Motor Insurance And Tourist Visa

thairookie

I'm on a Tourist Visa, and it looks increasingly likely that I will have to stay put with a Tourist Visa. In the meantime, I'm considering getting a car. I understand that with a TR it's impossible for me to change my existing DL to a Thai DL. My DL is of Singapore origin and I believe it permits me to drive in Thailand. The only problem is insurance. I have been told that without a Thai DL, insurance company may not be prepared to pay in the event of an accident.

What are my options ? (For the time being, please leave Non-Immigrant 'O' and 'B' Visa aside)

I hire a car when in Thailand. I find the best way is to hire from a reputable company and pay by credit card. This automatically gives me full insurance and even covers excess. I have never had a problem. The "higher" the card is ie platinum v gold, the better the cover. I never take out the hirer's insurance as it is not needed. This saves a lot. You can view what is actually covered by the card's insurer by contacting the card company or try looking them up on the WWW. In my case it is Allianze. Also covers me for general travel insurance - including health. Saves me getting health travel insurance. But you should check out exactly what you are covered for. All in all it saves me about 20 000 bht over the last two trips.

The Insurance Companies in Thailand will recognise and allow a legal 'foreign' DL.

However as a Thai DL is not difficult to obtain we would suggest it is only sensible to get one if you are driving here.

Does that mean that a Thai DL can be obtained against a Tourist Visa ?

For me, it's not the difficulty with getting a Thai DL; it's a Non-Immigrant 'O' or 'B' type Visa that I am experiencing difficulty. And I understand from all available publications that a Visa other than a Tourist Visa is a pre-requisite to obtaining a Thai DL. I hope to be proven wrong.

Well that's the first we have heard of that !

As long as you can jump through the usual hoops i.e. Residence Certificate etc. you can get a Thai DL on a Tourist Visa.

May we ask if you have actually been to the office in your area and asked ?

No, I've not been. I based my presumption on the information available on the Internet, such as thaivisa website: http://www.thaivisa.com/320.0.html where it says

"The following are required to make the application :

1. Passport with valid Non-immigrant Visa. (Individuals with a Tourist Visa don't qualify)"

Edited by thairookie

The reason was, we asked one of our Thai staff to check so they phoned the local licensing office and was told one could get a license as long as one had the letter of residence etc etc but also mentioned a Tourist Visa was acceptable !

Now that is something new...and a good one too ! I will have to make a trip to the relevant office.

Correct me if I am wrong. A letter of residence can be obtained from my embassy in Bkk ?

Edited by thairookie

http://driving.information.in.th/driving-licence.html

Here is another website that says "tourist visa" cannot apply for Thai DL. :o

And I have one more hurdle which I think I will fall flat - color blindness test. I possess a S'pore DL for more than 10 years, and never been required to take any color blindness test.

May I ask thaivisainsurance which transport office your staff had actually called ? From where I live, I think I will have to apply to Head Office at Chatujak.

Edited by thairookie

http://driving.information.in.th/driving-licence.html

Here is another website that says "tourist visa" cannot apply for Thai DL. :o

And I have one more hurdle which I think I will fall flat - color blindness test. I possess a S'pore DL for more than 10 years, and never been required to take any color blindness test.

May I ask thaivisainsurance which transport office your staff had actually called ? From where I live, I think I will have to apply to Head Office at Chatujak.

The transport office was in Banglamung tel no : 038 069 054-5

You can get your residence certificate at your local immigration office and there will be a colour test I'm afraid.

You can get your residence certificate at your local immigration office and there will be a colour test I'm afraid.

I've been trying to extricate myself from such predicament since entering Thailand. Since a Singapore DL is recognized by the government and insurance companies, I hope I'm correct by saying I can still purchase a car in Thailand and drive in Thailand. The only thing I have to make sure is the insurance policy; if it's my personal car I can make sure that the policy covers a Singapore DL driver. But I will have to be cautious when driving somebody else's car as his or her policy may not cover a non-Thai DL driver.

You think it's workable ?

The only remaining problem is when I'm blocked by police, not sure if they understand the English words on my Singapore DL, or whether they've seen one before.

I've been trying to extricate myself from such predicament since entering Thailand. Since a Singapore DL is recognized by the government and insurance companies, I hope I'm correct by saying I can still purchase a car in Thailand and drive in Thailand. The only thing I have to make sure is the insurance policy; if it's my personal car I can make sure that the policy covers a Singapore DL driver. But I will have to be cautious when driving somebody else's car as his or her policy may not cover a non-Thai DL driver.

You think it's workable ?

The only remaining problem is when I'm blocked by police, not sure if they understand the English words on my Singapore DL, or whether they've seen one before.

Thai Visa Insurance has sent you a PM

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Sorry for my ignorance , but how would the OP get a residence certificate from immigration to give to the licensing authority if they are only on Tourist visa ( i thought Tourist visa is just that you are a tourist not a resident especially considering the rules relating you cannot get tourist visa after tourist visa without eventually having to leave the country for 90 days ??)

It’s worth a try to apply for the Thai Licence.

I applied a month or so ago.

I had the type B Visa, the Letter of Residence from my Embassy, the Medical certification, British driving licence and International Permit.

The Department of Land Transport processed me rather quickly. I’m sure they didn’t pay attention to the photocopies of my visa page and wanted a copy of my British licence only (not interested in the Int’l licence).

I would suggest to the OP to get his letter of residence, get his medical certification, and go down to the Department of Land transport and make the application.

I obtained a letter of Residence from my Embassy and a quick medical at the nearest hospital.

The reason was, we asked one of our Thai staff to check so they phoned the local licensing office and was told one could get a license as long as one had the letter of residence etc etc but also mentioned a Tourist Visa was acceptable !

Now that is something new...and a good one too ! I will have to make a trip to the relevant office.

Correct me if I am wrong. A letter of residence can be obtained from my embassy in Bkk ?

residence letter from immigration pattaya if you are there

yes colour blindness test now and watch video of roadsigns so you know what signs they dont have on the roads

It’s worth a try to apply for the Thai Licence.

I applied a month or so ago.

I had the type B Visa, the Letter of Residence from my Embassy, the Medical certification, British driving licence and International Permit.

The Department of Land Transport processed me rather quickly. I’m sure they didn’t pay attention to the photocopies of my visa page and wanted a copy of my British licence only (not interested in the Int’l licence).

I would suggest to the OP to get his letter of residence, get his medical certification, and go down to the Department of Land transport and make the application.

I obtained a letter of Residence from my Embassy and a quick medical at the nearest hospital.

Richard mate did you get the letter of residence from the embassy over the counter and what documents did they wanted to see?