Marrying Upon Arrival, Visa Questions!

Hello,

I'm moving to Udonthani in August to get married to my Thai fiancee. What are my visa options in regards to Type O? I will be arriving on a 90 day tourist visa. I'm a U.S. citizen and 40 years old.

From the marriage date forward, how long will a Type O take? Will I have to leave the country (returning to the U.S. will be burdonsome)?

Any pitfalls I should look out for?

Thanks to anyone who has been there, done that! I appreciate your advice.

If you qualify for one year extensions of stay you can obtain the visa from Immigration as part of that process. 400k in Thai bank account of 40k income required.

Arrive on tourist visa for 60 day stay and extend 30 days. You can then extend another 60 days to visit wife if your money has not matured yet - then you change to non immigrant visa and extend your stay.

If you can not qualify for extensions of stay you will have to visit Malaysia or other country to obtain the non immigrant visa (which allows 90 day stays).

Once your marriage is registered at the local Amphur (District Office) and you can meet the financial requirements, you can change (convert) your tourist visa into a non-immigrant visa and then get a 1 year extension of stay based on marriage from immigration. In order to change your visa status you should have least 21 days remaining on your permission to stay. If you are using the 400,000 baht cash in a Thai bank route there is a 60 or 90 day, depending on the immigration office, seasoning period for the money. So as you can see, things can get tight.

Also, once your marriage is registered in Thailand, you can easily get a Non-Immigrant Visa from a local Thai Embassy or Consulate. So no need to return to the US.

Edited by InterestedObserver

Once your marriage is registered at the local Amphur (District Office) and you can meet the financial requirements, you can change (convert) your tourist visa into a non-immigrant visa and then get a 1 year extension of stay based on marriage from immigration. In order to change your visa status you should have least 21 days remaining on your permission to stay. If you are using the 400,000 baht cash in a Thai bank route there is a 60 or 90 day, depending on the immigration office, seasoning period for the money. So as you can see, things can get tight.

Also, once your marriage is registered in Thailand, you can easily get a Non-Immigrant Visa from a local Thai Embassy or Consulate. So no need to return to the US.

In my case, we have the option of showing that the spouse has the financial wherewithal to qualify for the support. I can also qualify using 2007 and 2008 tax returns, but for 2009, currently I am temporarily under-employed (hence the possible need to rely on the wife's finances).

Anyway, sounds reasonably straightforward.

"If you can not qualify for extensions of stay you will have to visit Malaysia or other country to obtain the non immigrant visa (which allows 90 day stays)."

Since he says he'll be in Udon Thani, I suppose that should be Laos, or other country.

In my case, we have the option of showing that the spouse has the financial wherewithal to qualify for the support. I can also qualify using 2007 and 2008 tax returns, but for 2009, currently I am temporarily under-employed (hence the possible need to rely on the wife's finances).

Anyway, sounds reasonably straightforward.

Nobody wants to see US tax returns. It's cash in a Thai bank or income affidavit from the US embassy, and it has to be your money, not the wife's. If you are talking about Thai tax returns, that is different.