Do You Hate Songkran?

Neeranam

Songkran can be a very enjoyable time if any sort of common sense is involved.

Songkran and common sense in the same sentence. Well that's a new one, bit too radical for me obviously the definition of common sense has been updated. :D

This type of thing just could never happen in a country like UK, folks there are just too miserable or too violent, long live Songkhran !!!

Also how can you generalize about everone in the UK

It may be a generalisation but he's spot on. Jeez, as a Brit it pains me to admit it, but a hel_ of a lot of my fellow citizens can't even have a few beers without indulging in a bout of fisticuffs. Songkran in the UK would amount to a huge cull of gene pool bottom feeders. :o

Hmmmm, I think I might have an idea of how to reduce the amount of embarrasing incidents we Brits get associated with in Thailand. :D

Anyone got Gordon Brown's e mail address?

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hate it when:

- Get splashed with warm water

- Get splashed with dirty klong water

- Too crowded (when the human masses starts to fall like waves in Kao Sarn)

- Getting fondled by lady-boys

- Getting fondled by ugly chicks

- Witnessing a drunkard getting into fights

Love it when:

- Get splashed with cool/cold/clean water

- Play it with a cool set of friends

- Surrounded by polite yet playful locals

- Do things that doesn't only involve drinking, techno music, and drinking (ie. temples, pageant contest etc).

I detest Songkran

Just as Christmas in the west has become a commercial feeding frenzy, Songkran is a shadow of its former self - it originated from gentle sprinkling of scented water in good humour, but has degraded over the years into a moronic, drunken and often violent water fight that drags on for five days or more.

It's the best time to stay away from Thailand.

I have spoken to many Thai women who say they will stay at home during Songkran because they don't want men touching their body in the street. During Songkran a basic principle of civilised behaviour gets thrown out the window - the principle that you need consent to touch another person's body. I can't see the the "sanuk" in assaulting and sexually assaulting people in the street.

This will be my 15th Songkran and I hate it.

The first one was OK when I was young and drunk. The second was OK too. Now, the festival has become totally out of hand. Two years ago in Bangkok, I was "assaulted" - getting ice thrown in my face. Three years ago, I did the back of a pick-up thing and was bloody freezing - it was a nightmare.

At least the guys who bought a pick-up will get a chance to use it. :D

Anyone else hate this holiday?

You sound like Stooge!

All the fun of Songkran is for the kids. They love it.

Maybe you should go back to where ever you came from for a week or so. :o

Baa Humbug huh?

You sound like Stooge!???? He sounds like the straight man in a comedy act?????

Yes the kids love it with their little water pistols. It would be great if everybody used the same instead of bowls bucks and high powered cannons.

I have spoken to many Thai women who say they will stay at home during Songkran because they don't want men touching their body in the street. During Songkran a basic principle of civilised behaviour gets thrown out the window - the principle that you need consent to touch another person's body. I can't see the the "sanuk" in assaulting and sexually assaulting people in the street.

agree, those "grean" kids now have a perfect excuse to grope young girls in tight crowds.

Many guys (usually thai) go out to play songkarn just for that reason. Wet girls in short shorts

(who probably are looking for some action and be victimized as well)

Nothing to hate here. It's up to everyone, what to do. No need to participate: The activities can easily be ignored, if you are not on the streets.

Love the sarcasm and irony...not being on the streets of course, meaning you hunker down indoors. Passive non-participation, eh?

Nothing to hate here. It's up to everyone, what to do. No need to participate: The activities can easily be ignored, if you are not on the streets.

Love the sarcasm and irony...not being on the streets of course, meaning you hunker down indoors. Passive non-participation, eh?

on the beaches in the south it's a day like any other, e.g.

It's not too bad, i'm not really into the whole khao sarn road type thing, but otherwise i really enjoy songkarn. If you don't want to participate just go to the CBD in bangkok, you never get splashed there. I really enjoy songkran around the phitsanulok area, there is less water and more alcohol.

hate it. was 25 at the time. At first I was looking forward to it but it was too much. I would wear a rain jacket and they would lift it up, destroying my passport.

My first one was in the early 90s in Khao san Road and it was good despite my traveller's cheques and passport getting soaked. I arrived in a van from the airport and didn't know about the holiday. As soon as got out the van I was completely drenched. There were very few Thais participating. I was there also 4 years ago and the difference was unbelievable - things were getting quite violent at times.

My kids started today and I joined in - it is fun when you want to play.

One Songkran my car broke down in the middle of a main road. I had to hold my baby daughter while my wife went to get a mechanic. I felt like hitting a few people who drenched us after I said I didn't want it and particularly as I was holding a baby.

Like some previous posters, I hate what it has become - not what it should be!

We had a traditional Songkran Assembly at my school on Thursday last. My hands were respectfully doused, by the (multi-national) students, with a small amount of water, to the accompaniment of other students playing traditional Thai music. A beautiful meaningful ceremony - not a bunch of stupid Farang tourists getting pissed out of their minds over something they just don't understand.

Edited by grtaylor

Songkran can be alot of fun as long as you are not included in the statistics of the several hundreds of deaths and several thousands of injuries directly attributed to accidents and traffic fatalities during Songkran. In any event, the really good news it that it does help with the control of overpopulation and helps keep people employed in local hospitals.

A beautiful meaningful ceremony - not a bunch of stupid Farang tourists getting pissed out of their minds over something they just don't understand.

Outside of Pattaya, 99% of the people getting drunk and throwing water everywhere are Thai. Even in Khao San the vast majority are Thai.

And no, I don't hate Songkran, I love it.

Do I hate Songkran? >>> Sometimes....

This year I have to stay post, and load people been out of town......I really, really love Bangkok this time SO BAD...

By the way, OP.. do you got sexy harrassment also when get splashing? :o:D

(nahhhh...kidding..) Happy Holidays!!!

Jesus H Christ,

This forum is apparantley filled with ex members of the CIA, Green Berets, SAS, FBI...etc etc etc, who all married Thai Chinese women from rich and influential families,.....................................

now your whining like little girls cos your gonna get wet...........Pathetic, come round to where I live and I'll give you you a cuddle, you poor things.

<deleted>!!!!

Did you ever imagine that you would become so miserable, c'mon, be serious, you never thought you would become the miserable old git that you once laughed at did you ?

It's a freekin' joke, what a load of nancies, ohhh, I'm gonna get wet and I don't like it ! haha, get real <deleted>!!!!!!

Just stay at home, then tell all of your overseas friends how you love living in Thailand !

Pathetic.

Edited by Maigo6

Love it and hate it, I remember last year here in Chiang Mai, two lovely young ladies in those long tight skirts shyly giggling and pouring water on my shoulder as they wished me a happy new year. Some little kids with serious intent shooting point blank with their water pistols at my knees. Some really beautiful parades. I think the trick is to find the group of people that are celebrating in the style you enjoy. Avoid the skinheads and idiots and hope for the best. Happy new year.

Fridge is stocked up and this will be my last day out until the 17th. Don't mind the smear of powder and a little water in the spirit of the festival but it's the drunken yobbos (both Thai and Farang) and the madness on the roads.

Jesus H Christ,

This forum is apparantley filled with ex members of the CIA, Green Berets, SAS, FBI...etc etc etc, who all married Thai Chinese women from rich and influential families,.....................................

now your whining like little girls cos your gonna get wet...........Pathetic, come round to where I live and I'll give you you a cuddle, you poor things.

<deleted>!!!!

Did you ever imagine that you would become so miserable, c'mon, be serious, you never thought you would become the miserable old git that you once laughed at did you ?

It's a freekin' joke, what a load of nancies, ohhh, I'm gonna get wet and I don't like it ! haha, get real <deleted>!!!!!!

Just stay at home, then tell all of your overseas friends how you love living in Thailand !

Pathetic.

Your comments just go to prove the mentality of those ferangs who like this mayhem. You however, will sit outside your east pattaya shop house, drinking cheap piss, imagining you look like your avator.

Pathetic