to be left unsaid.

I like going to river and floating off the flower arrangements with my wife and the kids.

I would prefer that no one was injured or killed during the festivities, but such is life.

Agree with "not liar" that this kind of festival would not happen in the US either. Now the running of the bulls, that is one peaceful festival, very safe, and how about that one where tomatoes are thrown about?? come to think of it, I would like both of those too!

Absolutely love it.

Plan at least one of my trips each year to thailand to coincide with the Songkran festivities, however this year unable to make it :o

Never realised a water fight could be so much fun. Always a group of us that go out in arms guys, girls, my mates 6 year old and their parents.

Have only celebrated it in Samui (Chaewang), never seen any aggressive altercations just good spirited locals and farngs of all ages having fun.

You can however sense the anger on some people as they venture out dressed up unaware of the festivities, but once they realise there's no way out they soon get into the spirit (well some of them do). Those who dont too bad........... stay in or research before you book your holiday.

Always respectful of parents with prams, babies etc..

post-67749-1239437374_thumb.jpg

Cheers.

PS. If you ar going to walk down the street in black jeans and a hoodie when it's 35 degrees in the middle of songrkan expect to get wet. :D

Your comments just go to prove the mentality of those ferangs who like this mayhem. You however, will sit outside your east pattaya shop house, drinking cheap piss, imagining you look like your avator.

Pathetic

Outside 7 Eleven on the corner of 3rd road and Soi Bongkot is where I'll be, come on down.

You'll get wet though, can you handle that doris ? :o

Absolutely hate it. I think if it was only one day then it wouldn't be so bad, but being under house arrest for 3 days cause i don't want to get doused with ice or klong water is to much. Will go out to make sure the fridge is well stocked this evening and bought a handful of DVD's yesterday to bide the time as the chaos descends.

Absolutely love it.

Plan at least one of my trips each year to thailand to coincide with the Songkran festivities, however this year unable to make it :o

Never realised a water fight could be so much fun. Always a group of us that go out in arms guys, girls, my mates 6 year old and their parents.

Have only celebrated it in Samui (Chaewang), never seen any aggressive altercations just good spirited locals and farngs of all ages having fun.

You can however sense the anger on some people as they venture out dressed up unaware of the festivities, but once they realise there's no way out they soon get into the spirit (well some of them do). Those who dont too bad........... stay in or research before you book your holiday.

Always respectful of parents with prams, babies etc..

post-67749-1239437374_thumb.jpg

Cheers.

PS. If you ar going to walk down the street in black jeans and a hoodie when it's 35 degrees in the middle of songrkan expect to get wet. :D

Nice goatee is that Gary Glitter in the middle?

I love songkran still. I like going to the local temple and pouring the water into the older folks hands and then having them dribble it over my head and showing respect for them/their age.

I like seeing all the people laughing and tossing water on others, I rarely see it get out of hand but then I am in Chiang Rai where the civilized folks live, mostly anyway. Many many times i have indicated that I didn't want to be splashed, both walking and riding, and the kids were cool with that. I like seeing the beautiful girls in wet t shirts, etc. Maybe that needs to be left unsaid.

I like going to river and floating off the flower arrangements with my wife and the kids.

I would prefer that no one was injured or killed during the festivities, but such is life.

Agree with "not liar" that this kind of festival would not happen in the US either. Now the running of the bulls, that is one peaceful festival, very safe, and how about that one where tomatoes are thrown about?? come to think of it, I would like both of those too!

Do they do that at Songkran? I know they do it at Loy khatong

I love Songkran. I am 33 and this will be my 4th Songkran. Although there may be some negative aspects on how some celebrate it nowadays. It doesn't make me hate it. I love it because I celebrate it the traditonal way with my girlsfriends' family. I get to drink with my Thai friends and enjoy the food. But most of all, I love it because I get to spend so much time with my girl indoors rather than in notorious places like Paragon, Emporium, or Central. :o

I don't mind Songkran.... it is just the idiots I dislike

Living in Chiangmai for five years there was no way to avoid it....so if you wanted to go anywhere and eat, getting wet was inevitable...... if you cannot beat them, join them. ...so i did. I used to stand beside the moat opposite the Spotlight bar or join the girls from John's Place since I ate regularly in the Bier Stube close by.....

I had one of those small buckets on a string and one day was hauling water out of the moat when a group of five young Thai youths walked by and one gave me a helpful push in the back....... I toppled into the moat and my glasses came off ... a bit naughty, but it must have looked funny.... it wasn't easy to climb out onto the pavement either, must be even harder for children in that predicamant.... nobody gave me a hand .... I went back to the spot early the next morning and by diving down managed to retrieve my specs.

Another time whilst riding a motorcycle I got a bucketful in the face which caused my specs to fly off and skid down the road....luckily the farang who did it got an attack of conscience and ran to pick them up...returning them he appologised...... I accapted with a smile...what else can one do........ when in Rome do as the Romans do.....smile alot :o

I think iced water should be banned...as should prickly heat powder...which can sting the eyes..... and there shoukd be a 6pm cut-off time at the latest.... I have often seen girls dressed up for work in the evening at a hotel or similar...going to work and getting drenched by those who just do not know when enough is enough. And the official 3 days is enough too..... a week before and a week after...which is the norm in the country areas is just too much........ kids bored with their long school holiday mostly....

Sungkran can be OK ...if played nicely.....and having 'Krengcai' for others.....only wetting those who want to play...not those dressed up or those who look unhappy (even if soaked)....and never in the face .........or a whole bucketful at a time

The idiots who are determined to have their fun...at other's expence..... are making a lot of bad karma for themselves...

Saying it is only once a year is no excuse...those who do not wish to play should be left alone...

Yesterday it started in Chiangmai and I was visiting a friend there .......since I have been living in Fang for ten years now........I had come to CM on the bus and brought my folding bicycle with me... cycling back to Chang Puak bus station to go home...and from the bus stop in Fang to my house...I got wet ...of course.... but at a slow steady pace on the bike it was enjoyable and everyone was friendly and restrained

This will be my 15th Songkran and I hate it.

The first one was OK when I was young and drunk. The second was OK too. Now, the festival has become totally out of hand. Two years ago in Bangkok, I was "assaulted" - getting ice thrown in my face. Three years ago, I did the back of a pick-up thing and was bloody freezing - it was a nightmare.

At least the guys who bought a pick-up will get a chance to use it. :o

Anyone else hate this holiday?

No, I love it.

There are not many countries in the world that could hold such a festival, I'm fortunate enough to be in one of them.

This type of thing just could never happen in a country like UK, folks there are just too miserable or to violent, long live Songkhran !!!

It's changed a lot in 20 years, more violent unfriendly and agressive behavior is the norm these days. To :D bad it was nice.

I hate the fact people have turned it in to Mardi Gras. Songkran is a Buddhist holiday as well as the Thai new year there are beautiful traditions surrounding the holiday and gathering of family and community activity. I can't imagine what would happen if westerners turned a holiday like lets say Easter in to a drunk fest with the throwing of eggs. In anyevent I don't hate Songkran I just go to a remote village in Chiang Rai during the holiday and spend the time with my wifes family doing triditional things with the local community. And just for the record in the 6 years I have been going to Chiang Rai to celebrate with the community I have never had a bucket of water thrown on me nor have I been drenched.

I hate the fact people have turned it in to Mardi Gras. Songkran is a Buddhist holiday as well as the Thai new year there are beautiful traditions surrounding the holiday and gathering of family and community activity. I can't imagine what would happen if westerners turned a holiday like lets say Easter in to a drunk fest with the throwing of eggs. In anyevent I don't hate Songkran I just go to a remote village in Chiang Rai during the holiday and spend the time with my wifes family doing triditional things with the local community. And just for the record in the 6 years I have been going to Chiang Rai to celebrate with the community I have never had a bucket of water thrown on me nor have I been drenched.

Errrhh ! From my memory all bank holidays in the UK are treated as a drunk fest! or was just me and my mates?

Was in a restaurant yesterday in Bkk, the owners kids were running around shooting water in peoples faces and over their food, very 'sanuk' Songkran is for kids and idiots. Farangs have made it a lot worse than it used to be, worse is KSR, complete madness.

I hate the fact people have turned it in to Mardi Gras. Songkran is a Buddhist holiday as well as the Thai new year there are beautiful traditions surrounding the holiday and gathering of family and community activity. I can't imagine what would happen if westerners turned a holiday like lets say Easter in to a drunk fest with the throwing of eggs. In any event I don't hate Songkran I just go to a remote village in Chiang Rai during the holiday and spend the time with my wife's family doing traditional things with the local community. And just for the record in the 6 years I have been going to Chiang Rai to celebrate with the community I have never had a bucket of water thrown on me nor have I been drenched.

Errrhh ! From my memory all bank holidays in the UK are treated as a drunk fest! or was just me and my mates?

Perhaps, but I'm not from the UK so I wouldn't know however; I am a Buddhist (just not a Thai Buddhist). I think when people suffer due to malice acts even if it is just for "fun" something has gone terribly wrong.

I don't mind Songkran.... it is just the idiots I dislike

Living in Chiangmai for five years there was no way to avoid it....so if you wanted to go anywhere and eat, getting wet was inevitable...... if you cannot beat them, join them. ...so i did. I used to stand beside the moat opposite the Spotlight bar or join the girls from John's Place since I ate regularly in the Bier Stube close by.....

I had one of those small buckets on a string and one day was hauling water out of the moat when a group of five young Thai youths walked by and one gave me a helpful push in the back....... I toppled into the moat and my glasses came off ... a bit naughty, but it must have looked funny.... it wasn't easy to climb out onto the pavement either, must be even harder for children in that predicamant.... nobody gave me a hand .... I went back to the spot early the next morning and by diving down managed to retrieve my specs.

Another time whilst riding a motorcycle I got a bucketful in the face which caused my specs to fly off and skid down the road....luckily the farang who did it got an attack of conscience and ran to pick them up...returning them he appologised...... I accapted with a smile...what else can one do........ when in Rome do as the Romans do.....smile alot :o

I think iced water should be banned...as should prickly heat powder...which can sting the eyes..... and there shoukd be a 6pm cut-off time at the latest.... I have often seen girls dressed up for work in the evening at a hotel or similar...going to work and getting drenched by those who just do not know when enough is enough. And the official 3 days is enough too..... a week before and a week after...which is the norm in the country areas is just too much........ kids bored with their long school holiday mostly....

Sungkran can be OK ...if played nicely.....and having 'Krengcai' for others.....only wetting those who want to play...not those dressed up or those who look unhappy (even if soaked)....and never in the face .........or a whole bucketful at a time

The idiots who are determined to have their fun...at other's expence..... are making a lot of bad karma for themselves...

Saying it is only once a year is no excuse...those who do not wish to play should be left alone...

Yesterday it started in Chiangmai and I was visiting a friend there .......since I have been living in Fang for ten years now........I had come to CM on the bus and brought my folding bicycle with me... cycling back to Chang Puak bus station to go home...and from the bus stop in Fang to my house...I got wet ...of course.... but at a slow steady pace on the bike it was enjoyable and everyone was friendly and restrained

Good post and I like your attitude towards Songkran.

Seems glasses and Songkran do not mix too well.

I posted on TV a couple of years ago how I was out on my motorbike on a six highway and a Thai youth suddenly ran out and threw a bucket of water in my face. I kept control of my bike.....just, but my glasses were ripped off and smashed. They cost 14000 bht as they were sunglasses with my prescription built in.

Just part of the lunacy that spoils what should be an enjoyable celebration.

I live in a small village now where things don't get too out of hand, unlike in town, so I just go with the flow and give the local kids some target practise if I feel like it.

I hate the fact people have turned it in to Mardi Gras. Songkran is a Buddhist holiday as well as the Thai new year there are beautiful traditions surrounding the holiday and gathering of family and community activity. I can't imagine what would happen if westerners turned a holiday like lets say Easter in to a drunk fest with the throwing of eggs. In any event I don't hate Songkran I just go to a remote village in Chiang Rai during the holiday and spend the time with my wife's family doing traditional things with the local community. And just for the record in the 6 years I have been going to Chiang Rai to celebrate with the community I have never had a bucket of water thrown on me nor have I been drenched.

Perhaps, but I'm not from the UK so I wouldn't know however; I am a Buddhist (just not a Thai Buddhist). I think when people suffer due to malice acts even if it is just for "fun" something has gone terribly wrong.

Malice is a too strong a word - I don't think anybody plays sonkgran with the intention or desire to injury someone

Lacking common sense while intoxicated is more appropriate but I can't think of a word for it :o

I can take it our leave it. The kids love it. It does ten to drag on far too long in these parts. I'm not really one to be dictacted to when I have to enjoy myself so I feel same about Xmas etc.

I do find certain aspects disturbing like the mother-in-law having to tie her son to a post by his leg yesterday and one of our neighbours has just dropped off her kid with us so she can continue her two day (soon to be ten day) Alcohol Binge. :D

I'll have a few drinks and hope to retain my dignity :o

How do you react to this water throwing if you don't want it?

Firstly, I say something like "mai ao, na khrap" meaning I don't want it thank you.

If they continue to abuse me, saying have fun it's Sonkran, I'll say, something like 'chong mang' meaning I don't give a toss.

If it continues it's useful to know words like 'yaet mang' <deleted> you.

Don't be a woose - they're in the wrong.

If you want to know stronger words and phrases, there are many.

'

How do you react to this water throwing if you don't want it?

Firstly, I say something like "mai ao, na khrap" meaning I don't want it thank you.

If they continue to abuse me, saying have fun it's Sonkran, I'll say, something like 'chong mang' meaning I don't give a toss.

If it continues it's useful to know words like 'yaet mang' <deleted> you.

Don't be a woose - they're in the wrong.

If you want to know stronger words and phrases, there are many.

'

Probably not advisable to shout this at a bunch of drunk Thai guys.

Nowdays, without doubt the worse time for me. The first couple of years was ok but is wearing a bit thin now. However, it's only a few days so I've learnt to avoid / hide away for the duration & let them get on with it.