Songkran Tales

Ulysses G.

I was just sitting on Thapae Road near JJs when a British fellow of about 55 years old came striding up the street. He wasn't saying anything - just giving everyone the angry eye - like don't mess with me. He walked by a much older farang who squirted him with water without noticing his Charles Bronson act. He came back and started yelling and poking the old fellow who asked him to calm down as it was the last day of Songkran and didn't he know what to expect by now? He continued bellowing about kicking the old guys "arse", when up came a bunch more older farangs who had been watching and drenched him once again.

He went off down the street yelling and screaming and it seemed that everyone went out of their way to give him an extra bucketful all along the way.

At one of the busy junctions on the moat, 2 motorist one a songthae driver had obviously had a disagreement as the songthae driver was threatening the other driver with a samarai sword, unfortunately i had to keep moving so missed the end result, did he cut the other drivers head off ?

Hmm..not much tale wise.

I was attacked by an emu tho..does that count?

s7.jpg

And some official-looking photographer guy took several pics. So maybe ill get in the local rag. :D

s8.jpg

Took a breather watching the parade and was attacked in succession by a multitude of parade water throwers.

-----

Just one gripe..gotta say..im just not a fan of..ICE WATER! >.< :o

If you drink enough alcohol, the ice water don't matter too much anymore. :o

But yeah, I started my days at Number 1 bar largely because they didn't use ice water.. :D Then once wet and after sufficient alcohol I went out to face the ice water.. :D When you're completely wet then you don't really feel regular water anymore.

Honourable mention goes to the kids outside the Top North Guesthouse who used water from their roof tanks which was actually WARM! Truly wonderful for a change.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

(Even though I'm willing to bet money on it having being a pretty awesome party in 1972, too, and with similar complaints on how it's totally out of control now.. :o )

I won't take your bet. I was in Chiangmai for Songkran in 1971 and I remember it as being full on madness. Being a greenhorn, I didn't know about locking the doors on my vehicle. I figured it out after the doors were opened and buckets of moat water thrown in.

won't take your bet. I was in Chiangmai for Songkran in 1971 and I remember it as being full on madness. Being a greenhorn, I didn't know about locking the doors on my vehicle. I figured it out after the doors were opened and buckets of moat water thrown in.

Thank you - thank you - thank you!!

I knew it. :o

If you drink enough alcohol, the ice water don't matter too much anymore. :o

But yeah, I started my days at Number 1 bar largely because they didn't use ice water.. :D Then once wet and after sufficient alcohol I went out to face the ice water.. :D When you're completely wet then you don't really feel regular water anymore.

Honourable mention goes to the kids outside the Top North Guesthouse who used water from their roof tanks which was actually WARM! Truly wonderful for a change.

Number 1 Bar actually switched to ice water probably less than 10-15 minutes after you left!

-Mestizo

I have noticed that songkhran has many underlying purposes: 1. It gets rid of many dangerous drivers - and clips the wings of many more - in the seasonal road cull. 2. It allows Thai familys to identify future ladyboys amongst their kin - by observeing the totaly camp dancing of young potentials. 3. It allows outside observers to see what lies beneath the surface of the Thai psyche. 4. it allows all the nutters to vent their spleens.

Edited by deprogrammed

If you don't want to get wet during Songkran, stay at home!

This is my first Songkran in Thailand (Chiang Mai) ever. I participated for 4 days (as it really started on 11/04/2552 in CM). I really didn't want to deal with it yesterday, so I stayed home. I went back out today, for the last day, and finished it up with a wet bang. I had a blast, but I knew the deal- you go out during Songkran, and you get wet. This is not our (farangs') holiday. To feel like we are some how excluded from any excess of festival because we are farang is just arrogant.

During Songkran, I saw thousands, litteraly, of Thais being soaked and not a one complained. The only complaints I saw were from non-Thais. I'm really getting tired of pissing and moaning expats that feel like they should be treated differently here. We are, after all, guests in this country. I think a lot of things should be different in Thailand, but I accept it as a wonderful departure from my home country.

Why in the world would you want to live/ visit Thailand if you can't accept the differences that it has to offer. I agree that the differences aren't all good, but hey- there's always the option to leave. Why pick on an old man spashing you with water (farang or otherwise)? Guarantee that guy wouldn't had done the same to a Thai. Hmmmm..... wonder why that is? Guess he figured he could take out his aggressions out on someone who wouldn't want to fight back.

Bully go home and leave Thailand for those who can appreciate it!

Obviously written by a tourist that is totally ignorant about how Songkran is celebrated outside of Kao San Road, Pattaya Beachroad, and Chiang Mai's moat area.

Obviously? I've lived in Chiang Mai for almost 8 months. I'll probably be here for another year. I'm hardly a tourist, though I really appreciate your condescending tone.

No, I've never celebrated Songkran anywhere else but here in CM. That being said, when a holiday approaches that I haven't experienced, I ask questions. That way I know what to expect and also how to, and not, behave. I do this because I respect Thai culture and understand its regional differences. I live in CM. If I lived anywhere else, I'd do my best to try to find out how holidays are celebrated there. Hardly an approach I think an ignorant tourist would take.

I was just sitting on Thapae Road near JJs when a British fellow of about 55 years old came striding up the street. He wasn't saying anything - just giving everyone the angry eye - like don't mess with me. He walked by a much older farang who squirted him with water without noticing his Charles Bronson act. He came back and started yelling and poking the old fellow who asked him to calm down as it was the last day of Songkran and didn't he know what to expect by now? He continued bellowing about kicking the old guys "arse", when up came a bunch more older farangs who had been watching and drenched him once again.

He went off down the street yelling and screaming and it seemed that everyone went out of their way to give him an extra bucketful all along the way.

If you don't want to get wet during Songkran, stay at home!

This is my first Songkran in Thailand (Chiang Mai) ever. I participated for 4 days (as it really started on 11/04/2552 in CM). I really didn't want to deal with it yesterday, so I stayed home. I went back out today, for the last day, and finished it up with a wet bang. I had a blast, but I knew the deal- you go out during Songkran, and you get wet. This is not our (farangs') holiday. To feel like we are some how excluded from any excess of festival because we are farang is just arrogant.

During Songkran, I saw thousands, litteraly, of Thais being soaked and not a one complained. The only complaints I saw were from non-Thais. I'm really getting tired of pissing and moaning expats that feel like they should be treated differently here. We are, after all, guests in this country. I think a lot of things should be different in Thailand, but I accept it as a wonderful departure from my home country.

Why in the world would you want to live/ visit Thailand if you can't accept the differences that it has to offer. I agree that the differences aren't all good, but hey- there's always the option to leave. Why pick on an old man spashing you with water (farang or otherwise)? Guarantee that guy wouldn't had done the same to a Thai. Hmmmm..... wonder why that is? Guess he figured he could take out his aggressions out on someone who wouldn't want to fight back.

Bully go home and leave Thailand for those who can appreciate it!

Poster boy for the farang who doesn't understand SK and pisses off Thais and farangs alike.

To my knowledge, I haven't pissed off any Thais since I've been here. I do my best to respect Thais as I understand I'm, ultimately, a guest in their country. I'm not quite as concerned about pissing off farangs, though. You appear to be pretty good at it too......

Basically, as the majority of Thais understands pretty well but the majority of falangs doesn't understand the least --- the water "shared" at Songkran is supposed to be a BLESSING and not an excuse for some falang idiots to spoil several hours of someone else's day!

Yes, and the males in that majority also understand it's an excuse to touch up young girls who fall into their grasp! Almost all the girls I know love Songkran, but are also very wary of getting too close to groups of drunken young men.

Obviously written by a tourist that is totally ignorant about how Songkran is celebrated outside of Kao San Road, Pattaya Beachroad, and Chiang Mai's moat area.

[

Or Chiang Rai, Mae Sae, Lamphun, Lampang, Pitsanulok, Trad, Pichit, Rayong and any other places I've celebrated Songkran in which involve far fewer tourists than CM.

Having experienced Songkran a number of times in both village and city, I have had a range of experiences from very polite behavior to the most drunken or immature celebration. It is wretched excess that is the sad part.

On the "fun side," I have given out as good as I have gotten (almost). I have never used ice nor water coloring. I have never hit a motorcyclist. That sort of thing. But things unfortunately do get out of hand. This year, I actually passed a guy supine in the middle of the pavement of a four-lane highway drunk in the middle of the water he had been dousing passersby with. And that was in the early afternoon!

More than a few people were killed or injured this year, as in previous years. That is not, I think, in the traditional spirit of the celebration of the new year. So, I do suggest that those just interested in mayhem take their squirt guns elsewhere. Maybe Times Square in New York City at the calendar new year? Try hosing someone down there and see what happens!

Edited by Mapguy

More than a few people were killed or injured this year, as in previous years. That is not, I think, in the traditional spirit of the celebration of the new year. So, I do suggest that those just interested in mayhem take their squirt guns elsewhere. Maybe Times Square in New York City at the calendar new year? Try hosing someone down there and see what happens!

Los Angles would be better than New York to try the squirt guns. Californians carry more real guns for exchange fire. :o

Also, has the fatality list been published yet for drownings in the moat and motor accidents?

Witnessed divers pulling what looked like a young Thai male from the moat Tuesday afternoon on Sriphoom, across from the Seventh Day aventist church. The victim was rushed off in an ambulance, dunno if they survived, but they had clearly been underwater several minutes and had a blue tinge so the chances were not good.

Survival chances were further reduced by the large crowd of rubber neckers who ran over to gawp as the rescuers were trying to pull him clear meaning there was no way for them to start immediate resucitation and it took them a further precious minute or two to fight through the crowd to the ambulance.

I guess this scene was repeated a few more times over the holiday...........

I think that anyone who ventures out on Songkran from late morning until say 6-7pm around the moat and KSK should be aware that no matter how they are dressed, they are going to get soaked. If you dont want to get soak, protect your clothing/items and/or avoid those areas. Its really is a persons own fault if they dont realise that and get wet. But, I do think that certain areas/zones should be soak free, or just traditional water pouring.

I saw one guy around 3 kings area. Seemed to be a tourist and i think didnt realise how severe the water pouring can get. He had a big expensive looking camera with him and was looking really ticked off whilst inspecting it. No protection on it at all. Felt sorry for him, but really at the same time, he should realise that people are happy and gung-ho when water throwing. They are not stopping to check if they should throw water on someone or not. Its a free for all situation. Come prepared!

10th April..

I was in CM for a few days before coming home to Fang. I like to got to bed early and rise early, so i left my guest House...the Grace House on Moonmuang Soi 9 at about 5.00 am and went for a coffee in the seven-eleven at Somphet market beside the moat. There was a tow truck and crowd, and supposedly a pick-up underwater there. After my coffee I went to look and started taking photos. Evidently some time after 4.00am a drunk driver of the pick-up was speeding along MoonMuang road and swerved to avoid hitting a pedestrian. He snapped a moat-side tree off at the bottom and flew some distance to land in the deep water near the end. A farang who was sitting on the side of the moat opposite, near the all-night pub there, saw it all happen, and later told me that he rushed to help. The car doors wouldn't open so he took off his shirt and used it to protect his hand as he punched out the rear cab window. He got the driver out OK and both of them were unhurt. I stayed to take photos until dawn when they pulled the car out. Later that day I took the photos to a news agency near Wat Phrasingh and gave them to them for free.

paagai

quote ..... Survival chances were further reduced by the large crowd of rubber neckers who ran over to gawp as the rescuers were trying to pull him clear meaning there was no way for them to start immediate resucitation and it took them a further precious minute or two to fight through the crowd to the ambulance.

I guess this scene was repeated a few more times over the holiday...........

not for one person im affraid !

a body floating face down in the water (only the crown of the head was showing ) was found about 5 pm this afternoon oposite the park with a pair of flip flops a tee shirt and a pair of trousers on a nearby bench .

RIP ... Whoever you were ?

dave 2

ps ..... ive no idea if it was a thai or falang male or female coz the cops hadnt arrived when i left

To my knowledge, I haven't pissed off any Thais since I've been here. I do my best to respect Thais as I understand I'm, ultimately, a guest in their country. I'm not quite as concerned about pissing off farangs, though. You appear to be pretty good at it too......
To my knowledge

That's the key operative phrase Brycat. I know you've been in Thailand a whole 8 months but you sound to me like a person who doesn't always know what's behind the Thai smile.

I'm not quite as concerned about pissing off farangs

You will when you douse the wrong Farang at the wrong time and get a fist in your face.

To my knowledge

That's the key operative phrase Brycat. I know you've been in Thailand a whole 8 months but you sound to me like a person who doesn't always know what's behind the Thai smile.

I'm not quite as concerned about pissing off farangs

You will when you douse the wrong Farang at the wrong time and get a fist in your face.

Very eloquent responses JXXL. I understand the Thai smile all too well. You're not the only farang with insight into Thai culture. You know nothing about me, something you should have considered especially before writing your last comment, and your assumptions are way off base. Keep bickering and making threats if you'd like, but I'm finished with this little exchange with you.