Eating....

Guys,

I have been told that restaurants cook food milder when they see its for westerners than when its for local people. I love rich/spicy food so is there a phrase to say when ordering to ensure its as authentic as poss......

Thanks

BigD

this is the opposite, you have to specify the level of chili otherwise it's always the original recipe for thai people unless you go to thai restaurant dedicated to foreigners.

you can say "sai prik men gan khrun thai" wich means add chili like for thai people.

I have the same problem, cooks trying to give me farang style food urggghh! Or even worse, they put the chili's in, but won't crush them as an apparent act of sympathy, so one moment you're eating the blandest curry ever, and the next moment you're hit with a whole chili! Nice!

Anyway, here are a few phrases which let them know I mean business :o

เอาเผ็ดมากๆจริงๆครับ

ow-pet-mark-mark-jing-jing-kap

i want super spicy and i'm not joking

เอาเผ็ดคนไทยครับ มิใช่เผ็ดฝรั่งน่ะ

ow-pet-kon-thai-kap mee-chai-pet-farang-na

i want spicy for thai people, not westerners gottit?

เอาเผ็ดจะตายแน่ๆ ไอมิใช่พูดเล่นน่ะ

ow-pet-ja-die-ner-ner i-mee-chi-put-let-na

i want to die from the spiciness, not joking yeh?!!

and of course my all time favorite that will be accepted as an instant challenge by the cook to try and "make the stupid farang puke"

เผ็ดสลบไสล

pet-salop-salay

is a play on words of the dop-salop-salay which literally translated means "to hit"-"unconscious"-"shattered", so in the same sense, "spicy""-"unconscious"-"shattered". Will get you a smile from using it anyway!

Bring on the sumtam!!!

Whilst my Thai is nowhere near the above, a few years experience has taught me to say nothing - you will get the Thai dish in 99% of places. My previous g/f always used to say 'farang, mai pet kaa' which always ended up sweet and tasteless, after a year or so I cottoned on to this and told her not to speak about it - just order.

pet (spicy)

pet nit noy (a little spicy)

pet mak mak (very spicy)

pet sud sud (SPICY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

example:

ow pad krapow gai, pet mak, kop koon krahp

ow pad prik gang gai, pet mak, kop koon krahp <3

arroi mak mak

:o

Just a warning, you might " think " you want to compete with the Locals when it comes to your Chilli but......................

Be prepared... :D

What's that hemorrhoid cream called again? :o

Just a warning, you might " think " you want to compete with the Locals when it comes to your Chilli but......................

Not sure but Kleenex sounds good... :D

malcolmswaine

เอาเผ็ดมากๆจริงๆครับ

Wouldn't that actually be: "(I) want (it) very spicy, really."

Isn't there a word in Thai for "super," and "joking"?

Also, when you Romanize "not" shouldn't it be "mai"? "Mee" is "have," isn't it? "Mai mee," would be "don't have," right?

I just mention this so that we who read the Romanization can end up saying something in the right ballpark.

Edit: Sorry, just noticed the "mark-mark." I bet "mak-mak" would get you further down the road...

Oh, and when you say you "love rich/spicy food," I wonder if you really know how fierce some Thai dishes can be. Just make sure your health insurance is up to date....:o

Edited by Mark Wolfe

malcolmswaine
เอาเผ็ดมากๆจริงๆครับ

Also, when you Romanize "not" shouldn't it be "mai"? "Mee" is "have," isn't it? "Mai mee," would be "don't have," right?

I just mention this so that we who read the Romanization can end up saying something in the right ballpark.

Edit: Sorry, just noticed the "mark-mark." I bet "mak-mak" would get you further down the road...

Oh, and when you say you "love rich/spicy food," I wonder if you really know how fierce some Thai dishes can be. Just make sure your health insurance is up to date....:o

just reading some of the other suggestions. i would suggest you ask in the thai language forums, some of the suggestions are quite laughable.

order your food and specify "aw rot chat khon thai"

Edited by t.s

malcolmswaine
เอาเผ็ดมากๆจริงๆครับ

Oh, and when you say you "love rich/spicy food," I wonder if you really know how fierce some Thai dishes can be. Just make sure your health insurance is up to date....:D

Yep, for starters a genuine "Tom Yum Goong" from the hot pot!

As the soup is piping hot, the action of the chillies is anhanced -

a genuine taste bud buster!

Next try some "na:m prik kapi" (chili salsa) best is home made!

My favorite is "na:m prik pla: tu: pak tom"

a wonderful typical thai dish, fried asian mackerel chili salsa and blanched vegetables.

The "na:m prik" that is usually accompanying seafood dishes - made of

fresh chilies (prik kee no:), garlic, lime juice and some fish sauce is a hit too!

Som Tam pet, pet, saeb, saeb!

try it and let s know!

Not sure but Kleenex sounds good... :D

Remember to put the Kleenex in the freezer the night before. (Didn't Johnny Cash make a record about Spicy food??) :D

malcolmswaine
เอาเผ็ดมากๆจริงๆครับ

Oh, and when you say you "love rich/spicy food," I wonder if you really know how fierce some Thai dishes can be. Just make sure your health insurance is up to date.... :D

Yep, for starters a genuine "Tom Yum Goong" from the hot pot!

As the soup is piping hot, the action of the chillies is anhanced -

a genuine taste bud buster!

Next try some "na:m prik kapi" (chili salsa) best is home made!

My favorite is "na:m prik pla: tu: pak tom"

a wonderful typical thai dish, fried asian mackerel chili salsa and blanched vegetables.

The "na:m prik" that is usually accompanying seafood dishes - made of

fresh chilies (prik kee no:), garlic, lime juice and some fish sauce is a hit too!

Som Tam pet, pet, saeb, saeb!

try it and let s know!

Yep, Tom Yum Goong from the hot pot should do the trick :D although you may experience immediate heart burn akin to drinking a neat shot of battery acid. I agree with other posters as to thinking very carefully before matching locals resistance to spicy food.

Som Tam really is ace but if you happen to have a girlfriend like mine who insists on sip-song prik and Nam Palaa be quite insistant she cleans her teeth before getting romantic. If you do have a girlfriend who ever gets frisky after eating her Som Tam I'd suggest forgoing anything oral for at least an hour unless you enjoy severe burn... saeb saeb is an undestatement :D

looking forward to trying Naam Prik Pla Tu: pak Tom, never tried it and sounds great. Thanks for the tip.

Yep, Tom Yum Goong from the hot pot should do the trick :D although you may experience immediate heart burn akin to drinking a neat shot of battery acid. I agree with other posters as to thinking very carefully before matching locals resistance to spicy food.

Som Tam really is ace but if you happen to have a girlfriend like mine who insists on sip-song prik and Nam Palaa be quite insistant she cleans her teeth before getting romantic. If you do have a girlfriend who ever gets frisky after eating her Som Tam I'd suggest forgoing anything oral for at least an hour unless you enjoy severe burn... saeb saeb is an undestatement :D

looking forward to trying Naam Prik Pla Tu: pak Tom, never tried it and sounds great. Thanks for the tip.

:o:D