Some Advice For Newbies Please!

Hi everyone,

I have been trying to work out the whole visa business and although i think i understand the options for us i am struggling to work out what will be the best option.

i was hoping if i outline our situation you might be able to advise us on what to do? any advice is greatly received! so ill say thanks in advance.. :o

Bascially we are heading to Ko Samui in July for 70days as im staying at the thai boxing camp and my girlfriend is hoping to get some casual work at a bar or something to keep her occupied and to top up her money

I had a look and it looked like the best option for me would be to get the 60day TV and then extend it on for a further 30days at the immagration office on Ko Samui,

- was wondering if i cant just go to the thai consulate in london and get my visa and then pay for the extra 30days then and there or do i have to wait till my visa is going to expire before they will let me??

- is there a better alternative option for me? i need to be there for 70days and dont intend to leave one im there??

My girlfriend will be there the same amount of time obveously however she really wants to work so she wont be bored and also as she wont have much money it would be good to top up her money.

- How hard will it be and how much does it cost to get a work visa?

- how many days are they valid for?

- ive heard there hard to get unless you have a job offer so would it be better for her to get the TV with me and then find a job when we get there, then get a letter from the potential employer and get her visa changed up to the WV at the immagration office in Nathon on Ko Samui?

Are there any other crucial mistakes or anything which i missing?

how far in advance should i plan to go into london to try and get the visas?

how serious is this trouble im reading about? is it likely to prevent us from being able to go in the sumer?

thnaks in advance for any advice

Tim :D

Your girl friend will need a work permit and B visa

and you have to extend your 60 day tourist visa on the 59th or 60th day

as for the troubles here you know as much as me

I'm sure you will get plenty of posts explaining more options best of luck

colino

It would be best if you sorted your visa out a few days before flying out there.If your from up north use the Hull consulate.A tourist visa would be the simple option for both of you.Extend it when your out there.As for your girlfriend working,I think she may struggle.The best thing, and a little more difficult would be for her to have the right paperwork so she can teach english(check out 'teaching in Thailand forum').

Good luck mate.

As said a tourist visa is all you need and extend during the last week or two (you do not lose any time for doing early). She will not be able to work legally for that amount of time. Teachers working full time often do not have legal work permit. There is no visa that allows work without a work permit.

Tourist Visa for both of you is the way to go. You don't mention what type of casual work for GF is looking for, but assuming she is a non-Thai national, she is not permitted to undertake any of the following occupations:

1. laboring

2. work in agriculture, animal breeding, forestry, fishing and farm supervision (excluding specialized skills for the branch, farm supervision or in the maritime fishing field)

3. masonry, carpentry or other construction work

4. wood carving

5. driving of motor vehicles or non-motorised carriers (except piloting international airplanes)

6. shop attendant and window salespeople

7. auctioneering

8. accountancy supervision, auditing or services in the accounting field (except occasional internal auditing)

9. gem cutting or polishing

10. hair cutting, hair dressing or beautician work

11. hand weaving

12. mat weaving or fabrication of wares from reed, rattan, kenaf, straw or bamboo pulp

13. manual fibre paper making

14. lacquerware making

15. Thai musical instrument fabrication

16. nielloware fabrication

17. goldsmith, silversmith, or other precious metalwork

18. bronzeware fabrication

19. Thai doll making

20. mattress or padded blanket fabrication

21. alms bowl fabrication

22. manual silk product fabrication

23. Buddha image fabrication

24. knife making

25. paper or cloth umbrella fabrication

26. shoemaking

27. hat making

28. brokerage or agency work (except international business)

29. engineering work, civil engineering branch, which involves designing, drawing, calculation, organization, research, planning, testing, construction supervision or advisory work (except work requiring specialized skills)

30. architectural work involving designing, drawing or estimating as well as construction supervision or advisory work

31. dressmaking

32. pottery or ceramics

33. manual cigarette rolling

34. tourist guide or tour organizing agency

35. hawking business

36. Thai character typesetting

37. clerical or secretarial work

38. legal or litigation service.

#6 covers any type of retail work including as a waiter or waitress in a bar or restaurant. A work permit is required before beginning work in any non-prohibited occupation. While employers are often willing to overlook the work permit requirement, the penalties for working without a permit are more severe for the undocumented employee than for the employer and include fines, imprisonment and/or deportation. Not advisable. Given that obtaining a work permit requires a fair amount of paperwork and some expense, most employers would be unwilling to go through this process for a short-term employee unless it was for a very rare skill or specific short-term project.

thanks everybody for the replies :o

just one more quick question, will i have a problem getting in with a 60days TV if my flight out is booked for 74 days later? as if they ask me id have to say im planning on extending my visa and i thought you wernt gaureneed the extention? thought i read that somewhere but i may be wrong?

also what is the cost of a 60day TV by the way?

really? tourist visas are free until the 4th June? :o

so all we have to do is go to the thai consulate in London and pick up two 60day visas ? is it better to fill out the applcaition forms before we go or just to fil them out while we wait? ( taking passport photos with us?)

Yes, they are free. But you will only get a single for free and might be better of sending your application to the consulate in Hull. Much friendlier and you can aply by mail and have your passport back a few days later.

HI Thanks for the Reply Mario,

by single do you mean we woudl only get 30 days free?

ok, so to apply to Hull for our Tourist Visas, do we just fill out the application forms and then send it all to the Hull thai Consulate by post special delviery?

my girlfriend lives just outside liverpool is there an office there?

Yes, they are free. But you will only get a single for free and might be better of sending your application to the consulate in Hull. Much friendlier and you can aply by mail and have your passport back a few days later.

HI Thanks for the Reply Mario,

by single do you mean we woudl only get 30 days free?

ok, so to apply to Hull for our Tourist Visas, do we just fill out the application forms and then send it all to the Hull thai Consulate by post special delviery?

my girlfriend lives just outside liverpool is there an office there?

A single tourist visa is 60 days, you can exetnd it in Thailand itself by another 30 days for 1,900 baht.

Not sure about Liverpool. For Hull have a lok here: http://www.thaiconsul.co.uk/

and download Aa from this page: http://www.thaiconsul.co.uk/downloads-and-visas.aspx