State Of Emergency Declared For Bangkok

george

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny I don't remember those 'recent PAD demands' being met at all.

Looks like they got stiffed.

And looks like their court dates are grinding along the calendar at Thia speed.

Abhisit can't afford to be influenced by the PAD. The Thai people will NEVER accept it and probably won't show it in the form of street protests, but they will definitely vent their frustrations at the polls. This is something the Democrats don't want, nor can they afford to have happen if they want to remain in power.

Sondhi wanted more PAD representation within Government. If the recent rift with Abhisit is any indication, the PAD won't be given anything! I'm sure Abhisit will want to improve his ratings, so getting rid of (PAD Foreign Minister) Kasit would be a good start. This muppet is an epic failure on all counts.

I think the PAD will be in court sooner than most people think, well, considering the UDD factor involved. Abhisit will want to rid himself of having 'double standards', something he's being accused of to this day. The only way achieve this is to adopt an impartial stance towards both sides. Whether or not this will happen remains to be seen.

Edited by Supernova

You can rant about the Guardian all you like, but the view expressed by Jonathan Watts is universally accepted.

jayboy - I don't accept it so you can poke your 'universal' comment.

The Guardian has little credibility for balanced reporting but 'up to you' if you want to blindly accept their standard/slant of reporting.

I was talking about the international press not individuals.If you can find a respected international media outlet taking a significant different view, perhaps you would let me know.

How come the muslims could rally in Bangkok today when there is a SOE? Or is it only to stop anti-government rallies, not the ones that make good PR?

Good point. I didn't notice that.

Since Sondhi was shot this morning, the SOE will be on longer than expected.

Abhisit can't afford to be influenced by the PAD. The Thai people will NEVER accept it and probably won't show it in the form of street protests, but they will definitely vent their frustrations at the polls. This is something the Democrats don't want, nor can they afford to have happen if they want to remain in power.

Maybe, but since PAD is not a party, who do you think its supporters vote for? PTP?

Of course PAD direct meddling in politics will be frowned upon but there's a long way to go before it would play into PTP hands at the ballots.

How come the muslims could rally in Bangkok today when there is a SOE? Or is it only to stop anti-government rallies, not the ones that make good PR?

Good point. I didn't notice that.

Since Sondhi was shot this morning, the SOE will be on longer than expected.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!! Deep Red Koo82 is back!!

Better you didn't start to promote your criminal terrorist Red Companion's and their from you beloved Red Master Th....n again.

Govt continues applying state of emergency in Bangkok

Abhisit said the decision was made because the government wanted to restore peace and order in the country. He said that the government wished the state would be in force as short as possible.

"We will continue applying the state of emergency, but for as short a period as possible, in order to restore peace and normalcy in Bangkok and its vicinities," Abhisit said.

He said the measures were still needed to "prevent any repeat incidents. There are still a few risky spots," he said.

He was speaking after chairing a special cabinet meeting at the Government House on Friday.

He insisted that the decision to maintain the state of emergency in Bangkok has nothing involved with the attack on Sondhi Limthongkul, People's Alliance for Democracy, on Friday morning.

Sondhi and PAD protesters late last year seized two Bangkok airports during their protests against government of Somchai Wongsawat, brother-in-law of fugitive ex-Thai PM Thaksin Shinawatra.

They halted the seizure of airports and end the protest after Constitutional Court dissolved Somchai's People Power Party.

- THE NATION -

Can any Thais here explain why there is so much hatred violence and iintolerance in a Bhuddist country

Is it like post Christian Europe where folks go to the ceremonies bith death marriage pay lip service but do the opposite.

I do not mean to insult any faith or none .

We see alcohol fuelled nadness

on the Rds people spraying at motorcyclists and hundreds dead.

S provinces with thousands dead on both sides,perhaps for differing reasons.

The "war on drugs"

The Cambodian border fiasco.

Dependancy for power on the Burmese thugs.

An impotent police force.

Has Bhudism failed been rejected overturned and if so why?

I see the present stuff like Philipines and Mexico where the slide to thuggery,

grills and kidnapping remove security for all but the most priviliged.

One can understand uneducated folks relying on fortune telling and amulets but leaders?

Also in this democracy what is the latest possible election date please?

Guest Reimar

PM hits back : Story behind the crackdown

Published on April 17, 2009 in THE NATION

Thanong Khanthong chronicles one of the biggest political upheavals facing Thailand and its current prime minister, Abhisit Vejjajiva. This is the last of a two-part series.

30100669-01.jpg

Thai Rath wanted Abhisit Vejjajiva to resign so bloodshed could be avoided, while the Thai Journalists Association suggested peaceful negotiations.

Prinya Thevanaruemitrakul, a law professor from Thammasat University, appeared several times on TV talk shows to urge peace talks. While Thaksin appeared on CNN, BBC and other international media outlets, to support the red shirts and denounce the military. International media, especially those who have had little sympathy for Abhisit's government, also came out in support of the red shirts.

This was all part of a grand scheme to prove that Thaksin reigned over public opinion both inside and outside Thailand.

However, things turned very quickly against Thaksin and his red shirts as the chaotic day progressed. Audiences around the world witnessed acts of sabotage and sheer lawlessness of the red shirts - a stark contrast to Thaksin's claims that his red-clad supporters were using peaceful means in their call for democracy.

It was not until late afternoon on Songkran Day that security forces managed to bring the plundering of Bangkok under control. In the evening, Abhisit sounded much more confident when he said the government was on top of the situation. The red shirts had lost control of all the 50 major traffic points and had to retreat to their stronghold near Government House.

Thaksin and his red shirts were losing the game because the Army chief, General Anupong Paochinda, was keeping a low profile, and the police could not do much because under the Emergency Decree the power rests in the hands of the PM alone.

Another most important factor that turned the tide away from Thaksin and the red shirts was that Bangkok residents were up in arms against them. People living in Nang Lerng, Phetchaburi, Sathorn and other areas attacked the red shirts, and Bangkok became a battlefield.

Thaksin's cronies rushed to submit a petition with His Majesty the King, begging him to intervene and end the crisis. Even Thaksin called on His Majesty to step in and calm things down.

"I urge His Majesty to please kindly intervene, otherwise the military and the government will kill more people. They are covering up everything - the local newspapers are spreading lies," he told Sky News.

He must be kidding! First he has his red shirts go around burning Bangkok and then he requests for Royal intervention.

The implicit message was that, in the absence of an intervention from the palace, the red shirts would continue ravaging the capital until the country went down the drain.

Luckily, this little trick did not work.

Abhisit stepped in to fortify his position, and by Tuesday he was clearly in control.

The red shirts had been subdued and public sentiment, both inside and outside Thailand, went against Thaksin and his supporters. People were backing Abhisit again.

The fugitive and his red-clad supporters were facing a setback - they never thought that Bangkok residents would rise against them. In fact, it became quite dangerous to even wear red and walk down the streets.

Before noon, the plug was pulled. Veera Musigapong told the red shirts around Government House to disperse, and the leaders turned themselves in to hear criminal charges.

Deputy Prime Minister Suthep Thaugsuban and Police Commissioner-General Patcharawat Wongsuwan tried to save their image by announcing on TV that a plot to bomb the Bangkok Bank and CP headquarters on Silom Road had been uncovered. Patcharawat also, personally and very politely, arrested Veera and other red-shirt leaders outside Government House.

Thaksin, and his ex-wife Pojaman, must have realised by then that they had lost their bet. The Bt10 billion or so they allegedly spent to finance their "people's revolution" had failed miserably.

Now it is time for Abhisit to clean up and declare triumphs as Thailand struggles to return to its feet.

Meanwhile, Thaksin and 13 red-shirt leaders face arrest warrants for their crimes against the state.

I gambled with my life if red shirts killed in crackdown : Army chief

Army Commander in Chief Gen Anupong Paochinda said Friday he gambled with his life if any red shirted protesters were killed during the army's crackdowns.

He dismissed as groundless the red shirts' claims that dozens of the protesters were killed the suppression and the army uploaded the bodies onto trucks and dumped them outside Bangkok.

"The claims are totally unfounded. I could gamble with my life if there is any red shirted protesters killed during the army's crackdowns," he said.

After Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva imposed state of emergency in Bangkok on April 12 following violent protests of the red shirts, the army launched crackdowns on the protesters. The army insisted that the suppression was transparent and no one was killed.

Anupong added that the soldiers are still deployed in 102 spots in Bangkok to provide security for people and to prevent any attempt to instigate unrest again.

- THE NATION -

Can any Thais here explain why there is so much hatred violence and iintolerance in a Bhuddist country

Is it like post Christian Europe where folks go to the ceremonies bith death marriage pay lip service but do the opposite.

I do not mean to insult any faith or none .

We see alcohol fuelled nadness

on the Rds people spraying at motorcyclists and hundreds dead.

S provinces with thousands dead on both sides,perhaps for differing reasons.

The "war on drugs"

The Cambodian border fiasco.

Dependancy for power on the Burmese thugs.

An impotent police force.

Has Bhudism failed been rejected overturned and if so why?

I see the present stuff like Philipines and Mexico where the slide to thuggery,

grills and kidnapping remove security for all but the most priviliged.

One can understand uneducated folks relying on fortune telling and amulets but leaders?

Also in this democracy what is the latest possible election date please?

Because this is a fairly secular society dotted by random nationalist/religiously-insane/extremist megalomaniacs hellbent on controlling everyone else, distorting the true meaning of the religion and corralling the sheep into believing that there is no place on this earth greater than Thailand.

Pue Thai claim 2 missing, 11 injured in army crackdown on red shirts

Pue Thai Party's centre for missing protesters claimed that it received complaints that two people went missing and 11 people were injured during the crackdown.

Party spokesman Prompong Nopparit stated during the press conference Friday afternoon that the two missing persons were a Roi Et man and a voluntary doctor who lived on Ladprao road. They have disappeared since night of April 13.

There were 11 people complaining of being injured. Some were hit on the head while some others were shot, he claimed.

Most of them were attacked at Din Daeng intersection, he said.

Moreover, Prompong also said that a victim filed complaint with police at the Bueang Kum police station, but the police denied to accept the complaint.

The spokesman denied to reveal identities of the injured and the missing persons.

- THE NATION -

Pue Thai Party's centre for missing protesters claimed that it received complaints that two people went missing and 11 people were injured during the crackdown.

Party spokesman Prompong Nopparit stated during the press conference Friday afternoon that the two missing persons were a Roi Et man and a voluntary doctor who lived on Ladprao road. They have disappeared since night of April 13.

There were 11 people complaining of being injured. Some were hit on the head while some others were shot, he claimed.

Moreover, Prompong also said that a victim filed complaint with police at the Bueang Kum police station, but the police denied to accept the complaint.

The spokesman denied to reveal identities of the injured and the missing persons.

- THE NATION -

What happened to the hundreds killed and the bodies taken away and dumped stories? We end up with two missing. Probably got on the wrong bus and are wandering around some Isaan village in a drugged state wondering what happened to their houses. What's the bet someone posts saying it wasn't the real Prompong Nopparit saying this, but a PAD imposter?

- THE NATION -

What happened to the hundreds killed and the bodies taken away and dumped stories? We end up with two missing. Probably got on the wrong bus and are wandering around some Isaan village in a drugged state wondering what happened to their houses. What's the bet someone posts saying it wasn't the real Prompong Nopparit saying this, but a PAD imposter?

:o:D :D

So true.

There is NO democracy in Thailand.

Courts can throw out any PM.

The courts were appointed by the Elite.

Heck--they threw out one PM for doing a tv show. HAAAA HAAAAA

I hate to say this, but I agree.

The judges are humans. There's an old saying "Humans are crooked, and so are the roads!"

So yeah, judges are to be pressured by external and internal factor that can somehow affect them to give an unfair verdict. This is a general term, but does not means that the Thai judges are unfair, or are they?

Quoted for the truth.

If the government, and our lovely Mr. Aphisit who loves to compare himself as a symbol of Democracy is indeed, Democracy like, tell us why you're controlling the media and restricting news and pictures of the dispersion.

I find it funny the press instantly have pictures of the yellow dispersion on air, and we have nothing, not a single cries of the Red Shirt on TV.

You call this Democracy?

Dont forget, the Nation's owner, Mr. Suthijaiyuun, is a Thaksin hater, and ThaiPBS and iTV was also once under his care to give a one-sided news.

Quoted for the truth.

If the government, and our lovely Mr. Aphisit who loves to compare himself as a symbol of Democracy is indeed, Democracy like, tell us why you're controlling the media and restricting news and pictures of the dispersion.

I find it funny the press instantly have pictures of the yellow dispersion on air, and we have nothing, not a single cries of the Red Shirt on TV.

You call this Democracy?

Dont forget, the Nation's owner, Mr. Suthijaiyuun, is a Thaksin hater, and ThaiPBS and iTV was also once under his care to give a one-sided news.

Gee, I don't know why they're not showing any of this. All the massacres and brutal beatings? Maybe because it's a pack of lies? If the red's own political party claims only two missing and eleven injured then what more evidence do you need? I get my news from an external satellite, can't be censored or edited by the Thai government. BBC, CNN, Al Jazeira, and guess what? None of them are showing any killings either. They're not showing much at all about Thailand now, it's yesterdays news. They were all reporting on how the red shirts killed the market worker who only wanted to go about his business, and attacked the residents of the flats they threatened to blow up, but not a word on any massacre by the army. Don't tell me Mr Suthijaiyuun owns the western media too?

Edited by ballpoint

BBC, CNN, Al Jazeira, and guess what? None of them are showing any killings either. They're not showing much at all about Thailand now, it's yesterdays news. They were all reporting on how the red shirts killed the market worker who only wanted to go about his business, and attacked the residents of the flats they threatened to blow up, but not a word on any massacre by the army. Don't tell me Mr Suthijaiyuun owns the western media too?

The assassination attempt on Sondthi was a leading story on BBC all yesterday and was backed up with reports and interviews with Abhisit.

Don't know where you get the idea they are not reporting on Thailand?