Do You Hate Songkran?

Neeranam

Nothing to hate here. It's up to everyone, what to do. No need to participate: The activities can easily be ignored, if you are not on the streets.

Love the sarcasm and irony...not being on the streets of course, meaning you hunker down indoors. Passive non-participation, eh?

I hear that London is a great place to live and work.

Friendly smiling people, great weather, low prices, and if somebody splashes water on you during a festival, you can get your own back, and sue them or have them evicted from their council home.

In fact you are not only protected from Songkran - you don't even have to put up with that other offensive festival, Christmas.

I hate these weird superstitious people as well, that believe in strange ghosts, dead people coming back to life, and men who walk on water.

Unlike here, the British government has taken strict action, so now Christmas has been renamed "holiday season"

So - GREAT news for the people who hate Songkran, Animism, and the horrible, distasteful place that is Thailand - London is only a 10-12 hour flight, and there are plenty of apartments and job opportunities to spare.

Go there instead, then drop me a line on the forum after you have settled in and thank me for my advice.

I'm always loojking to help disgruntles expats any way I can.

Have a great Easter folks! (BTW - Easter is also a Pagan festival. The eggs were kicking around a thousand years or so before that hook-nosed hippy hopped on the scene and got pinned up. I'll send a note to Gordon B and have him ban that one too for false advertising under the trade practices act. Leave it with me)

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have a great Easter folks! (BTW - Easter is also a Pagan festival. The eggs were kicking around a thousand years or so before that hook-nosed hippy hopped on the scene and got pinned up. I'll send a note to Gordon B and have him ban that one too for false advertising under the trade practices act. Leave it with me)

hook-nosed?

This Songkran "thing" (wit all respect) has gone way out of hand, it really show how the state the nation is in(4 years).Sad,, and all over the world when it is some kind of celebration just the same.WAY out of hand.i Think a "Troll" is on the loose,.

How do you react to this water throwing if you don't want it?

Firstly, I say something like "mai ao, na khrap" meaning I don't want it thank you.

If they continue to abuse me, saying have fun it's Sonkran, I'll say, something like 'chong mang' meaning I don't give a toss.

If it continues it's useful to know words like 'yaet mang' <deleted> you.

Don't be a woose - they're in the wrong.

If you want to know stronger words and phrases, there are many.

'

Probably not advisable to shout this at a bunch of drunk Thai guys.

I think he was talking about shouting at elementary school kids getting rowdy during Songkran.

For drunk and possibly armed adults, it's probably best to stick to "shouting at them" by logging into ThaiVisa first and doing it over the internet.

:o

It's changed a lot in 20 years, more violent unfriendly and agressive behavior is the norm these days. To :o bad it was nice.

Actually, it is much mellower than it used to be - at least in Chiang Mai. Much less super-soakers, main areas blocked off from vehicles and water throwing. Everyone keeps claiming that it keeps getting worse, but not up here.

i like the idea of it - Thai new Year - but Thai people aren't mature or responsible enough to have a holiday like this (look what the fools did with their political system).

up where we live large groups of drunk guys stop every bike coming down the road and make them sit while they pour several buckets on the riders. and every street is lined with idiots throwing water on every car or bike. i feel very bad for the people who have to ride their bikes to work and get there wet for 5 days. i saw one girl wreck last year because a group of a$$holes threw several buckets of water at her while she was riding by.

how many people died already? over 50?

the wife and i take the time to sit around the house and watch movies, play with the dogs, catch up online. we filled the fridge on friday, so there's not much reason to go out.

beautiful country but the people are stupid as hel_l..

I like the idea of it - Thai new Year - but Thai people aren't mature or responsible enough to have a holiday like this (look what the fools did with their political system).

up where we live large groups of drunk guys stop every bike coming down the road and make them sit while they pour several buckets on the riders. and every street is lined with idiots throwing water on every car or bike. i feel very bad for the people who have to ride their bikes to work and get there wet for 5 days. i saw one girl wreck last year because a group of a$$holes threw several buckets of water at her while she was riding by.

the wife and i take the time to sit around the house and watch movies, play with the dogs, catch up online. we filled the fridge on friday, so there's not much reason to go out.

"The wife" is she one of the stupid people from the beautiful country and have you told her? :o

up where we live large groups of drunk guys stop every bike coming down the road and make them sit while they pour several buckets on the riders.........................

At least they stop the bikes, it's the idiots that throw water at fast moving vehicles that really annoy me

It is without question the holiday in this tiny, insignificant country that I HATE the most.

In the USA, for example with Christmas or Thanxgiving or Easter; IF you don't want to put up a christmas tree, eat turkey, or color easter eggs, no one forces you to do it. Here with songkran, you are almost without fail "pressed into service" by the drunken mob of revelers. (Although I have much better luck convincing thais I don't want to get wet than convincing foreigners of the same fact)

Thankfully the thais on my soi are 'conditioned' to leave me alone as I walk past them. They know NOT to even attempt to put water or powder on me as I make my way by and seem to have no problem following this edict.

Unfortunately, getting the mindless, moronic foreigners to do likewise has proven to be a tough row to hoe especially in the area where I live. I very nearly clubbed a few with my cane like baby fur seals last year, who were over zealous and obviously a little too thick to understand a sternly worded english warning. I finally had to resort to the phrase, "Get me wet and I'll club you to death right now, right where you stand and not a single thai will lift a finger to help you. .." to get some to understand the sincerity in my intent to remain dry.

I think it's a good holiday for thais, and being in thailand I accept it is their country. I do not however take kindly into being forced into an "all-thingz-thai" mindset simply because I live in their country.

So my vote is "hate it" with a passion; this is really one f*cked up holiday I could certainly do without.

I like the idea of it - Thai new Year - but Thai people aren't mature or responsible enough to have a holiday like this (look what the fools did with their political system).

"The wife" is she one of the stupid people from the beautiful country and have you told her? :o

yes and yes. she's getting better tho. cant say as much for the rest of the primates.

It is without question the holiday in this tiny, insignificant country that I HATE the most.

In the USA, for example with Christmas or Thanxgiving or Easter; IF you don't want to put up a christmas tree, eat turkey, or color easter eggs, no one forces you to do it. Here with songkran, you are almost without fail "pressed into service" by the drunken mob of revelers. (Although I have much better luck convincing thais I don't want to get wet than convincing foreigners of the same fact)

Thankfully the thais on my soi are 'conditioned' to leave me alone as I walk past them. They know NOT to even attempt to put water or powder on me as I make my way by and seem to have no problem following this edict.

Unfortunately, getting the mindless, moronic foreigners to do likewise has proven to be a tough row to hoe especially in the area where I live. I very nearly clubbed a few with my cane like baby fur seals last year, who were over zealous and obviously a little too thick to understand a sternly worded english warning. I finally had to resort to the phrase, "Get me wet and I'll club you to death right now, right where you stand and not a single thai will lift a finger to help you. .." to get some to understand the sincerity in my intent to remain dry.

I think it's a good holiday for thais, and being in thailand I accept it is their country. I do not however take kindly into being forced into an "all-thingz-thai" mindset simply because I live in their country.

So my vote is "hate it" with a passion; this is really one f*cked up holiday I could certainly do without.

Wot a tossa! :o

Just got hit in the face with a bucket of water while I was doing 80K on my bike. Stung a bit, didn't crash though. Just some guy sitting by himself in front of a shop tossing water. Yes I can see why folks love this holiday.

This people really don't want you get hurt or dizzied or dead. They would never want to hurt someone deliberately. They just splash at you, because it's funny and after you are on the street with a broken spine reality senses start to check in.

Just got hit in the face with a bucket of water while I was doing 80K on my bike. Stung a bit, didn't crash though. Just some guy sitting by himself in front of a shop tossing water. Yes I can see why folks love this holiday.

This people really don't want you get hurt or dizzied or dead. They would never want to hurt someone deliberately. They just splash at you, because it's funny and after you are on the street with a broken spine reality senses start to check in.

For maybe 10 minutes, then their own selfish "sanook" comes first and they're back out doing the same thing.

This afternoon i went on my long cycle ride (50km.)...dressed suitably to not retain too much water in my clothing.... and had a most enjoyable time.

My slow steady pace caused most revelers to take it easy on me....and they enjoyed it when i beckoned to them with my upturned palm.....(like Neo did in the matrix kung-<deleted> fights).

I even managed to surprise a few by squirting back with my water bottle....

I like your style.........you don't happen tohave a spare club do you??

I try not to HATE anybody or anything...it wastes too much energy not to get confused with wasting too much water , that your whole country needs ! If only we EX-Pat residents hadn't enjoyed it so much in our younger days ! In my early days in BKK when I worked on PatpongRd. , a wise man named Jack Shirley at THE MADRID R&B , once told me that we'd be sorry for introducing water guns,pistols& cannons into the Thai Holiday....A Universal Truth of " Be careful what you create , it just might come bite you in the ass , oneday !!!

I try not to HATE anybody or anything...it wastes too much energy not to get confused with wasting too much water , that your whole country needs ! If only we EX-Pat residents hadn't enjoyed it so much in our younger days ! In my early days in BKK when I worked on PatpongRd. , a wise man named Jack Shirley at THE MADRID R&B , once told me that we'd be sorry for introducing water guns,pistols& cannons into the Thai Holiday....A Universal Truth of " Be careful what you create , it just might come bite you in the ass , oneday !!!

So it's your fault is it? Thanks a lot. I suppose you taught them to turn left without looking too. What are you? An evil genius?

Thais love Songkhran - its in their blood. But any farang professing to like being assaulted with ice an water for a week ( yes a week - you live in Pattaya) is suspect

Actually a lot of Thais do NOT like what Songkran has become.

Yes, it's a special time of year for them and when the water festival was not as extreme as it is now, everyone could enjoy it.

You will see many Thais dress in their best clothes to visit elders and do the traditional pouring of water over their hands and sometimes feet. I've seen them get really angry when their best clothes are ruined by the idiots that just throw water over everybody.

The ice water thing, well that's just assault as far as I'm concerned.

Some years back, I was at a party and this man had filled a dustbin with water and ice. He delighted in creeping up and pouring this ice cold water down people's backs.

He did it to me and I picked him up and dunked him in his own ice water. That actually got some applause.

lol :o nice one i'm just staying in i was thinking about going away but too many problems as you can see on the tv also if they close the airport all my clients will need me to get them out of here because run a travel shop

I remember fireworks night as a kid, children become vandals.

Easter weekend in the Australia, no shops open for days.

Thailand not so different, water is safer than fire.

Loi Kratong must surely be the Thai festival to worry about.

:D You are one of them :o

Any farang who starts a sentence with "In the ...." is one best ignored because a whole boring tirade is about to tumble out...

You are here not there! get over it dude

Unfortunately, getting the mindless, moronic foreigners to do likewise has proven to be a tough row to hoe especially in the area where I live. I very nearly clubbed a few with my cane like baby fur seals last year, who were over zealous and obviously a little too thick to understand a sternly worded english warning. I finally had to resort to the phrase, "Get me wet and I'll club you to death right now, right where you stand and not a single thai will lift a finger to help you. .." to get some to understand the sincerity in my intent to remain dry

Classic

I actually enjoyed playing with the water near my house today.

When we set off for Khao Neeiow Road, at the end of my soi was a neighbour who likes a drink. He was lying flat on his back. We thought to much to drink until we saw him getting mouth to muth resusitation. Turned out that he was hit by a car and died. The weird thing was that only 3 people were seeing to him - the others were dancing about in front of cars as if they were invincable.

I used to do wild, dangerous things (alcoholic for 20 years) so maybe I've just had enough - but the activities today made me feel sick.