Reverse Culture Shock!

mrt273nva

I go home every year and enjoy it every year. I think it helps if, instead of always focusing on the negative, like so many people seem to do either in Thailand or outside of it, consider the positive.

I love being able to spend time with my family, watch my nephew grow up. I love the variety of food, the comfortable lifestyle (dishwasher, washing machine and dryer, abundant hot water), appreciate the cool weather (it is nice to not sweat sometimes), the variety of restaurants, being able to drive without living in fear of running over some idiot who feels the need to overtake even tho there is oncoming traffic.

If all you do is compare then no matter where you are, it will always fall short.

I guess I don't understand the seeming need to criticize and complain. Why can't you just appreciate the good attributes of both places?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why can't you just appreciate the good attributes of both places?

Very true & basically how I feel about it.

My problem is after getting to either place I miss the other :D

Although on this end...USA..... The price shock is always hard :)

Upon arriving at JFK instead of being the passenger in my fathers car I got in the drivers seat. When I fired up my old car after 4 years I managed to pull out on the wrong side of the road and as I had an international driving permit because my US license expired I immediately gave up driving as I didn't want to explain my situation to the Pennsylvania State Police. The food sat like a rock in my stomach, I think it was the Philly Cheese Stake I had been craving for 4 years that did the trick. After nearly a week of trying to adapt to the heavy unhealthy foods I thought I couldn't live without I was turning green so good old dad took me to a Thai restaurant where they proceeded to serve me something resembling Chinese fusion and when I went to ask the chief to make me authentic Thai food (I asked in Thai) only to find out he was in fact Chinese and had no clue how to cook Thai food! Two days latter we found a real Thai takeout place with actual Thai people which was cool (it wasn't my ego) but it was fun to see the look on their faces when I spoke Thai to them and ordered for my family what wasn't fun was the bill of over $85.00 for the food I could have bought in Chiang Mai for around 400฿ much to my embarrassment my father pointed out I didn't tip and I replied "what, we tip on take out now?" I guess I could go on and on but I think you get the point. The best part of the trip was getting home... CHIANG MAI!

I go home every year and enjoy it every year.

Same with me. It's like a enjoyable holiday in my home country. The first days are most bizarre. All the old women with their strange dogs in dog trousers. The rush and anonymity on the streets. Everywhere well dressed Farangs. Eastern European beggars with violins and piano accordions. Street performer. Shops overfull with goods. Enormous variety of food in the supermarkets. Huge cleaning machines. Daily many different concerts of all kind of music. No Pick Ups and only a few motorcycles. Hordes of people on expansive bicycles. Taxes are Mercedes Benz. People kissing each other on the streets, in the parks...it's like another planet.

Edited by Birdman

• 3 weeks later...

Well I am back and happy to be back. My trip overall went fairly well. The few panic attacks that I had were family related anyway and less because of any reverse culture shock. I had disdain for my country for a long time however visiting just in the last few weeks I somewhat miss it already. My plan now regardless of how I feel about it is to change continents with my wife and son in the months ahead. We will all be going to Sin City Nevada to try and make a name for ourselves. The nice thing about being married to a Thai and being a father of a half Thai boy is that Thailand will never be very far away for me. I am taking the important pieces with me, and when I need the whole thing then it will be called a "family trip" to go and see the inlaws in Udon.

worst parts of the trip: flight time, price of food was very high, slow drivers, weather ( it was cold when i was there), being able to understand strangers boring conversations. Fat and rude people (not all but enough to note). A brother on dope.

best parts: of the trip: a wonderful beer selection, good friends stay true friends over time, TV with HD ready channels, English programming on TV, Spoken english with my own accent and understood by complete strangers. The place is clean EVERYWHERE and never noticed as much until I was back.

p.s. an interesting observation that I made is that Thai's live outside and socialize and pass the time away outdoors. Westerners hide behind walls and do something in there that I am not too entirely sure of. (I'll get back to you if i can figure it out)...

The place is clean EVERYWHERE and never noticed as much until I was back.

Even my wife mentioned that this last time when we got back.

I pointed out a $500 fine for littering sign to her :)

§339‑8 Penalties. (a) Except as otherwise provided by this chapter, any person violating any provision of this chapter or any rule adopted under this chapter shall be guilty of a violation, and shall be fined not less than $100, and not more than $500 for each offense, and ordered to pick up and remove litter from a public place under the supervision of the director as follows:

(1) For the first offense, the violator shall spend four hours of either picking up litter or performing community service; and

(2) For any subsequent offense, the violator shall spend eight hours of either picking up litter or performing community service.