Reverse Culture Shock!

mrt273nva

I am returning to the US in 2 days for the first time in 4 years (I am only going for a month though). I am pretty nervous going back because I have heard that reverse culture shock is often worse than regular culture shock. Does anyone have experiences of returning home after a long stint in Thailand? Did anything really stick out? Was it difficult?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am returning to the US in 2 days for the first time in 4 years (I am only going for a month though). I am pretty nervous going back because I have heard that reverse culture shock is often worse than regular culture shock. Does anyone have experiences of returning home after a long stint in Thailand? Did anything really stick out? Was it difficult?

I had a similar time in the LoS before returning to blighty - my first couple of days back home

Walking to the local shop working out in my head how to ask for eggs and bacon in Thai! Duh oh yeah " do you have eggs and bacon"

Out with mates at a disco then constantly asking when are we going to the girlie bars ! mates shut da *uck up you are in England...

Shopping in supermarket at checkout "do you have a nectar card? (reward card)" erh no but I have a credit card ! :o

Talking to someone I hadn't seen for years. Me "i've been away for over 4 years " Them " cripes, what did you do?" (being away = in jail)

If its a short time you are going back for its an enjoyable experience as its a holiday.... enjoy

I had a similar time in the LoS before returning to blighty - my first couple of days back home

Walking to the local shop working out in my head how to ask for eggs and bacon in Thai! Duh oh yeah " do you have eggs and bacon"

Out with mates at a disco then constantly asking when are we going to the girlie bars ! mates shut da *uck up you are in England...

Shopping in supermarket at checkout "do you have a nectar card? (reward card)" erh no but I have a credit card ! :o

Talking to someone I hadn't seen for years. Me "i've been away for over 4 years " Them " cripes, what did you do?" (being away = in jail)

If its a short time you are going back for its an enjoyable experience as its a holiday.... enjoy

Aww come on..someone has to know where the thread for "You know you've been in Thailand too long when..." put the link up for the OP!

(no time myslef to find it - but it IS funny!)

I went back to the USA last April to visit the folks. I had to constantly remind myself to drive in the right lane :o It also seemed strange to not be surrounded by motorcycles and food vendors.

And it was sooooooooooo quiet :D

Iwent back to the US after not being there for 9 years. I couldn't wait to get out. Unfriendly fat people that think you are a pervert if you smile at anyone. But on the upside, driving was great and relaxing, could find anything to eat anytime of day or night. It was easy to comprehend what was being said and people did not seem to mind saying "I don't know".

But on the whole I'd rather be in Thailand. Sometimes I miss the easy communications and being able to read the signs. Yeah I know learn to read Thai. Just to lazy for that.

I think after couple of days you'll be ok.Don't smile too much,some people could see you as a weirdo.. :o

or gay....

when going across a street: I start in Thailand so that I pass behind the car just in time.

I tried the same in Austria and all the cars full brake almost had an accident and all the driver showed me that I am an idiot.

I am also headed back shortly and frankly, look forward to it every year. :o But, I didn't leave the US because I hated it or because I was looking for something better. My permanent departure just sort of happened to me. :D

Anyway, the first time back in about 4 years was tough (this is years ago mind). There had been alot of technological changes that I had a hard time adapting to, or course, the fact i live on a little island might have had something to do with it too.

It was difficult coming to terms with the sheer variety of stuff at the supermarket (how many brands of toilet paper does one need?) and freeway driving still freaks me out a bit. But, all in all, adaption is quick. Sit back and enjoy the comfortable life, the ease of communication and the 450 channels of crap on tv :D

Cultural shock is more about state of mind when everything is better and superior in the place you came from. May last for years, even forever.

While girls could be better in Thailand, I doubt much else (cracked pavements, stray dogs, traffic...) would make you cry.

i am also headed back (tonight!) for the first time in 5 or 6 years (went back to NY for a week 2 years ago, but this time i am headed to colorado, which i mostly grew up in, but haven't been to in a loooooong time!) i am worried about the reverse shock too- especially since i have the weekend to adjust and then i go to work in an office (haven't done that in years either!) on monday!

i will really miss the diversity of people i meet in thailand, the weather, the laid back fun, freedom, and being able to tune out another language.

can't say there is much of anything i am looking forward to experiencing in the states! except the paychecks!

Edited by girlx

The longest I've ever done without going back to 'the old country' is 4 years.

I was expecting reverse culture shock, but instead found I walked out of the airport and it was like I'd never been away - just slipped right back into the life style without a hitch.

I think living in your own culture is like riding a bike, you just don't forget how to do it - truly second nature.

I think the longest I've been away without any return home is about 6 years and I never really experienced any culture shock except for how deserted the streets were in residential areas. It was like some scene out of a post aplocalyptic virus movie.

Another was the lack of street dogs but that was a welcome change.

The biggest shock I had was when I went out to buy some music tapes for my pick up. My sister nearly fell off the stool when in desperation I finally asked where you could buy cassette tapes. She suggested try the charity shops. :o

Only going back for a month? That's just a holiday. Catch up with your family and old mates and have a great time. Culture shock doesn't kick in for such a short time :o

Try going back for six months or more.

The one time I had an extended stay in Thailand after living amongst Thais with very few Farang interactions, upon my return to an American university, I was a caught a bit off guard when my brain perceived all the white people as looking alike. For the first week I was comfortable making eye contact with Asians and less comfortable making eye contact with Caucasians. But that was some 20 years ago when the ex-pat population outside Bangkok and the beaches was quite small and I was about the only Farang residing in the local Amphoe.

i am also headed back (tonight!) ....

....can't say there is much of anything i am looking forward to experiencing in the states! except the paychecks!

girlx, i think we are living parallel lives. both from the US, both went to Koh Phangan then back to Bangkok, and now returning to the US within a day of each other. I've probably met you before and we just don't know it. Anyway, do you have plans of coming back to Thailand or are you moving back to the States? For me, I am looking for open doors and will return to Thailand if there is nothing there for me. Gotta support the family now ya know...

... i know, i seem to remember we went to bali around the same time too! funny that.

For me, I am looking for open doors and will return to Thailand if there is nothing there for me.

me too... i do have plans to return to thailand in august but i am open to any other paths life might lead me down. never know what might happen in this 3 months!

good luck!

... i know, i seem to remember we went to bali around the same time too! funny that.
For me, I am looking for open doors and will return to Thailand if there is nothing there for me.

me too... i do have plans to return to thailand in august but i am open to any other paths life might lead me down. never know what might happen in this 3 months!

good luck!

never been to bali. Singapore on occasion but that is as near to Bali as I got unfortunately.

After spending 15 months in Thailand and then a weekend in Hull City Center waiting for the Consulate to open the reverse culture shock was that much I wanted to throw myself under a bus! (apologies to any one from Hull)

:o i used to visit Hull as a sales rep and it was the first time I had witnessed a retail shop that kept its front door locked and only opened it once a customer rang a bell. Scary place Hull.

back to op.

No plastic bags on peeps head when it rains in the US?

Somehow my butt doesn't feel as clean without the bun gun :o

RIGHT ON THE NAIL !!!

Left Melbourne when i was 12, need a Map to get around.

I seem to roam around in a daze...... marvell at looking at all the white people. Love to get a coffe in shopping malls and watch the world go by

Dont get any of the jokes at parties....... your just not up todate on the latest funny things

Edited by skippybangkok

After spending 15 months in Thailand and then a weekend in Hull City Center waiting for the Consulate to open the reverse culture shock was that much I wanted to throw myself under a bus! (apologies to any one from Hull)

:o i used to visit Hull as a sales rep and it was the first time I had witnessed a retail shop that kept its front door locked and only opened it once a customer rang a bell. Scary place Hull.

back to op.

No plastic bags on peeps head when it rains in the US?

I used to work for a Hull based Multi-National Company, in the 70's. Hull seemed OK then, similar to everywhere else in the UK. How the UK has changed for the worse.

I had to return back to the UK for 10 days duration last year. I never unpacked my case. The plane back out could not come fast enough. Even the local town centre pubs, which I used to frequent, had all closed down. :D

Interesting topic. I was 3 years in Thailand without returning to US.

I immediately noticed that the landscape is so much prettier in Thailand, the bright greens I never paid attention to now I missed because the dark and bare and brown trees of home were dreary.

As a lover of women, I found a lot of really sexy non-Thai women all over. I had always thought Thai women were the most beautiful. Now I found sexy farang, mixed, Mexican, Vietnamese, all of them. I just wanted to get some non-Thai women for a change, which did not take long fortunately. Alas, I ended up going back to Sao Thai exclusively.

Milk problem. I grew up drinking a lot of milk. In Thailand the milk was so bad I drank none, for years. Upon return to US I just guzzled that fresh milk I'd missed, but it made me sick (gas, etc). All the time away from milk ruined my ability to enjoy it again. I still don't drink much milk, wish I could.

I got a job in US that paid great money. Not sure how many of those jobs are around right now, but I loved the "culture shock" of being a citizen that could buy a home! I bought one right away and settled down in that home and fixed it up and built a happy life.

As for longterm shock, I did develop a distaste for American-raised Asian women. They have identity issues and it's not just me. They do not like it when you find them attractive. Even though most Asian women end up dating farang in my area, they consider it a badge of honor if their farang has never dated an Asian before. If you express that you find Asian women attractive, they think you have a problem. Imagine that.

Interesting topic. I was 3 years in Thailand without returning to US.

I immediately noticed that the landscape is so much prettier in Thailand, the bright greens I never paid attention to now I missed because the dark and bare and brown trees of home were dreary.

As a lover of women, I found a lot of really sexy non-Thai women all over. I had always thought Thai women were the most beautiful. Now I found sexy farang, mixed, Mexican, Vietnamese, all of them. I just wanted to get some non-Thai women for a change, which did not take long fortunately. Alas, I ended up going back to Sao Thai exclusively.

Milk problem. I grew up drinking a lot of milk. In Thailand the milk was so bad I drank none, for years. Upon return to US I just guzzled that fresh milk I'd missed, but it made me sick (gas, etc). All the time away from milk ruined my ability to enjoy it again. I still don't drink much milk, wish I could.

I got a job in US that paid great money. Not sure how many of those jobs are around right now, but I loved the "culture shock" of being a citizen that could buy a home! I bought one right away and settled down in that home and fixed it up and built a happy life.

As for longterm shock, I did develop a distaste for American-raised Asian women. They have identity issues and it's not just me. They do not like it when you find them attractive. Even though most Asian women end up dating farang in my area, they consider it a badge of honor if their farang has never dated an Asian before. If you express that you find Asian women attractive, they think you have a problem. Imagine that.

It's funny you say that about Westernized Asian women - the ones I have met I have no interest in them maybe I prefer the fun of non hi-so normal Thai girls who know how to laugh and have a good time instead of having the fun kicked out of them through education..

Back to culture shock...in the UK

Learning new words ie Chav = down and out, uneducated loud mouthed, dole scrounger (living from the government) the UK is awash with them...shame really

I'm afraid the Great has been taken out of Britain. Mass immigration too, you cannot walk down any high street without hearing Polish or an Eastern European language.....

For the UK peeps on the board - 7 - 11's versus the local corner shop !

I remember missing being able to pop into the 7 - 11 for some great tasting snack...

Corner shop a f*cking Ginsters Pasty !!